PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Words on things I watched, read & heard

These are gold! I love the diversity of the run game. Numbers, power. The details, footwork. LSU was like once and lifetime last year lol. So good.

CEH patience, vision and ability lateral is next level stuff. Patience is just his game. Like he'll set up his blocks, cool but it's the press & patience at the los. Ability to draw his man/defender in from the 2nd level and bounce it out. He always seems under control. Knows his limits. Love how he covers up the ball.

Some beautiful footwork here. Very efficient. Like everything is quick off and back to the ground. Initial step is forward/going slant never back. Never in the same spot, always headed to the spot. Same foot/shoulder. Near foot. Very efficient by the big guys.

This is always a great tutorial, to an extent but even better example perhaps. How everyone is responsible for a man. Even the QB. Again its one of the reasons they call out protection. For the blitz. Everyone has a task. Vice versa, conversely the defense really has to account for the QB when the player can move. Its a whole different ballgame. It's doesn't matter if it's Mahomes or Jackson or Burrow or Jimmy G or Wilson or Murray or Allen ... Well it matters a little, let's be honest but the larger more important point remains. The QB has to be accounted for in a different way when they can move. At this point it's the normal. QB's have to be able to have some mobility.

Apologies if already posted somewhere else. This caused quite the uproar earlier on the bird. Not the gospel but PFF chimes in when things are already hot.

IMG_20201113_180240.jpg

The Niners' defense is dirty. I've been saying it since we played them several weeks ago - it's subtle and low-key, but it's absolutely there and clearly coached, not a fluke. Lots of headhunting, dropping helmets late, aiming for head/neck/chin. Subtle things where it happens late, or they adjust their angle to just 'clip' a guy without it looking egregious, but it's still equally (if not more) dangerous.

Saw this hit by Ward and just confirmed everything I've been saying. Hope they start punishing hits like these with suspensions; no place for them in the game.

Dugger had like 2 bad run fits. Held his own in coverage but could tighten it up a little in space. That comes with experience and feel. He was great on outside contain. I think the first play he smashes 86, keeps it on another play but when the threat is gone outside he lays out a RB up the middle.
It's not easy being that physical and being right. Guys are afraid of making mistakes and slow down a bit to play it safe. Dugger is playing fast and not out of place that much at all. Sounds obvious but it's not easy. The speed of the game is too much for a lot of prospects. Very impressive to me. He's playing his role, reliable but always will fly around, 15 yards away from his marks to make a play.

From D2 to taking on NFL OL/TE like he's been here before. Great to see. I mentioned it somewhere in this thread but this was the year to judge the draft picks, draft analysis etc Years of tape, on the team from the previous ones and with the exits/Covid you knew the 2020 class was playing. Dugger was high up on my PTP Big board so again great to see.

Another prospect on the PTP Big Board. Uche could be huge if Bill let's him loose on occasions like this.
We miss this. Scheme'd up pressure is great but teams can adjust and prepare for that. Sometimes you need to just go from A to B and make it happen yourself. We need the finish. Sacks are huge in this league, they're drive killers. Not the end all but much needed at times.

Uche uses the hesi to soften up the edge and tackle bites. Double swipe/Rip and finish.

Another PTP on the big board. One of the bigger stories and surprises of the year. On this team and around the league, he's been great. Been all over the line and playing great.

His first step is a killer at times. He tries to make up for it with his second step like he did on the sack. It's forward or not gaining enough depth. It's not a deal breaker but something he could improve imo.

Very smart guy and very nice! I always ask him questions, he's a great follow. Loves the Pogues. And not going to lie I love listening to the voice. I can't lie.

More Brooks

Some thoughts on Harris from draft night ...
Harris graded out at 7.94. Just below the 2nd. Big time PTP. Mommas boy.

Great vision. Eyes are always up & looking but he isnt looking to bounce it 100 different ways. He's following protocol, looking for quickest hole & taking off. Love his vision. Easily one of the best in the class imo when it comes to that. Just a great feel for where he is, where he wants to go/be.
Knows the OL calls as well as the line. Very involved player.
Tough person, tough player.
Played ST, RB, WR in hs. Soft hands you can check down to no problem.
Very aware, patient & smart in pass pro. Isnt afraid & brings the fight to the rush. Always looking to help out, chip.
Good acceleration, not great. Isnt going to run away from DB's but who cares. If hes ripping off + runs, protecting Brady & reliable in the rec game/in general we have a very capable, ready RB to step in anytime. Not much miles bc of the Bama backfield.

Our RB Corp is seriously good if healthy. Sony, White, Rex & Harris are all somewhat interchangeable 3 down backs for us.

Tough. Doesn't dance around. Again I love his vision. Its a Big + for me. Dont care about his speed or lack thereof. He has enough juice, acceleration to rip of 20-40 chunks which is fine by me. Very good in pass pro. Another big +. Doesn't fumble. Not the upside Sony has in the rec game but he can catch ...

He's been a breath of fresh air for sure. Tough, grind-out yards after contact. Can push the pile. Just a consistent, tough runner. He moved bodies the other night a few times but also pressed the line and made a few nice moves to make it happen. Not someone with incredible lateral ability but can make things happen if the inside is clogged.

I remember watching Tua one time and Harris's pass pro just stood out. Very calm and on point every time. He did that a few times with other things.

Again just a really consistent player. I hope all our guys contribute big time bit Harris, Rex & White seem to be a nice mix, a nice blend of what you need today. Not a shot at Sony I'm hoping he's a big factor if he can get on the field.

Harris & Meyers for that matter have stepped up and seized the opportunity at hand. Big-time congrats. Both had 1st rounders in front of them. Not ideal circumstances and have really played great for us. Both reliable guys, consistent, move the chains types. Both deserve praise but more importantly consistent touches going forward.

WVU play a lot of Bear and variations off it too. I'm very intrigued by the chess match up front. OL V DL. Specifically what's going to become of the LB position. I feel like it's been morphing with the S position for a while now and wouldn't be shocked to see that continue in a pass happy league that ask more & more out of the S spot.

Good acceleration, not great. Isnt going to run away from DB's but who cares. If hes ripping off + runs, protecting Brady & reliable in the rec game/in general we have a very capable, ready RB to step in anytime.

Pretty funny slip up.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Back