PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Words on things I watched, read & heard

Where to start? Idk? We're in rough shape for sure.

QB - Cam seems like a great guy but hasn't been that effective or good this year. Under the microscope he still has poor footwork. It's like he's walking uphill the way he's setting his feet, all staggered and off balance and effect launch points. The easy passes that are ducks, into the dirt. How many batted passes from left to right side? Late on reads and pulling the trigger. Cam hasn't been good and it's seems like there's a lack of faith in Stid.

OL/Josh - wasn't great but didn't get any help. I don't want to make excuses but the game plan was wackado. Is Harris hurt? What's going there bc he was absent after the 2nd QR I believe. It was nice to see a variation off the a crack or fake crack play but some of the toss/sweep stuff has gotten predictable. Idk OL had trouble but they need some direction here. Wynn got rolled up on. Just a forgettable day all around. Josh needs to be a little more creative though.

DEF - I mentioned this a few times but defense doesn't necessarily translate and we're seeing. We really are depleted though. We have some pieces but need help in the way of reinforcements. Bill is as good as it gets scheming up pressure up needs a few more players indeed. And at least one more disruptor upfront and a legit NT. We have very guys who can reset the line. Both LB & DL.

I don't have the #'s to back this up but I'd say we're not nearly as good covering the flat, shallow underneath/MOF. It's another off/on issue all year.

I see a lot off very good players but we need a few game changers. It's so apparent when a QB has forever to pass and our stunts are getting nowhere. I heard Byrd talking after the game. "We have to do things our way" and things to that effect when talking about the offense and scoring. That's great but it's a tough way to live. You can win rushing the football, being a running team but you have to pass to score. You must have an efficient QB that can convert TD's, sustain drives and protect the football.

I think we can end the Gunna experiment. Nice guy but seriously what is he doing out there? He ends up in air every other play, always looks likes about to get crushed. Adds nothing as a WR. I don't understand how he's made it two years. Like what are we expecting or doing here? Again it's a rollercoaster every time he has the ball.

Bentley has been bad. At some point you have to face facts. I won't argue about the lack of help he has but just like Cam. Under a scope he's been bad.

We're 4-6. Lost to a bad Broncos & Texans team. They might be better than their record indicates but they're still bad to mediocre teams. Almost lost to the winless NYJ. Blown out by SF. Played Seattle & KC tough but we're missing the playoffs with running the table and a ton of help.

Baltimore might need a new HC. This has been embarrassing.

4 Guys had hands on him at one point.

This needs to happen. Washington's defense looks legit. A win could solidify a possible QB2 spot for Wilson if he deals against Duff, Molten & co.

BYU thinks if they go undefeated they'll have a shot but I doubt it. Especially if Cinci remains undefeated.

This would be awesome if it happens. Early Xmas gift. It would be cool bc of how crazy the year is.

Last edited:

QB - Cam seems like a great guy but hasn't been that effective or good this year. Under the microscope he still has poor footwork. It's like he's walking uphill the way he's setting his feet, all staggered and off balance and effect launch points. The easy passes that are ducks, into the dirt. How many batted passes from left to right side? Late on reads and pulling the trigger. Cam hasn't been good and it's seems like there's a lack of faith in Stid.
I would still like to see what Stidham can do with a week's prep.
OL/Josh - wasn't great but didn't get any help. I don't want to make excuses but the game plan was wackado. Is Harris hurt? What's going there bc he was absent after the 2nd QR I believe. It was nice to see a variation off the a crack or fake crack play but some of the toss/sweep stuff has gotten predictable. Idk OL had trouble but they need some direction here. Wynn got rolled up on. Just a forgettable day all around. Josh needs to be a little more creative though.
I say this again, it's the Fangio defense. Throw everybody at the OL and we can't seem to find an open man. I don't do all 22 so I don't know if its the OC, QB or WR's but after Fangio beat us that way, we should have a plan to combat it.
DEF - I mentioned this a few times but defense doesn't necessarily translate and we're seeing. We really are depleted though. We have some pieces but need help in the way of reinforcements. Bill is as good as it gets scheming up pressure up needs a few more players indeed. And at least one more disruptor upfront and a legit NT. We have very guys who can reset the line. Both LB & DL.
Houston didn't even bother with the run game. I thought Winovich gave up his edge 8-10 times. It seemed like every time he ducked inside, Watson went outside and got a first down with a pass or run. He needs to come off the DE position and move to inside linebacker. Once again BB was explaining things to him and Winovich was explaining back. Yegads, just listen. He just can't stay home. I said before he might become Bruschi and everyone thought I was joking. I wasn't. Bentley is just not good. The only tackle I remember was 8 yards downfield from a chase position. The only consistent pieces in the front seven are Guy, Simon and Philipps. None of them are pieces you build around. Never liked Wise, thought he wouldn't make the team this year. I have hopes for Davis but the run game was not an issue yesterday. Now I am a 100% kool aid drinking BB apologist but this defense is not making sense. Who is in charge and why? If Stevie B is the DC then name him and quit protecting him. Last week guys played different positions and were effective, this week they were back to their same rotation with the same bad results. Leave Jennings and Uche outside. I'm beginning to think BB is just tinkering this year and if things work out fine, if not, fine. I don't see him making big splashes in free agency but I see him bringing in some "do your job" types.
I don't have the #'s to back this up but I'd say we're not nearly as good covering the flat, shallow underneath/MOF. It's another off/on issue all year.
We've never been good on the middle of the field, it's the area BB concedes to protect deep except we are not protecting deep.
I see a lot off very good players but we need a few game changers. It's so apparent when a QB has forever to pass and our stunts are getting nowhere. I heard Byrd talking after the game. "We have to do things our way" and things to that effect when talking about the offense and scoring. That's great but it's a tough way to live. You can win rushing the football, being a running team but you have to pass to score. You must have an efficient QB that can convert TD's, sustain drives and protect the football.
Yes, it's the needed antidote to the Fangio defense and Cam and/or the offense doesn't seem capable of executing it.
I think we can end the Gunna experiment. Nice guy but seriously what is he doing out there? He ends up in air every other play, always looks likes about to get crushed. Adds nothing as a WR. I don't understand how he's made it two years. Like what are we expecting or doing here? Again it's a rollercoaster every time he has the ball.
Yes, I was pulling for him, but he has peaked and it's not high enough.
Bentley has been bad. At some point you have to face facts. I won't argue about the lack of help he has but just like Cam. Under a scope he's been bad.
See abover.
We're 4-6. Lost to a bad Broncos & Texans team. They might be better than their record indicates but they're still bad to mediocre teams. Almost lost to the winless NYJ. Blown out by SF. Played Seattle & KC tough but we're missing the playoffs with running the table and a ton of help.
I do think Denver and Houston are better than their records. Apparently we are not. Denver good defense, Houston good offense. Watson was REALLY GOOD. I was not a believer but after yesterday I am. I thought he was just helter skelter but he is very accurate and made a few good quick decisions and just seems like a water bug in the pocket. RAC always devises a scheme that limits the Pats effectiveness.
At this point I am officially giving up on the playoffs this season UNLESS we can beat Arizona, LAC and LAR, then I will climb back on the bandwagon. Don't see that happening.

Agree. Would like to see some accountability. I love Gunner's story...but he should not be out there period. Bentley has been awful and I do not know why he is playing. Why not give some Practice squad guys an opportunity and see if there is anything there,.

I would still like to see what Stidham can do with a week's prep.
I wouldn't hate it at this point but I'm just speculating on the staff's confidence in him at this point.
I say this again, it's the Fangio defense. Throw everybody at the OL and we can't seem to find an open man. I don't do all 22 so I don't know if its the OC, QB or WR's but after Fangio beat us that way, we should have a plan to combat it.
Houston didn't even bother with the run game. I thought Winovich gave up his edge 8-10 times. It seemed like every time he ducked inside, Watson went outside and got a first down with a pass or run. He needs to come off the DE position and move to inside linebacker. Once again BB was explaining things to him and Winovich was explaining back. Yegads, just listen. He just can't stay home. I said before he might become Bruschi and everyone thought I was joking. I wasn't. Bentley is just not good. The only tackle I remember was 8 yards downfield from a chase position. The only consistent pieces in the front seven are Guy, Simon and Philipps. None of them are pieces you build around. Never liked Wise, thought he wouldn't make the team this year. I have hopes for Davis but the run game was not an issue yesterday. Now I am a 100% kool aid drinking BB apologist but this defense is not making sense. Who is in charge and why? If Stevie B is the DC then name him and quit protecting him. Last week guys played different positions and were effective, this week they were back to their same rotation with the same bad results. Leave Jennings and Uche outside. I'm beginning to think BB is just tinkering this year and if things work out fine, if not, fine. I don't see him making big splashes in free agency but I see him bringing in some "do your job" types.
We've never been good on the middle of the field, it's the area BB concedes to protect deep except we are not protecting deep.
Like I said I don't have the #'s in front of me but we were a lot better defending those areas last year. Teams have been beating us on those option routes in the MOF & the flat is worse of ad well imo. Again I don't have any #'s or stats but it seems pretty clear from last year.
Yes, it's the needed antidote to the Fangio defense and Cam and/or the offense doesn't seem capable of executing it.

Yes, I was pulling for him, but he has peaked and it's not high enough.

See abover.

I do think Denver and Houston are better than their records. Apparently we are not. Denver good defense, Houston good offense. Watson was REALLY GOOD. I was not a believer but after yesterday I am. I thought he was just helter skelter but he is very accurate and made a few good quick decisions and just seems like a water bug in the pocket. RAC always devises a scheme that limits the Pats effectiveness.
At this point I am officially giving up on the playoffs this season UNLESS we can beat Arizona, LAC and LAR, then I will climb back on the bandwagon. Don't see that happening.

Absolutely no timing, late/hesitant & stares down every other WR. Footwork has been bogus. Let's get fired up about a pump fake on a play where he had proper time. C'mon Evan you're better than this. This is garbage with all due respect.

And then two mins later ...

This is a 10 year vet we're talking about. Not a rookie or some young player. If you can't get rid of the ball quick. Make quick, accurate reads in today's game then seriously wtf are we talking about here?? And for all the talk about how vocal he is and how great a leader he is I haven't heard his voice pre-snap more than 4 times this year. Just passive and dumb mistakes at the line as well.

I was as happy as anyone going from Brady to Cam. I just can't stand this pseudo-analysis, bury your head in the sand approach on things. I get they have to put out content but the idea that its clear Cam is the QBOF (QB of Future) after last week or any recent game is just dumb.

I swear these guys are afraid to make waves or speak up when it's called for. Probably why none stand out or are "must see" imo. I expect better from Evan. Ryan is nice kid, hes like 25 so you can't hold it against him. No idea who that other muppet is?

Absolutely no timing, late/hesitant & stares down every other WR. Footwork has been bogus. Let's get fired up about a pump fake on a play where he had proper time. C'mon Evan you're better than this. This is garbage with all due respect.

This is a 10 year vet we're talking about. Not a rookie or some young player. If you can't get rid of the ball quick. Make quick, accurate reads in today's game then seriously wtf are we talking about here?? And for all the talk about how vocal he is and how great a leader he is I haven't heard his voice pre-snap more than 4 times this year. Just passive and dumb mistakes at the line as well.

I was as happy as anyone going from Brady to Cam. I just can't stand this pseudo-analysis, bury your head in the sand approach on things. I get they have to put out content but the idea that its clear Cam is the QBOF (QB of Future) after last week or any recent game is just dumb.

I swear these guys are afraid to make waves or speak up when it's called for. Probably why none stand out or are "must see" imo. I expect better from Evan. Ryan is nice kid, hes like 25 so you can't hold it against him. No idea who that other muppet is?

Right on cue .... This does absolutely nothing for me and doesn't back up anything. I love Brad but this isn't convincing.

I'd love to some objective thoughts if anyone has any on the subject? I could be way off. I wouldn't be opposed to cheap money deal with Can if Bill doesn't want to go young or can't make a trade. I'm just saying last game was no epiphany. He's been up & down all with bad mechanics and again ... Late since Miami.

*Edit* I know im firing shots but I really like some of these guys. They're smart and good at what they do for the most part. I just have a big mouth and think it's a little weird everyone has the same headline here about Cam.

I also don't see big difference myself but I'm dumb and could be wrong. I just see a lot of things flawed that have nothing to do with NEP. Like his mechanics have been an issue. He's had periods of really good play bc of them bc they've been tight but it's always been a rollercoaster.

I know he's in a new system but the batted balls & hesitancy at times are killers at this stage.

I understand we've been spoiled for decades but that doesn't mean we have to settle. Again if Bill isn't interested in grooming a baby face like Wilson or Strong then I wouldn't hate a cheap Newton deal. I just can't pretend that some switch was hit or he's been so good recently.

Also lets say his play improves slightly. Are we ready to sign him under a bigger deal although short term.

Last edited:
Right on cue .... This does absolutely nothing for me and doesn't back up anything. I love Brad but this isn't convincing.

I'd love to some objective thoughts if anyone has any on the subject? I could be way off. I wouldn't be opposed to cheap money deal with Can if Bill doesn't want to go young or can't make a trade. I'm just saying last game was no epiphany. He's been up & down all with bad mechanics and again ... Late since Miami.

*Edit* I know im firing shots but I really like some of these guys. They're smart and good at what they do for the most part. I just have a big mouth and think it's a little weird everyone has the same headline here about Cam.

I also don't see big difference myself but I'm dumb and could be wrong. I just see a lot of things flawed that have nothing to do with NEP. Like his mechanics have been an issue. He's had periods of really good play bc of them bc they've been tight but it's always been a rollercoaster.

I know he's in a new system but the batted balls & hesitancy at times are killers at this stage.

I understand we've been spoiled for decades but that doesn't mean we have to settle. Again if Bill isn't interested in grooming a baby face like Wilson or Strong then I wouldn't hate a cheap Newton deal. I just can't pretend that some switch was hit or he's been so good recently.

Also lets say his play improves slightly. Are we ready to sign him under a bigger deal although short term.

I wouldn't mind to get Newton on a cheap deal back with a rookie qb. I would like to get one who can move better sth like faster feet who can extend the play when the defense screwed it up. Newton can't go out of the pocket really or make throws on short drops it seems (that are just some quick thoughts from the games so far without studying newtons tape). I actually like Newton, his effort and character are great according to reports, but don't see him really as a longterm answer. Maybe he will play better with more time a full training camp and better weapons but i would like to see a young guy coming in too. I would prefer Newton over a trade for a vet or a guy like jimmy g tough,

Thanks for the great post. You know so much more than me - please correct my comments below where I am wrong. I only comment because I want to keep the discussion going - I am so tired of the other discussion topics - BB can't draft a WR, Harry and Michel are busts, and the BB versus TB comparisons.

I think Cam and Brady are similar in that they do limited things REALLY well as opposed to other QBs who do everything marginally to pretty well. At the same time, Cam and Brady are opposites, and this is where I think people get confused. Joe Judge tells us that Brady's weaknesses are the long ball, outside the numbers and movement in the pocket - if you watched the Tampa Bay game last night you saw this. We have come to see (as you noted above) Cam's weaknesses are reading defenses, footwork, middle of the field, and dump offs. Total opposites. What Cam is good at Brady is bad at, and vice versa, but they are both REALLY good at what they do well.

For example, Cam sees the deep balls and out routes well. On an out route there is nobody lurking on the sideline to intercept the pass and rarely are two defenders involved, it is a simple read and takes a really strong arm. Cam HAD a really strong arm, Brady not so much. On deep balls it can get complicated with Cover1 or 2 and guys rotating deep (like Brady's final pick last night), and these plays take more time to develop. For some reason Cam is comfortable sitting back and he can process the field as it unfolds like in Evan's video above. Brady cannot throw deep, and for some reason appears to get nervous and loses patience reading the longer developing plays. Brady can read pre-snap and adjust the play and blocking, Cam is poor at that. Brady is great at the 3 step drop and short 2 second pass routes. Cam appears as though he cannot process the field that quickly. It is tough to understand how Tom can process the "bang-bang" plays but does not always read the longer developing plays well. Cam's footwork is lousy, maybe he has always been so athletic he did not have to work on it, and that leads to poorer short and dump off passes. Brady's shifts his feet well (I think he practices this a lot) so his over the middle and dump off passes anticipate the play and lead the receiver correctly. Brady is almost seamless passing to James White.

So what did we see against the Texans? They crowded the line, like a run blitz, took away the wide running lanes, and pressed Cam so he did not have time to process the play. Also when you crowd the line, if the line assignments are not set correctly there might be a hole for someone to shoot through for a sack. Cam does not see the play well pre-snap, and is not good at the <2 sec dump off for 5 to 15 yards. So by playing a run blitz defense against a QB who can not react with adjustments and the short, quick pass, the defense is not "made to pay" for leaving gaps in the passing defense. Brady would make the Texans pay for the defensive strategy, Cam can not do it.

Also the quick strike passing game depends on YAC. Since Cam does not lead receivers well, there is little YAC (like people here have noted with Jakobi Myers). So Cam might throw a short pass but it is for 5 yards only as the receiver contorts their body to catch the pass or has to stop and then start again which ruins the YAC.

So I think Lazar is right that Cam does some things well while we are frustrated that Brady's "make them pay for the blitz" passes are not there. I agree with you - I think Lazar's comments are valid, but the out routes and long ball rarely lead to ten AFC titles in a row because the blitz is too effective against those longer developing plays. For that reason I would prefer to move on from Cam.

Does that make any sense? I have never looked at All22 film, I know the A and B gaps are between the center and guards but have no idea which is the A or B gap, so read with caution!! :)

And even during this highlight, Lazar refutes his own case: Byrd was so wide open that a better throw would've allowed him to turn upfield and gain some serious YAC...Instead, he barely has room to catch Cam's pass in bounds...

And even during this highlight, Lazar refutes his own case: Byrd was so wide open that a better throw would've allowed him to turn upfield and gain some serious YAC...Instead, he barely has room to catch Cam's pass in bounds...

Agree. I saw that too. Should have thrown the ball a second earlier but I think Cam takes awhile to process it all so earlier is not on the table.

Thanks for the great post. You know so much more than me - please correct my comments below where I am wrong. I only comment because I want to keep the discussion going - I am so tired of the other discussion topics - BB can't draft a WR, Harry and Michel are busts, and the BB versus TB comparisons.
Appreciate it. I really don't know a lot but please I welcome discussion. Especially on all things not beaten to death like you mentioned.
I think Cam and Brady are similar in that they do limited things REALLY well as opposed to other QBs who do everything marginally to pretty well. At the same time, Cam and Brady are opposites, and this is where I think people get confused. Joe Judge tells us that Brady's weaknesses are the long ball, outside the numbers and movement in the pocket - if you watched the Tampa Bay game last night you saw this. We have come to see (as you noted above) Cam's weaknesses are reading defenses, footwork, middle of the field, and dump offs. Total opposites. What Cam is good at Brady is bad at, and vice versa, but they are both REALLY good at what they do well.
Agree with a lot in general. Especially the footwork part. If you don't have it, you're fighting a losing battle and have to play the way Cam does. Stick n shoot, predetermined stuff. Has to see it develop before pulling the trigger. Hence the batted balls, obvious staring down some WRs. More comfortable on the deep stuff.
For example, Cam sees the deep balls and out routes well. On an out route there is nobody lurking on the sideline to intercept the pass and rarely are two defenders involved, it is a simple read and takes a really strong arm. Cam HAD a really strong arm, Brady not so much. On deep balls it can get complicated with Cover1 or 2 and guys rotating deep (like Brady's final pick last night), and these plays take more time to develop. For some reason Cam is comfortable sitting back and he can process the field as it unfolds like in Evan's video above. Brady cannot throw deep, and for some reason appears to get nervous and loses patience reading the longer developing plays. Brady can read pre-snap and adjust the play and blocking, Cam is poor at that. Brady is great at the 3 step drop and short 2 second pass routes. Cam appears as though he cannot process the field that quickly. It is tough to understand how Tom can process the "bang-bang" plays but does not always read the longer developing plays well. Cam's footwork is lousy, maybe he has always been so athletic he did not have to work on it, and that leads to poorer short and dump off passes. Brady's shifts his feet well (I think he practices this a lot) so his over the middle and dump off passes anticipate the play and lead the receiver correctly. Brady is almost seamless passing to James White.
Again agree with a lot here. Brady & Bill are the ultimate counter-punchers.
So what did we see against the Texans? They crowded the line, like a run blitz, took away the wide running lanes, and pressed Cam so he did not have time to process the play. Also when you crowd the line, if the line assignments are not set correctly there might be a hole for someone to shoot through for a sack. Cam does not see the play well pre-snap, and is not good at the <2 sec dump off for 5 to 15 yards. So by playing a run blitz defense against a QB who can not react with adjustments and the short, quick pass, the defense is not "made to pay" for leaving gaps in the passing defense. Brady would make the Texans pay for the defensive strategy, Cam can not do it.

Also the quick strike passing game depends on YAC. Since Cam does not lead receivers well, there is little YAC (like people here have noted with Jakobi Myers). So Cam might throw a short pass but it is for 5 yards only as the receiver contorts their body to catch the pass or has to stop and then start again which ruins the YAC.

So I think Lazar is right that Cam does some things well while we are frustrated that Brady's "make them pay for the blitz" passes are not there. I agree with you - I think Lazar's comments are valid, but the out routes and long ball rarely lead to ten AFC titles in a row because the blitz is too effective against those longer developing plays. For that reason I would prefer to move on from Cam.

Does that make any sense? I have never looked at All22 film, I know the A and B gaps are between the center and guards but have no idea which is the A or B gap, so read with caution!! :)
You definitely make some good points about the differences between Cam & Brady.

And Evan and Brad arent necessarily wrong in their breakdowns. It's just nothing new in terms of Cam being a rollercoaster. He's up & down but the flaws are too big to overcome at this stage. And I'm not really getting anything new to declare a go-ahead for next year and just skipping over a prospect. Bill may decide that but that's bc his age. Not bc Cam passed some threshold last week and is suddenly a QB you can really depend on.

Good post and I started writing this hours ago when I liked your post but my work hours have been a little crazy 830pm-5am 7 days. Happy to have a few days off for Thanksgiving

I found it funny that Evan retweeted someone saying Cam's footwork, timing, short & intermediate stuff for that matter is off but this is a guy that just turned a corner this week.

Like its 2020 in the NFL. If you can't make quick, accurate passes to save your life what are we talking about?

I could definitely see an improvement if we had Golladay and another deep threat but we have to really make it easy on him to make it work.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back