PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Why not offer a 5th for Trent Green?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Somethings up with the forum. New posts are being added into the middle of threads instead of on the end.

I would agree with the premise of the thread, but the Dolphins are so far behind and such a zero threat right now to the Pats that it just isn't worth the effort.

If the Jets were the team involved, I might say differently.

The Pats already pwned the Dolphins over Welker. I don't see the need for the Pats to make decisions that are hard enough as it is even more complicated by wasting a pick on Green.

As others have said, I don't see a Green acquisition as an improvement for the Patriots or a worthwhile effort to undercut a rival's efforts. Miami is not a lock yet for Green, other teams who might desire a "starter" to ease their worries or transitions: Atlanta, Minnesota, Detroit, Baltimore, Dallas, Oakland, Cleveland, Washington.

The Trent Green of the 2005 season was definitely an above average QB, who would definitely help Miami and would be, as noted, a perfect bridge to either Beck or Lemon. No one knows if the sub par play of Green in the playoffs was the result of a player's declining skills, or because of his serious concussion.

Miami isn't budging because they KNOW that KC has to cut him. THey are NOT going to keep a 7MM dollar back up, especially one who could divide that lockerroom the second Huard has a bad game. So while its true, a starting NFL QB SHOULD normally be worth more than a 4th round pick....just not in this instance.

Phins fans aren't concerned because Green has some familiarity with the system, but they should be concerned. He played with Cameron in Washington. THat was SEVERAL years ago, and "familiarity" is NOT comfort. Delaying any "trade" or release is only to the Pat's benefit

BTW- KC is going into free fall this season and will battle the Raiders for the AFCW basement. Herm will be gone after next season. Also I believe we are way ahead of the Phins at this point, but it really doesn't matter. No matter how good or bad they are, they usually manage a split.

With the much drawn out dance between the Chiefs & Fins over Trent Green and the complete intransigence on the Fins part to offer more than a 6th, why not screw the Fins and keep them from improving by offering a 5th for Green.

The Pats get a capable vet backup in case the unspeakable happens, which is IMO is worth a 5th on its own when you are talking about a team that is the favorite for the Super Bowl.

To make the Fish less of a threat in the process is icing on the cake.

Of course, the sticking point would likely be $$$, as in Trent would want too much, but you never know, if something could be worked out that made financial sense, I think the cost of a 5th is more than worth it.

Can't be done. Green wants to start and he can only do that in miami, so he would refuse to re-do his contract forcing the pats to pay their back-up QB 7 mill a year...

I would agree with the premise of the thread, but the Dolphins are so far behind and such a zero threat right now to the Pats that it just isn't worth the effort.

If the Jets were the team involved, I might say differently.

Zero threat? Come on, I'm sure you were more concerned about Miami last year huh?

Zero threat? Come on, I'm sure you were more concerned about Miami last year huh?

You of all people should know that no one here was concerned about Miami last year.

You of all people should know that no one here was concerned about Miami last year.

Yeah but your fan base was in the miniorty. But what else would I expect, you guys seem to think the Patriots are the only team that matters in the NFL.

Yes, but that was last year.....before they started playing.

They are as much of a threat as Buffalo at this time. The only team in the AFC East that is any threat (and it is a small one) is the Jets.

Saban bolting set you folks back half a decade...... and, even WITH him, your team couldn't make the playoffs.

Sorry.

Yeah but your fan base was in the miniorty.

The correct minority.

You know who else doen't view the Dolphins as a threat to the AFC East in the near future - Nick Saban who got out of dodge.

Last edited:
Yes, but that was last year.....before they started playing.

They are as much of a threat as Buffalo at this time. The only team in the AFC East that is any threat (and it is a small one) is the Jets.

Saban bolting set you folks back half a decade...... and, even WITH him, your team couldn't make the playoffs.

Sorry.

Dang, we lost a coach who was 15-17, what ever will we do? How does him leaving set us back? All he did was make terrible free agent decisions, trade away picks, and get all of his players to hate him. His idea of building a team was gathering mediocre talent and having camp competition to make those players better.

Yeah but your fan base was in the miniorty.

you guys seem to think the Patriots are the only team that matters in the NFL. sniff sniff boo hoo cry
We were right. The Dolphins were not a threat. Still aren't, and no one thinks so except for you, and then only until the games start.

There are other teams that matter in the NFL besides the Patriots. The Dolphins just aren't one of them.

New England Patriots
NY Jets
Bullalo Bills
Miami Dolphins

At least you will be getting a good draft pick again this year.

Why is that? With parity, the sucky teams usually get better. Are the Dolphins becoming the new Bengals? High draft picks year after year and making stupid picks? (Forget drating a franchise QB, let's build our team around a punt returner. Yeah, Offense wins games, punt returns win championships.)

We were right. The Dolphins were not a threat. Still aren't, and no one thinks so except for you, and then only until the games start.

There are other teams that matter in the NFL besides the Patriots. The Dolphins just aren't one of them.

New England Patriots
NY Jets
Bullalo Bills
Miami Dolphins

At least you will be getting a good draft pick again this year.

Why is that? With parity, the sucky teams usually get better. Are the Dolphins becoming the new Bengals? High draft picks year after year and making stupid picks? (Forget drating a franchise QB, let's build our team around a punt returner. Yeah, Offense wins games, punt returns win championships.)

Yep, you're the all knowing, you've got me convinced now. That must be how it's going to go because spaceguy said so.

Yep, you're the all knowing, you've got me convinced now. That must be how it's going to go because spaceguy said so.

This is like deja vu all over again with Aqua...

A lot of us tried to tell him two years ago that beating us in a meaningless week 17 game, on our way to the playoffs and the dolphins way to the golf course, was indicative of nothing. That in fact the way Saban was carrying on about winning meaningless games like a male cheerleader was about as un-Belichickean as you can get. We also told him that Daunte Culpepper was a waste of time, and backing him up with Joey Harrington was just insuring redundant mediocrity at the QB position - something Miami HC's have been saddling themselves with for a decade now.

This year we're telling him that his beloved 'Phins are more than just a concussed 38 year old QB, or a 2nd round rookie QB from BYU away from remotely resembling a contender. His team just spent - correct that wasted two years attempting to implement Saban's philosophy. The end result was about as successful as when his predecessor was at the helm. Now they will undertake their third system in 3 years, under another rookie NFL HC. And one who has the same guy shopping for his groceries as the last guy had - someone Saban planned to fire had he not bolted himself. It's almost too easy.

The Dolphins are at least two years away from being relavent. And by then the glue that held that defense together through the Wandstat years and made at least it formidable, Thomas and Taylor, will be over 35 - and Huizenga will have probably sold the team to some hotshot who wants to start his own rebuilding program in Miami.

Believe me, when it's time for the rest of the AFC to worry about Miami, Pat's fans will be the first to let Aqua know.

I had a dream where I met Aqua in a fast food restaurant and he was like 10 years old and was with his mother and started telling me about how he goes onto message boards pretending to be some college kid and all he talks about is how great the Dolphins are.

I'm not trying to talk trash. That seriously happened. It was so ******* weird.

I had a dream where I met Aqua in a fast food restaurant and he was like 10 years old and was with his mother and started telling me about how he goes onto message boards pretending to be some college kid and all he talks about is how great the Dolphins are.

I'm not trying to talk trash. That seriously happened. It was so ******* weird.

Glad to know I'm in your dreams. I've left my impact here. HAHA!

Dang, we lost a coach who was 15-17, what ever will we do? How does him leaving set us back? All he did was make terrible free agent decisions, trade away picks, and get all of his players to hate him. His idea of building a team was gathering mediocre talent and having camp competition to make those players better.

You're right.

Saban really screwed up the glorious legacy of his predecessor, Wannstedt!

Face the facts. The Miami organization is as screwed up as their baseball field stadium. Off the top of my head, I can only think of one other franchise that plays its games on a baseball diamond - - the Oakland Raiders. That pairing makes sense.

Your team is no threat in 2007. New England fans see the Dolphins as a joke.
The Jets are the only other respectable team in the AFC East.

Your team is irrelevant in the 2007 NFL picture.

You're right.

Saban really screwed up the glorious legacy of his predecessor, Wannstedt!

Face the facts. The Miami organization is as screwed up as their baseball field stadium. Off the top of my head, I can only think of one other franchise that plays its games on a baseball diamond - - the Oakland Raiders. That pairing makes sense.

Your team is no threat in 2007. New England fans see the Dolphins as a joke.
The Jets are the only other respectable team in the AFC East.

Your team is irrelevant in the 2007 NFL picture.

I stopped reading right there. What the hell does that have to do with your franchise? Wow, ridiculous.

I stopped reading right there. What the hell does that have to do with your franchise? Wow, ridiculous.

images of Mare shanking a crucial field goal from the infield dirt

the point is...that the playing surface is a joke down there...and if you can't see how that plays into the product, then your delusion is complete...

Dang, we lost a coach who was 15-17, what ever will we do? How does him leaving set us back?

While his leaving may not set you back, his decisions the past couple of years will certainly affect you for a little while. He made some poor investments in players that are not going to make the team a whole lot better. Therefore, it's going to take some time to pull out of the funk Saban left you in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes