PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Why not offer a 5th for Trent Green?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tombonneau

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
With the much drawn out dance between the Chiefs & Fins over Trent Green and the complete intransigence on the Fins part to offer more than a 6th, why not screw the Fins and keep them from improving by offering a 5th for Green.

The Pats get a capable vet backup in case the unspeakable happens, which is IMO is worth a 5th on its own when you are talking about a team that is the favorite for the Super Bowl.

To make the Fish less of a threat in the process is icing on the cake.

Of course, the sticking point would likely be $$$, as in Trent would want too much, but you never know, if something could be worked out that made financial sense, I think the cost of a 5th is more than worth it.

Green wants a chance to start. He ain't getting it here unless the unspeakable happens. Green would be the odds on favorite to start in Miami. The guy is 37. He doesn't have much time left in the league. He isn't going to spend what might be his last year holding a clipboard for Brady if he thinks he can start in Miami. All he needs to do is refuse to redo his deal.

Green wants a chance to start. He ain't getting it here unless the unspeakable happens. Green would be the odds on favorite to start in Miami. The guy is 37. He doesn't have much time left in the league. He isn't going to spend what might be his last year holding a clipboard for Brady if he thinks he can start in Miami. All he needs to do is refuse to redo his deal.

I guess he already has a ring... so I can't say that one.

Oh well.

He was once good.

With the much drawn out dance between the Chiefs & Fins over Trent Green and the complete intransigence on the Fins part to offer more than a 6th, why not screw the Fins and keep them from improving by offering a 5th for Green.

Because smart football teams don't operate like that. Roster spots and draft picks are too valuable to waste on attempting to screw the competition. Besides which Miami has done a fine job of screwing itself for several seasons now.

The Pats get a capable vet backup in case the unspeakable happens, which is IMO is worth a 5th on its own when you are talking about a team that is the favorite for the Super Bowl.

To make the Fish less of a threat in the process is icing on the cake.

Green has been a starter his entire career, except when he lost his own job to injuries. He's leaving KC because he doesn't want to be a backup. And here he'd be 3rd on the depth chart behind 2 guys who already have a firm grasp of the system, one of whom has yet to miss a start.

Of course, the sticking point would likely be $$$, as in Trent would want too much, but you never know, if something could be worked out that made financial sense, I think the cost of a 5th is more than worth it.

His salary for this season is $7M. The postion he'd play here pays less than 1/7th of that.

I am not sure if he is signed yet,but the PERFECT 3rd string QB in my opinion available to my knowledge is Jay Fiedler - He would make a nice experienced backup QB

That would actully be a pretty good idea except for one huge road block. Trent Green wants to start and if he isn't a starter, I assume he retires. If the Cheifs hold onto Green, which would be dumb because they're eating 7.2 mil in cap that needs to go to LJ, then I think he would retire. It'd be hard to turn down 7.2 but maybe he will take it just to spite Peterson. Green will be a Dolphin eventually, it's just getting annoying.

Miami and Trent Green already have a contract worked out and his equipment has been sent to Florida, the deal is done, Peterson just needs to take his dunce cap off. If he was smart, he would've taken the 6th rounder offered to him on draft day.

Last edited:
That would actully be a pretty good idea except for one huge road block. Trent Green wants to start and if he isn't a starter, I assume he retires. If the Cheifs hold onto Green, which would be dumb because they're eating 7.2 mil in cap that needs to go to LJ, then I think he would retire. It'd be hard to turn down 7.2 but maybe he will take it just to spite Peterson. Green will be a Dolphin eventually, it's just getting annoying.

Miami and Trent Green already have a contract worked out and his equipment has been sent to Florida, the deal is done, Peterson just needs to take his dunce cap off. If he was smart, he would've taken the 6th rounder offered to him on draft day.

If Miami was smart they would have him in working himself into the team, instead they will get him on cut down day in Sept. However I dont see why Miami wants him. Miami is not (IMO) ready to challange for a playoff spot.
The only thing Green does for them is gets them closer to 8-8 and a lower draft pick.

If Miami was smart they would have him in working himself into the team, instead they will get him on cut down day in Sept. However I dont see why Miami wants him. Miami is not (IMO) ready to challange for a playoff spot.
The only thing Green does for them is gets them closer to 8-8 and a lower draft pick.

Well that's now what I'm hearing, sounding like it's a lot closer to this weekend.

http://nfl.com/nflnetwork/story/10184868

The Chiefs do not want Green there as much as he doesn't want to be there, which could provide an impetus to consummate a trade by May 21.

The reason Miami wants him is because they believe they can contend and I don't see why not with one of the best defenses in the entire league. Another reason is because Trent Green knows this offense very well and would be a great mentor/bridge to the future guy to John Beck. And lastly the only viable QB that could pass as a starter on the Dolphins' roster has just 1 knee. So there are plenty of reasons why Miami wants Trent Green.

Well that's now what I'm hearing, sounding like it's a lot closer to this weekend.

http://nfl.com/nflnetwork/story/10184868

the reason for the september date is for salary cap purposes. as long as they cut him before the first game they don't own him anything.

they don't really want him around the team, but if they decide it is worth it to try to get more from the Dolphins then they can wait.

the reason for the september date is for salary cap purposes. as long as they cut him before the first game they don't own him anything.

they don't really want him around the team, but if they decide it is worth it to try to get more from the Dolphins then they can wait.

Yeah but you'd figure that if the Cheifs ever plan on signing free agents in the future, they'd allow Trent to do what's best for him. He's been nothing but a tremendous player and citizen for the team and city, Peterson is ruining what was once a great relationship. Incoming free agents could look at this and decide to play else where.

Incoming free agents could look at this and decide to play else where.

Since the majority of free agents care only about who offers the most money, this is a very minor concern.

Since the majority of free agents care only about who offers the most money, this is a very minor concern.

Sad but mostly true. I guess my idea is moot point then. But still, these guys were great friends and partners in business, Miami was lenient enough to offer a 6th round pick when they felt that was too much; yet Peterson still demands more for a QB that he will over pay, who is past his prime and only has a year or 2 left in the tank. (And not to mention said he won't play for KC again.) I don't understand why he didn't take the 6th and be done with it. If he wanted more leverage, he shouldn't have given Damon Huard that fat deal.

Yeah but you'd figure that if the Cheifs ever plan on signing free agents in the future, they'd allow Trent to do what's best for him. He's been nothing but a tremendous player and citizen for the team and city, Peterson is ruining what was once a great relationship. Incoming free agents could look at this and decide to play else where.

your point is valid, but i have always thought stuff like that is horribly overrated. it is a business and the players know that. as things stand guys aren't going to KC because they want a ring, because the organization treats its players right, etc. any free agent going to KC is going there for money or a personal relationship with the coach. i don't see either of those changing because of this.

your point is valid, but i have always thought stuff like that is horribly overrated. it is a business and the players know that. as things stand guys aren't going to KC because they want a ring, because the organization treats its players right, etc. any free agent going to KC is going there for money or a personal relationship with the coach. i don't see either of those changing because of this.

Ahh.. just stop, you're ruining any hope I have that there are some guys that still love the game and want championships. HAHA!

I understand it's a business and sometimes I just wish these players and executives would over look that. There are still some out there that play for championships, but as the saying calls for, "money talks," and it's a shame.

Miami was lenient enough to offer a 6th round pick when they felt that was too much;

So a 4th round pick is too much to pay for a starting QB?

The only reason Miami isn't willing to pay more is that, when KC cuts him, they can get him for free. Miami is using the fact KC will cut him against KC, which only makes it fair for KC to use the fact they don't have to cut him until September against Miami.

The fact is that a starting QB, the most important player on the field, is worth more than a 6th round pick. Miami refuses to pay more, so KC refuses to make it easy on Miami. Yes KC isn't budging, but neither is Miami.

Something most people are ignoring is that there is value to Miami in getting Green right now. an increase in their offer would be simply paying for that value. if they refuse to pay for that then they have to deal with not getting that value.

I guess you could argue that the offer of a #6 is paying for getting him right now. In that case Miami and KC obviously judge the value differently.

Aqua, I think that's the price NE fans have paid for the recent success. We've been trained to view it as a business. I cannot fault you for wanting things to be a little less cold.

I am not sure if he is signed yet,but the PERFECT 3rd string QB in my opinion available to my knowledge is Jay Fiedler - He would make a nice experienced backup QB

good grief, not this again :bricks:

I would agree with the premise of the thread, but the Dolphins are so far behind and such a zero threat right now to the Pats that it just isn't worth the effort.

If the Jets were the team involved, I might say differently.

No thanks, and I'm sure Trent Green would say the same.

The fact is that a starting QB, the most important player on the field, is worth more than a 6th round pick. Miami refuses to pay more, so KC refuses to make it easy on Miami. Yes KC isn't budging, but neither is Miami.

Something most people are ignoring is that there is value to Miami in getting Green right now. an increase in their offer would be simply paying for that value. if they refuse to pay for that then they have to deal with not getting that value.
Both teams are being dumb.

KC should have fallen back from their hard line before the draft, and the Doofins need to get their future starting QB in camp NOW.

When the Doofins start the season 1-5, aqua-velva boy will be saying, "well, what did you expect, we only got our starting QB the day before the season satrted. He doesn't know the plays, has to build up a connection with the receivers, blah blah blah." He'll be right. The Doofins are just being their typical dopey selves, giving up the 34th pick in the draft for Feeley, but not even offering a fifth rounder for Green.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes