PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Why Mac Jones playing this year is important

I did - multiple times. Actually just rewatched all his throws for the 2nd Dolphins game. I can understand why BB brought him back.
Then no offense but you have no idea how to evaluate a qb.
We should just stop here. Have a nice night.

Then no offense but you have no idea how to evaluate a qb.
We should just stop here. Have a nice night.
So you think Bill Belichick doesn't know how to evaluate a QB? Why did he bring him back then?

So you think Bill Belichick doesn't know how to evaluate a QB? Why did he bring him back then?
As a back up. He paid him back up money. The day he signed him he said he was still looking for a starter. He brought back the guy that was here last year instead of other bad options so he could do exactly what he did, give them rookie all the attention he needs and get him ready to play instead of wasting time teaching the offense to a different bridge.

You just told me you watch a game where the offense put up 12 points and you like the QB play. I think you are pranking me at this point.

Eh, we kickoff 2 weeks from today at 1:00 whether belichick makes the right decision or not.
I just would like to do it without having the worst guy in the league at the most important position.
Every win counts. I’m sure belichick sees clearly.

4:25

As a back up. He paid him back up money. The day he signed him he said he was still looking for a starter. He brought back the guy that was here last year instead of other bad options so he could do exactly what he did, give them rookie all the attention he needs and get him ready to play instead of wasting time teaching the offense to a different bridge.

You just told me you watch a game where the offense put up 12 points and you like the QB play. I think you are pranking me at this point.
I'll need to get a citation for his looking for a starter. Can't find it. Yeah, he was paid backup money in 2020, too, but he was still the starter when was was eligible.

So? We won a Super Bowl with 13 points. To quote Lazar again right after that Dolphins game:
"The discussions surrounding Patriots quarterback Cam Newton are all over the map; it’s truly one of New England sports’ most polarizing topics.
Those who feel Newton’s accuracy is horrendous are exaggerating a bit, and once you tweet or write that every throw is off by ten yards, you lose me; it’s just not the case, so stop it.
On Sunday, Newton had an adjusted completion percentage of 80% and his best completion percentage over expected since Week 10 (0.7) [right around before he got the abdominal injury], but yet the narratives are he’s wildly inaccurate.

I'll need to get a citation for his looking for a starter. Can't find it. Yeah, he was paid backup money in 2020, too, but he was still the starter when was was eligible.

So? We won a Super Bowl with 13 points. To quote Lazar again right after that Dolphins game:
"The discussions surrounding Patriots quarterback Cam Newton are all over the map; it’s truly one of New England sports’ most polarizing topics.
Those who feel Newton’s accuracy is horrendous are exaggerating a bit, and once you tweet or write that every throw is off by ten yards, you lose me; it’s just not the case, so stop it.
On Sunday, Newton had an adjusted completion percentage of 80% and his best completion percentage over expected since Week 10 (0.7) [right around before he got the abdominal injury], but yet the narratives are he’s wildly inaccurate.
It was stated the day he signed.

He is wildly inaccurate FOR AN NFL QB.
He is more accurate than me. He is more accurate than Julian Edelman. He is among if not the least accurate of NFL QBs.
The fact that you site “he wasn’t missing by 10 yards” as if that’s an endorsement says it all.

I am convince now that you are pranking me.

He is more accurate than me. He is more accurate than Julian Edelman. He is among if not the least accurate of NFL QBs.
The fact that you site “he wasn’t missing by 10 yards” as if that’s an endorsement says it all.

Blasphemy, all JE did was throw touchdowns

I'll need a citation or quote from BB for that.

2020: Cam - 65.8% completion percentage. Brady - 65.7%. Are you saying Brady is a wildly inaccurate QB since Cam was technically more accurate last year? I mean I can agree with you that 34.2% of the time, he was wildly inaccurate every time.

As I said elsewhere, if free agents asked him "Who's going to be the QB?," he wanted a better answer than "We'll see."

As other people have noted, a lot of people in the NFL love Cam as a person. I don't think he can lead the Patriots to a Super Bowl, but I can't deny that he is charismatic.

2020: Cam - 65.8% completion percentage. Brady - 65.7%. Are you saying Brady is a wildly inaccurate QB since Cam was technically more accurate last year? I mean I can agree with you that 34.2% of the time, he was wildly inaccurate every time.
He never made the throws that mattered. I dont care what you say, but 8 TDs is an inaccurate QB. You want to keep arguing that Cam wasn't bad because stats, that's your prerogative. But stats obviously don't tell the whole story, because one QB took his team to the superbowl and the other had a sub 500 season. Cam was just plain bad last year and manged to miss his receivers when it counted and somehow sail balls over people's heads or skip them into the dirt far too often for an NFL Qb

In this never ending argument, gotta wonder how Jones would look if he had the first string contingent around him.. I know it has happened in practice, but not so much under game time conditions. His supporting cast is at best mediocre, Stevenson and Taylor probably being the exception.

Before final judgement is made would like to see him under game time conditions with the best the Pats have to offer.. but that is not gonna happen, unfortunately.

There is a big difference between playing college football and playing in the NFL. In college your time is limited and football isn’t the only thing you do.

once you get to the NFL, football is all you do. Look at Uche, the muscle he has put on in the last year. He has transformed his body. Mac could use a year to learn, work on his mechanics and his body.

That being said, I do think he will play this year, as it is obvious that Cam can no long play. Watching him throw is like watching a five year old throw a ball.

Completion % isn't accuracy. Accuracy is physically placing the ball where you want it at the correct time.

You can have poor accuracy and a high completion % by throwing short a lot, and uh

The average Tom Brady pass traveled 9.1 yards in the air in 2020, the highest mark in the league among qualified passers. The average Cam Newton pass traveled 6.8 yards in the air, higher than only 4 other qualified passers. So they had the same completion percentage while one guy was throwing deeper than anyone else and the other throwing shorter than pretty much anyone else.

I don't think it's important but top 15 QB picks don't sit for long. He'll start at some point between game 4 and 7.

dude...lol. Cam was throwing checkdowns at a rapid rate last year. Safe passes that they would let him throw. They didnt even let him throw in the freaking redzone for fear he was going to mess up. In his career he has been under 60% passing in 6 out of 10 seasons. That is a non accurate passer. Which is why he was very limited on the type of passes he could make last year. He was basically put on a leash and asked to do small little things in the passing game. He was limited badly, which is why our passing game was ranked 27th last year. Trying to compare one QB who is making all the throws all over the field to a guy who is leashed to only be able to attempt short safe plays and saying they have the same accuradcy is borderline insane.

Completion % isn't accuracy. Accuracy is physically placing the ball where you want it at the correct time.

You can have poor accuracy and a high completion % by throwing short a lot, and uh

Huh? Cam was out there for 9 snaps and threw a 30 yard interception. WTF is PFF smoking?

Edit — never mind, that’s Washington, my bad.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back