PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Why Mac Jones playing this year is important

That's what I'm assuming, too, but YPA was close.
YPA is not how far you throw the ball. Its how far the entire pass play is. The less pass attempts you have the more likely its going to be a bit higher. If I throw a pass 2 yards and the guy runs for 20, its a 20 YPA, if I throw a ball 19 yards, and he is hit righ there, its a ypa of 19. There is a better stat out there that tells a different tale...QBR. Cam's was 47 and that was probably a lot due to his running which plays heavy in that stat. 47 is below average. So just his passing was brought up in QBR, it would be maybe worst in the league. So thankfully he ran pretty well, but as we have seen, this is a passing league and you have to be able to do that consistently or you do not win.

Frankly though, I like players that can help us win. I am not sure Cam is going to be the one to do that. Plus, isnt this the system that any QB can be the goat in?

As I said, I do not have a choice.
Right but you said you were good with giving him another chance and I don’t understand why

Right but you said you were good with giving him another chance and I don’t understand why
I mean what is my choice? I have to go along with what they decide to do. Bill stopped taking my calls.

Oh one more thing on accuracy. Cam has played 10 years in the league he has completed under 60% 6 times....I would say that is not good accuracy.

Brady converted 61 3rd down passes in 2019. Newton converted 29 in 2020. Less than half
Thanks for bringing up the 1st down converted on the 3rd down throws stat - very relevant. As someone who prefers a high octane passing offense, that's part of what I agreed with you on the tragic part (along with OL play at times last year) - 160 attempts for Brady (for 38% 1st down conversion on throws) and only 85 attempts for Cam (34%). That being said, the Pats converted 338 1st downs in 2019 and 332 in 2020. I still think Cam was not a tragedy on 3rd downs last year.

Thanks for bringing up the 1st down converted on the 3rd down throws stat - very relevant. As someone who prefers a high octane passing offense, that's part of what I agreed with you on the tragic part (along with OL play at times last year) - 160 attempts for Brady (for 38% 1st down conversion on throws) and only 85 attempts for Cam (34%). That being said, the Pats converted 338 1st downs in 2019 and 332 in 2020. I still think Cam was not a tragedy on 3rd downs last year.
So you are picking one aspect and just going with it huh. lol. I think you are going to end up losing this Cam battle man, I think his days are numbered as starter here. You can go root for him if another team even bothers signing him.

Cam was a tragedy last year. Brady in 2019 looked like a guy that had kind of given up

YPA is not how far you throw the ball. Its how far the entire pass play is. The less pass attempts you have the more likely its going to be a bit higher. If I throw a pass 2 yards and the guy runs for 20, its a 20 YPA, if I throw a ball 19 yards, and he is hit righ there, its a ypa of 19. There is a better stat out there that tells a different tale...QBR. Cam's was 47 and that was probably a lot due to his running which plays heavy in that stat. 47 is below average. So just his passing was brought up in QBR, it would be maybe worst in the league. So thankfully he ran pretty well, but as we have seen, this is a passing league and you have to be able to do that consistently or you do not win.

Frankly though, I like players that can help us win. I am not sure Cam is going to be the one to do that. Plus, isnt this the system that any QB can be the goat in?
Funnily enough, Cam is far far inferior to Brady as far as leading receivers and setting them up for YAC, so I'd think Cam might've thrown more air yards.

So you are picking one aspect and just going with it huh. lol. I think you are going to end up losing this Cam battle man, I think his days are numbered as starter here. You can go root for him if another team even bothers signing him.
It's funny - I'm not even sure I want him to start after the Covid protocol thing and this Week 3 preseason game. Just trying to argue a trivial point while the kids and wife are away on vacation.

You left out 10 sacks dropping his conversion to 29/95 (31%)
I mean if you honestly want to try to manipulate statistics to try and tell me the abomination of QB play we saw last year is comparable in any way to anything we saw under Brady, we should just stop here.
The team scores 95 fewer points by the way.

Cam was a tragedy last year. Brady in 2019 looked like a guy that had kind of given up
Brady was injured. How do people not remember his throwing elbow was injured, it obviously affected his throwing and he didn’t practice at all the second half of the season.

Add Rodney Harrison to the many football minds calling for Mac to be the starter.
He as incredulous as anyone here that BB will start Cam. It is mindboggling and goes against everything BB has stood for.
Whoever gives your team the best chance to win.Period.Bill is the goat but this makes no sense.

You left out 10 sacks dropping his conversion to 29/95 (31%)
I mean if you honestly want to try to manipulate statistics to try and tell me the abomination of QB play we saw last year is comparable in any way to anything we saw under Brady, we should just stop here.
The team scores 95 fewer points by the way.
That's a great point - thanks for pointing that out. 15 sacks for Brady so 35% versus 31% for Newton.

I’ve seen nothing since they began mini camp why Mac shouldn’t be the starter week 1 over cam. He’s played better throughout the entire process and through tonight’s game.

Bill Belichick is endangering the very life of one of our longtime members....please Bill...work Mac into the starting lineup soon....or I fear we may lose Andy Johnson to the big one....

936770126-dfb77c7f6e8021ca573efd35f640aa52.jpg

Brady was injured. How do people not remember his throwing elbow was injured, it obviously affected his throwing and he didn’t practice at all the second half of the season.
Cam had that abdominal injury coming into the Cardinals game and it lasted for a while, and he missed a lot of practice time. With that coinciding with the Rex and Wynn injury, it's why his stats in the following games were atrocious. If we had Mac then, Cam would've never seen the field again (assuming Mac doesn't turn into Stidham all of a sudden).

Cam had that abdominal injury coming into the Cardinals game and it lasted for a while, and he missed a lot of practice time. With that coinciding with the Rex and Wynn injury, it's why his stats in the following games were atrocious. If we had Mac then, Cam would've never seen the field again (assuming Mac doesn't turn into Stidham all of a sudden).
Dude, watch the games. Watch him play QB. You will stop making excuses and trying to twist that horrific qb play into something better than it was.

Bill Belichick is endangering the very life of one of our longtime members....please Bill...work Mac into the starting lineup soon....or I fear we may lose Andy Johnson to the big one....

936770126-dfb77c7f6e8021ca573efd35f640aa52.jpg
Eh, we kickoff 2 weeks from today at 1:00 whether belichick makes the right decision or not.
I just would like to do it without having the worst guy in the league at the most important position.
Every win counts. I’m sure belichick sees clearly.

New England Patriots coach Bill Belichick said the team was still undecided on the starting quarterback for Week 1 when they open the season against the Miami Dolphins at Gillette Stadium.

He was asked if he’d made up his mind between quarterbacks Cam Newton and Mac Jones after the team’s preseason finale against the New York Giants on Sunday.

“No, we still have a lot of decisions to make,” Belichick said.

Dude, watch the games. Watch him play QB. You will stop making excuses and trying to twist that horrific qb play into something better than it was.
I did - multiple times. Actually just rewatched all his throws for the 2nd Dolphins game. I can understand why BB brought him back.

C'mon man - keep it coming. I'm only 12 posts away from 500, so I'm soo close. Not the 55k you have, but if I work hard enough...

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back