PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Why Mac Jones playing this year is important

and I am saying that we were 12-4 and Brady had 24 td's and 8 ints and passed for 4000 yards So yeah, that is a bit down for him for sure. It would be a career year if Cam did it.

Yeah I'm not gonna say the goat had a bad year. I'm saying last year 7-9 was bettee than a lot of people expected in a major dead cap year and guys opting out. A lot of newspapers were predicting 5-11. Cam didn't help himself but at the same time that was not a good roster.

29 1st downs on 85 3rd down passes with 3 Ints and 10 sacks is tragic.
I mean we averaged 20 ppg, when was the last time we did that? After 20 years of the QB play we have had, yeah it was pretty tragic.

Yeah I'm not gonna say the goat had a bad year. I'm saying last year 7-9 was bettee than a lot of people expected in a major dead cap year and guys opting out. A lot of newspapers were predicting 5-11. Cam didn't help himself but at the same time that was not a good roster.
It was a bad year.....for him. 5-11 7-9, I mean that is not really some super human accomplishment. Some teams were worse at the time we played them, some were better, you cannot really predict records with how things change.

I guess the context is lost on you, so c'est cool, ma poule.
No the context is meaningless. We went 7-9 and had a bottom 5 ranked offense. There is the context, you trying to spin it into something good does not really make it good. As I said, Bill obviously saw something wrong.

I mean we averaged 20 ppg, when was the last time we did that? After 20 years of the QB play we have had, yeah it was pretty tragic.
This is why no other team had any interest at all in newton, we gave him a backups contract, and stated on that day we were still looking for a starting QB, and we drafted a qb in round 1.
We stank at qb last year, and newton is the same guy.

This is why no other team had any interest at all in newton, we gave him a backups contract, and stated on that day we were still looking for a starting QB, and we drafted a qb in round 1.
We stank at qb last year, and newton is the same guy.
I mean, I am willing to give another chance, and its not like I have a choice, Bill loves him, but do I think we can ever get back to what we were with him at QB? No. Bill drafted a first round QB for the only time in his career for a reason, he obviously does not think so either.

After watching that sh*t show by Cam, I dont see how we don't start the rookie. He's going to have growing pains. That's ok, it's better than watching Cam throw the football at the ground or his receivers backs

I mean, I am willing to give another chance, and its not like I have a choice, Bill loves him, but do I think we can ever get back to what we were with him at QB? No. Bill drafted a first round QB for the only time in his career for a reason, he obviously does not think so either.
Another chance at what? Becoming a different player? There is no reason to put bad players on the field to “give them a chance” when you have better ones. This isn’t little league.

After watching that sh*t show by Cam, I dont see how we don't start the rookie. He's going to have growing pains. That's ok, it's better than watching Cam throw the football at the ground or his receivers backs
You grow on the field not on the sidelines.

The only thing that made any sense to me about "It's Cam until it's not" was that he's being given the benefit of the doubt as capable of playing NFL games. Like, he can hand it off. To himself, sometimes. That's it, not that he's going to do that special QB thing, i.e., pass (unless he magically got better.)

So, if Cam's really a possibility, it's because he's done it before.

Or, we want to ease in Mac so he doesn't get in over his head.

Or, BB is just effing with everybody's head so as not to have a controversy except the "what is BB's problem" controversy (and getting the secret sauce of competition into Mac's development)

Or or or or. I just can't see Cam calling Marcellus Wallace a ***** and being the starter. (And by that I mean, not being compliant w/covid testing and more importantly not vaxing.) But again I see that different than BB does.... I keep forgetting.

No the context is meaningless. We went 7-9 and had a bottom 5 ranked offense. There is the context, you trying to spin it into something good does not really make it good. As I said, Bill obviously saw something wrong.
I am definitely not trying to spin it into something good. Just saying Cam on 3rd down is not a tragedy. That's all.

Brady's last 10 games as a Patriot are strong evidence to not attribute last season to Cam. Even with the goat at QB the offense only averaged 17 points per game from halloween to end of season. So it was a crappy offense even before Cam got there super late. And lost key guys due to covid outs.
Are you still thinking that way after watching this first two series in the giants game?

I looked up the Patriots' 3rd down stats for 2019 on the site Deus brought up, and they were 18th (the 2nd half wasn't too bad at 36.7% on 3rd down), so they actually improved in 2020 by 2.5%! Brady19's Comp% was 56.2% (6.6YPA) compared to Cam's 64.7% (6.1YPA). That's pretty significant.

Holy crap - Brady had a higher percentage than Cam on 3rd down throws exactly one time in his career: 2016. 2007, he tied at 64.7%. The others he was sometimes much worse (like 52.4% in 2018).

---
I like this quote from LazUUr:

"Those who feel Newton’s accuracy is horrendous are exaggerating a bit, and once you tweet or write that every throw is off by ten yards, you lose me; it’s just not the case, so stop it.

On Sunday [during 2nd Dolphons game], Newton had an adjusted completion percentage of 80% and his best completion percentage over expected since Week 10 (0.7), but yet the narratives are he’s wildly inaccurate."
Really, you're comparing completion percentage between Brady and Cam? How many of those completions were easy throws the defense gives you behind the first down marker? I'm betting a lot

Brady's last 10 games as a Patriot are strong evidence to not attribute last season to Cam. Even with the goat at QB the offense only averaged 17 points per game from halloween to end of season. So it was a crappy offense even before Cam got there super late. And lost key guys due to covid outs.
You keep posting this and it’s wrong and Brady was injured.

Really, you're comparing completion percentage between Brady and Cam? How many of those completions were easy throws the defense gives you behind the first down marker? I'm betting a lot
That's what I'm assuming, too, but YPA was close.

I looked up the Patriots' 3rd down stats for 2019 on the site Deus brought up, and they were 18th (the 2nd half wasn't too bad at 36.7% on 3rd down), so they actually improved in 2020 by 2.5%! Brady19's Comp% was 56.2% (6.6YPA) compared to Cam's 64.7% (6.1YPA). That's pretty significant.

Holy crap - Brady had a higher percentage than Cam on 3rd down throws exactly one time in his career: 2016. 2007, he tied at 64.7%. The others he was sometimes much worse (like 52.4% in 2018).

---
I like this quote from LazUUr:

"Those who feel Newton’s accuracy is horrendous are exaggerating a bit, and once you tweet or write that every throw is off by ten yards, you lose me; it’s just not the case, so stop it.

On Sunday [during 2nd Dolphons game], Newton had an adjusted completion percentage of 80% and his best completion percentage over expected since Week 10 (0.7), but yet the narratives are he’s wildly inaccurate."
Brady converted 61 3rd down passes in 2019. Newton converted 29 in 2020. Less than half

Another chance at what? Becoming a different player? There is no reason to put bad players on the field to “give them a chance” when you have better ones. This isn’t little league.
As I said, I do not have a choice.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back