PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

What to do with Isaiah Wynn

Wynn is playing right tackle, he was drafted and played well at left tackle.. he was brady's blind slide protector..the last super bowl run.. so the guys not a bad player.

He was switched to right tackle this season and the move has been a mental struggle for him.. we must start to wonder about the BUY- IN of the players.. it looks like he's mentally checked out.. you don't get all the way to this level and just suck..

The NFL is a mental grind.. if we continue to loose we'll see more players check out.
Playing left tackle ≠ playing well at left tackle... he was.. adequate in '19 and '20 when he played... he missed 30 of his first 48 games... dont get me wrong... the guy can play well.. but he isnt playing well this year, and thats what matters... this is the last year of his rookie deal... he should be busting his hump trying to land a new deal, considering what quality tackles are getting paid these days... but he isn't... if he's sulking over the move to right tackle, then that pretty much closes the book on him moving forward...

12's blidside protector in 2018 was Trent Brown... which was our last Super Bowl run...

I don't ascribe to the buy in theory... I subscribe to the theory that If players don't want to be here, they will no longer be here. We have seen time and time again BB cutting/trading/making guys disappear hoffa style for that reason...

and as an aside, just a pet peeve here - its lose not loose.

Last edited:
What they should have done is not picked up his option and not traded Mason.

But they can't put the toothpaste back in the tube...

Maybe they can trade Wynn but who replaces him? Cannon? They just sent him back to the PS.
didn't want to pay shaq Mason one of the best O linemen in the game.. everything the team does on the player personnel side is financially based..

Playing left tackle ≠ playing well at left tackle... he was.. adequate in '19 and '20 when he played... he missed 30 of his first 48 games... dont get me wrong... the guy can play well.. but he isnt playing well this year, and thats what matters

12's blidside protector in 2018 was Trent Brown... which was our last Super Bowl run...

I don't ascribe to the buy in theory... I subscribe to the theory that If players don't want to be here, they will no longer be here. We have seen time and time again BB cutting/trading/making guys disappear hoffa style for that reason...

and as an aside, just a pet peeve here - its lose not loose.
let me correct my myself Trent brown yes was the left tackle, wynn was drafted in '19.. Wether one chooses to believe what everyone else sees is one thing.. however the buy in theory is REAL.

players today in this generation are retiring young at an alarming rate.. so my point is if thier respective team isn't winning, and they don't forsee the team winning or competing for Lombardi trophies any time soon.. then they have options.. do you think we wouldve won anything if players didn't buy in.. it works both ways..

let me correct my myself Trent brown yes was the left tackle, wynn was drafted in '19.. Wether one chooses to believe what everyone else sees is one thing.. however the buy in theory is REAL.

players today in this generation are retiring young at an alarming rate.. so my point is if thier respective team isn't winning, and they don't forsee the team winning or competing for Lombardi trophies any time soon.. then they have options.. do you think we wouldve won anything if players didn't buy in.. it works both ways..
As the Captain pointed out, Wynn was ir'ed his rookie season... so he was indeed on the team in 2018...

and I agree - The buy in theory is absolutely real. Not saying it isn't.

But in New England, the Belichick theory is More Real. That theory is if you aren't buying in - if you arent playing well - if you eff something up ⇛ you aren't playing... and if that trend continues you will no longer be here... Everyone knows the first part of the Patriot team motto ... Do Your Job ... but most forget the second half to that... Do it well.

As for players walking away / retiring / joining cults to move to Saturn / whatever ... attrition has always happened - ... and there has always been another guy right behind them willing to step up and prove their worth...

would we have won if the players didnt buy in? No. Did they buy in? yes. 2001 started something special. That alone helped create and sustain an atmosphere - a team-first ethos if you will... So now its the BB way or the highway.

Last edited:
As the Captain pointed out, Wynn was ir'ed his rookie season... so he was indeed on the team in 2018...

and I agree - The buy in theory is absolutely real. Not saying it isn't.

But in New England, the Belichick theory is More Real. That theory is if you aren't buying in - if you arent playing well - if you eff something up ⇛ you aren't playing... and if that trend continues you will no longer be here... Everyone knows the first part of the Patriot team motto ... Do Your Job ... but most forget the second half to that... Do it well.

As for players walking away / retiring / joining cults to move to Saturn / whatever ... attrition has always happened - ... and there has always been another guy right behind them willing to step up and prove their worth...

would we have won if the players didnt buy in? No. Did they buy in? yes. 2001 started something special. That alone helped create and sustain an atmosphere - a team-first ethos if you will... So now its the BB way or the highway.
Agreed! All you said is sensible, And true. However like you as a fan of the game and of course our team.. What many fans don't realize is owners care about results.. The BB/brady debate is over 12 won that debate.. We are definitely in a rebuild and it takes time to build another winning team.. if we fall deep into mediocrity, the ratings dip.. that's when internal changes will be made.. this is a proud franchise, the last 2 decades all we've been doing is winning..

BB is cut from the Parcells tree, that patriot way was instilled by Parcells and carried on BB and carried to the team by Brady and many other veterans over the years. This day and age, the generation of players and their mentality is far different . Noone can ever discredit BB as the greatest ever.. However all the greats still end up leaving willingly or amicably from thier respective teams ar some point in time..

we have plenty of skill players on this team.. however for some reason your best playmakers on offense aren't being involved.. the NFL is about talent! Not involving your playmakers doesn't equate to a winning team.. funny seeing us at the Bottom of the division..

Agreed! All you said is sensible, And true. However like you as a fan of the game and of course our team.. What many fans don't realize is owners care about results.. The BB/brady debate is over 12 won that debate.. We are definitely in a rebuild and it takes time to build another winning team.. if we fall deep into mediocrity, the ratings dip.. that's when internal changes will be made.. this is a proud franchise, the last 2 decades all we've been doing is winning..

BB is cut from the Parcells tree, that patriot way was instilled by Parcells and carried on BB and carried to the team by Brady and many other veterans over the years. This day and age, the generation of players and their mentality is far different . Noone can ever discredit BB as the greatest ever.. However all the greats still end up leaving willingly or amicably from thier respective teams ar some point in time..

we have plenty of skill players on this team.. however for some reason your best playmakers on offense aren't being involved.. the NFL is about talent! Not involving your playmakers doesn't equate to a winning team.. funny seeing us at the Bottom of the division..

You said it. Rebuilding.

Yes owners expect results. But they also understand that the process to get there takes time. Players come and go. It's the nature of the game.

Nobody asked Aggy to allow a tomahawk chop to dislodge that ball and fumble, or numerous other stupid.

You said it. Rebuilding.

Yes owners expect results. But they also understand that the process to get there takes time. Players come and go. It's the nature of the game.
Yes absolutely, every NFL owners mentality is results however more importantly than that is money! Losing =ratings drop, wich = revenue decreasing.. it's all relative.

The only reason we are still being nationally televised on CBS is because RKK is a chair member on the communication committee.. he helped secure the TV deal years ago... the NFL wants the winning teams on those Sunday windows.

Yes absolutely, every NFL owners mentality is results however more importantly than that is money! Losing =ratings drop, wich = revenue decreasing.. it's all relative.

The only reason we are still being nationally televised on CBS is because RKK is a chair member on the communication committee.. he helped secure the TV deal years ago... the NFL wants the winning teams on those Sunday windows.
im cool with that... i prefer 1 pm games to late or evening games

Krafty gets $80 per vehicle just to Park there, probably $12 for a simple Bud Light 16oz Draft.
I'm NOT feeling sorry for him, not even the SLIGHTEST.

Does switching sides make using independent hands difficult? Is that an instinct that builds the longer you're in a position, therefore switching sides can throw things into a flux?
If anything it has to do with his body control, balance on that side. You see him short steppin here. No explosion. Possibly protecting his inside or worried about an inside rush but he gets nothing out of his stance. Almost forced to use the two hand approach.

Compare that to here where he's gaining depth whether he kicks or jump sets. Strikes first using independent hands at times. Accurate strikes same side, center target. Definitely better times. Mind you these are some of the best rushers in the league too.

I just hate the two handed approach too. It just goes against everything I was taught, told and learned about the position. OL play is about survival more than anything else. You're over matched every play in terms of athleticism. It's not about winning. A defensive linemen has to win. An offensive linemen just has to be good enough considering the odds.

The two handed strike is more effective when it lands bc no one is taking a double tap from a 300+ pissed off dude but it leaves you exposed, off balance in some case and has a higher miss rate bc one arm is longer than two. Particularly helpful for Wynn to really utilize his length.

You can't always go to this approach. Depends on the rush, tackle, what they're coached with doing. I know certain coaches like each approach.

I think it could definitely have an effect on some players but truthfully at this point I'd have to really take another look. Closer than I have been and the A22 is still wonky from time to time. It's not as easy as before to sit down watch uninterrupted from a jump on the screen.

Also if Wynn just cut down or got rid of his flags he'd be an above average tackle. His play isn't bad. Probably average-slightly above average. It's the flags that are killing him/the team.

Brown has been our best by far. Followed by Onwenu. Everyone else is average-slightly above average. Strange is playing well. Flashes are there but he's playing well.

*edit* Sorry fell asleep looking at this yesterday and busy today.

Mike Onwenu is playing better at RG than he did last year at LG. Some Olinemen just play better on one side of the center than the other. Matt Light couldn’t play on the right side. Wynn has played on the left side throughout college and his pro career other than preseason 2018 when Wynn popped his Achilles playing RT.

I really think that’s part of his struggle. But, with that said, Trent Brown is the superior LT when healthy and engaged, so I understand what the coaches were doing by moving them.

Let’s face it. We’re 1-3 and will have a rookie QB or rusty, still hobbling Mac Jones lead us through the part of the season we all saw the team winning a bunch of games to recover ground from their tough schedule to begin the season.

You’ve got to walk before you run. So, I see 2022 developing into a bridge year. The Pats should be sellers at the trade deadline, and Wynn should be someone they try to sell to gain cap space if nothing else. Cannon will do a good job as long as he remains healthy. Cajuste will be back in 3 games. And, you can’t forget pizza guy.

I’ll be fine with missing the playoffs if I can see this team improving as the season proceeds. Will take that over how last season ended any day.

I do not know the reason why some offensive linemen play better on one side of the line or the other.

It’s just something I’ve observed over the years. It’s not just particularly to football. Some basketball players though right handed drive to the basket better to their left. Some infielders have better range to their left than their right or vice versa.

Wynn did not look comfortable there in 2018 when Dante Scarnecchia played him there, and he doesn’t look comfortable there now.

I do not know the reason why some offensive linemen play better on one side of the line or the other.

It’s just something I’ve observed over the years. It’s not just particularly to football. Some basketball players though right handed drive to the basket better to their left. Some infielders have better range to their left than their right or vice versa.

Wynn did not look comfortable there in 2018 when Dante Scarnecchia played him there, and he doesn’t look comfortable there now.
lateral movement issues?

A good example and most trench play correlates to fighting in way. Is a orthodox fighter not used to switching to southpaw and fired off punches. They won't snap they won't be as crisp. Throwing from different angles, with different muscle transfer.

Lack of reps, familiarity, everything is mirrored, different OT next to you, muscle memory is different, have to think more instead of reacting.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Back