PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

What to do with Isaiah Wynn

The mere fact that Wynn was benched tells us the Coaches are noticing hopefully they keep him there. Can't have a guy like that protecting a young inexperienced QB.

I do not know the reason why some offensive linemen play better on one side of the line or the other.

It’s just something I’ve observed over the years. It’s not just particularly to football. Some basketball players though right handed drive to the basket better to their left. Some infielders have better range to their left than their right or vice versa.

Wynn did not look comfortable there in 2018 when Dante Scarnecchia played him there, and he doesn’t look comfortable there now.
In New England BB expects players to be versatile, wich is good. But this day and age especially the amount a money a left tackle commands players normally like to play the position they were drafted in ESPECIALLY a LT. If you take a deeper look wynn and brown swapped positions.. of course the monetary aspect factors in as well. Wynn is still earning 10.3 this season playing RT. On his rookie deal.. it's Clearly a mentally taxing thing for him.. the guys a good player.. as I said on here you have to start to wonder about his buy in.. if brady's behind center players automatically buy in! They know the team will win! We are In a rebuild.. and it just appears Wynns checked out mentally.. watching his body language..

Mike Onwenu is playing better at RG than he did last year at LG. Some Olinemen just play better on one side of the center than the other. Matt Light couldn’t play on the right side. Wynn has played on the left side throughout college and his pro career other than preseason 2018 when Wynn popped his Achilles playing RT.

I really think that’s part of his struggle. But, with that said, Trent Brown is the superior LT when healthy and engaged, so I understand what the coaches were doing by moving them.

Let’s face it. We’re 1-3 and will have a rookie QB or rusty, still hobbling Mac Jones lead us through the part of the season we all saw the team winning a bunch of games to recover ground from their tough schedule to begin the season.

You’ve got to walk before you run. So, I see 2022 developing into a bridge year. The Pats should be sellers at the trade deadline, and Wynn should be someone they try to sell to gain cap space if nothing else. Cannon will do a good job as long as he remains healthy. Cajuste will be back in 3 games. And, you can’t forget pizza guy.

I’ll be fine with missing the playoffs if I can see this team improving as the season proceeds. Will take that over how last season ended any day.
Spot on! , the LT position is the most highly paid position on the O line.. your pretty much protecting the franchise!

Last year, the difference was Mac came into an established offense, and of course coordinator.. McDaniels called played towards his strengths.. we caught some banged up teams during that run.. But I know that's the NFL.. plus last season we were a healthy team.. I wish mac had the benefit of having a James white for the entirety of his rookie season like Brady had a Faulk!

This season as we all know Injuires have already played a part in the way things have gone.. if we loose Sunday drop to 1-4 I'd say let zappe play allow Mac to get 100% , let the rookies in the jones boys continue to play... to have this experience for next year..

The AFC is a 3 team race. KC, Bills, Ravens.. every one is is pretty much a middling team.

In New England BB expects players to be versatile, wich is good. But this day and age especially the amount a money a left tackle commands players normally like to play the position they were drafted in ESPECIALLY a LT. If you take a deeper look wynn and brown swapped positions.. of course the monetary aspect factors in as well. Wynn is still earning 10.3 this season playing RT. On his rookie deal.. it's Clearly a mentally taxing thing for him.. the guys a good player.. as I said on here you have to start to wonder about his buy in.. if brady's behind center players automatically buy in! They know the team will win! We are In a rebuild.. and it just appears Wynns checked out mentally.. watching his body language..
I see your point but sucking this bad in a Contract year?? In FA I don't think he's a $10Mill Tackle but that might be minimum wage for a average Tackle now.

Curious what the "body language" signs are? I think he has been god awful like everyone else, but don't see enough of him on TV to read body language. I remember people saying similar things about Tom Brady, but he was on camera constantly.

Curious what the "body language" signs are? I think he has been god awful like everyone else, but don't see enough of him on TV to read body language. I remember people saying similar things about Tom Brady, but he was on camera constantly.
Body language meaning he doesn't seem to care after a sack, false start penalty.. when the cameras do show.. not saying he has to make a public announcement apology to the QB but if he cared enough then he'd fix the issue.. but tje mistakes keep happening. That's mental error!!

I see your point but sucking this bad in a Contract year?? In FA I don't think he's a $10Mill Tackle but that might be minimum wage for a average Tackle now.
Oh for sure. Absolutely not. But some team will pay him substantially.. some players can't motivate themselves, The NFL is a physical and mental grind.. it's survival of the fittest.. some players naturally have motivation waking up in the morning! We had a 6th round pick that was motivated for 19 seasons.. my estimation is wynn isn't playing well, becuase he's disengaged, not totally bought in, and the position change..

Just my theory that's all.

Lack of reps, familiarity, everything is mirrored, different OT next to you, muscle memory is different, have to think more instead of reacting.
Absolutely, I'm just not gonna trash the guy, he's shown he has the ability to play at a high level, But he's struggling we know that as fans, the coaches know that as well of course.. but I feel it's mental with him.. he didn't get to the NFL level and all of sudden forget what got him there.. let's see if getting benched for Cannon motivates him..

Oh for sure. Absolutely not. But some team will pay him substantially.. some players can't motivate themselves, The NFL is a physical and mental grind.. it's survival of the fittest.. some players naturally have motivation waking up in the morning! We had a 6th round pick that was motivated for 19 seasons.. my estimation is wynn isn't playing well, becuase he's disengaged, not totally bought in, and the position change..

Just my theory that's all.
One of Fat Matt's titles is OL-Coach I can see why Wynn isn't totally buying in. Maybe Wynn wants real OL-Coach instead of the current clown show with position Coaches and Coordinators.

Another player I have my eye on is Barmore, I think he's dealing with something.. the guys too explosive to be playing the way he's playing, I've noticed his snaps have been decreased.. I wondered if he was even playing on Sunday.. I read something about a possible knee ailment. Thus far the pass rush has been judon and wise..

Another player I have my eye on is Barmore, I think he's dealing with something.. the guys too explosive to be playing the way he's playing, I've noticed his snaps have been decreased.. I wondered if he was even playing on Sunday.. I read something about a possible knee ailment. Thus far the pass rush has been judon and wise..
Really wanted a DT over a Guard last Draft but that just me Two Good DT's are better than one. Not a fan of Davon Gawdonlyknows.

One of Fat Matt's titles is OL-Coach I can see why Wynn isn't totally buying in. Maybe Wynn wants real OL-Coach instead of the current clown show with position Coaches and Coordinators.
Your right, one of the main reasons Patricia is here along with judge is the patriots don't have to pay thier salaries this season.. so that along with the familiarity with the organization was a perfect fit in BBs mind... I predict if we continue to loose this season, as Kraft has been a dam good owner.. this off season you could see internal changes within the staff not necessarily BB..

Really wanted a DT over a Guard last Draft but that just me Two Good DT's are better than one. Not a fan of Davon Gawdonlyknows.
Yes of course, some REAL LBs would help also.. not safeties playing LB.. when you see Collins was resigned it's telling where your at on defense.. in the patriots defense the DT occupies blockers so they make plays for others.. we still need some talent on both sided of the ball

Your right, one of the main reasons Patricia is here along with judge is the patriots don't have to pay thier salaries this season.. so that along with the familiarity with the organization was a perfect fit in BBs mind... I predict if we continue to loose this season, as Kraft has been a dam good owner.. this off season you could see internal changes within the staff not necessarily BB..
I think BB have two years Tops then he leaves the game I hope they have a contingency plan that doesn't include those two as possible successors. RK is Crafty I hope he talks to Peyton about possibly coming on board to take over for BB.

I think BB have two years Tops then he leaves the game I hope they have a contingency plan that doesn't include those two as possible successors. RK is Crafty I hope he talks to Peyton about possibly coming on board to take over for BB.
Don't be suprised if BB " amicably " walks away.. I feel the plan was McDaniels, but he left. Peyton manning I can't see it..but anything is possible.. BB has had alot of say and authority as that was the only way he would take the patriots job in 2000. We Need talent, Mac needs to get 100% going forward for us to compete..

Wynn has been average. I think god awful is a little wild. I think it's a case of people exaggerating bc it's their team. Flags are a killer but his play isnt that bad. Especially in the run game 20221006_031826.jpg

Wynn has been average. I think god awful is a little wild. I think it's a case of people exaggerating bc it's their team. Flags are a killer but his play isnt that bad. Especially in the run game View attachment 46007
The entire line at times has been average, however lineman are judged by how they push the line or scrimmage in the run game.. our run game is pretty potent.. the backs run behind wynn on the right side.. and get good yardage.. the issue with wynn are the untimely penalties..and missed assignments..

The entire line at times has been average, however lineman are judged by how they push the line or scrimmage in the run game.. our run game is pretty potent.. the backs run behind wynn on the right side.. and get good yardage.. the issue with wynn are the untimely penalties..and missed assignments..
Wynn allows a QB hurry twice a game and is flagged for a penalty once.

Way too many mental errors.

the guys a good player.. as I said on here you have to start to wonder about his buy in.. if brady's behind center players automatically buy in! They know the team will win! We are In a rebuild.. and it just appears Wynns checked out mentally.. watching his body language..
I challenge the statement that Wynn is a 'good' player. He has been mediocre at best. And if he's checked out because he's being asked to play RT for the good of the team, that puts him into dumpster tier.

Selfish players don't have a place on this team. Reality check for Wynn - You're getting paid 10 million dollars for 1 year, a sum of money most people don't see their whole lives. Now get off your fat ass, put that hard hat on, and ball out like you want a big contract cos right now you haven't earned nearly half of that hefty paycheck!

If Wynn's play doesn't improve real soon and real fast, my next question is how do we get this chump off our team?

I do not know the reason why some offensive linemen play better on one side of the line or the other.

It’s just something I’ve observed over the years. It’s not just particularly to football. Some basketball players though right handed drive to the basket better to their left. Some infielders have better range to their left than their right or vice versa.

Wynn did not look comfortable there in 2018 when Dante Scarnecchia played him there, and he doesn’t look comfortable there now.
I agree. I am thinking that the left/right thing may be part of Wynn's issue. I am pretty sure he played both sides in college, but looks a lot worse on the right this year than he did on the left side last year and the year before. As you said, 2018 he looked bad on the right. If I remember correctly. Cannon was the exact opposite. I thought he looked putrid at both left guard and tackle when he was tried there but then looked really good when he moved to right tackle to replace an injured Vollmer. I would not want to have to rely on Cannon to be the swing tackle. I think he is a good right tackle but that is it for positional flexibility. If injuries cropped up, I would try to move others around. Now that he is gone, it doesn't really matter but I think Herron had the same issue. Good/ fair on 1 side and bad on the other.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Back