PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

What should the punishment be for the Eagles?

Actually, Philly is in better shape than us. If they can find a real coach, they already have a QB, and now, a chance to draft a stud #1 WR. Two things you cannot win without in the NFL and two things we do not have. WE are a 2 -3 win team that managed to win 7 games. Now we pick in the middle of the draft which makes our chances of getting a decent QB almost zero. Our six Superbowls are absolutely meaningless today, in the 2021 season and beyond. We are not going to contend anytime soon. It is simply logical to place the long term future ahead of winning meaningless games, That doesn't make us lesser fans as is the sentiment I see here so often.
And rooting for the team to lose and rooting for them to tank are two different things. I think most people here would agree. I just wanted them to lose in order to make the path to rebuilding easier.
And for all your histrionics the difference between ten and fifteen could easily be the difference between getting a stud or another dud. This win was not inconsequential. Maybe the difference between getting a stud #1 WR that we desperately need and being to forced to draft a guard or tackle to get value with our pick. We absolutely need to get an All Pro with this first round pick. We've had too many consecutive bad drafts. A top ten pick gave us the best chance to do that. Actually, a top five pick did, but that ship sailed with disasterous "wins" against Baltimore and the Rams.
Sorry for winning! Not!!!! Proud of the fight in the dog in the last game.

How is Philly any different than teams that do the exact same thing every year? How many teams have pulled their QB after the first half of the final game?

We've done it in New England. Buffalo beat us one year because of that.

1. They already decided to stick with pederson. Kicking the can down the road to his eventual firing in 21.
2. Their offensive line is in shambles. One of the worst in the NFL
3. They have 1 broken down qb with a horrible contract (60 mil dead cap hit if cut in the offseason). They still need to find someone willing to take on that contract. The other qb showed some flashes but in no way can you say the definitely have their QB.
4. Guys like fletcher Cox/Brandon Graham are getting older. They are like us in need of wr help and youth in the front 7.
5. Most importantly their current projected cap space in 2021 is horrible. They are going to be purging an already weak roster while we are in great shape cap wise.
6. They wouldn’t need an impact 1 wr if they take Jefferson instead of Reagor. Taking arcega-white side the year before. They have wr scouting issues as well.
So like someone already mentioned, I’ll take what you’re smoking.
They are a projected $70 million OVER the cap for this coming year...(Only New Oralens is in worse shape)
Philadelphia Eagles Salary Cap Calculator | Over The Cap

while the Pats are projected to have $62 million in cap space...

NFL Salary Cap Space | Over The Cap

In what world is $132 million LESS cap space better????

I love what Philly did dashing the Giants hopes in spectacular fashion. I am sure Eli was doing the Manning face.

Actually, Philly is in better shape than us. If they can find a real coach, they already have a QB, and now, a chance to draft a stud #1 WR. Two things you cannot win without in the NFL and two things we do not have. WE are a 2 -3 win team that managed to win 7 games. Now we pick in the middle of the draft which makes our chances of getting a decent QB almost zero. Our six Superbowls are absolutely meaningless today, in the 2021 season and beyond. We are not going to contend anytime soon. It is simply logical to place the long term future ahead of winning meaningless games, That doesn't make us lesser fans as is the sentiment I see here so often.
And rooting for the team to lose and rooting for them to tank are two different things. I think most people here would agree. I just wanted them to lose in order to make the path to rebuilding easier.
And for all your histrionics the difference between ten and fifteen could easily be the difference between getting a stud or another dud. This win was not inconsequential. Maybe the difference between getting a stud #1 WR that we desperately need and being to forced to draft a guard or tackle to get value with our pick. We absolutely need to get an All Pro with this first round pick. We've had too many consecutive bad drafts. A top ten pick gave us the best chance to do that. Actually, a top five pick did, but that ship sailed with disasterous "wins" against Baltimore and the Rams.
Pathetic post.

How is Philly any different than teams that do the exact same thing every year? How many teams have pulled their QB after the first half of the final game?

We've done it in New England. Buffalo beat us one year because of that.
The difference is those teams are in the playoffs and pull their QB for the sake of winning (only in a subsequent game).

The end goal remains competitive in nature for the team - consistent with the spirit of competition. The only potential impact re: the draft is the team's draft position is negatively impacted (by winning the subsequent game with a healthy QB) while other team's draft positions are improved vis-a-vis that team. The self-interested motivation at play is to make your team MORE competitive on the year.

The Eagles pulled their QB to be non-competitive, to manipulate a draft order to improve their position to the detriment of other teams. The self-interested motivation at play is to make your team LESS competitive on the year.

Last edited:
The difference is those teams are in the playoffs and pull their QB for the sake of winning (only in a subsequent game).

The end goal remains competitive in nature for the team - consistent with the spirit of competition. The only potential impact re: the draft is the team's draft position is negatively impacted (by winning the subsequent game with a healthy QB) while other team's draft positions are improved vis-a-vis that team. The self-interest at play is to make your team MORE competitive on the year.

The Eagles pulled their QB to be non-competitive, to manipulate a draft order to improve their position to the detriment of other teams. The self-interest at play is to make your team LESS competitive on the year.

A lot of non-playoff teams do the same thing. They go into evaluation mode.

Bill does not really believe in draft position at all. He has never played that game. He just does his board and marks down the guys he likes and makes his picks. Often trading back to acquire more picks to cover for the inevitable misses. Of course much of that is covered up by having the GOAT QB. Now his picks will be scrutinized like never before.

Based on the results yesterday, the highest we could have picked was 13. Stop with the false narrative of the Patriots getting a top ten pick. And we didn't beat the Rams ... iirc we got thrashed rather soundly. Playing to lose is for losers...
Based on the results yesterday, the highest we could have picked was 13. Stop with the false narrative of the Patriots getting a top ten pick. And we didn't beat the Rams ... iirc we got thrashed rather soundly. Playing to lose is for losers...
Fair enough. Turns out the win against the Jets didn't make a huge difference in draft position. I just knew that they had a slim chance to get into the top ten before last Sunday. I didn't bother to follow it up. Not sure why I sad Rams. I was talking about the win against the Cardinals. Brain cramp, I guess. Not sure why so many seem to be confused about my position on tanking. Just to be clear, I am 100% against it. It absolutely sends the wrong message to your team. I still, to this day, absolutely hate the benching of Butler in the Philly SuperBowl. You put your best player on the field and you play to win. Tanking is for loser organizations like the Colts. The Sixers did it for years. Must be a Philly thing. I don't want the Pats to tank. But this year's team was very light on talent. I much rather would have been in a position to draft Lawrence than getting seven meaningless wins. Doesn't mean I wanted them to cheat to get there.

Stevenson again? Got so butthurt when I said Stidham is not very good. LOL
What an odd post. Are you normally this paranoid? I'm not Stevenson or any other banned member. And for the record, from what I've seen if Stidham and based on the fact he couldn't beat out Cam, maybe the worst starter in the NFL this year, my guess is that Stidham is awful and will continue to be. I would be surprised if he ever takes a meaningful snap for an NFL team.

he lost a game on purpose at seasons end i forget when now (was it the flutie dropkick game?)but it backfired and we lost to denver in playoffs.
You have a point.

A lot of non-playoff teams do the same thing. They go into evaluation mode.

If you go into evaluation mode, you name the guy you are evaluating as the starter...it's naive to think that Pederson was actually evaluating a QB who has been on their roster for 4 years. I'd rather evaluate your young starter to see if he can pull off a win and knock a divisional rival out of the playoffs. It's a much better message to send to your team that you are trying to win, and if you desperately want to get the 6th pick, you can easily trade up in April.

Last edited:
Joined December 28th 2020

So what was your previous user name that got banned?
1. They already decided to stick with pederson. Kicking the can down the road to his eventual firing in 21.
2. Their offensive line is in shambles. One of the worst in the NFL
3. They have 1 broken down qb with a horrible contract (60 mil dead cap hit if cut in the offseason). They still need to find someone willing to take on that contract. The other qb showed some flashes but in no way can you say the definitely have their QB.
4. Guys like fletcher Cox/Brandon Graham are getting older. They are like us in need of wr help and youth in the front 7.
5. Most importantly their current projected cap space in 2021 is horrible. They are going to be purging an already weak roster while we are in great shape cap wise.
6. They wouldn’t need an impact 1 wr if they take Jefferson instead of Reagor. Taking arcega-white side the year before. They have wr scouting issues as well.
So like someone already mentioned, I’ll take what you’re smoking.
That's all I was asking for. I don't know everything. I don't follow the Eagles that closely. It wont be last mistake I make here either.. But to just call somebody wrong without any argument is a waste of everyone's time. I could counter some of your points, but I don't see any need to nitpick. I would rather just move on. You definitely seem to know more about the Eagles than I do.

Have you ever heard of the salary cap? The Eagles are projected to be $73 Million over the cap in 2021. Good news is Wentz on carries $59M in dead money if they move on from him.
They might try to trade him with a high pick to a team with cap space like happened with Osweiler a few years ago

Cannot take OP seriously when this board has in recent months been densely populated with the opinion that every Patriot win was an affront to the fans and the future of the team in general. Mort, specifically, can kick rocks, because he either has the memory of a goldfish or he is being disingenuous to get clicks. Why not both! He has been covering the league long enough to know better.

Last edited:
Definitely a tough sell to suggest her was still trying to win.

I mean, by all accounts Hurts is 'the guy' right?

I could see a team trying to get a rookie some reps when the rookie is being groomed to be 'the guy'.

But to remove a ROOKIE who looks to be the guy from valuable playing time is just mind boggling to me. And for what, to get a no-name ho hum backup some looks?

Crazy stuff, but no punishment can or should be made. As perplexing as it was, they have every right to do as they please.

Sure, I understand the Giants should have a natural reaction of being disappointed, but then once they are reminded of their 6-10 records they should remember they have no business complaining about NOT being in the playoffs.

Washington's pass rush reminded me of the Tyson quote " everybody has a plan until they get hit in the mouth". Hurtz 7/20 looked overwhelmed and Pederson took a chance that didn't work out. I'm guessing Philly would have player harder if the Cowboys had won earlier.

They did nothing wrong. How do you prove that they wanted to tank?

If you go into evaluation mode, you name the guy you are evaluating as the starter...it's naive to think that Pederson was actually evaluating a QB who has been on their roster for 4 years. I'd rather evaluate your young starter to see if he can pull off a win and knock a divisional rival out of the playoffs. It's a much better message to send to your team that you are trying to win, and if you desperately want to get the 6th pick, you can easily trade up in April.
And the confidence knocking a division rival out of the playoffs gives to your young QB and returning teammates the next year is invaluable.

Last edited:
A mid round draft pick at the very least should be taken away. Hurts had no business being benched.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back