PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

What should the punishment be for the Eagles?

Nothing wrong with what they did. I was reading it can hurt a locker room etc. Well the players who are there the following season, and if they can nail a top draft pick..and said draft pick is killing it for them..think they will even give one **** about tanking a game? Doubtful.

Also, if Bill had mailed it in, with Kraft on board and went 1-15 and TL was here, or he went 2-14...and got Fields etc, nobody on the team would be complaining if he was helping them win games almost instantaneously. Let's say I'm a pro athlete with 3 years left on my contract. I don't care how nice Cam is, but we have no QB, and even then no weapons for said QB. We have a line, a stable of badass backs...so for the best team for my future a top 5 pick is crucial. Otherwise there is a dark abyss that I am staring into. Yeah I'm getting paid but I want to win. Picking 15th doesn't get me that.

Nothing wrong with what they did. I was reading it can hurt a locker room etc. Well the players who are there the following season, and if they can nail a top draft pick..and said draft pick is killing it for them..think they will even give one **** about tanking a game? Doubtful.

Also, if Bill had mailed it in, with Kraft on board and went 1-15 and TL was here, or he went 2-14...and got Fields etc, nobody on the team would be complaining if he was helping them win games almost instantaneously. Let's say I'm a pro athlete with 3 years left on my contract. I don't care how nice Cam is, but we have no QB, and even then no weapons for said QB. We have a line, a stable of badass backs...so for the best team for my future a top 5 pick is crucial. Otherwise there is a dark abyss that I am staring into. Yeah I'm getting paid but I want to win. Picking 15th doesn't get me that.

We have no shot at a top flight QB unless you think trask or mac jones are that. Bill will likely have to find a QB again in the later rounds something he did with stidham but stidham can’t beat a guy who threw 8 td passes.

The punishment for the eagles for throwing a game should be two fold:

first - for the 2021 season, the Eagle’s players have to wear Jets logos on their helmet instead of wings.

Second - the eagles have to hire gase as assistant head coach, thus ensuring bb can not hire that Goofball gase!

Actually, Philly is in better shape than us. If they can find a real coach, they already have a QB, and now, a chance to draft a stud #1 WR. Two things you cannot win without in the NFL and two things we do not have. WE are a 2 -3 win team that managed to win 7 games. Now we pick in the middle of the draft which makes our chances of getting a decent QB almost zero. Our six Superbowls are absolutely meaningless today, in the 2021 season and beyond. We are not going to contend anytime soon. It is simply logical to place the long term future ahead of winning meaningless games, That doesn't make us lesser fans as is the sentiment I see here so often.
And rooting for the team to lose and rooting for them to tank are two different things. I think most people here would agree. I just wanted them to lose in order to make the path to rebuilding easier.
And for all your histrionics the difference between ten and fifteen could easily be the difference between getting a stud or another dud. This win was not inconsequential. Maybe the difference between getting a stud #1 WR that we desperately need and being to forced to draft a guard or tackle to get value with our pick. We absolutely need to get an All Pro with this first round pick. We've had too many consecutive bad drafts. A top ten pick gave us the best chance to do that. Actually, a top five pick did, but that ship sailed with disasterous "wins" against Baltimore and the Rams.
The takes on this board have been getting more and more terrible the moment Brady left NE. Are certain users going crazy or have the trolls been unleashed?

We have no shot at a top flight QB unless you think trask or mac jones are that. Bill will likely have to find a QB again in the later rounds something he did with stidham but stidham can’t beat a guy who threw 8 td passes.

Trey Lance and Zach Wilson are not top 5 or top 10 QBs. They are the type who go late in the first. I expect their stock will fall as we move into the combine/evaluation period. If BB passes on them, I am OK with that. He may actually grade them even lower than I do.

Ask yourself one question, If the Patriots were in the Eagles position and pulled that BS last night, how many draft picks would they lose????
Pederson was screwing the Giants and got 3 slots higher in the draft....... People here are laughing about it but someday, " won;t be as much fun when the deer has the gun" and the Eagles are the ones getting screwed......

Trey Lance and Zach Wilson are not top 5 or top 10 QBs. They are the type who go late in the first. I expect their stock will fall as we move into the combine/evaluation period. If BB passes on them, I am OK with that. He may actually grade them even lower than I do.

No way. Those guys are legit and will show that. Both have above average arm strength. Mobility etc.

he lost a game on purpose at seasons end i forget when now (was it the flutie dropkick game?)but it backfired and we lost to denver in playoffs.
No he didn’t.

This should be fascinating to compare the Pats and Eagles a year from now. Debate here for whether the Pats should have tried 100% every game like they did, or give up like the Eagles just did. I think this comment sums it up for me.

"Do 3 spots in the draft make really a huge difference? Why destroy the spirit of your team and the respect of your players just for 3 spots in the draft? "

Gmen missed the playoffs because of it?

BsUTta3.gif

No way. Those guys are legit and will show that. Both have above average arm strength. Mobility etc.

They play incredibly weak competition. That's my main problem. So sure arm strength looks great. But against teams that don't pay defenses, you have wide open offenses throwing downfield. Where's the diversity in plays? They will have a lot to learn in the NFL. They are not polished. To me, a guy picked at the top of the 1st round is the kind of guy who should be starting at some point in his first year. I can't think of a single such QB who hasn't. Lance and Wilson are going to need a lot of development as opposed to Lawrence and Fields, who have so much of the pro game down already, of necessity because of the competition they play.

Lovie and the Bucs did this a few years ago when they were leading at the half against the Saints in week 17 and pulled their starters. They then landed their prize a few months later: Jameis Winston.
Suck For Suck

I'll respond to this as I always do:

Win your division
Win your conference
Win the Super Bowl

Wild Card teams should be on their knees giving thanks for the chance to be in the post-season. I say drop all WC slots - keep making the playoffs meaningful.
The WTF's are in the playoffs because they only had a better losing record than 3 other teams, which makes up the worst division in NYFL history. They didn't earn diddlysquat.

Not only did multiple WC teams have better records than them but so did some teams sitting home. If you want meaningful playoffs the best way would be to have schedules as equal as possible with the best records getting in.

A mid round draft pick at the very least should be taken away. Hurts had no business being benched.

Hurts was 7/20 72 yds passing - no TD's 1 INT through almost three quarters.

I agree it was odd considering the circumstances, but no business getting benched????

Hurts was a rookie having a crappy game.

LOL. Well if Shank is in favor of it then Goodell shouldn’t do anything.

And lol at his shot at Brady being suspended “for taking air out of footballs”. No that isn’t why he was suspended. CHB should stick to baseball or other sports.

Yeah I'm getting paid but I want to win. Picking 15th doesn't get me that.
The 199th pick in 2000 is the GOAT QB and is still playing. I wonder what the top picks are doing these days.

Whats the big deal?

When a team pulls out all the stops, secret weapons and rainy day tricks to win a game that they really have to have, nobody *****es about why that team doesnt always go the extra mile for every game.

Their punishment? Change their name to the Jets. They already have the uniforms, just about. Demote the JETE to the next XFL style novelty league.

This is 100% opposite of how a professional athlete thinks.

Just as many suspected, it's going to hurt the culture of the Eagles and this won't be fixed until Pederson/Rosenman are fired. I saw Jalen Hurts' press conference and he was as bewildered as any person I've seen as to what happened. Apparently no one told him he was going to get yanked in the 4th. Pederson tells Collinsworth and Michaels in the production meeting, but not his starting QB?

Last edited:

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back