PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

What should the punishment be for the Eagles?

Hurts was 7/20 72 yds passing - no TD's 1 INT through almost three quarters.

I agree it was odd considering the circumstances, but no business getting benched????

Hurts was a rookie having a crappy game.
Hurts also gave the Eagles a better chance to win. It was 17-14 when he was pulled. By that time the eagles already gave up on two field goal attempts that would have made the score 20-17 Philly.

Last edited:

Just as many suspected, it's going to hurt the culture of the Eagles and this won't be fixed until Pederson/Rosenman are fired. I saw Jalen Hurts' press conference and he was as bewildered as any person I've seen as to what happened. No one told him he was going to get yanked in the 4th. Pederson tells Collinsworth and Michaels, but not his starting QB?
Bottom line is, there is zero chance 345 Park Ave's eyebrows wouldn't be raised if BB and the Patriots tried to do this even for one game never mind a whole season.

Deliberately losing games for better draft position is cheating. A team like the Patriots already on the league radar for cheating should stay far away from anything that can be interpreted as that.

Exactly why Pats shouldn’t have “tanked” vs. Jets.... you had players rebelling on sideline and a bunch of fans that are BS.

maintaining a winning culture is infinitely more important than two draft slots

I would've thought Pats fans would understand that more than we have.

Exactly why Pats shouldn’t have “tanked” vs. Jets.... you had players rebelling on sideline and a bunch of fans that are BS.

I mean I can understand not trying very hard in your last game if the difference is between getting Trevor Lawrence or not, but picking 9th is not much different than 6th. And if you want to desperately get the 6th pick, trade up on draft day. That way, you maintain a winning culture and you get the guy you want so badly. The only thing I suspect is that Jalen Hurts is not in Philly's plans going forward. The Eagles probably have a QB in mind with that 6th pick - Trey Lance perhaps.

The difference between a W and L against the Jets is three draft slots lower and a whole lot less embarrassment.

Tanking - meaning losing games on purpose to improve your draft position...is cheating. I don't respect cheaters.

Hurts also gave the Eagles a better chance to win. It was 17-14 when he was pulled. By that time the eagles already gave up on two field goal attempts that would have made the score 20-17 Philly.

Obviously true, but in final games of a season strange things happen. This is quite different than tanking a game.

A couple of years back the Patriots played in a last game that meant something to them and posters accused them of tanking the game to protect injured players. The Pats handed the ball off all game.

Sudfeld was in there throwing. They weren't handing the ball off every play like they wanted to lose. We played soon to be gone Cam instead of a young high draft choice QB. Strange things happen.

They play incredibly weak competition. That's my main problem. So sure arm strength looks great. But against teams that don't pay defenses, you have wide open offenses throwing downfield. Where's the diversity in plays? They will have a lot to learn in the NFL. They are not polished. To me, a guy picked at the top of the 1st round is the kind of guy who should be starting at some point in his first year. I can't think of a single such QB who hasn't. Lance and Wilson are going to need a lot of development as opposed to Lawrence and Fields, who have so much of the pro game down already, of necessity because of the competition they play.

Josh Allen was the same. He didn’t fare well in some games but how’s he doing these days?

The 199th pick in 2000 is the GOAT QB and is still playing. I wonder what the top picks are doing these days.

That’s one in a million. How many 199 QBs are starters in the nfl right now.

Jalen Hurts was 7/20 with 1 INT. Sudfeld was likely an upgrade. If anyone should be punished it's Joe Judge and the Giants for thinking they should be entitled to a playoff spot with a 6-10 record. That's straight up embarrassing.

I do not care for Phi and Nyg
Both were ugly this season probably Iggles were the worst...

Josh Allen was the same. He didn’t fare well in some games but how’s he doing these days?

He was the same. Except that he has exceptional size, and exceptional arm (much better than Wilson's), and he's a much better runner. If every team could take a QB like Wilson and make them into Josh Allen, they'd all be doing it.

As it stands, this is what some team will HOPE to do with Justin Fields.

Givn the short amount of time that Belichick will be here, I'd rather they bring in a vet like Garoppolo, Stafford or Wentz than try to develop guys that might not pan out--unless we're talking about Fields.

Make no apologies Philly......especially to 6 win sad sacks and their mouth-breather fan bases.

Advancing from 9th to 6th could yield quite an annuity for a GM willing to forego a few slots in the 1st rd.
Some mocks have all four 1st round graded QBs gone by #6 so a desperate QB-needy team could panic and wildly overpay for the last highly graded QB on the board.
Think of the bounty a BB-like GM could accumulate year after year off an extra premium pick.

I still don't understand why people think top 10 draft picks are "sure things" and that you get a significantly better pick at 15 vs 13 or whatever the slot is. Look at any draft in the past 20 years. The top 10 is scattered with "busts" and successful players. There are so many elements to the team-building aspect in this league and I would argue that this winning culture and strive for excellence that the Pats have instilled is WAY more important than a couple of draft slots one way or the other.

Why is that the BEST teams in the NFL over the last 20 years have barely sniffed the top 10? Pats, Ravens, Packers (yes, they are consistently pretty good) etc.. Chiefs with Mahomes is an outlier there. The reason is they put an emphasis on WINNING, not positioning themselves for the next draft pick.

That’s one in a million. How many 199 QBs are starters in the nfl right now.
There are plenty of stars and even HOFers who were picked after the 15th pick in the draft, which was the point that I was addressing, albeit with an exaggeration.

Just as many suspected, it's going to hurt the culture of the Eagles and this won't be fixed until Pederson/Rosenman are fired. I saw Jalen Hurts' press conference and he was as bewildered as any person I've seen as to what happened. Apparently no one told him he was going to get yanked in the 4th. Pederson tells Collinsworth and Michaels in the production meeting, but not his starting QB?

Sure I'll bet. Keyshan was just on WEEI and his response was, so what? He was doing what was best for his team and franchise. Dude played in the NFL and was pretty high profile iirc. As I posted, if I'm on a long term contract and that 6th pick is a stud that helps me win going forward, I don't give one bleep. Also, useless game, protect Hurts from getting hurt and it all is good to me.

Sure I'll bet. Keyshan was just on WEEI and his response was, so what? He was doing what was best for his team and franchise. Dude played in the NFL and was pretty high profile iirc. As I posted, if I'm on a long term contract and that 6th pick is a stud that helps me win going forward, I don't give one bleep. Also, useless game, protect Hurts from getting hurt and it all is good to me.
If you're going to tank, don't mess around with your starting QB and play him for 3 quarters and then pull him without prior notice. Either play sudfield the whole game or play Hurts. A win against WFT would have given Hurts a lot of confidence heading into the offseason.

Gmen missed the playoffs because of it?

BsUTta3.gif
I'llbet TFB is glad he doesn't have to face the Giants again in the playoffs......

From a high of a Lombardi to this in 3 years. #flyeaglesfly

I still don't understand why people think top 10 draft picks are "sure things" and that you get a significantly better pick at 15 vs 13 or whatever the slot is. Look at any draft in the past 20 years. The top 10 is scattered with "busts" and successful players. There are so many elements to the team-building aspect in this league and I would argue that this winning culture and strive for excellence that the Pats have instilled is WAY more important than a couple of draft slots one way or the other.

Why is that the BEST teams in the NFL over the last 20 years have barely sniffed the top 10? Pats, Ravens, Packers (yes, they are consistently pretty good) etc.. Chiefs with Mahomes is an outlier there. The reason is they put an emphasis on WINNING, not positioning themselves for the next draft pick.

All those teams you mentioned have franchise QBs or had in our case. They could make a mistake or two.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Back