PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

What do we want to see at Training Camp

And then this year there is no Jackson. Defense is going to be tough to watch I think with the LBs too but I assume Bill will figure it out somehow. I am very interested to see if some of the skill guys can take a step forward in year two - particularly Smith and Agahlor.
I don't think Defense is going to be tough to watch at all. They got faster and younger, it can't be worse than last year, watching the crew of old slow Linebackers give up slants, outside runs, and big plays over the middle.

They got some extremely good rookie talent at CB, speedier at LB. Pass rush might be the only thing holding them back. Running plays they can swarm to the ball quickly. I think the defense plays much better down the home stretch.

I don't think Defense is going to be tough to watch at all. They got faster and younger, it can't be worse than last year, watching the crew of old slow Linebackers give up slants, outside runs, and big plays over the middle.

They got some extremely good rookie talent at CB, speedier at LB. Pass rush might be the only thing holding them back. Running plays they can swarm to the ball quickly. I think the defense plays much better down the home stretch.

The DT position is still up in the air. I agree I think they have enough reserves and youth that the defense should get better as the season goes along if they listen to the coaching.

I am terrified of our pass defense especially when we play the high flying offenses. I hope you are right.

I am terrified of our pass defense especially when we play the high flying offenses. I hope you are right.
Between Butler, the two Jones, Mitchell, Wade, and Bethel. There's some real talent there. The pass defense will hold up long enough.

If Flowers can get healthy, bringing him back will def help the secondary though

It's about Coach Bill's drafting this year, full stop.

Given that he set the NCAA record for accuracy, I think that should be the least of your Mac Jones worries.

Its not a "worry" but it is an improvement opportunity. Watching his film, there are a lot of throws that, if delivered slightly more accurately, would have resulted in more YAC. It isn't a criticism of him, as he was incredibly accurate for a rookie QB. He's acknowledged that his footwork is an opportunity for improvement, and that's usually linked directly to accuracy. So there's something here to look forward to.

I'm expecting (and will be disappointed if it doesn't happen):
  • more visible leadership from QB
  • better WR play, and fierce competition there
  • a couple of new wrinkles in the offense, because of new leadership, and because you pretty much always have to do this in today's NFL
  • more speed to the ball on defense
I'm hoping for:
  • three surprises to make the roster because they unexpectedly blew everyone's socks off
  • the new athleticism on the defense to translate to pass rush improvement and short area pass coverage improvement

TC is always a time of overreacting. See N’Keal Harry since 2019. With that said, here’s what I’m most looking forward to:
  1. Watching the 4 new guards we drafted and signed as a UDFA.
  2. Seeing the CB competition shake out on padded days and scrimmages.
  3. How the team plans to use D’Eriq King.
  4. Personnel packages they want to use in order to work in a speedster like Thornton over the course of the year.
  5. Watching Peppers assume the Chung role.

TC is always a time of overreacting. See N’Keal Harry since 2019. With that said, here’s what I’m most looking forward to:
  1. Watching the 4 new guards we drafted and signed as a UDFA.
  2. Seeing the CB competition shake out on padded days and scrimmages.
  3. How the team plans to use D’Eriq King.
  4. Personnel packages they want to use in order to work in a speedster like Thornton over the course of the year.
  5. Watching Peppers assume the Chung role.
D’Eriq King has already been cut… poor athlete, not a QB.

With that said, here’s what I’m most looking forward to:
  1. Watching Peppers assume the Chung role.

Peppers might be more of a down hill player, not quite as versatile as Chung. For example, covering TEs I think we will use Dugger and Phillips. Having said that, I think the Pats will place Peppers in a role where his athleticism will shine.

I feel like people have just about covered everything, at least that we can predict three weeks in advance, so I'll add one kind of weird one: I want to see ONE guy who we've essentially given up on breakout and become a starter level contributor. Guys in this category (with the obvious disclaimer that all of these guys are EXTREMELY unlikely to do this, so don't kill me):

N'Keal Harry
JoeJuan Williams
JJ Taylor
Devin Asiasi
Dalton Keane
Yodne Cajuste
Henry Anderson

You could also consider Uche and Jennings in this group, but they're not quite there yet for me.

But if one guy in the top list turns out to be actually pretty good, I'll be happy. If I had to pick who is most likely, I would say Anderson. If I had to choose who I would LIKE to be that guy, it would be JJ Williams, if only because that's the area of the team that could use the biggest surprise contributor.

I feel like people have just about covered everything, at least that we can predict three weeks in advance, so I'll add one kind of weird one: I want to see ONE guy who we've essentially given up on breakout and become a starter level contributor. Guys in this category (with the obvious disclaimer that all of these guys are EXTREMELY unlikely to do this, so don't kill me):

N'Keal Harry
JoeJuan Williams
JJ Taylor
Devin Asiasi
Dalton Keane
Yodne Cajuste
Henry Anderson

You could also consider Uche and Jennings in this group, but they're not quite there yet for me.

But if one guy in the top list turns out to be actually pretty good, I'll be happy. If I had to pick who is most likely, I would say Anderson. If I had to choose who I would LIKE to be that guy, it would be JJ Williams, if only because that's the area of the team that could use the biggest surprise contributor.

Great list. Anderson is the most likely I agree. Asiasi and Keene could break out, it is almost like BB wants to prove he brought them along slowly.
Cajuste has the physical traits, but seems to be lost. We could really use a tackle to step up because Brown and Wynn going injury free for 17 games seems very unlikely. Herron seems steady, but unspectacular. Cajuste could be better, but seems to be off a beat. I think Mac's biggest hit (sack) last year was when Cajuste never moved as the ball was hiked.

I have given up on Harry, Williams, and Taylor. I doubt White will be on the initial 53, and would not be surprised if Taylor is let go.

N'Keal Harry
JoeJuan Williams
JJ Taylor
Devin Asiasi
Dalton Keane
Yodne Cajuste
Henry Anderson

interesting approach

I agree that Uche isn't on this list. He is the most likely starter opposite Uche.

I would put Jennings on this list. He is a last chance player just like the ones that you mentioned.

Williams could make the roster.

Cajuste and Anderson could be more serious contributors if either is healthy.

Absent injury, neither Asiasi or Keene will get many touches. Their best hope for a future is to be traded.

interesting approach

I agree that Uche isn't on this list. He is the most likely starter opposite Uche.

I would put Jennings on this list. He is a last chance player just like the ones that you mentioned.

Absent injury, neither Asiasi or Keene will get many touches. Their best hope for a future is to be traded.

With the Pats letting Jakob go, I think they might play with a H-back or S-back at times, which I believe will be Smith or Keene. Injury is always a possibility, and I see Keene as backing up Smith and Asiasi backing up Henry. I think we will carry the same number of RBs this year, but 4 TEs since Jakob is gone.

interesting approach

Why is Jennings a last chance guy? He played some as a rookie and was injured last year. He has not had a legit chance yet.

With the Pats letting Jakob go, I think they might play with a H-back or S-back at times, which I believe will be Smith or Keene. Injury is always a possibility, and I see Keene as backing up Smith and Asiasi backing up Henry. I think we will carry the same number of RBs this year, but 4 TEs since Jakob is gone.
so, we have no TE's qualified for the roster; so we should keep two? I'd rather sign a vet FA backup and cut them both.

D’Eriq King has already been cut… poor athlete, not a QB.
Thanks. I’ve taken the summer off and have been traveling. That’s a shame. He was a pretty good athlete before injury, but hasn’t been the same since. Oh well.

Did you mean starting opposite Judon? I think the guy is sweating bullets right now given how he's played. The opportunity is right there for Jennings or even Perkins to steal away from Uche.
I would agree, but guys like Harry and Williams to name a few have had many chances. However, Bill cut the cord with Winovich quickly so you never know.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Back