PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

We are posted as the #2 likely suspect for Lamar?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think if anything is clear it's that no one knows what Lamar really wants for money. No one. I'm sure he's looking to cash in on his only enormous contract by sports standards but that changes with different teams, different levels of talent etc. I highly doubt he has one number-one deal in mind and has some flexibility. I wouldn't be very flexible with Balty after what they've done either.
Injuries are a factor, for sure but a certain group of people are leading with that every time a discussion comes up. You can't ignore the magnitude of the situation for Jackson this year with the ****tshow that was Balty these past few years.

Is Mac injury prone if he misses 4 games this year??

Jackson is the best QB in the league multiple times a year. He's not perfect but one of the best duel threats the league has ever seen. You're gambling on someone either way. I'd rather strike out on great or swinging for the fences. As opposed to hitting singles or doubles with average. Especially in the AFC. Squeaking by with average-above average isn't how you win in this league.

We can get a general idea of what he wants from the reporting. Everything we have heard is that he is looking for a DeShaun Watson, totally guaranteed contract. And we have heard that the Ravens have offered to make Jackson the highest paid QB (other than Watson) and more guarantees than any other QB than Watson. Now that could be false reporting, but I tend to believe it is somewhat accurate.

And no Mac is not injury prone after four games of injury. And under normal circumstances, neither would Jackson after two years of missing four or five games each year. But that would be under normal circumstances. The problem is that if you give up the draft capital and pay him what he wants, you have be almost guaranteed that he will be an elite player who misses next to no games over the next four years or the team is screwed.

Jackson was the league MVP, but I don't know if he was ever the best QB in the league. The league MVP isn't necessarily the best QB.

Yes, you are gambling with a QB no matter what, but you are talking two first round picks and most likely a five year, $250 million contract guaranteed. You are not buying a $2 lottery ticket to win Powerball. You are buying 10,000 lottery tickets. Sure the odds are far better for winning, but ask the Broncos if they would have gambled what they did last year for Russell Wilson knowing what they know now.

I agree with this 100%. If you're going to take a gamble, why not gamble on greatness?

Like it or not New England has set a standard that is very high, it's championship or bust to be considered a successful season.

At the very least you need to make a deep playoff run, with promise that you can get back to the top of the mountain if you add a couple of the right pieces the next season.

Lamar Jackson represents that homerun swing. Go for the fences, GO BIG or Go home!

2gfxm3.jpg

Will it happen? Unknown, but there's a lot of smoke and there might be real fire behind these rumors. We'll just have to wait and see but it would be really exciting if we get a real gamechanger at the QB position for once.

We haven't had that since TB12 left town and won a championship for another team...
We had a game changer for 20 years and he was not appricated and took home town discounts , the big head coach says he could win with a avg qb... Mac is a solid qb but he is doing him wrong big time... im team mac

We had a game changer for 20 years and he was not appricated and took home town discounts , the big head coach says he could win with a avg qb... Mac is a solid qb but he is doing him wrong big time... im team mac
It would be ironic if we traded Mac Jones to the Ravens for Lamar Jackson, and he ended up winning a championship for the Ravens instead. I appreciate the risk. I also appreciate that BB has essentially thrown Mac Jones under the bus and maybe even sabotaged his career by putting Patricia in charge for his critical developmental sophomore season in the NFL.

However I find the risk of losing Mac Jones acceptable if the payoff is a potential homerun threat in Lamar Jackson.

I think BB is beginning to realize his coaching mortality, he can't win a championship without a great QB, and he can't just have flying monkeys aka Matt Patricia run the show on offense and still win in the NFL, he needs a real actual professional OC.

So down the road 5 years from now, if we traded for Lamar Jackson and won a couple more Lombardis and Mac Jones washed out with his next team, will we care? Probably not, we'll be enjoying the wins and championships. But could someone someday write a memoir about how BB did Mac Jones dirty and how he could have been an actually good NFL QB if he had been given the proper care and development?

Sure, but that type of book is for the historians. We root for the laundry.

And as Mr. Robert Kraft said himself: "But in the end, this is a business. You either execute and win or you don’t."

The Pats want an elite passer, they don't need an elite runner. They have RB's for that, they have one of the most talented RB's in the league in Rhamondre. I don't care if elite passing comes from Mac, Zappe or the kid they pick in the upcoming draft. What we know for sure, is it won't come from Lamar Jackson.

Lamar is a C- passer at best... if his legs give out, if he suffers a leg injury that slows him down, what you have is a poor passer who can't run and who has a massive contract that you traded multiple number 1 picks for. Even when completely healthy, he can't beat elite defenses that corral him in the pocket and force him to make tight windows throws under center... he simply hasn't shown the ability to do that.
mac jones neither, by your scale he would be a D- passer at best
What are we even debating here, this will never happen. BB will never trade for him, Kraft will never pay him guaranteed money, no owner will. This whole thing is a pipe dream by LJ truthers, but for Pat's fans would actually be a nightmare if it were to come true.

I agree with this 100%. If you're going to take a gamble, why not gamble on greatness?

Like it or not New England has set a standard that is very high, it's championship or bust to be considered a successful season.

At the very least you need to make a deep playoff run, with promise that you can get back to the top of the mountain if you add a couple of the right pieces the next season.

Lamar Jackson represents that homerun swing. Go for the fences, GO BIG or Go home!

2gfxm3.jpg

Will it happen? Unknown, but there's a lot of smoke and there might be real fire behind these rumors. We'll just have to wait and see but it would be really exciting if we get a real gamechanger at the QB position for once.

We haven't had that since TB12 left town and won a championship for another team...
Only problem with LJ is he isn't what greatness embodies, hasn't finished a season healthy in 2 years and has sucked in the playoffs.

You want to swing for the fences with those kind of questions?

Jeff George was a me-first loser. There is a reason he played on 5 different teams.

To consider he is in the same discussion as Elway is moronic.

There is more to quarterbacking than stats.
I'm not comparing the two. That was someone else.

There is more to quarterbacking than stats but stats aren't for losers... wins, winning%, game-winning drives, comebacks, first downs, TDs, TD%, red zone efficiency, passer rating, completed air yards, etc.

It would be ironic if we traded Mac Jones to the Ravens for Lamar Jackson, and he ended up winning a championship for the Ravens instead. I appreciate the risk. I also appreciate that BB has essentially thrown Mac Jones under the bus and maybe even sabotaged his career by putting Patricia in charge for his critical developmental sophomore season in the NFL.

However I find the risk of losing Mac Jones acceptable if the payoff is a potential homerun threat in Lamar Jackson.

I think BB is beginning to realize his coaching mortality, he can't win a championship without a great QB, and he can't just have flying monkeys aka Matt Patricia run the show on offense and still win in the NFL, he needs a real actual professional OC.

So down the road 5 years from now, if we traded for Lamar Jackson and won a couple more Lombardis and Mac Jones washed out with his next team, will we care? Probably not, we'll be enjoying the wins and championships. But could someone someday write a memoir about how BB did Mac Jones dirty and how he could have been an actually good NFL QB if he had been given the proper care and development?

And as Mr. Robert Kraft said himself: "But in the end, this is a business. You either execute and win or you don’t."
i dont like how the laundry looks but thats a story for another day

I'm not comparing the two. That was someone else.

There is more to quarterbacking than stats but stats aren't for losers... wins, winning%, game-winning drives, comebacks, first downs, TDs, TD%, red zone efficiency, passer rating, completed air yards, etc.
Yea not you. I don't respond to his posts. He is the biggest idiot on the board. Thinks he knows everything.

Win a lot and stats take care of themselves.

2gfxm3.jpg

he is far from a hr

We going to win a couple of Super Bowls with a quarterback who has won one playoff game in his five-year career and do this after giving up several first round picks and signing him to a huge contract which will make the building and keeping of a quality roster very difficult?

Only problem with LJ is he isn't what greatness embodies, hasn't finished a season healthy in 2 years and has sucked in the playoffs.

You want to swing for the fences with those kind of questions?
His injury history is overrated. It's becoming increasingly apparent that, although he had the legitimate excuse of being less than 100%, he blew off the team by the end of the season. Admittedly, if true, that's really bad, but he had his mind made up that he wasn't risking anything for a team that he felt wouldn't adequately commit to him (in his opinion). This really just means Baltimore needs to move on from the Lamar, the relationship is irretrievably ruined. But Lamar is healthy now and he will be 100% full go when training camp arrives (in New England).

I'm not worried about the playoff record. His supporting casts weren't good enough to compete with higher caliber playoff defenses. He racked up 500 yards of offense by himself and still lost. Wherever he lands, the playoff chances for that team will go way up, including New England's.

2gfxm3.jpg

Greatness wins championships. Greatness wins playoff games. Lamar has not been greatness to this point in his career. If this was Mahomes you were talking about, or Burrows, yes that is greatness. This is gambling on a player who has won a lot of individual awards, not sure that equates to greatness.

We going to win a couple of Super Bowls with a quarterback who has won one playoff game in his five-year career and do this after giving up several first round picks and signing him to a huge contract which will make the building and keeping of a quality roster very difficult?
I'll agree there's a risk involved on building around any QB.

But Lamar Jackson's talent is on another level . If there's someone you could risk it on, this could be the guy.

Some people have brought up Cam Newton failing with the Patriots but it's a different situation. Cam was on the wrong side of 30 and even the Panthers had given up on him by the time he joined the Patriots to rebuild the post-Brady era in New England.

Lamar Jackson is still in his physical prime at age 26 and his talent is electric and undeniable on the field. He's literally the gamechanger that the DC has nightmares planning for that this team has lacked for quite a while now.

You might say paying a franchise level QB his market value in today's NFL makes it hard to build a team around him.

But the Chiefs had no problem paying Mahomes his market value and winning the Superbowl this past season.

If teams are paying their QB top dollar and winning Superbowls, then that just becomes the necessary price of business to have a franchise talent at the position in today's NFL.

We had a game changer for 20 years and he was not appricated and took home town discounts ,
Spare me. The guy made $235m here. Tom made on average $1m less per year than money-grubbing Peyton Manning w the Colts. He was the highest paid player 2 years. To say Tom wasn't appreciated is absurd.

Note that Tom wanted to be here and win Super Bowls...and he did.
the big head coach says he could win with a avg qb... Mac is a solid qb but he is doing him wrong big time... im team mac
He never said that. That was moron Joe Judge.

Spare me. The guy made $235m here. Tom made on average $1m less per year than money-grubbing Peyton Manning w the Colts. He was the highest paid player 2 years. To say Tom wasn't appreciated is absurd.

Note that Tom wanted to be here and win Super Bowls...and he did.

He never said that. That was moron Joe Judge.
really? did not know that....
i doubt judge could win with mahomes

His injury history is overrated. It's becoming increasingly apparent that, although he had the legitimate excuse of being less than 100%, he blew off the team by the end of the season. Admittedly, if true, that's really bad, but he had his mind made up that he wasn't risking anything for a team that he felt wouldn't adequately commit to him (in his opinion). This really just means Baltimore needs to move on from the Lamar, the relationship is irretrievably ruined. But Lamar is healthy now and he will be 100% full go when training camp arrives (in New England).

So it's OK to swing for the fences on a player who abandoned his team? At least Carr issued a press release saying he left the team. Whether it's 'tude or durability, either way thats a red flag.
I'm not worried about the playoff record. His supporting casts weren't good enough to compete with higher caliber playoff defenses.
He was on a 14-2 team. #1 seed and pooped his pants.
He racked up 500 yards of offense by himself and still lost. Wherever he lands, the playoff chances for that team will go way up, including New England's.
Yep it happens.

In the end I agree, LJ is an upgrade over Mac Jones but let's not ignore LJs baggage, salary demands and lack of post-season success.

Last edited:
LOL Joe Judge couldn't win if he had the 15-1 1984 49ers roster because he'd instruct the wide receivers to run into one another and piss off half the coaching staff by poking his nose into other people's business. :haha:
...or he'd have the 85 Bears play prevent defense on 1st down and drop The Fridge, Dan Hampton and Richard Dent in coverage.

So it's OK to swing for the fences for a player who abandoned his team?
I suppose my answer in this case (if in fact true) is yes. His "abandonment" is Ravens specific. It will have no bearing on his commitment to the team who's given him a 5-year mega-deal. He's a competitor, holds himself to a very high standard, and he still knows he has a lot to prove.

In the end I agree, LJ is an upgrade over Mac Jones but let's not ignore LJs baggage, salary demands and lack of post-season success.
It's not baggage that will carry over. The salary will be resolved in a mutually agreed upon way or the trade wouldn't even happen. I'll take my chances with BB's postseason experience and a rejuvenated offense with a competent OC and a wildly dynamic QB.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes