PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

We are posted as the #2 likely suspect for Lamar?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I suppose my answer in this case (if in fact true) is yes. His "abandonment" is Ravens specific. It will have no bearing on his commitment to the team who's given him a 5-year mega-deal. He's a competitor, holds himself to a very high standard, and he still knows he has a lot to prove.
I think he handled it immaturely but whatever.
It's not baggage that will carry over. The salary will be resolved in a mutually agreed upon way or the trade wouldn't even happen. I'll take my chances with BB's postseason experience and a rejuvenated offense with a competent OC and a wildly dynamic QB.
The baggage is his injury history and 'tude. Hell Corey Dillon had those same issues but those issues at QB is a different matter.

maybee if he lands at taco bell he can make it into a true mexican restaurant then fast food.... cause he so great :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Bedard says it ain't happening "according to 3 sources close to the situation." Take that how you will. I often don't like him but I don't think he'd straight up lie-- somebody inside the Pats fed him something.

Bedard says it ain't happening "according to 3 sources close to the situation." Take that how you will. I often don't like him but I don't think he'd straight up lie-- somebody inside the Pats fed him something.

It wouldn't be surprising if they're not in on him. It was a fairly off the cuff comment from Kraft that we all decided was worth infinitely dissecting (also not surprising, especially this time of year).

Well, if the Pats sent Jones in terms of compensation, it would not be with two first round picks. Jones would be sent instead of one of the two first rounders.
The only way the Ravens can get anything other than two firsts is if Jackson signs the tender. Until he does, BAL can't even discuss trades.

I'll agree there's a risk involved on building around any QB.

But Lamar Jackson's talent is on another level . If there's someone you could risk it on, this could be the guy.

Some people have brought up Cam Newton failing with the Patriots but it's a different situation. Cam was on the wrong side of 30 and even the Panthers had given up on him by the time he joined the Patriots to rebuild the post-Brady era in New England.

Lamar Jackson is still in his physical prime at age 26 and his talent is electric and undeniable on the field. He's literally the gamechanger that the DC has nightmares planning for that this team has lacked for quite a while now.

You might say paying a franchise level QB his market value in today's NFL makes it hard to build a team around him.

But the Chiefs had no problem paying Mahomes his market value and winning the Superbowl this past season.

If teams are paying their QB top dollar and winning Superbowls, then that just becomes the necessary price of business to have a franchise talent at the position in today's NFL.

hes a "nightmare" to gameplan for until he tweaks an ankle or something, then he becomes an average pocket QB

If it were as slam dunk of a decision as you state, teams would be knocking each other over to give the Ravens two 1st round picks right now

We can get a general idea of what he wants from the reporting. Everything we have heard is that he is looking for a DeShaun Watson, totally guaranteed contract. And we have heard that the Ravens have offered to make Jackson the highest paid QB (other than Watson) and more guarantees than any other QB than Watson. Now that could be false reporting, but I tend to believe it is somewhat accurate.
Look he's trying to cash in. At 26 I believe this is the big one. That said I don't believe in the black & white stuff we've been hearing. I'm sure he was a goal in mind here but that changes from team to team and what they can ultimately offer him.
And no Mac is not injury prone after four games of injury. And under normal circumstances, neither would Jackson after two years of missing four or five games each year.
If Mac misses 3-4 games this year its a few less than Jackson over a 2 year span. Jackson missed 8 in two years. If Mac misses 6-8 he's injury prone by posters standards on here.

And we all know Jackson said F U to Balty after the way they handled multiple injuries over the years. Its been a big issue and multiple players have spoken out about it. Including Batman the day Jackson asked for a trade March 2nd. The lack of help at WR - spending the least in the league. Maybe not the best look but I absolutely see why he's not risking his future for a team that screwed up so badly when they had him on a rookie deal. I wouldn't do them any favors either.

Jackson was the league MVP, but I don't know if he was ever the best QB in the league. The league MVP isn't necessarily the best QB.
There have been many instances where Jackson was the best QB in the league over the years. It's mostly between a certain group but there have been games Allen, Herbert, Jackson etc are are better than Mahomes. Just like last year Hurts was QB1 some weeks. You have your constants but it's somewhat of a revolving door betweena small group.
Yes, you are gambling with a QB no matter what, but you are talking two first round picks and most likely a five year, $250 million contract guaranteed.
The two 1st doesn't have to be two 1st depending on if other players are involved. You have to pay great players. We obviously disagree about the injury issue. He's misses some time but last year was a special situation with his contract and obvious change between him and the franchise.

I have no problem not making a trade for Lamar. But if they want to sniff the playoffs they better add a WR 1 to this offense.

With respect it's more than clear you don't know what you're talking about but say the burden is on me lol ???

This is common knowledge my friend and I'm not being sarcastic or mean. This is something that's obviously a hot topic and been looked upon over and over recently.

You guys are stubborn and dont want to learn or join the year 2023 lol.

Who's to say which hits are worse? Blindside you can't see coming in the pocket or when you're heads on a swivel? Look numbers have been showing for a while there's no difference.

Sorry but you're so wrong it's not funny. And again this is old news. It's almost like you just started watching football and I'm not being mean. You ever hear of Michael Vick? Steve Young? Fran? Cam? Cunningham? All those players played over 10 years.

"Injury Proneness of Running QBs is Overstated
October 17, 2019, 12:49 pm ET
Good research in this Yahoo! piece from our buddies at Sports Info Solutions finds that the risk of getting injured on a designed quarterback run is remote. Quarterbacks are much more likely to be injured on a scramble or a sack -- and particularly, on a quarterback knockdown after a pass is thrown."

"As you’ll see in the chart below, regardless of how we sliced the data, there was no statistically significant difference in injury rates between mobile and conventional quarterbacks. Quarterbacks of both types tend to lose 11 to 14 percent of their starts to injury. Even without counting the thus-far injury-free Kaepernick, three of the four tests produced a lower injury rate for mobile quarterbacks. The gap, though, is small enough that a statistician would call it zero."

@They_Hate_We also posted a link.
Thanks for posting this. Really interesting. I "assumed" like most that running quarterbacks were more injury prone. Reading this stuff, and thinking about it, it actually makes sense that they are not, e.g, getting blindsided in the pocket is worse than running where you can brace for impact .. along those lines anyway. I learned something, which I appreciate .. thanks! [But I still don't want Lamar, ha ha]

No chance Belichick/Patriots give up 2 first rounders + massive contract. Especially considering the style of QB he is. If it's Burrow wanting out, then you definitely do it. Otherwise, they're better off phoning the Rams to offer 2 first rounders for Aaron Donald. Or Pittsburgh for TJ Watt.

One of the Pats biggest needs has been blocking TE for a few years now. Get him a legit inline blocker that can catch - few of those in this year's class. We need one big time regardless it's hurting this offense.

Can you suggest two or three for us to watch?

Thanks for posting this. Really interesting. I "assumed" like most that running quarterbacks were more injury prone. Reading this stuff, and thinking about it, it actually makes sense that they are not, e.g, getting blindsided in the pocket is worse than running where you can brace for impact .. along those lines anyway. I learned something, which I appreciate .. thanks! [But I still don't want Lamar, ha ha]
Most of these guys have been running since they played the position. It's natural, their vision is as good as a RB and the rules favor QBs a great deal.

It is interesting bc yea those blindside crunching hit or having a 300 pounder put his weight on you to drag you down in a pocket scrum is about as bad as any hit you'll ever take.

Fair enough. I really don't hate Mac. Just would jump at the chance for an upgrade at the most important position. I think you can win with him but he needs what he had in Bama to bring you a chip. Simplified scheme to an extent (Bama didnt ask him to do much), top tier protection (most important), targets (I think he could get you to the playoffs with above average if the others are in place) and running game (we have that).

In the end I agree, LJ is an upgrade over Mac Jones but let's not ignore LJs baggage, salary demands and lack of post-season success.

Here, here. With LJ's salary demands what other players do we lose? I do not begrudge LJ his money, but there is a balance and I am not sure what other players we lose paying LJ a huge contract. I do not care about RK's checkbook, and any coach including BB is better with a top 5 QB.

Are we ready for a SB run in 2023 if we start paying LJ? In 2024? It feels like we are at least one more year away (last year was a feckfest), one more good draft away, and then we could use LJ, if Mac is not good, in 2023.

Can you suggest two or three for us to watch?
Darnell Washington, Michael Mayer is a very good blocker, not great but really good. Schoonmaker is a beast. I like him for us. Brevyn Spann-Ford is a nice Washington consultation prize. Cade Stover. Brenton Strange is pretty good.

Josh Allen is 4-4 in the playoffs.

A couple of years ago most of this forum would have loved Watson as their QB. He's 1-2.

Justin Herbert is a 500% QB and 0-1 in the playoffs losing a huge lead last year against Lawrence. Would we complain about giving him money?

If you've watched football long enough you know the playoffs are a different animal all together.

Jackson first po start was like his 8th overall in the league after going 6-1 taking over mid-season. Chargers had a hell of a game plan and Balt gave up 20 pressures.

Second playoff game came off a bye I believe. Ravens were out of it. Flat. Big drops. Played with no fire. It happens.

Ravens played very well as a team and got a W.

Bills blitzed 50% pressured him 41%. He led the team on 4 fg drives that resulted in 3 points I believe.

Context helps. He needs to play better but his teams were unprepared and got little help from others. Something that's spilled over in the regular season. He's 26 judging him on his playoff record is just looking for an excuse. Especially considering that same crowd preaches how it's a team game, coaching effects etc

mac jones neither, by your scale he would be a D- passer at best
By my scale he gets an incomplete for 2022, after receiving a C+ as a rookie... which is a very good score for a rookie QB.

Every offensive player gets a mulligan from last season, they couldn't overcome the incompetence of the offensive coaches.

By my scale he gets an incomplete for 2022, after receiving a C+ as a rookie... which is a very good score for a rookie QB.

Every offensive player gets a mulligan from last season, they couldn't overcome the incompetence of the offensive coaches.

I'd say being the NFL's 13th-ranked quarterback as a rookie earned Mac a solid B.

This is creating a mess, ex and current Patriots players tweeting about Lamar now. Kraft should have never mentioned anything, either make it happen or squash the rumors asap.

I feel bad for Mac, dude is in a no win situation.
Agreed! I feel back for Mac also. Once RK said it's up to BB regarding trading for Lamar I then knew it definitely won't happen..

I'd say being the NFL's 13th-ranked quarterback as a rookie earned Mac a solid B.
I was going to go B- but thought I'd be a tough grader.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News