PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Video: All of Brady's Pass Attempts vs KC: (Weak "fluttering" arm my ass)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tony2046

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
2019 Weekly Picks Winner
2021 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
Disclaimer: I am posting this for discussion purposes only. I am not an expert and my opinions are simply my own but are always open for feedback or discussion.

No, there weren't any "fluttering" passes and no, there wasn't any evidence of any weak arm BS.

I am hoping this will lead into some football discussions about and some confidence in the Pats offense.

Each pass is displayed twice. Once from the sideline view and once by the end zone view.

My notes. Opinions are typed in red.

upload_2017-9-14_0-50-20.png
upload_2017-9-14_0-51-20.png
upload_2017-9-14_0-52-19.pngupload_2017-9-14_0-52-19.png

Things to watch for: (Listed by pass number)

# 4 - Amendola jukes that **** out of a DB's shoes to get open for a 16 yard gain.

# 31 - How easily Brady threw a 54 yard bomb. Weak arm my ass.

# 41 - How Dorsett affected the coverage.

Enjoy!

Criticisms and other feedback are welcome.

References:

Kansas City Chiefs at New England Patriots - September 7th, 2017 | Pro-Football-Reference.com
{0} - NFL Game Pass | Live Preseason Games & Game Replays

Last edited:
This offense will get more in synch as the games go by. I do think we need Malcolm Mitchell back healthy hopefully later on during the season.

Mitchell has a great ability of creating space whether it's in short or intermediate routes.

I missed the game had to work, tnx for post Tony.

Lot of super tight coverage, looked like Hogan was running around with a red and white blow-up doll attached to his hip.

Watching this makes me want to stop what I'm doing, run to church and light a candle that Amendola gets back on the field soon. No joke. The last 6-7 minutes of this footage was difficult to watch.

Play 40--What was Cannon thinking on this sack by Houston? Terrible technique here. First I thought he may have just been confused, but if so, that's even worse.

Play 41--You're right. They certainly give Dorsett a cushion here, although I'm guessing that's mostly due to the fact that they figured he would be running a long, downfield route. Part of that thinking was likely due to the fact that Brady had been forced to throw so many downfield passes, part of that was likely due to not really respecting Dorsett's game since he was brand new and would be running limited routes, and part of that was likely due to the fact that they flooded the middle of the field/Amendola being out. If they can use him to draw that kind of coverage while taking advantage of the underneath/middle of the field stuff, it could be one helluva successful play. Imagine play 13 (Cooks crosser) run with Dorsett helping to dictate coverage on play 41? It could be quite the nice little play.

Number 13...brady forces it to Gronk..meanwhile cooks beat single coverage and is running free down the left seam

I love this. #6- It looks like Brady could have easily ran it himself on the left side.

Number 13...brady forces it to Gronk..meanwhile cooks beat single coverage and is running free down the left seam
Play 13 is the middle crossing route to Cooks that goes for about fifteen yards.

I'm not sure which one you mean? I watched both 12 and 14 too, but I don't believe either one of those was to Gronk. 12 was to Amendola and 14 was to Burkhead.

Again, it's not about weak arm. If you watch his replays, especially his sideline passes to Cooks they were massively off target. Way to high, too low, to wide etc. Especially the high ones. No reason to have airmailed those or been that off. And no, most weren't due to coverage. He jut threw them badly. It was a trend all night. He airmailed incompletions, then underthrew then, yes underthrew the long completion to Cooks and even that last post route that got broken up. Cooks had to slow down just enough to get tackled on the first and broken up on the post play.

I will be looking for much more accurate passing in NO.

Play 40--What was Cannon thinking on this sack by Houston? Terrible technique here. First I thought he may have just been confused, but if so, that's even worse.

Maybe someone is actually looking at the OL but one thought to keep in mind is that edge rushers often set up plays the same way offenses do as well. Maybe Houston was doing certain moves up until that point and that time he switched it up because Cannon started to overadjust for what Houston had been doing the last few times.

One 1v1 loss of an OL in isolation can look pretty bad when in reality that one win was set up in some losses before.

Last edited:
Again, it's not about weak arm. If you watch his replays, especially his sideline passes to Cooks they were massively off target. Way to high, too low, to wide etc. Especially the high ones. No reason to have airmailed those or been that off. And no, most weren't due to coverage. He jut threw them badly. It was a trend all night. He airmailed incompletions, then underthrew then, yes underthrew the long completion to Cooks and even that last post route that got broken up. Cooks had to slow down just enough to get tackled on the first and broken up on the post play.

I will be looking for much more accurate passing in NO.

So now we are moving the goalposts from ducks to massively off target which is the next hyperbole ******** term. Do you know what massively off target means ? Go watch some Osweiler.

Some throws were slightly overthrown, some underthrown. There is nothing concerning about this, as a QB doesnt just get used to new players and their speeds without real game reps. Practice only takes you so far.

You know what would have been really problematic ? If he started to be very inaccurate with players like Amendola on high percentage throws.

The offense will sort itself out in the first 3-4 games and the defense will as well in the first half of the season. Gotta grind through those first games until that happens and just steal some wins.

If you watch his replays, especially his sideline passes to Cooks they were massively off target. Way to high, too low, to wide etc.
This is what I was referring to when I spoke about the chemistry that will need to be established between Brady/Cooks. It will come with time.

A few here seemed to get excited by the fact that Cooks caught a deep pass and got interfered with, but as a whole, they showed some timing issues. I wouldn't necessarily put it on either player, but that's just me. I think that we'll see this improve as the weeks go on. Both are special players and even in limited production, still showed what they're capable of.

Some throws were slightly overthrown, some underthrown. There is nothing concerning about this, as a QB doesnt just get used to new players and their speeds without real game reps. Practice only takes you so far.

You know what would have been really problematic ? If he started to be very inaccurate with players like Amendola on high percentage throws.
No doubt. Well said.

People are talking about arm strength just because Peyton had a weak arm at the end. There is a lot more to it than arm strength. Do you think Drew had a weak arm at the end? Brett Favre? Take a closer look at the speed of the game. The plays are not developing on time so everything goes deep. I have seen this movie before.

As I noticed, he was too high often. That means too strong. 1st game and I'm sure he never gets as much action in preseason as he'd like. Good team, failed to cash in early, defense was confused and he had new receivers with Julian snatched away from the game plan.

Relax, every season has problems to overcome.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News