Status
Not open for further replies.

Tony2046

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
2019 Weekly Picks Winner
2021 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
I'm posting these four plays for discussion purposes. I'll offer my thoughts on each but I really don't know where each of these plays broke down. I do think communication was the main factor in the first three but think someone was out of position on the last one. Not sure who.

Anyways frustrating to watch to say the least.

1. (9:28) (Shotgun) A.Smith pass deep right to T.Hill for 75 yards, TOUCHDOWN.
- I have no idea what Gilmore was doing on this play.

2. (14:19) (Shotgun) A.Smith pass deep right to K.Hunt for 78 yards, TOUCHDOWN.
- I would have preferred Marsh covering the RB coming out of the backfield instead of Harmon and had Harmon stay in front of Hunt instead of Marsh chasing him from behind. Nice play design by KC though.

3. (4:15) (Shotgun) K.Hunt left end pushed ob at NE 21 for 58 yards (D.McCourty).
- KC's big 3 TE set. They ran that formation a few times with success during the game.
- This formation and play looks exactly like Denver's 2015 Overtime TD play using J. Anderson down the sideline in week 12.

4. (4:05) C.West right guard for 21 yards, TOUCHDOWN.
- Not sure who was out of position here.. Looks like Guy lost the battle to me.

I'm a kool aid drinker of the first order but this loss was on the coaches. Any defense that relies on Jordan Richards is suspect to me. Who calls a defense that has a new defensive end covering the back one on one? The coaches were too smart for themselves this week. It happens. Excuse me, I'm getting thirsty, I'm headed for the kool aid.

Cats do not drink Kool Aid.

Just curious but how much press coverage did this team do if any in this game?

#1) Gilmore was playing cover2 which has been confirmed as the call. He stops at the depth limit of his assigned zone.
McCourty screwed up.

Hey Admins can we maybe make sure that people stay on topic in this thread ? @Tony2046 took a ton of effort of creating game clips and then some dipshits come in and go off topic asking about press coverage or *****ing about Jordan Richards.

Stay on the frakking topic or go to another thread to *****.

Gilmore looks to be playing Cover-2 and McCourty looks as if he forgot the call on the first one.

EDIT: Andy beat me.

1. (9:28) (Shotgun) A.Smith pass deep right to T.Hill for 75 yards, TOUCHDOWN.
- I have no idea what Gilmore was doing on this play.

@AndyJohnson and others in various threads have written about this already. Just if you want some more insight into that play it was also the topic on this weeks episode of the Ex Pats podcast with Koppen and Girardi as well as the newest QuickSlants with Curran, Perry and Mayo. The latter being a lot better than the former that consisted of a lot of I dont know what happened talk.

2. (14:19) (Shotgun) A.Smith pass deep right to K.Hunt for 78 yards, TOUCHDOWN.
- I would have preferred Marsh covering the RB coming out of the backfield instead of Harmon and had Harmon stay in front of Hunt instead of Marsh chasing him from behind. Nice play design by KC though.

Came up at various spots and I think I also referred to this. There was an earlier play in the game where the KC motioned Hill for a sweep and DMac was responsible to cover for that on the edge. In this play as soon as Hill motions Harmon came crashing down and takes the option away.

NqHi432.png

If you look at the defense everything looks pretty well covered. I mean maybe KVN (green arrow) could have been in better position but it was just good play design. Curran and Perry talk a bit about that play as well on QuickSlants.

@AndyJohnson and others in various threads have written about this already. Just if you want some more insight into that play it was also the topic on this weeks episode of the Ex Pats podcast with Koppen and Girardi as well as the newest QuickSlants with Curran, Perry and Mayo. The latter being a lot better than the former that consisted of a lot of I dont know what happened talk.

Came up at various spots and I think I also referred to this. There was an earlier play in the game where the KC motioned Hill for a sweep and DMac was responsible to cover for that on the edge. In this play as soon as Hill motions Harmon came crashing down and takes the option away.

NqHi432.png

If you look at the defense everything looks pretty well covered. I mean maybe KVN (green arrow) could have been in better position but it was just good play design. Curran and Perry talk a bit about that play as well on QuickSlants.

Thanks for that. I'll check it out.

I want to add that A. Smith's throw on that play was perfect.

3. (4:15) (Shotgun) K.Hunt left end pushed ob at NE 21 for 58 yards (D.McCourty).
- KC's big 3 TE set. They ran that formation a few times with success during the game.
- This formation and play looks exactly like Denver's 2015 Overtime TD play using J. Anderson down the sideline in week 12.

Oh, so you mean there was a blatant hold that wasn't called. Makes sense.

4. (4:05) C.West right guard for 21 yards, TOUCHDOWN.
- Not sure who was out of position here.. Looks like Guy lost the battle to me.

Also, Witzmann tackles Van Noy on that play. It's on the other side of the line, but penalties away from the ball get called all the time.

NqHi432.png

I think vannoy being aware of where the receiver threatening his area of the field is would be the correction. No lb can cover that route effectively so killing marsh is out of line. If anything it shows his effort and motor. If HT wee still in the game he is unlikely to be able to cover that route either.
Every defensive call has a risk or weak spot. In this case it's the OLB in hunt and KC just happened to be in a play where the route to cover was as hard as it can be for a LB.
There also was a lot of time to throw.

Oh, so you mean there was a blatant hold that wasn't called. Makes sense.

Also, Witzmann tackles Van Noy on that play. It's on the other side of the line, but penalties away from the ball get called all the time.

You're right. I don't mind that being a no call. I do mind how they were allowed to play Grope- a- Gronk defense all night.

Yeah, it looks like he was working on his hog-tie technique. Even for an away from the ball hold, that is one that should be flagged every time.

I think vannoy being aware of where the receiver threatening his area of the field is would be the correction. No lb can cover that route effectively so killing marsh is out of line. If anything it shows his effort and motor. If HT wee still in the game he is unlikely to be able to cover that route either.
Every defensive call has a risk or weak spot. In this case it's the OLB in hunt and KC just happened to be in a play where the route to cover was as hard as it can be for a LB.
There also was a lot of time to throw.

I totally agree. I was thinking the same thing about HT being in the game. It might have changed what KC calls but if this situation comes up exactly identically HT might have looked even more exposed in pursuit than Marsh.

I said it in the game thread, even though he gave up the play against a very quick Hunt I thought that the fight Marsh showed and how close he stayed on him was pretty encouraging as was his entire performance given that he was not on that team a week prior to the game.

I want to add that A. Smith's throw on that play was perfect.

Of the ten thousands reactions to this game, I think this is the first comment I've seen that suggests the KC players played a good game. Everything has been a reflection of the Pats' breakdown, not reflective that Smith, Hunt, and Hill had career best days.

I guess they are two sides of the same coin in some ways.

The most frustrating thing about these four plays (besides generating the loss), especially the two home runs in the final quarter, is that they happen against a defense that is historically great at being disciplined until the end of the game. The Pats are probably the best team in the league year in and out being impeccable finishers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Back