PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Video: Saints Preview -Saints Offense vs the Vikings 4-3 Def.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tony2046

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
2019 Weekly Picks Winner
2021 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
With the Pats vs Saints game coming up tomorrow I wanted to see how the Vikings Def slowed down the Brees led offense.

Note: If I have time next week and people enjoy it I'll try to get one of these out earlier in the week. Didn't think of it until today. (This one is a little sloppy and rushed so there may be some mistakes)

I've included the first series in which the Saints scored a field goal and added their two big plays during the game at the end. The Vikings defense remained the same pretty much throughout the game which was in a Base 4-3 (someone can elaborate further on that if they wish).

With the same "I'm not an expert" disclaimer I would say that I feel a lot more positive about tomorrow's game than I did prior to watching the Saints game as I think the Pats have the personnel to stop their running game, get pressure on Brees and cover their receiving threats. But have to add that with Brees you'll never know.

Thoughts:

The Saints tried to establish their running game but couldn't and seemed to use it to "keep the defense honest" later in the game.

It looks like the Vikings went into the game with a plan to disrupt the timing routes. Brees misses on a few throws but doubt it's due to a "weak arm" or "fluttering" passes although his "athletic processing" looks flimsy. :eek::eek::D

Peterson is interesting. I've read that he's a pass blocking liability that offers little to no threat in the passing game. What is he doing on the Saints roster? Will they try to draw up some gimmicky plays with him in the backfield? Curious. Anyways the Saints may try to establish the run game again. I hope the Pats shut it down.

I've listed the Plays below the video. (I didn't double check their order.)

Plays:

1. 1ST & GOAL AT NO 19 |14:56 A.Peterson right guard to NO 28 for 9 yards (B.Gedeon).

2. 2ND & GOAL AT NO 28 |14:17 A.Peterson right tackle to NO 29 for 1 yard (T.Johnson; E.Kendricks).

3. 1ST & GOAL AT NO 29 |13:29 PENALTY on NO-L.Warford, False Start, 5 yards, enforced at NO 29 - No

4. 1ST & GOAL AT NO 24 |13:15 D.Brees pass incomplete short left to C.Fleener (E.Kendricks).

5. 2ND & GOAL AT NO 24 |13:11 A.Kamara up the middle to NO 27 for 3 yards (L.Joseph). PENALTY on MIN-L.Joseph, Face Mask (15 Yards), 15 yards, enforced at NO 27.

6. 1ST & GOAL AT NO 42 |12:52 D.Brees pass short left to M.Thomas to 50 for 8 yards (X.Rhodes).

7. 2ND & GOAL AT 50 |12:19 M.Ingram left end to MIN 48 for 2 yards (E.Griffen).

8. 1ST & GOAL AT MIN 48 |11:53 D.Brees pass short left to M.Ingram to MIN 30 for 18 yards (A.Sendejo).

9. 1ST & GOAL AT MIN 30 |11:23 D.Brees pass short right to T.Ginn pushed ob at MIN 22 for 8 yards (T.Waynes).

10. 2ND & GOAL AT MIN 22 |10:48 J.Kuhn up the middle to MIN 20 for 2 yards (A.Barr).

11. 1ST & GOAL AT MIN 20 |10:12 A.Kamara up the middle to MIN 19 for 1 yard (E.Kendricks).

12. 2ND & GOAL AT MIN 19 |09:40 D.Brees pass short right to J.Kuhn to MIN 6 for 13 yards (A.Barr). PENALTY on NO-A.Peat, Offensive Holding, 10 yards, enforced at MIN 19 - No Play.

13. 2ND & GOAL AT MIN 29 |09:17 M.Ingram right tackle to MIN 25 for 4 yards (A.Barr; H.Smith).

14. 3RD & GOAL AT MIN 25 |08:32 D.Brees pass incomplete deep left to T.Lewis.

Big Plays:

1ST & GOAL AT NO 40
03:50
D.Brees pass deep right to T.Lewis to MIN 8 for 52 yards (T.Waynes). Penalty on MIN-T.Waynes, Defensive Pass Interference, declined.

2ND & GOAL AT MIN 8 02:00 D.Brees pass short middle to C.Fleener for 8 yards, TOUCHDOWN.

@Tony2046 - I know for a fact that these breakdowns that you put together take a long time to put together. Just wanted to say how very much we all appreciate the effort.

I enjoy doing them and I enjoy the feedback. Also it's easy to say, "Brady's passes were fluttering" or "Gilmore blew that coverage" but when a knowledgeable poster states why it wasn't Gilmore's responsibility or demonstrates that Cooks wasn't open on every play the facts of the game become a little more clearer.

This video was, in part, inspired by a comment @AndyJohnson made about using a 4-3 or 4-2 (IIRC). So I wanted to see how Brees attacked the Vikings 4-3 and if the Pats could match that type of personnel which I think they can.

So now I am curious to see if the Pats will use a 4-3 base tomorrow.

Reactions: Ian
Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back