PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Veteran Backup QB

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ricky Stanzi.

We worked him out this spring and he played at Iowa under Kirk Ferentz, thus at least some of our offensive concepts would be within his grasp. 6'4", 228.

We need to do something ASAP. We cannot essentially take Edelman off the field for 2 weeks to serve as primary backup.

I am sure they have this all lined up. They were carrying just 2 QB and one getting hurt was not out of the realm of possibility in pro football.

Who it is will be revealed shortly.

If its a vet, I bet it is going to cost some salary because they will be cut in two games.

We need to do something ASAP. We cannot essentially take Edelman off the field for 2 weeks to serve as primary backup.

I'd be stunned if someone, or a couple of someones, is not already on a plane to Boston. That's why you have the detailed rolodex.

I'm LOLing at the Edelman suggestions.

He's an emergency in game option. Never ever will they go into the game w him as the back up.

Why? BECAUSE HES NOT A QB AND HES OUR BEST WR

I'd be stunned if someone, or a couple of someones, is not already on a plane to Boston. That's why you have the detailed rolodex.

I agree. I also think BB was prepared for Brissett to step in - he has faith in the kid. I was merely noting we do not want our best WR and team spark plug sitting - we are thin at WR too.

I'm not as concerned about that as about the possibility of paying him for weeks 5 to 17 if he's not a Patriot.

I'm not.. It's a small price all things considered..

Watch BB surprise us and make Derby the back-up QB.. Already knows the play-book. or a good portion of it..

Why do I have this feeling that Belichick is secretly welcoming this challenge???

I think that Belichick would prefer not to have those challenges, but doesn't hate them either..

I doubt it. After beating a team favored by 9.5, and then crushing Miami for the first 1.5 quarters, he probably was super excited to find out that Jimmy G is the man. Saw the game go to **** after the injury, had to hold on for dear life.

Nothing against Brisett, he looks like a good prospect, but the team got outscored 24-7 after Jimmy went down, couldn't sustain drives or keep our defense off of the field. Like I said, I like Brisett, nice prospect, but the team's chances of going 4-0 just disappeared. I doubt Belichick is welcoming this.
Unless JG could play defense that is NOTHING JB did that caused that 24-10 score after he went down (you missed a FG there). There was not a single time JB went on the field that he didn't have at least 2 first downs. THAT is not a usual situation for a rookie back up to accomplish.

No scott, the DEFENSE Was the problem in that game NOT the O

Who do we cut, then? Not sure it's worth it for two weeks -- but then again, if we need another QB, then it's the single most important personnel decision of the past year.
Cut one of Bill's special teamers that he jerks off to

Our offense under Brissett was a damn sight better than 2015 week 17.

Need a backup for Thursday, though. Julian Edelman is not that guy, and he has no problem telling you himself. Emergency 3rd QB is one thing, but outright backup is a different animal.
I understand, and normally I would agree with you, but with the short week reality, I can't envision a scenario where a QB could get in here and absorb enough information PLUS learn a new language and would be better than Julian Edelman for this ONE game.

So I can see them bringing someone in, but if JB went down, I still think JE would give you a better shot at moving the ball on Thursday than some stranger who at best will have one practice and a walk through to prepare for a game. At least Julian would be able to call the plays.

Although I would expect them to consider JE over Brissett. If he is the better option, they could go that way. I doubt it plays out like that but since he knows the system, he is technically a candidate. I can't imagine they overlook that possibility.
Not much to consider, in my opinion. Belichick refused to even discuss the possibility during the week, and Edelman was quoted today after the game as saying "there's a reason I'm a receiver and not a QB."

Anyone suggesting JE11 over Brissett only needs to look at his tape from Kent St, which by the way is at least 7-8 yrs old. They weren't exactly running our style of offense. This is nothing more than Hines Ward acting as the 3rd "emergency" QB during his days in Pittsburgh.

If you want to get him blown up on some option plays/QB scrambles then he's your guy, but I'm guessing that Belichick may feel differently. We will see soon enough.

With Cassell, Hoyer, and Mallet already on other rosters, there's no decent solution. TJ Yates?

I don't know how serious people are about Peyton, but as a reminder, he is on the Broncos reserve/retired list. They still own his rights even if he did come back. So no.

If u think brisset throws more than 20 passes per game these next two ur a moron. Bill looking to win these next 2 game 3-0

I'm surprised no one suggested 44 year old Drew Bledsoe yet. I'm not suggesting him either - I'm just surprised no one did. How times have changed around here.

c4551f099dfd4e179278863efb488cf6.jpg

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back