PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Veteran Backup QB

Status
Not open for further replies.
I heard this guy can use some money. Bankrupt, both financially and morally. Any chance we could bring him here just to run naked bootlegs the entire game?

hqdefault.jpg

Plus he is always willing to take one for the team....

I think JG will back-up JB. If Brisket gets hurt, JG gets the shot and guts it out.

If not, then JE.

because who do you cut from the Patriots' 53 who clears waivers?

We will become a *WILDCAT* offense. ;)
If JB goes down that'll be the only alternative.

Unless Bill is busy tutoring Jules on how to run a single wing offense...

I think JG will back-up JB. If Brisket gets hurt, JG gets the shot and guts it out.

If not, then JE.

because who do you cut from the Patriots' 53 who clears waivers?
Nope. Too much risk of permanently damaging JG's shoulder. Even if he's just going to be traded it erodes his market value too much.

NO IT WOULD NOT

He does not know any plays.
WORSE: He likely does not know/understand the nomenclature from the Ron Erich tree of play description so he would be worse than useless. Better have The Squirrel handoff every play. At least he'll know who and where. On the last possession he can throw the game winning TD to Dola. He's been there, done that.

I would consider Derby for backup.
Derby might be a better choice than Edelman. At least he can see over the O line.

Heck put them both in and alternate who gets to throw and who gets to catch. BoB can have fun trying to figure that out.

The problem with the Derby idea is that he wasn't good enough as a quarterback, even in COLLEGE, to hold the job.

I would be shocked if Jimmy isn't the backup at this point. They didn't even work out a qb today. It is way too late in the week to bring someone in. If jimmy gets thrown into action I would expect a conservative game plan that protects him.

I would be shocked if Jimmy isn't the backup at this point. They didn't even work out a qb today. It is way too late in the week to bring someone in. If jimmy gets thrown into action I would expect a conservative game plan that protects him.

I saw a byline saying Pats are not ruling Jimmy out of Thursday's game yet.

I saw a byline saying Pats are not ruling Jimmy out of Thursday's game yet.
Yeah I highly doubt he will start that would be a legitimate miracle. But it seems like the plan is for Jimmy to dress and back up jacoby

Yeah I highly doubt he will start that would be a legitimate miracle. But it seems like the plan is for Jimmy to dress and back up jacoby

I would actually prefer Jimmy doesn't start. If he is subpar and has a poor performance it could affect his currently high trade value.

Let's see what Jacoby's got.

The problem with the Derby idea is that he wasn't good enough as a quarterback, even in COLLEGE, to hold the job.

This shows that you do not know the story behind Derby's move from QB to LB to TE.

Derby redshirted his freshman year at Iowa in 2010. Iowa had recruited him with the idea of changing him to LB, which they did in 2011 after a Red-shirt freshman year at QB. He then transferred to Coffeyville Community College and was a QB again in 2012. Then he became a walk-on at Arkansas as a QB. He was the back-up there in 2013. It was in 2014 that he moved to TE to get more time on the field..

So, for you to say "he wasn't good enough" just doesn't hold true. Especially since he became the primary back up at Arkansas as a walk-on. You don't walk-on to a D1 school and become their primary back-up quarterback unless you have some talent.

This shows that you do not know the story behind Derby's move from QB to LB to TE.

Derby redshirted his freshman year at Iowa in 2010. Iowa had recruited him with the idea of changing him to LB, which they did in 2011 after a Red-shirt freshman year at QB. He then transferred to Coffeyville Community College and was a QB again in 2012. Then he became a walk-on at Arkansas as a QB. He was the back-up there in 2013. It was in 2014 that he moved to TE to get more time on the field..

So, for you to say "he wasn't good enough" just doesn't hold true. Especially since he became the primary back up at Arkansas as a walk-on. You don't walk-on to a D1 school and become their primary back-up quarterback unless you have some talent.

I should have said he wasn't good enough to win the starting job as a D1 quarterback. That's what I meant when I said he didn't win the job. Yes, he had been good enough to be a backup, and in very limited action he completed about 50% of his attempts.

I think we can assume that if he changed positions to get playing time, a number of other guys were deemed to be much better as QBs.

The bigger point, though, was that Julian Edelman was a very good starting QB in D1 college football, but Derby was not. That is clearly true.

I should have said he wasn't good enough to win the starting job as a D1 quarterback. That's what I meant when I said he didn't win the job. Yes, he had been good enough to be a backup, and in very limited action he completed about 50% of his attempts.

What you said and what you meant were clearly different things.
Could you name me someone who walked on to a D1 team and became their starting QB immediately?

Also, Derby's stats for his 1 start with Arkansas against Rutgers was:
19-36 (52.8%) for 178 yards (9.38YPC) with a TD.

His stats at Coffeyville were less impressive.. NJCAA

149-321 (46.4%) for 1936 yards (13.3 YPC) and and 22 TDs, 14 Ints. 6 sacks.

I think we can assume that if he changed positions to get playing time, a number of other guys were deemed to be much better as QBs.

Actually, that's an erroneous assumption. There was ONE guy ahead of him. A guy on a scholarship by the name of Brandon Allen. Allen was a Junior while Derby was a 5th year Senior.

Derby chose to make the change so he could get playing time in an attempt to have a football career after college. And you know what happened.. He performed well enough to get invited to both the East West Shrine game AND the Senior Bowl AND the Combine.

It's similar to Edelman making the switch to WR. People felt he was a better fit there.

The bigger point, though, was that Julian Edelman was a very good starting QB in D1 college football, but Derby was not. That is clearly true.

And this has nothing to do with anything you've said previously. In neither of your previous posts had you mentioned a comparison to Edelman. Your initial post was to slam Derby. This is you trying to change your narrative.

IMHO, it's better to have Derby listed as the back-up QB and allow Edelman to continue to be a weapon for the offense than it would be to have Edelman and Derby BOTH sitting on the sidelines. Edelman because he'd be the back-up and Derby because he'd be the "Emergency" QB.

What you said and what you meant were clearly different things.

No, what I said and what I meant were EXACTLY the same thing, that you misinterpreted.

When I said he wasn't good enough to win the job, the clear meaning of the words "the job" is "the starting quarterback job at a D1 college"

I strongly agree with all of the facts that you provided, because I knew them already (except for the community college stats), and yet you present them as supporting some sort of contrarian view?

Go ahead and tout his stellar 46% completion percentage at a community college as evidence that he was a capable starting college QB. You must think Tebow was a pro bowler.

No, what I said and what I meant were EXACTLY the same thing, that you misinterpreted.

You even admitted in your follow up post that what you meant and what you said were different. I didn't misinterpret anything. Otherwise why would you have said "I should have said"..

When I said he wasn't good enough to win the job, the clear meaning of the words "the job" is "the starting quarterback job at a D1 college"

And the spin continues. Winning the job and holding the job are two different things. And you are discounting the fact that he walked on to Arkansas and won the back-up job immediately, beating out two other guys there.

Go ahead and tout his stellar 46% completion percentage in junior college as evidence that he was a capable QB in college. You must think Tebow was a pro bowler.

Now you're just being a jackass and claiming I said things that I didn't. That's flat out lying. You only make yourself look like a fool by doing so. BTW, when someone says something is "less impressive" they aren't touting anything.

Clearly ARKANSAS HC Bret Bielema and the rest of the offensive staff felt that Derby was a better college FB QB than you're giving him credit for. Otherwise, they wouldn't have bothered to make him their primary back-up and wouldn't have started him against Rutgers when Brandon Allen couldn't go.

Keep on making up crap. Makes you look oh so smaht, PBPF..

If JB goes down that'll be the only alternative.

Unless Bill is busy tutoring Jules on how to run a single wing offense...
Wildcat is the fancy name for the single wing...

And this has nothing to do with anything you've said previously. In neither of your previous posts had you mentioned a comparison to Edelman. Your initial post was to slam Derby. This is you trying to change your narrative.

IMHO, it's better to have Derby listed as the back-up QB and allow Edelman to continue to be a weapon for the offense than it would be to have Edelman and Derby BOTH sitting on the sidelines. Edelman because he'd be the back-up and Derby because he'd be the "Emergency" QB.

Palm Beach Pats Fan was continuing a discussion from another thread about whether or not Edelman or Derby would be a better emergency back-up, and I was making the case for the "Edelman" camp, so let me weigh in. In the other thread, there was no attempt to disparage Derby, but rather just point out that Edelman was a far superior college QB. Really, despite his lack of height and arm strength, when you look at his college production it is surprising to me that so many teams passed on him in the draft (BB didn't, of course). But more importantly, Edelman seems like the type that knows what every player on the offense is supposed to be doing, he has a deep, deep understanding of the offense. There is no way that Derby (or any QB rental) could figure that out by the day after tomorrow. I remain convinced that Edelman could do a better job as emergency QB than Derby.

However, it is a moot point, as you (and others) have pointed out probably BB has wisely decided that Edelman is just to valuable to lose (and it looks like Derby and Hogan warmed up for the scout team), he is needed when Brady gets back. So, I guess we won't be able to see the Edelman offense. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST