PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Trent Brown, what do you think?

Status
Not open for further replies.
If Brown's reported work ethic issues are true, that could be reason not to sign him to a long term contract until the end of the season. I like the idea of a guy with his potential trying to prove himself all season to earn the next contract. The downside is, if he does play well, he could become too expensive to keep.

If he's this good, there is no 'too expensive to keep'. You look in other areas to cut. An elite left tackle doesn't show up in the draft every year, or in FA.

I am guessing it will be closer to the $15.5M APY Nate Solder got with the Giants.

It's possible that the Pats would go a bit higher for an LT who turned 25 (4/13) the day after Solder turned 30 (4/12).

Solder's contract is for four years, $35M guaranteed at signing - which includes a $16M signing bonus and his base salaries for 2018 & 2019. He has "first day" roster bonuses for 2020 ($3M) & 2021 ($4M) on top of $9.9M salaries that aren't guaranteed until week-1 each year.

Jake Matthews (age 26) signed a 5-year, $14.5M APY extension with the Falcons a couple months after Solder's deal was done. He got $26M guaranteed at signing, including a $14M signing bonus and his base salaries for 2018 & 2019. That made Matthews the 3rd highest-paid LT (by APY) behind Solder and Taylor Lewan ($16M APY), who also sign his deal after Solder's.

After them, Okung, Armstead and Trent Williams have 4-year or 5-year deals with APYs around $13M range. Okung signed in 2017. The Williams and Armstead deals were done in 2015 & 2017, respectively.

The next tier down (~$12M APY) includes Tyron Smith, Bakhtiari, Fisher and Glenn. All of those deals were for 5-years and sign in 2016, except for Smith's. The 'Boys signed Smith to an 8-year, $97.6M extension way back in 2014.

A typical Pats extension offer would land somewhere in the current 2nd-tier to 3rd-tier range. That's where Mason's extension is (relative to other starting RG APYs), and it's about where Cannon's extension landed (relative to other starting RT APYs) back when it was signed (and when he'd only been full-time starter for half a season). My guess is that the Pats would offer Brown a commensurate extension (2nd-tier for LT) as soon as Scar is sure that he's a keeper (which may have already happened). Their initial offer might go as high as $14M, just below the current 1st-tier, on a 5-year or 6-year extension.

Anyway, it's not clear how generous a rational market would be for a player with really only the one year as a proven starter at LT (assuming that he achieves that). Of course, the market isn't really rational with the Browns having a relative crap-tonne of cap space and the motivation to go for broke while Mayfield is cheap. The Jets (with Darnold) and the Colts also have the 2019 cap space to offer a ludicrous contract to Brown next spring.

If those offers are in the $15.5M+ range (and they might well be), I don't think the Pats will go there.

He's kind of immature but,I think the Pats, especially Braby, could give him the acceptance he wants. Just a thought.

Actually, I think that comes more from Bob Kraft.

Not sure how much we know about Trent Brown after one game, he had limited preseason snaps..

Game film will expose his strengths and weaknesses.. opposing teams game planning will be adjusted.

Need more evidence before any judgement can be made... stay tuned.

I've seen this meme repeated in multiple places. Where is it coming from? I watched the game and Solder in particular. He wasn't great, but he was ok. He routinely kept Ngakoue running behind the pocket. He did have trouble on 3 inside moves, including back-to-back plays to start the 4th quarter, getting flagged for holding on the final one.

Now the rest of the line...yeesh. Erik Flowers in particular was bad.

Regards,
Chris
With apologies...
Yes, retired linebackers are rarely up for playing in the OL.
Ereck Flowers, on the other hand, didn't do much either...

I've seen this meme repeated in multiple places. Where is it coming from? I watched the game and Solder in particular. He wasn't great, but he was ok. He routinely kept Ngakoue running behind the pocket. He did have trouble on 3 inside moves, including back-to-back plays to start the 4th quarter, getting flagged for holding on the final one.

Now the rest of the line...yeesh. Erik Flowers in particular was bad.

Regards,
Chris
The remarks came from the NY newspapers. Solder even admitted he did not
play very well.

With apologies...
Yes, retired linebackers are rarely up for playing in the OL.
Ereck Flowers, on the other hand, didn't do much either...
:bagonhead:

Regards,
Chris

I don't know. I think young players are in awe of Brady and the way he deals with people. I'm guessing an owner is an owner to most. Guy that writes the checks.

Several players who've been on other NFL teams have remarked about how, unlike other owners they've played for, Kraft makes a point of getting to know everyone personally and that his interest and kindness are genuine. I get the impression that, for many of them, they respect Brady and BB and have generally good relationships with them on a professional level - perhaps friendships, for guys who are around a long time - but that Kraft is special in the friendship thing.

If we somehow were gifted by the football gods, the ability to Sign brown to a long term, bellow avarage 5-6 year contract, something like we did with Cannon, and then he panned out being a top 5 tackle during that period. I could call it even on the Jimmy G. San-Fran trade.

Several players who've been on other NFL teams have remarked about how, unlike other owners they've played for, Kraft makes a point of getting to know everyone personally and that his interest and kindness are genuine. I get the impression that, for many of them, they respect Brady and BB and have generally good relationships with them on a professional level - perhaps friendships, for guys who are around a long time - but that Kraft is special in the friendship thing.

I agree on that and am a big Kraft fan, which gets you into trouble here. I just think Brady is unique, but the whole system is appealing to insecure,or troubled players. LeGarette Blount and Randy Moss for two examples. That's a lot to do with Belichick's discipline and fairness. Let's face it, we should pinch ourselves becausewe won't see an owner, coach and star QB like this again, we are blessed and I ain't religious.

I see Kraft giving the love on trent in the locker room vid. It's just a matter of his attitude and consistency. The rest is just a bunch of numbers.

Eh, consider the sources. SF drafted a tackle in the first round, and had an extra - and they needed to get rid of one, and justify it.

Also, I think it was 4 coaches he had there in his brief time (can't remember if Harbaugh left before or after the draft)
What do you mean "consider the sources"? His work ethic and motivation concerns far predate them having a surplus of tackles. This isn't a smear campaign to put a positive spin on a trade.

Besides, when a team has starting tackle with the size/potential of Brown, why are they drafting a tackle #9 overall in the first place? That in itself is an indictment on Brown. Part of it is scheme fit (San Fran runs ZBS and needs quick/agile lineman), but there were definitely major concerns about his weight management and work ethic.

Brown was an awesome acquisition, but I do feel like he's a major candidate for "Got Paid Syndrome" on a long-term contract. I suspect the team will ride him for one year and try to pick up a compensation pick at the end of the year. I think another franchise will be willing to offer more guaranteed money than we are.

What do you mean "consider the sources"? His work ethic and motivation concerns far predate them having a surplus of tackles. This isn't a smear campaign to put a positive spin on a trade.

Besides, when a team has starting tackle with the size/potential of Brown, why are they drafting a tackle #9 overall in the first place? That in itself is an indictment on Brown. Part of it is scheme fit (San Fran runs ZBS and needs quick/agile lineman), but there were definitely major concerns about his weight management and work ethic.

Brown was an awesome acquisition, but I do feel like he's a major candidate for "Got Paid Syndrome" on a long-term contract. I suspect the team will ride him for one year and try to pick up a compensation pick at the end of the year. I think another franchise will be willing to offer more guaranteed money than we are.

I agree,but contracts can be based on performance, weight etc. As long as he stays under 500 lbs. they should be all right.:p

Teams have never ****-talked a guy on the way out of town before.

As big as he is and with the lack of conditioning, he is the ideal candidate for tons of soft tissue injuries, sprained ankles, hamstrings, quads, etc.

I think we need to see more games from him before investing huge dollars in a guy that is one Milky Way from 400 pounds.

As big as he is and with the lack of conditioning, he is the ideal candidate for tons of soft tissue injuries, sprained ankles, hamstrings, quads, etc.

I think we need to see more games from him before investing huge dollars in a guy that is one Milky Way from 400 pounds.

Lucky for me that I, personally, don't need to worry about "investing huge dollars" in Trent Brown, since I only have ordinary size dollars.

Don't recall "lack of conditioning" as a knock on him. What's the evidence Dante hasn't made sure he's in good shape? Seems to me that Brown didn't run out of gas in game one.

Teams have never ****-talked a guy on the way out of town before.
Dude, this talk has been going on for years. His draft scouting profiles cites these same concerns. Take of your Patriots-tinted blinders and call a spade a spade; some of the spins and damage control in this topic are ridiculous.

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
Back