PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Trent Brown, what do you think?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't recall "lack of conditioning" as a knock on him. What's the evidence Dante hasn't made sure he's in good shape? Seems to me that Brown didn't run out of gas in game one.
From his 2014 draft profile:

Has stiff knees and butt rides high pre-snap in stance. Will take poor angles when teams try him in the gaps. If beaten, doesn't have the athleticism to recover. Power-only player and limits what an offense can do. Scouts call him an "inconsistent worker." Needs players to be squared up and will struggle when they get to his edge. Played just 43 percent of the snaps during 2014 season due to injury and conditioning issues.

BOTTOM LINE
Brown has the pure size to block out the sun, and unlike some players with his bulk, he knows how to use it. He can plow holes as a run blocker, but can only play right guard in a power scheme. His lack of playing experience and conditioning concerns could hurt his draft stock.

From last spring, in an article recounting the Niners decision to draft a tackle at #9 overall:

But perhaps the biggest issue with Brown is that he reportedly came to Mini Camp overweight and out of shape. His conditioning issues are no secret and if he’s showing up like this in a contract year, that doesn’t bode well for his chances of being a part of the long-term plans of the 49ers.

Unless you are insinuating that perhaps conditioning hasn't been an issue since he came to NE?

Has stiff knees and butt rides high pre-snap in stance. Will take poor angles when teams try him in the gaps. If beaten, doesn't have the athleticism to recover. Power-only player and limits what an offense can do. Scouts call him an "inconsistent worker." Needs players to be squared up and will struggle when they get to his edge. Played just 43 percent of the snaps during 2014 season due to injury and conditioning issues.

BOTTOM LINE
Brown has the pure size to block out the sun, and unlike some players with his bulk, he knows how to use it. He can plow holes as a run blocker, but can only play right guard in a power scheme. His lack of playing experience and conditioning concerns could hurt his draft stock.

From last spring, in an article recounting the Niners decision to draft a tackle at #9 overall:

But perhaps the biggest issue with Brown is that he reportedly came to Mini Camp overweight and out of shape. His conditioning issues are no secret and if he’s showing up like this in a contract year, that doesn’t bode well for his chances of being a part of the long-term plans of the 49ers.

Unless you are insinuating that perhaps conditioning hasn't been an issue since he came to NE?

He actually has his weight down in NE, but conditioning is often an issue with guys that big and I'm sure they wouldn't have handed a starting left tackle to us for a 3 if they didn't have concerns.

As for the combine, he wasn't drafted until the seventh round and has improved in the pros, as we saw against Houston. He seems to be kind of immature and not really a commanding presence, so I imagine his "buying in" to the team ethic and discipline will be determining factor. Sky's the limit athletically, if he gets disciplined and improves IMO.

Not insinuating anything. I'm flat-out asking for current evidence to support your allegations, instead of ancient history.

Trent Brown, what do I think?

I think he won't be nearly the problem re-signing as many of his fanboys believe he will be.

Last week: excellent

This week: not so great

not exactly spotting a trend though since the same can be said of the entire team

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News