PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Trent Brown, what do you think?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I heard on the all 22 that Greg Bedard already thinks that Brown if anything is an upgrade over Solder.

Interesting how we trade JG to San Fran for 2nd rounder (which was considered a steal for JG and a mistake by the NEP etc etc) then 6 months later we get one of the best young tackles in the NFL from San Fran and move down 48 spots in the draft to get him.

Brown is cheap this year as he is on his last year of his rookie deal and his going to cost some bucks to sign.

He looked great on the DVR last night...but likely will be susceptible to quick edge rushers though....

He had a great game against nasty Texans pass rushers especially Clowney.As I remember well he was in a trouble only once being under Clowney's pressure. However as a big body he might struggle with smaller but athletic and agile rushers.

I feel amazingly better about the loss of Solder now with the way Brown is looking

Double edged sword tho, because if he keeps performing at this level and pancaking all pros like Clowney, he's going to get a contract bigger than Solder next year

Still a great short term solution, really pleased with how hes worked out... would have loved to see Wynn in the fold as well, but oh well

Does anyone think San Fran could have gotten more for him but did the pats a solid for giving them JG for a 2nd?
I frankly wouldn't be surprised to learn it was (unofficially, of course) in fact part of the same agreement. IIRC, releasing Hoyer (versus including him in the trade) was already doing us a solid.

Does anyone think San Fran could have gotten more for him but did the pats a solid for giving them JG for a 2nd?
How many teams do you think valued him as a starting left tackle? He wasn’t going to be that in SF, and the other team involved in rumors (Denver) is set there too. The Patriots got a good deal because they correctly predicted that a guy valued as a right tackle could actually play left tackle.

I am guessing it will be closer to the $15.5M APY Nate Solder got with the Giants.
If Brown plays like that for the rest of his Patriots tenure, given his age, I have no problem with a big money, long-term extension.

It's a crying shame about Wynn because I'm feeling as bullish as I ever have towards the Patriots OL.

If Brown's reported work ethic issues are true, that could be reason not to sign him to a long term contract until the end of the season. I like the idea of a guy with his potential trying to prove himself all season to earn the next contract. The downside is, if he does play well, he could become too expensive to keep.

Kraft liked what he saw

giphy.gif

We should get a better idea on Sunday. Solder had a poor game against
the Jaguars.

We should get a better idea on Sunday. Solder had a poor game against
the Jaguars.
I've seen this meme repeated in multiple places. Where is it coming from? I watched the game and Solder in particular. He wasn't great, but he was ok. He routinely kept Ngakoue running behind the pocket. He did have trouble on 3 inside moves, including back-to-back plays to start the 4th quarter, getting flagged for holding on the final one.

Now the rest of the line...yeesh. Erik Flowers in particular was bad.

Regards,
Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill