PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Trent Brown, what do you think?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Brown is a UFA next year, so will be interesting to see how the Pats handle it.. pretty confident that they do not want to develop another LT next year if he plays up to expectations..

Brown is a UFA next year, so will be interesting to see how the Pats handle it.. pretty confident that they do not want to develop another LT next year if he plays up to expectations..

He's only 25. If the guy Sunday is the guy we have, he could be a cornerstone for 10 years. Signing the beast sooner rather than later only makes sense, because like I said, the price tag will go up every week, if he keeps playing like this.

The problem with allowing Brown to walk in FA next spring is that it would happen in March. While Wynn may have begun working out again by that point, it seems unlikely to me that the Pats would have any certainty about Wynn's ability to be the starting LT for Wk-1 yet - if that was ever their plan to begin with.

From the little I've seen of Wynn with the Pats, augmented by college tape and media reports (taken with a grain of salt), it appears that Wynn is likely to be a starting caliber OL, if/when he's recovered from the Achilles injury. And he appears to have considerable positional versatility - IOW, he's not locked in at LT, and he might be a replacement for either Thuney or Cannon, ultimately.

Thuney's rookie deal runs out at the end of 2019. It seems to me that he's been at least adequate, most of the time, but Wynn may be an upgrade.

Cannon has been a very good starting RT for the Pats since he assumed the role in mid-2015 - when he's been healthy. From 2012 through 2016, Cannon only missed 7 games due to injury Then, he missed 9 games in 2017 with an ankle injury, and most of 2018 Camp with an apparent calf issue. It's not really possible for us to be certain if this has been merely a run of bad luck, or if it's the beginning of a trend. Cannon turned 30 in early May, which means he'll be 33 going into his contract year of 2021 (which is also Wynn's contract year).

To complete the OL contract picture ...
-- Andrews' second contract expires at the end of 2020
-- Mason is now signed through 2023

-- Karras appears to have become the primary backup for the IOL. His rookie deal also expires at the end of 2019.
-- Schwenke also seems to be a capable IOL backup, but he's FA at the end of this season.
-- Waddle, who's been mostly adequate as a sub at RT, is also FA at the end of this season ... and the Pats really don't seem to have another OT backup at the moment, certainly not anyone of long-term starting caliber.

Give the Pats' typical draft slot, they really don't get a shot at starting caliber tackle prospects every year. Even if the 2019 draft class for tackles is strong, the chances of one falling to the Pats may still be fairly slim. Even then, a very good draftee may not be ready to start until 2020.

Given all the above considerations, I think it would be in the Pats best interest to attempt to extend Brown as soon as they're certain about him.

There are currently 10 LTs under contracts paying a nominal APY of $12M or higher. Mason's new nominal APY is $9M, which ranks him 9th among RG and 11th among Guards overall. In 2016, when Cannon signed his current deal, his cap hit was 4th-highest among RTs, but his nominal APY ($6.5M) is now 10th highest among RTs.

Brown's current salary/cap hit is $1.907M. That's the same as Mason was making for 2018 before signing his 5-year extension - which increased his 2018 cap hit by $1.5M. Assuming that the Pats see Brown as their long-term LT, an offer of five years at $11.5M-$12.5M seems reasonable. If his agent wants to hold out for significantly more than that, it would create a problem.

To the Nate Solder contact right now? That’s at least what it’ll take if Brown has 15 more games like that one, so it’s probably about what it would take to sign him right now.
Giving Brown a big contract scares me a little because he has a history of laziness.

The real test comes this weekend vs. Ngakoue. He looked stout at the point of attack, though.
Totally agree. If it's a repeat of Sunday, then I'm actually for real going to jump on the bandwagon.

Giving Brown a big contract scares me a little because he has a history of laziness.
Eh, consider the sources. SF drafted a tackle in the first round, and had an extra - and they needed to get rid of one, and justify it.

Also, I think it was 4 coaches he had there in his brief time (can't remember if Harbaugh left before or after the draft)

I see Isaiah Wynn as a long term replacement for Cannon, not Brown. If the team moves on from Cannon because of age and his injury history, then we can easily move Trent Brown to RT (his original position anyways) and then play Wynn as LT. Only bad thing is that supposedly Brown was a bad run blocker in SF and has shown up to camp out of shape. Maybe Trent Brown is working hard because it is contract year for him, but I'm okay with signing him to a long term contract if he can maintain his level of play this season.

Wynn as a LT scares me because of his size, not every smaller LT turns out to be Joe Thomas, but hey we did draft him in the first round.

Love the guy. Keep it up Trent

Last edited:
Loved what I saw in week 1, but with any guy like that who's a physical specimen with some question marks, I want to see how good DC's choose to attack him down the line. Eventually a weakness will be exposed, and teams (who have the right kind of guys) will try to exploit it. How he and Dante adjust to that will be the final determination on him this year.

I'm tickled to death with how he played Sunday.

I don't have a sense for how well he did in the run game. Seemed ok?

Before I'm all in for an extension, lets see how he does vs elite pass rushers.

Unless a LT simply whiffs on his blocks, I think Brady could make most LTs look good. But that's the thing: Brady IS the QB so if you don't whiff on your blocks, you're doing your job. Brown did his job. Let's hope he keeps it up.

Regards,
Chris

At one point Clowney was wincing on the sideline. Boy got his butt whupped by Brown. He looks like the Predator.

Extending Brown would set up the line for a few years. Wynn would share time with Cannon in 2019, would be the backup/replacement for Thuney, and be the backup to Brown.

Honestly, if Brown continues this performance over the next few weeks, I say we should lock him up ASAP before his market blows up. Teams are shelling out huge amounts of cash for LT’s these days.

I think we were very fortunate to be able to land him the way we did. You just don’t see guys like him become available very often.

"He's the best right tackle in the National Football League! And he may even be a top-five tackle, period, in the National Football League. There’s not another tackle who’s that tall, that big and can move the way he moves.”

-Von Miller on Trent Brown. Enough said.

I have decided to not get attached to him, avoiding to watch how he is performing.

He is gone next year, folks

If I know this board the general tone will be skeptical (he hasn’t proved himself HERE) up until he allows a sack and then he will
suck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft