PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Trade up now or wait

There could be a bidding war between Pats and CAR for #4. Who will ATL trade with? Will they trade down just to #8 plus some future #1s? Or will they trade with [28-3]?

I’m not a draftnik so take it FWIW, but I heard someone here say that next year’s draft class looks weaker at QB than this year. And we shouldn’t expect this Pats team to be able to draft near the top next year without a trade. So if there’s a time to pounce it is now, otherwise they’ll be back in the same predicament next year.

I don’t think Bill is trading up, if he does, it won’t be for a QB cause I’m assuming 3 will be gone with the first 3 picks. Maybe he moves up for a stud LB but I think he stays put at 15 and takes the bpa.

It's only worth making the move if Belichick absolutely loves Fields AND Lance. That is your only no lose scenario.

This trade is a major shakeup. I (and many people) had Carolina trading to #3. Now, with Atlanta holding #4, the Panthers look to be shut out entirely. The most recent rumor has Carolina liking Jones, but seeing him as an outside the top 20 value. Maybe the Panthers look to move down?

I'd keep my eye on Denver to make a move on the 4th pick. I suspect Elway is getting desperate enough to throw out a future first to get his guy.

Personally, I think the team is waiting out an opportunity to pounce on a veteran. I forsee a long-term game of chicken with the Niners over Garoppolo. He's untradable at his current contract, and seems to be viewed as a 3rd tier option by most other teams. He's getting cut at come point, though that point might be a year away. I also think Watson is a dark horse. He's similarly untradable. A situation in which the Houston organization decides it can't handle any more bad press and cuts him, only for him to be ultimately acquitted, isn't unprecedented

With the Niners moving up to #3, I say now is the time to move up to #4 *if* we think one of Wilson/Fields/Lance is a FRANCHISE QB.
I don't think we can move up now to #4...there is no guarantee who is going to be available and which qb Bill likes the best. What if he really loves Lance and he goes number 3, we move all that way up to not get our guy...too much of a risk...we're going to have to give up probably three number 1's to move up, can't take that chance unless we know for certain our guy is there.

I don't think we can move up now to #4...there is no guarantee who is going to be available and which qb Bill likes the best. What if he really loves Lance and he goes number 3, we move all that way up to not get our guy...too much of a risk...we're going to have to give up probably three number 1's to move up, can't take that chance unless we know for certain our guy is there.
This. You tell 'em Ash.

Yup. You have to be equally comfortable with the top 4 QBs to do that. Or at least be comfortable with the worst of the four.

Yup. You have to be equally comfortable with the top 4 QBs to do that. Or at least be comfortable with the worst of the four.
Knowing how Bill likes his draft day capital, I would think he will wait and see how this all shakes out.

Now as soon as I say that, Shefty announces they make a deal, just watch.

I don't see Bill doing that at all.

Personally, I think the team is waiting out an opportunity to pounce on a veteran. I forsee a long-term game of chicken with the Niners over Garoppolo. He's untradable at his current contract, and seems to be viewed as a 3rd tier option by most other teams. He's getting cut at come point, though that point might be a year away. I also think Watson is a dark horse. He's similarly untradable. A situation in which the Houston organization decides it can't handle any more bad press and cuts him, only for him to be ultimately acquitted, isn't unprecedented
That might well be true, but that's not going to get resolved anytime soon, and signing him would be a grave insult to Myra Kraft's memory.

if Bill was going to move up, number 3 would have made the most sense unless he really loved Wilson.

It really is playing out that the top four qbs are gone straight away. interesting times. Does Bill bring sicknote home and draft Trask or Mond in the 2nd?

Well market has been set. Are any of these guys after Lawrence worth 3 1st rounders and then some? Hard to imagine that, too risky imo

If the Pats move up they’ll only have the choice for the 4th QB. A lot harder to justify.

It would have to be a draft day deal. You do the groundwork ahead of time. But if your guy is gone in the top three picks, there's no way you expend a lot of capital to move up. For example if BB believes that Fields can be the #1 guy for the Pats and the draft goes Lawrence, Fields, Wilson.... why would you move up to #4?

That is why I prefaced my comment with *if they THINK Fields/Lance/Wilson are all franchise QB's*.....basically if they like em' all, then they should move up to #4.

In any case, I am starting to think Lance will slide.....the guy has only played 1 game in the last 12 months....not sure if he's worth a top 10 pick without the combine, a lot of recent game tape, extensive in-person interviews, and the fact he's coming from division 2 competition....I am starting to think teams have it as: Lawrence, Wilson, Jones, Fields, and Lance...in that order.....we might only have to move up to #12 or something....maybe we should lay down the ground work for a deal with the Eagles....

I don’t think Bill is trading up, if he does, it won’t be for a QB cause I’m assuming 3 will be gone with the first 3 picks. Maybe he moves up for a stud LB but I think he stays put at 15 and takes the bpa.
I have a hard time believing he would be aggressive in free agency just to bring back cam

I have a hard time believing he would be aggressive in free agency just to bring back cam
Assuming the first 3 picks in the draft all go for QBs, which qb is worth giving up tons of draft capitol to trade up for?

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Back