PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Trade a 2nd For Jimmy Now; This is Not a Long Term Commitment

You are ignoring the fact that they traded 3 #1s plus a 3 for that qb, so they will find out if he sucks by him starting and he will surely be starting at least at some point in 2021. That means they are spending 26 million on a lame duck QB. Saving 26 million and getting a 2nd or 3rd is far better than wasting 26 million.
Yeah it's possible he starts. But I tend to think if JG plays well (which he very well could do) they are going to roll with JG and then figure out what to do with the QBs after the season. If JG has any issues I can definitely see the rookie getting in there if they think he is ready. The problem is all of this does not add up to JG being traded before the season. At least not as I see it.

Yeah it's possible he starts. But I tend to think if JG plays well (which he very well could do) they are going to roll with JG and then figure out what to do with the QBs after the season. If JG has any issues I can definitely see the rookie getting in there if they think he is ready. The problem is all of this does not add up to JG being traded before the season. At least not as I see it.
The rookie will start at some point in 2021. There is no chance they traded 3 1s plus to sit him for a year.
26 mill is a lot of money for a placeholder. They can find a different one a lot cheaper.

You are ignoring the fact that they traded 3 #1s plus a 3 for that qb, so they will find out if he sucks by him starting and he will surely be starting at least at some point in 2021. That means they are spending 26 million on a lame duck QB. Saving 26 million and getting a 2nd or 3rd is far better than wasting 26 million.
sure, as long as they have no interest in 2021. Surely, they have a better chance to go deep in the playoffs if they have Jimmy; ditto for the patriots.

The rookie will start at some point in 2021. There is no chance they traded 3 1s plus to sit him for a year.
26 mill is a lot of money for a placeholder. They can find a different one a lot cheaper.
Its not unheard of. Favre/Rogers for starters. 1st round picks have sat behind good starters before. If I am the 49ers and JG is playing very good I am not sure I feel the need to start the rookie. Plus I imagine it a lot will depend on how the rookie looks in training as well. Like Mahomes behind Smith. It's obvious they got a good feel for Mahomes and felt fine trading away a reasonably solid game manager QB.

I just don't know that I think Fields will be that impressive once he is in the organization. Some of these 1st round QB picks are going to be busts. Lawrence and Wilson will likely not be busts but it would not be unusual if all the others are, or at least two of them. One or two of the teams picking top 5 QBs are going to get duds. Maybe even more.

I guess we will have to wait and see who has what.

Its not unheard of. Favre/Rogers for starters. 1st round picks have sat behind good starters before. If I am the 49ers and JG is playing very good I am not sure I feel the need to start the rookie. Plus I imagine it a lot will depend on how the rookie looks in training as well. Like Mahomes behind Smith. It's obvious they got a good feel for Mahomes and felt fine trading away a reasonably solid game manager QB.

I just don't know that I think Fields will be that impressive once he is in the organization. Some of these 1st round QB picks are going to be busts. Lawrence and Wilson will likely not be busts but it would not be unusual if all the others are, or at least two of them. One or two of the teams picking top 5 QBs are going to get duds. Maybe even more.

I guess we will have to wait and see who has what.
The packers have Brett Favre playing at an elite level and did not trade 3 1s for Rodgers.
Are you really suggesting they would trade 3 1s and more and aren’t going to have the team over to the guy? No way.
If Jimmy were cheap, no reason not to keep him but 26 mill is the most important part of this.

I think the plan should be fairly straight-forward.

1. Trade a 2nd, or a player + a 3rd, for Jimmy and extend him to lower his cap hit. Draft Mond/Mills/Trask/etc in the 2nd (use the 4th's to trade up if need be)
2. If SF won't budge, trade a 4th for Minshew. Draft Mond/Mills/Trask/etc in the 2nd.

In either scenario - let Cam compete and show what he's got. Figure out what you want to do by camp. Downside is you've got 4 QBs you may want to carry. But Bill's done it before. I'd expect one guy to get cut though while red-shirting the rookie.

sure, as long as they have no interest in 2021. Surely, they have a better chance to go deep in the playoffs if they have Jimmy; ditto for the patriots.
Their interest in 2021 is handing the team to the guy they just traded a bonanza for.
Keeping Jimmy as a hedge has value, but not 26 million of value.

1. Trade a 2nd, or a player + a 3rd, for Jimmy and extend him to lower his cap hit. Draft Mond/Mills/Trask/etc in the 2nd (use the 4th's to trade up if need be)
2. If SF won't budge, trade a 4th for Minshew. Draft Mond/Mills/Trask/etc in the 2nd.

In either scenario - let Cam compete and show what he's got. Figure out what you want to do by camp. Downside is you've got 4 QBs you may want to carry. But Bill's done it before. I'd expect one guy to get cut though while red-shirting the rookie.
Drafting a qb in the second is a waste of time.
Need to draft a qb in the first.
If we end up with IRoppolo on a long term contract, Newton as a backup and a pick wasted on a bust this situation has been totally mismanaged.

The packers have Brett Favre playing at an elite level and did not trade 3 1s for Rodgers.
Are you really suggesting they would trade 3 1s and more and aren’t going to have the team over to the guy? No way.
If Jimmy were cheap, no reason not to keep him but 26 mill is the most important part of this.
But financially they were in a similar situation. It was mentioned that financially it makes no sense, but plenty of teams draft 1st round QBs with good veteran QBs on the team already. It is somewhat expensive but its better to have that continuity already in place. In other words its a good problem to have, a good veteran QB and a good 1st round draft pick in the waiting.

I am not sure you always need to start a 1st round pick the first season. I know some feel that way. But if you are in a position where you don't have to and can evaluate the new QB a bit more that is even better. I don't doubt that JG's salary is a negative against him but I don't know that it lowers his value to that of a single 2nd round pick.

It's obvious SF is not happy with JG's injuries, but it remains to be seen if they are getting a stud QB or not in the draft. If I am the 49ers I am going to wait and see how it plays out. Trading away JG and watching him perform at a top level elsewhere and ending up with a dud of a draft pick in his place would burn bad.

Not saying that they won't trade JG but I think they have some reasons to hold onto him for a season even with his price tag.

But financially they were in a similar situation. It was mentioned that financially it makes no sense, but plenty of teams draft 1st round QBs with good veteran QBs on the team already. It is somewhat expensive but its better to have that continuity already in place. In other words its a good problem to have, a good veteran QB and a good 1st round draft pick in the waiting.
[/QUOTE]
Not trading 3 1s
I am not sure you always need to start a 1st round pick the first season. I know some feel that way. But if you are in a position where you don't have to and can evaluate the new QB a bit more that is even better. I don't doubt that JG's salary is a negative against him but I don't know that it lowers his value to that of a single 2nd round pick.
His injury prone history is what reduces his value to a 2 or 3.
It's obvious SF is not happy with JG's injuries, but it remains to be seen if they are getting a stud QB or not in the draft. If I am the 49ers I am going to wait and see how it plays out. Trading away JG and watching him perform at a top level elsewhere and ending up with a dud of a draft pick in his place would burn bad.
If they weren’t done with Jimmy they wouldn’t have traded 3 1s to replace him.
Not saying that they won't trade JG but I think they have some reasons to hold onto him for a season even with his price tag.
If he was being paid like a backup that would make sense but at 26 million, no way

I honestly like Minshew. He may be a bust, but there is some potential for a decent upside too. With Cam on board and if there are no other QB prospects, Minshew might not be bad to try out. If he can't hack it, keep him as a backup and go work on the QB position again for 2022.

Not trading 3 1s

If he was being paid like a backup that would make sense but at 26 million, no way
[/QUOTE]
But he is not going to be a backup. All signs point to that not being the case. Thus far anyways. The new guy usually redshirts it a season. I get people like to see 1st round draft picks start immediately. But for a QB its usually not the worst thing to do to ease him into it. JG simply is not a back up QB. He is now either a starter or injured. I appreciate that its a unique dilemma but if I am in win now mode I'd go for JG this season unless this new guy is lights out good.

There is no guarantee the QB SF gets will be that good. I don't trust any of the QB's in the draft beyond Lawrence and Wilson and even Wilson might not pan out. Someone is picking a stinker out of the top 4-5 QBs in the draft that is for certain. It happens every year.

Drafting a qb in the second is a waste of time.
Need to draft a qb in the first.
If we end up with IRoppolo on a long term contract, Newton as a backup and a pick wasted on a bust this situation has been totally mismanaged.
It seems that you are saying that if we have Jimmy and Cam as backup, we shouldn't bother drafting a 2022-2024 backup to Jimmy.

Supposing that we want Jimmy, I don't see the mismanagement, other than the fact that the backup/insurance chosen for $5M wasn't your choice.

Last edited:
Not trading 3 1s

But he is not going to be a backup. All signs point to that not being the case. Thus far anyways. The new guy usually redshirts it a season. I get people like to see 1st round draft picks start immediately. But for a QB its usually not the worst thing to do to ease him into it. JG simply is not a back up QB. He is now either a starter or injured. I appreciate that its a unique dilemma but if I am in win now mode I'd go for JG this season unless this new guy is lights out good.

There is no guarantee the QB SF gets will be that good. I don't trust any of the QB's in the draft beyond Lawrence and Wilson and even Wilson might not pan out. Someone is picking a stinker out of the top 4-5 QBs in the draft that is for certain. It happens every year.
[/QUOTE]

Great post, and I mean, Lawrence might not turn out for that matter. I am not sure if what the niners are saying is a smoke screen or if they truly covet a QB they would barely trust to throw the ball in the playoffs. Couple that with his inability to stay healthy and you have a QB that is not worth a first. Its hard to get teams to bite giving up a first when you give up 3 1's to draft his replacement.

Goodbye Jimmy, good luck wherever you land. We ain't giving up a first round PLUS 50 Mill on the books.
Go Draft or bust now.

I'd go for it. I think Jimmy can get it done. I am sure many do not thinks so. But man is it tempting.

Claiming Garapolo is worth a 1st rounder is something I’d expect from a 49er fan that has his/her hopes up. I’d ask those same fans point blank, would you give a first for him?

Bottom line, he’s damaged. He blew his acl out in year one over there and hasn’t been the same since. It happens, see RG3. Some players just don’t come back the same and lose their tendency and lack of fear to move outside the pocket.

I like him for a 2nd or 3rd. If they give up a 1st I’ll be quite upset.
Comparing Jimmy G to Shanahan destroying RG3's career is a little absurd. RG3 had no right being on the field for the playoff game with his knee being held together by hopes and prayers.

RG3 was playing on sprained ligaments the team doc was reportedly "worried sick over reinjuring," then completely tore his lcl and acl. He had no right being on the field. Example 1A in why players can't trust coaches or team docs, and why coaches and team docs need to protect players from themselves.

Playing through a bad non-throwing shoulder? No big deal (cough, Jimmy, cough). Playing through a destabilized knee as a rookie, mobile qb? No wonder Shannie bailed from the league after that. If I'm a player, I would never trust a single thing out of his, nor any team doc's mouth. You'd have to be borderline brain dead to come to any other conclusion.

Doubtful. Likely the settle for a second before or on the draft.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Back