PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NFL GAME DAY DISCUSSION Thursday Night Football: HOU at KC - Who Ya Got? and Game Discussion

I was wondering how I'd respond to an NYFL game now. In the past I'd be all fired up to see the first game, Pats or not. I'd also have game pass and watch as many games as I had time to watch, which is plenty since I'm retired. I'd also be running through all the stats from last year, trying to get a feel for the teams this year.

Now, I think I can say it all with a song...

You want to know what scares me the most about last night? The Chiefs played like the Patriots. Short ball, high percentage throws, didn’t consistently rely on big flashy plays, established the run, etc. They didn’t unload like they sometimes do. Mahomes just kept making the correct high percentage decision ever time with few mistakes. That’s dangerous. Especially when they are talented to totally flip the script in the 4th and just kill you.

Thus is also why drafting is everything. Mahomes, Hill, Kelce, Edwards-Helaire are all drafted talents. Watkins was the only guy they had to catch in a good free agency move.

The sad thing is Mahomes was the only one we weren’t in a position to draft (Kelce round 3, Hill round 5, Edwards-Helaire was 32nd overall we chose to trade out for another D2 defensive back)

I will never believe that, unless BB retired and nobody told me.
He couldn’t bear them last year and the year before we needed Brady to go ballistic at the end to beat them regardless of how well our defense played. Our defense took a massive hit this off season. We don’t have a playmaker like Gronk, and Edelman is one year older.

I did not watch. KC is a dooshbag team.

Checked the boxscore and low and behold Watson fell short.

Pretty boring game overall. Boy am I happy I only watched the condensed version instead of the full thing.

You gotta love Reid's offensive designs. He should get into the HoF as a coach just for that. Great stuff.

Apart from that there is not much to take from one game. Maybe KC has a running game this year, or maybe the Texans just suck against the run. And so on..

It will take 2-3 games until we see trends forming to get an idea whats up.

Also **** those hickster Chiefs fans for booing their own players and the Texans during what was meant as a moment of unity. Fcuk you all. I hope you hit your shins repeatedly into very sharp edges.

Last edited:
Not impressed with the Texans. After yesterday's game I think the Bills have a tougher schedule than us. They play the Titans who I believe are the better team than HOU. And the Steelers who have one of the best defenses in the NFL.

What a stress free year. We stand zero chance against KC. Just sit back and enjoy the year.

As long as Belichick is here we have a chance.

The Patriots and their inferior offense wasn't that far off from beating them last year. Officiating didn't help either.

You want to know what scares me the most about last night? The Chiefs played like the Patriots. Short ball, high percentage throws, didn’t consistently rely on big flashy plays, established the run, etc. They didn’t unload like they sometimes do. Mahomes just kept making the correct high percentage decision ever time with few mistakes. That’s dangerous. Especially when they are talented to totally flip the script in the 4th and just kill you.

Thus is also why drafting is everything. Mahomes, Hill, Kelce, Edwards-Helaire are all drafted talents. Watkins was the only guy they had to catch in a good free agency move.

The sad thing is Mahomes was the only one we weren’t in a position to draft (Kelce round 3, Hill round 5, Edwards-Helaire was 32nd overall we chose to trade out for another D2 defensive back)
Another thing like the Patriots, Mahomes gets rid of the ball SO FAST, like Brady used to. It's almost indefensible. 1-2-3 throw, sometimes it's 1-2 throw. He makes it look so easy. I definitely feel they have a chance to repeat, they have to be the favorites to win the SB by a mile. Not basing this on just last night, it's just that their offense is unstoppable, they can be behind for 3 quarters, and they'll put 21 points up on you in the 4th. It' been that way since the 2018 season.

Another thing like the Patriots, Mahomes gets rid of the ball SO FAST, like Brady used to. It's almost indefensible. 1-2-3 throw, sometimes it's 1-2 throw. He makes it look so easy. I definitely feel they have a chance to repeat, they have to be the favorites to win the SB by a mile. Not basing this on just last night, it's just that their offense is unstoppable, they can be behind for 3 quarters, and they'll put 21 points up on you in the 4th. It' been that way since the 2018 season.

As usual the key is to consume clock with a good running game and converting 3rd down.

David Johnson: 80 yards, 1 TD this season

DeAndre Hopkins: 0 yards, 0 TD this season

The Texans clearly won the trade..

He couldn’t bear them last year and the year before we needed Brady to go ballistic at the end to beat them regardless of how well our defense played. Our defense took a massive hit this off season. We don’t have a playmaker like Gronk, and Edelman is one year older.
The original post was about not having a chance against the Chiefs. Brady or not, I fully trust BB to game plan specifically for a big game like that and, even if the Pats were to ultimately lose that game, it wouldn't be by a wide margin. So what happens overall in a season was not the context of my reply.

You really can't win on Patsfans. You say something good about Bill, someone hits you with a Brady comment. You say something good about Brady, someone hits you with a BB comment. I don't want to be dragged into that meaningless discussion. They both played a part in the 20 years masterfully and I love them both.

You need an offense to beat the chiefs and the right personnel on defense to challenge their wideouts. I still don’t trust lamar and the ravens.

That was by design. Houston knew they couldn’t match up with KC in man. They learned that the hard way in the playoffs last year. They were playing strict Cover-3/Cover-4 and their corners were almost always taking outside shade. That’s why you didn’t see the Chiefs rip their usual 9-route at some point and Hill was relatively quiet. The Texans essentially chose to die by 1,000 paper cuts instead of a bullet to the head. They won’t be the only team to make that choice. They tried to disguise it, but Mahomes is (unfortunately) better at reading defenses than he was in 2018 when Reid was still doing a lot of the thinking for him. It’ll take a damn near complete defense to stop them and then you have to worry about CEH, who fits like a glove in that offense. Drop two safeties deep and he can gash you. Bring a safety up to the LoS and go Cover-1 or even Cover-0 and they’ll burn you deep as long as the protection holds up. If we didn’t have Hightower and Chung opting out, I’d like our defense’s chances to slow them down. Without them, that’s likely going to be an L.

The original post was about being blown out by the Chiefs. Brady or not, I fully trust BB to game plan specifically for a big game like that and, even if the Pats were to ultimately lose that game, it wouldn't be a blow out. So what happens overall in a season was not the context of my reply.

You really can't win on Patsfans. You say something good about Bill, someone hits you with a Brady comment. You say something good about Brady, someone hits you with a BB comment. I don't want to be dragged into that meaningless discussion. They both played a part in the 20 years masterfully and I love them both.

Meh it’s so much you can do. They have the personnel in the backfield but i still have question marks upfront at tackle and we don’t know how the LBs will perform. Our wr unit won’t scare much teams. At this moment chefs win by two tds.

Meh it’s so much you can do. They have the personnel in the backfield but i still have question marks upfront at tackle and we don’t know how the LBs will perform. Our wr unit won’t scare much teams. At this moment chefs win by two tds.
I respect your opinion. I just don't agree. For one game, I think nobody matches personnel to scheme better than BB. We have 20 years of experience watching BB pull rabbits out of his hat in high stakes games.

That was by design. Houston knew they couldn’t match up with KC in man. They learned that the hard way in the playoffs last year. They were playing strict Cover-3/Cover-4 and their corners were almost always taking outside shade. That’s why you didn’t see the Chiefs rip their usual 9-route at some point and Hill was relatively quiet. The Texans essentially chose to die by 1,000 paper cuts instead of a bullet to the head. They won’t be the only team to make that choice. They tried to disguise it, but Mahomes is (unfortunately) better at reading defenses than he was in 2018 when Reid was still doing a lot of the thinking for him. It’ll take a damn near complete defense to stop them and then you have to worry about CEH, who fits like a glove in that offense. Drop two safeties deep and he can gash you. Bring a safety up to the LoS and go Cover-1 or even Cover-0 and they’ll burn you deep as long as the protection holds up. If we didn’t have Hightower and Chung opting out, I’d like our defense’s chances to slow them down. Without them, that’s likely going to be an L.

What about the d-line? Still question marks especially tackle. You need to put up points against them. We don’t have that personnel offensively.

I respect your opinion. I just don't agree. For one game, I think nobody matches personnel to scheme better than BB.

You still need talent despite BB being a great scheme guy.

What about the d-line? Still question marks especially tackle. You need to put up points against them. We don’t have that personnel offensively.

DT is definitely a question mark. It has been for some time now.

Not sure if this has already been posted but the win was costly:

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down
Back