PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Thoughts on the Defensive Line

Status
Not open for further replies.

JayNM

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Who's excited for the new season? I am, we all need distractions bc the world is a stinky poo-poo

While we've been talking a lot about Cam and the WR group, Id like to take a look on our D-Line. Our players are:

DT1 Lawrence Guy; DT2 Adam Butler; DT3 Beau Allen; DT4 Byron Cowart

So, Guy is a stud bc he is so consistent, but after him, Butler is a decent rusher, but a not a good run stopper. Allen supposedly is, but I need to see him on the field to put some opinons on him and then we have a quasi-Rookie.

Now, if we agree that we are relying a lot of unproven talent in the LBs, here, I really see a very low ceiling overall, barring Cowart's emergence.

We all know that the trenches battle is where games are decided. Whatchu guys think? Honestly this fears me more than anything on Offense

It is a point of weakness, IMO. And it could bite NE in the butt.

Even Guy, who is steady and reliable, isn’t striking fear in the opposing runners/OLs. Add to that a potentially down year at LB + an excellent secondary, and we could be looking at lotsa yards run against the Patriots.

In the three days of practice I got to see, our defensive line was pushed around by the offensive line and had issues rushing the passer.

butler was handled easily by frodholtz one on one on running plays.

This has to be one of the biggest surprises to me in terms of roster rebuilding (along with WR obviously). There have been many opportunities where BB could have signed relatively inexpensive upgrades at DT this sumer but he opted not to. Lawrence Guy is a good solid but unspectacular DL. But when he is by far your best lineman, its not a good sign.
BB is no dummy, he knows they will get pushed around this season and will be very susceptible to strong run games.

They do really need a big heavy run stuffing space occupying big dude.

Here are a few still unsigned; Marcel Dareus, Snacks Harrison, Daniel Mccullers, Corey Liuget, Hassan Ridgeway,

This has to be one of the biggest surprises to me in terms of roster rebuilding (along with WR obviously). There have been many opportunities where BB could have signed relatively inexpensive upgrades at DT this sumer but he opted not to. Lawrence Guy is a good solid but unspectacular DL. But when he is by far your best lineman, its not a good sign.
BB is no dummy, he knows they will get pushed around this season and will be very susceptible to strong run games.

They do really need a big heavy run stuffing space occupying big dude.

How many yards and touchdowns did Henry get against us in the playoffs!

I believe that is not in BB's nature to tank.

But I am still astounded at the roster he has assembled, especially at WR, DE, DL, TE and LB, especially in the face of sitting on the most amount of cap space in the entire league (35+ MM)
Sure does not seem like he is going all in.

I do understand the uncertainty around the financial situation next year. Is it possible that BB does not believe the NFL season will finish through the SB, due to COVID?

No tackling in practice could mean issues for our youngster in real games.

Theorically
I'll be watching the whole front 7, honestly. I fear stopping the run could be an issue again.
That s my main concern too...secondary however is our Force...they hv to carry all defense

I wonder if we will use our big safeties, Duggar and Phillips to help limit the damage in the flats and check down routes this year.

that would mean the big nickel as our base defense.

I'm concerned about the defensive front seven as a whole, especially the linebacking corps.
Look at the amount of playing time from 2019 that will not be available.

Rank - Snaps - % - Pos - Player
#3 --- 814 --- 81% --- LB --- Van Noy
#4 --- 813 --- 81% --- LB --- Collins
#5 --- 723 --- 72% --- LB --- Hightower
#7 --- 657 --- 65% --- S ---- Harmon
#8 --- 642 --- 64% --- S ---- Chung
#11 -- 492 --- 49% --- DT --- Shelton

That is a whole lot to be replaced, and now it will be done by replacements who did not have the benefit of OTAs, preseason games, or inter-squad scrimmages. While I am cautiously hoping for the best, realistically my expectations are relatively low.

I'm concerned about the defensive front seven as a whole, especially the linebacking corps.
Look at the amount of playing time from 2019 that will not be available.

Rank - Snaps - % - Pos - Player
#3 --- 814 --- 81% --- LB --- Van Noy
#4 --- 813 --- 81% --- LB --- Collins
#5 --- 723 --- 72% --- LB --- Hightower
#7 --- 657 --- 65% --- S ---- Harmon
#8 --- 642 --- 64% --- S ---- Chung
#11 -- 492 --- 49% --- DT --- Shelton

That is a whole lot to be replaced, and now it will be done by replacements who did not have the benefit of OTAs, preseason games, or inter-squad scrimmages. While I am cautiously hoping for the best, realistically my expectations are relatively low.

Same here. I really think stopping the run, especially early on, could prove a tough task.

Last edited:
Same here. I really think stopping the run, especially early in, could prove a tough task.

If I am an opposing offensive coordinator, why throw the ball downfield towards Gilmore, Jackson and the McCourtys - when I have the option to run against a bunch of replacements that were denied a normal offseason to learn? I would study the film from the playoff loss to the Titans, then run, run, and run some more with a few screen passes thrown into the mix until the Patriots proved me wrong.

If I am an opposing offensive coordinator, why throw the ball downfield towards Gilmore, Jackson and the McCourtys - when I have the option to run against a bunch of replacements that were denied a normal offseason to learn? I would study the film from the playoff loss to the Titans, then run, run, and run some more with a few screen passes thrown into the mix until the Patriots proved me wrong.
Exactly. I remember thinking in the Dallas game last season that they were dumb to have Dak dropping back so much. Zeke was very productive until they went away from him. Add to that the fact that the weather was awful, and I just don't get why they didn't just pound the ball. Cleveland also could have done that, but they got behind because of turnovers. The game plan for every team with a good runner should be to pound the rock unless they fall behind early or by a big margin.

With our secondary being the strength of this defense and team, I would expect every team to line up and try and ground and pound us. With all the bad coaching in the league though, you never know.

Who takes Beau Allen's place on the dl while he rides the IR bench?

Considering they are in 5 or more dbs 90% of the time they really don’t run 34 or 43.
Our base defense is 5 dbs, 2 DTs and any combination of 4 guys that could be called lbs or DEs.
I could see playing even front from that thought with Duggar or Phillips helping up the middle. I think Duggar is going to be a huge part of the run D. I think he will turn out to be a more talented, bigger, stronger, faster Chung.
If so that’s a piece bb will get a ton of milage out of.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye