PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Thoughts on the Defensive Line

Status
Not open for further replies.
DL/Run defense was a glaring weakness and all BB does to address it was......Beau Allen? :headscratch:

Who takes Beau Allen's place on the dl while he rides the IR bench?
Guy butler and cowart will be the rotation.

Run defense was a glaring weakness and all BB does to address it was......Beau Allen? :headscratch:
Run defense was 6th in the NFL as part of the #1 overall defense in the nfl. How is that a glaring weakness?

Who takes Beau Allen's place on the dl while he rides the IR bench?
Nobody, apparently...Bill in his finite wisdom has decided that he would rather have JJ Kid Dy-No-Mite Taylor, who's so small that he makes Dion Lewis look like LeGarrette Blunt, and Straight Cassh Malulu, who...just sucks.

Considering they are in 5 or more dbs 90% of the time they really don’t run 34 or 43.
Our base defense is 5 dbs, 2 DTs and any combination of 4 guys that could be called lbs or DEs.
I could see playing even front from that thought with Duggar or Phillips helping up the middle. I think Duggar is going to be a huge part of the run D. I think he will turn out to be a more talented, bigger, stronger, faster Chung.
If so that’s a piece bb will get a ton of Mojave out of.
Umm...what?

Guy butler and cowart will be the rotation.
That's not nearly good enough, not by a damn sight...And we can throw Bentley & Copeland into that pile as well...

With our secondary being the strength of this defense and team, I would expect every team to line up and try and ground and pound us. With all the bad coaching in the league though, you never know.
And that's the thing right there. We know there thing to do is to line up and pound them, but how many teams will actually do that? I could easily see the Pats having a few more losses last season if that had happened (thankfully it didn't). I hope for the same poor coaching this season by our opponents.

And that's the thing right there. We know there thing to do is to line up and pound them, but how many teams will actually do that? I could easily see the Pats having a few more losses last season if that had happened (thankfully it didn't). I hope for the same poor coaching this season by our opponents.
Parker vs Gilmore round 3 will be the match up of the day. Lots of trash talk this off season.

Bentley really needs to step up after showing such promise two seasons ago before being IRed. His play is going to be huge in filling two to three different voids in that front 7, though I know that's a tall order for him.

Nobody, apparently...Bill in his finite wisdom has decided that he would rather have JJ Kid Dy-No-Mite Taylor, who's so small that he makes Dion Lewis look like LeGarrette Blunt, and Straight Cassh Malulu, who...just sucks.
Going to be a long season, isn't it?

Parker vs Gilmore round 3 will be the match up of the day. Lots of trash talk this off season.
Yeah, also because MIA also doesn't have a legit running game. I wonder if they'll give AP a call?

Yeah, also because MIA also doesn't have a legit running game. I wonder if they'll give AP a call?
AP signed with the Lions. They have Jordan Howard and Matt Brieda. Not bad.

Bentley really needs to step up after showing such promise two seasons ago before being IRed. His play is going to be huge in filling two to three different voids in that front 7, though I know that's a tall order for him.
he has the green dot this year? prep work will help calling the d... quickens the understanding, the recognition/decision making process

he has the green dot this year? prep work will help calling the d... quickens the understanding, the recognition/decision making process
That's a good question. I would imagine he will have the green dot. If memory serves, I think he had it at times two seasons ago before he got injured. But I haven't seen anything confirmed about that for this season, so take what I'm saying with a grain of salt.

With our secondary being the strength of this defense and team, I would expect every team to line up and try and ground and pound us. With all the bad coaching in the league though, you never know.

Week 1: Miami - Flores will run the ball down the throat of the Patriots if he can, because he knows the secondary is the strength
Week 2: Seattle - Carroll will try to run, but the biggest run threat might be Wilson against the LBs, and that won't be about coaching
Week 3: Vegas - Chuckie's gonna run the ball, and Carr's going to hit short passes against the LBs
Week 4: K.C. - It's not going to matter, because KC's going to probably steamroll this team

Allen returning somewhere after that might change things, but the coaching (and talent) involved sets up for a rough start in terms of coaches using the run if they've got it.

Considering they are in 5 or more dbs 90% of the time they really don’t run 34 or 43.
Our base defense is 5 dbs, 2 DTs and any combination of 4 guys that could be called lbs or DEs.
I could see playing even front from that thought with Duggar or Phillips helping up the middle. I think Duggar is going to be a huge part of the run D. I think he will turn out to be a more talented, bigger, stronger, faster Chung.
If so that’s a piece bb will get a ton of milage out of.

So, our defense to an interior running game is Phillips and Duggar instead of a NT?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes