PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

(They say) This Hypothetical Earl Thomas-Patriots Trade Makes Ton Of Sense

Status
Not open for further replies.
That would be a pretty nasty defense given health (which is not a given with the Chargers).
It's just a matter of time before their roster becomes the annual M.A.S.H. unit and the media will use it as an excuse. Not even the Cowboys get as many passes at mediocrity than the Chargers.

I blame Brady more than Mason as he had plenty of time. The line can't block forever.
He actually didn’t have plenty of time. 2.38 seconds IIRC. That’s why it’s hard to believe that Gronk, with the route he was running, was his first read in his progression. And, contrary to what Andy says, how the defense lines up in coverage also dictates a quarterback’s progressions. That alone should be enough for anyone to ask why he was so focused on Gronk.

He actually didn’t have plenty of time. 2.38 seconds IIRC. That’s why it’s hard to believe that Gronk, with the route he was running, was his first read in his progression. And, contrary to what Andy says, how the defense lines up in coverage also dictates a quarterback’s progressions. That alone should be enough for anyone to ask why he was so focused on Gronk.
I'll have to watch it again but it seemed like he had enough time when I initially saw it. I was screaming at the TV for him to throw it at White standing all alone.

And he'd be 1-2 if it weren't for Tavon Wilson.

And 0-3 if they didn't call an absurd intentional grounding penalty against Brady at the end of the first half of their 2012 regular season game.

This makes no sense, period. If Mason leaves take the comp pick. The Patriots are playing for a ring, trading Gronk or Mason or any other high quality starter makes no sense at all.

I’d trade Shaq Mason for Earl Thomas in a second. In a nickel/dime/money league, you can never have enough quality DBs.

I wouldn't do it in a second...

it would take a couple seconds to sign the paperwork

01 ~ We all realize that Earl Thomas is a CenterFielder (Free Safety, to you Earthlings), not a RoverBack (Strong Safety, to you Earthlings), right? :rolleyes:

02 ~ And we all realize that we've already got a CenterFielder with a fat Salary...right? o_O

03 ~ And whatever becomes of my man Shaq Mason in a year, the worst case scenario is that he's already worth a late 3rd Rounder to us, unless 2018 is a bad year.

04 ~ More'n likely, though, 2018 will prove to be his best year, yet...And some putz thinks that we should trade an exceptional Offensive Guard, entering his prime, for an extra CenterFielder with a bloated salary?? :eek: Stupidest idea that I've ever heard.

Last edited:
Yeah those were pretty bad. And the author needs to look up what a "Blockbuster Trade" actually is. Shaq Mason for LaQuan Treadwell (has done nothing) is not a "Blockbuster Trade". Trey Flowers (not a big name) for Denzel Perryman (unknown) is not a "Blockbuster Trade". A big name player for big name player or multiple 1st round picks is a "Blockbuster Trade".

Other thoughts:
1. Nobody will trade 2 1st round picks for Gronk.
2. Trade Trey Flowers when their pass rush is suspect? I ONLY see that happening if there's some monumental jump with Wise Jr., Rivers shows something and they get a 2nd round pick.

04 ~ More'n likely, though, 2018 will prove to be his best year, yet...And some putz thinks that we should trade an exceptional Offensive Guard, entering his prime, for an extra CenterFielder with a bloated salary?? :eek: Stupidest idea that I've ever heard.

You lead a charmed life Brother Grid. As stupid of an idea as it is it still isn't even close to the stupidest I've heard just today alone.

01 ~ We all realize that Earl Thomas is a CenterFielder (Free Safety, to you Earthlings), not a RoverBack (Strong Safety, to you Earthlings), right? :rolleyes:

02 ~ And we all realize that we've already got a CenterFielder with a fat Salary...right? o_O

03 ~ And whatever becomes of my man Shaq Mason in a year, the worst case scenario is that he's already worth a late 3rd Rounder to us, unless 2018 is a bad year.

Agreed. If the Pats are interested in adding more depth to the S4 position (which is perfectly reasonable), they have the ability to get a guy like Boston, Reid, Vaccarro for at least half the price, if not 1/3 of the cost of Thomas. And it wouldn’t cost them a starting RG or ANY trade compensation, for that matter.

I'll trust that whatever Bill decides to do or not do, that will be fine by me. I learned my lesson a decade and a half ago.

05 - Positional value for safeties is way down. Vaccaro, Boston, and Reid can't even get a sniff. Positional value for OL is way up.

Except Mason is overrated. He’s not a complete player and shouldn’t command the money he’s going to get. Earl Thomas is much better than Vaccaro or Boston. You might have an argument for Reid, who I like as a player, but even he isn’t as good as Thomas.

FWIW, Brady just started following earl thomas on instagram :eek:

I would be i intrrested to throw a 5th and a jag player Cyrus Jones? For Perryman

Lets give Cyrus at least this training camp before we call him JAG or anything. When used as CB in his rookie season he looked ok. The entire opinion on him is tainted by his ST drops.

Not saying it is likely but supposedly he was looking like someone on a good trajectory before tearing his season ending injury last summer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back