PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

(They say) This Hypothetical Earl Thomas-Patriots Trade Makes Ton Of Sense

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't get that at all. Mason punched out weakly, Graham engaged and simply went around him with a simple grip and go. Mason was off balance, tried to through his body right out, but iGraham had enough leverage to get his left hand on the ball.
People want to blame Brady believing that they can decide in hindsight what his progressions are and pretend he missed an open receiver.
Some people just don’t understand football
and make uninformed comments. A QB is given progressions on pass plays. He doesn’t sit back peruse the field and look for who is open.
Brady went through his progressions and was strip sacked before he reached white in the progressions.

How do we know he wasn't trying to pass to another open receiver?
I can’t see who you are discussing this with but they seem to not understand how pass plays work and what QBs progressions are.

I can’t see who you are discussing this with but they seem to not understand how pass plays work and what QBs progressions are.
I understand perfectly what progressions are. I also played the game much more recently than you have. Furthermore, I understand that if a man is open and is immediately in your line of sight, you should throw him the ball. Go watch that play again. It was pretty obvious even before the snap that Gronk was going to be double covered. The Eagles weren’t going to let that happen so Brady’s eyes should have been on the checkdown, which was White in this case. Yet his eyes stay on Gronk long after he should have moved on to his next option. This is a play that Brady has made routinely in the past even when given less time than what Philly did on that play. Watch Brady’s eyes. He’s staring down Gronk. This is the GOAT and two of the things that makes him great is situational awareness (there was no way Philly was going to let that deep of a pattern develop) and the ability to get through his reads quickly. You can’t sit there and tell me, with how long he watched Gronk, that this was simply him going through progressions...

And come on, Andy. We all know you’re reading my posts. Kind of sad that you let me bully you day to day but if I had gotten owned that often by someone and knew I was bringing a knife to a gun fight, I’d probably be tempted to “ignore” them too.

Last edited:
Comments:

a.) I don't like the idea of giving Thomas a HUGE contract especially when we have a very good safety trio now.

b.) I think we need Mason THIS YEAR at least. I know he is a goner next year...no doubt...but let's take advantage of his rookie contract one more year and let him walk.

c.) Yes, I'd rather trade Mason for a fearless pass rusher.....or a LB that can cover.

Brady wanted Gronk on this play and waited for him to finish his route shortly before he got hit. Look at the All22 and you will see it all the way. After the OL essentially pitched a perfect game until that point, TB was comfortable enough to wait for it to develop rather than taking the open RB.

**** happens..

People want to blame Brady believing that they can decide in hindsight what his progressions are and pretend he missed an open receiver.
Some people just don’t understand football
and make uninformed comments. A QB is given progressions on pass plays. He doesn’t sit back peruse the field and look for who is open.
Brady went through his progressions and was strip sacked before he reached white in the progressions.

Go and rewatch the play Andy. He saw the matchup Gronk had presnap and wanted it all the way. Add in the fact that he felt extremely comfortable in the pocket and it is easy to understand that he felt like there was enough time to wait one more breath to see if Gronk would be open on his route and only if not go to the checkdown.

Ironically if there had been more pressure on Brady in the second half he might have not done that but taken the checkdown faster. What will annoy Brady over the offseason whenever he thinks about the play is that the checkdown would have been a first down. Given the amount of time on the clock and the situation those additional 10-15 yards he wanted to gain were really not worth it. But whatever..

Go and rewatch the play Andy. He saw the matchup Gronk had presnap and wanted it all the way. Add in the fact that he felt extremely comfortable in the pocket and it is easy to understand that he felt like there was enough time to wait one more breath to see if Gronk would be open on his route and only if not go to the checkdown.

Ironically if there had been more pressure on Brady in the second half he might have not done that but taken the checkdown faster.
I can hear the straw man approaching as we speak. “Are you saying that you know better than Brady?”

I can hear the straw man approaching as we speak. “Are you saying that you know better than Brady?”

Well if that strawman appears I am out of the conversation. The tape doesn't really lie. I think even Lombardi had the same conclusion about Brady wanting Gronk instead of taking the checkdown in his podcast right after the SB.

Brady wanted Gronk on this play and waited for him to finish his route shortly before he got hit. Look at the All22 and you will see it all the way. After the OL essentially pitched a perfect game until that point, TB was comfortable enough to wait for it to develop rather than taking the open RB.

**** happens..
If Brady’s progression was Gronk then his job is to wait for Gronk to finish his route not look around for someone else open. It’s not a matter of choice it’s a matter of executing the play the way it is drawn up.
Sure if he glitched around impatiently trying to check down that play would have worked out better but we never would have been in a position where that play mattered.

That’s just not how it works.
Brady doesn’t decide what his progressions are, they are part of the design of the play.

Ironically if there had been more pressure on Brady in the second half he might have not done that but taken the checkdown faster. What will annoy Brady over the offseason whenever he thinks about the play is that the checkdown would have been a first down. Given the amount of time on the clock and the situation those additional 10-15 yards he wanted to gain were really not worth it. But whatever..
NO. It just doesn’t work that way. He doesn’t decide if he thinks there will be pressure than change the progressions. If he has escape pressure then things change but if Gronk was the progression he has to stay with him until his route is complete otherwise Gronk wouldn’t be the progression.

If Brady’s progression was Gronk then his job is to wait for Gronk to finish his route not look around for someone else open. It’s not a matter of choice it’s a matter of executing the play the way it is drawn up.
Sure if he glitched around impatiently trying to check down that play would have worked out better but we never would have been in a position where that play mattered.
The Eagles lined up in an over wide 9 and dropped six into coverage. It’s very hard to believe that Brady’s first read was Gronk on that play, given that he was running a deep breaking out route. He locked on to Gronk. It happens. Brady himself makes mistakes and this was one of them. He either got overconfident in the OL’s ability to protect him on that play or he got greedy and just had too much trust in Gronk or he didn’t read what the Eagles were doing on that side of the ball pre-snap (extremely unlikely). Either way, Brady is at fault for that one as well.

........Yet his eyes stay on Gronk long after he should have moved on to his next option. .................

And come on, Andy. We all know you’re reading my posts. Kind of sad that you let me bully you day to day but if I had gotten owned that often by someone and knew I was bringing a knife to a gun fight, I’d probably be tempted to “ignore” them too.

How do you know he wasn't looking the defense off?

How do you know he wasn't looking the defense off?
Because he was going in that direction on his throw before he got hit then tried to unload it to White at the last minute. That wide 9 that they ran is their NASCAR package. I don’t think he would have had enough time to look the defense off in the manner that you’re suggesting.

Anyway, he wasn't situationally aware, and it cost.

To be fair, Carrol is 2-1 against BB with the Seahawks and very well could've been 3-0 if it weren't for Malcolm Butler.

With that being said, this would be a bad trade for the Seahawks. They need guys upfront who can pass block better for Wilson and Mason isn't that great at that.

I'd rather see the Pats keep Mason for one more year and sign Eric Reid.

Reid? Benched in SF. SW nonsense. Vaccaro is of more interest IMO.

Mason won't work but a package might. Snoop Dog Harmon and maybe Malcomb Brown (Pats refused year 5 option is not a good sign. Missed games in 2017 and due $7mm in 2019 which will never happen). Two decent players for one who changes our Defensive dynamic like Rodney did.

DW Toys

and to be even more fair, the Patriots could be 3-0 if that debacle in 2012 wasn't such a robbery by the refs in the 24-23 loss. The Pats should have won the game by 10 points

and don't forget the 3 points BB eschewed at the end of the 1st half from the 3 yard line

The most damaging came at the end of the first half when coach Bill Belichick opted to throw with 6 seconds remaining instead of kicking the field goal from the Seattle 3. Brady was flagged for intentional grounding and the ensuing time runoff ended the half.

"You lose by one point and here are a lot of things we could have done better to not be in that situation," Brady said.

Seattle's defense gave up a season-high 475 yards after not allowing any of its first five opponents to top 300. ]The Patriots went eight consecutive drives without punting, and ran 85 offensive plays to the Seahawks' 55, yet could not get the touchdowns to put Seattle away.

So let's be fair, OK?

?
What part of the game was robbed by the refs in 2012? The intentional grounding call? It was new to me when Brady was initially called for it in the Super Bowl against the Giants as I thought I've seen many players in the past throw it out of bounds past the endzone.

But the play that bothered me more was the tipped pass that was intercepted by Earl Thomas. The Seahawks should've got blown out that game.

And he'd be 1-2 if it weren't for Tavon Wilson.
Yeah that play was brutal.

Anyway, he wasn't situationally aware, and it cost.
Yep. Mind you, I’m not pinning all the blame on Brady. Mason certainly had his hand in that too.

Reid? Benched in SF. SW nonsense. Vaccaro is of more interest IMO.

Mason won't work but a package might. Snoop Dog Harmon and maybe Malcomb Brown (Pats refused year 5 option is not a good sign. Missed games in 2017 and due $7mm in 2019 which will never happen). Two decent players for one who changes our Defensive dynamic like Rodney did.

DW Toys
Vaccaro was the one that was benched not Reid. Reid had his best season in SF in 2017 as he played the hybrid role BB has wanted since the Tank Williams days. He graded out as one of the best safeties in the league.

Yep. Mind you, I’m not pinning all the blame on Brady. Mason certainly had his hand in that too.
I blame Brady more than Mason as he had plenty of time. The line can't block forever.

I don't get that at all. Mason punched out weakly, Graham engaged and simply went around him with a simple grip and go. Mason was off balance, tried to through his body right out, but iGraham had enough leverage to get his left hand on the ball.

He was. Watch the play again. He initially looks at White but then wanted more. When it wasn't there, he went back to White but it was too late. Mason can't block forever.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back