PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The roster: Looking ahead to 2021

Curious, which teams are actually going to be in cap trouble next next spring? I’ve looked at the projected cap space but it obviously doesn’t factor in who needs to be resigned and for how much.

Not OT I think if there are many “cap casualties” around the league the pats are in good shape to capitalize

There is definitely going to be a slight downward adjustment in salaries next year. Not much, but the Pats should be in good position. Though they are going to tie up money with JC Jackson and with Thuney. I expect both of them to be signed to long term deals. Hopefully, they can get Jackson for a 5 year deal and Thuney on a 3 or 4 year deal. I fully expect them to draft another center in the draft regardless of whether they bring back Andrews or slide Thuney over. Personally, I'd slide Thuney to center and put Onwenu at LG with Herron/Cajuste/Draft pick battling it out for the RT position. I've not seen anything to make me believe that Thuney wouldn't be an All-Pro center if the Pats moved him there full time.

I expect that Eleumenor, Andrews, White, Butler, and Wise to sign contracts with other teams that will be part of the compensatory pick equation. There could be others like Calhoun who may or may not slip into the equation. Hopefully, the Pats can bring back Byrd, Guy and Carl Davis as well as Thuney and Jackson.

given our awful track record drafting WRs relative to FA/Trades I’d be open to trading multiple picks for two WRs

Also need several players on front 7 on defense besides Guy.

we have a ton of holes !

Curious, which teams are actually going to be in cap trouble next next spring? I’ve looked at the projected cap space but it obviously doesn’t factor in who needs to be resigned and for how much.

Not OT I think if there are many “cap casualties” around the league the pats are in good shape to capitalize
Off the top of my head:

-PHI
-NO
-ATL
-MIN
-HOU
-LAR
-GB
-PIT

Last edited:
Isn't NO always "in cap trouble" ?
Yeah, but it’s allegedly even more critical now due to Brees’ $36M cap hit, amongst other players as well..they’ve been going “all-in” the past few seasons now..

Yeah, but it’s allegedly even more critical now due to Brees’ $36M cap hit, amongst other players as well..they’ve been going “all-in” the past few seasons now..

I dunno how much longer Brees is going to be around. But, yes, he's used up lotsa cap in recent years. But even with Brees out - their soft schedule (and TB v KC this weekend) makes me think they have that division warpped up.

There are plenty of notable WR free agents heading into the off season:

AJ Green
Allen Robinson
TY Hilton
Sammy Watkins
Marvin Jones
Kenny Stills
Will Fuller
Curtis Samuel
JuJu Smith-Schuster
Nelson Agholor
Chris Godwin
Kenny Golladay

I wouldn't mind doing a Buffalo and double dipping here, leaving our draft picks for a QB and then focusing on defence with the rest.

Bill needs to inject this team with some talent this offseason. we need to HIT on the draft and he needs to make some good free agent signings.

Whatever happens, BB must keep Andrews, JC and Byrd - in that order. It seems sure that Thuney will leave this time for big $. Gilmore might also be gone without a team friendly restructure. And Byrd is what Cooks and Dorsett were supposed to be - so keep guys that get the system!

There is definitely going to be a slight downward adjustment in salaries next year. Not much, but the Pats should be in good position. Though they are going to tie up money with JC Jackson and with Thuney. I expect both of them to be signed to long term deals. Hopefully, they can get Jackson for a 5 year deal and Thuney on a 3 or 4 year deal. I fully expect them to draft another center in the draft regardless of whether they bring back Andrews or slide Thuney over. Personally, I'd slide Thuney to center and put Onwenu at LG with Herron/Cajuste/Draft pick battling it out for the RT position. I've not seen anything to make me believe that Thuney wouldn't be an All-Pro center if the Pats moved him there full time.

I expect that Eleumenor, Andrews, White, Butler, and Wise to sign contracts with other teams that will be part of the compensatory pick equation. There could be others like Calhoun who may or may not slip into the equation. Hopefully, the Pats can bring back Byrd, Guy and Carl Davis as well as Thuney and Jackson.
Would like to see Alabama center Landon Jackson be one of our draft choices.

Would like to see Alabama center Landon Jackson be one of our draft choices.
I goofed up big time...Landon ****erson is who I meant. Sorry about that.

Whatever happens, BB must keep Andrews, JC and Byrd - in that order. It seems sure that Thuney will leave this time for big $. Gilmore might also be gone without a team friendly restructure. And Byrd is what Cooks and Dorsett were supposed to be - so keep guys that get the system!
Add Butler , guy and folk

There are plenty of notable WR free agents heading into the off season:

AJ Green
Allen Robinson
TY Hilton
Sammy Watkins
Marvin Jones
Kenny Stills
Will Fuller
Curtis Samuel
JuJu Smith-Schuster
Nelson Agholor
Chris Godwin
Kenny Golladay

I wouldn't mind doing a Buffalo and double dipping here, leaving our draft picks for a QB and then focusing on defence with the rest.
Isn't Kenny Stills already a free agent?

Obviously Juju is the big catch from that list, but I also wouldn't mind seeing Bill take serious looks at Robinson, Jones & Gollady, for starters...

EDIT: Oops, didn't see Chris Godwin here...He's probably the one with the most qualities Bill & Josh like in WRs....

Last edited:
If cam gets us to 9-7 i would say roll with cam , anything lesser i think it's better to roll with stidham and look for 2022 to load a quarterback in system. If garopollo is available for 18 - 20 /year we could be back in the hunt.

Sign hunter henry , a WR1 and a castaway linebacker in the mould of van noy. If lightning strikes twice.

Resign JC, Butler, Guy, Folk, Andrews, Byrd. Rest are luxuries.

If miraculously we get MVP cam for next few weeks then no need to look for qb.

If not I would say we should try to accumulate assets for 2022. Trade Gilmore for 2022 first rounder . Draft down from first round to second round with Houston/ saints for their 2021 second and 2022 first unless wilson / hightower successor falls to us. Goal should be to accumulate 2022 picks. Play stidham for full season.

2021 draft picks - 2 defensive backs, 1 edge rusher, 1 OT, 1 running back from Alabama, 2 fast receivers in lower rounds or UFA. 2 more players with injury history who fell down the draft to redshirt them. After harry i don't want patriots to go for offensive players in draft unless it's a lineman.

Nose tackle - hoping Carl davis or beau allen pans out. Maybe somebody else who is a cap casualty and becomes available. Better to get FA than from draft as it takes time for folks to bulk up.

Cannon, high tower, McCourty twins, white , Chung most likely are not going to come back/ be signed.

Last edited:
LOL. What has that team ever won!
Equally importantly, there aren't going to be terribly many places where they can get more money next year.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Back