PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The Patriots Should Not Trade Jimmy Garoppolo This Offseason

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not going to even bother reading this article.

The draft is void of franchise QBs

The FA/trade pool is void of reliable, high ceiling, high-quality players.

We all know there are questions surrounding Jimmy G.

Pats are going to fetch a nice haul for him. I'm convinced of this.

You were one of the posters crapping all over Brady in early 2014 and claiming they should get rid of him then, and all he has done is win them two more Lombardis since then. You don't know what you are talking about.

ok....now you're just making stuff up. that isn't true. you shouldn't get in the habit of putting words in peoples mouths, especially when its not true

Huh????
AFAIK comp picks are a function of contract $
And the new contract at that.
Then why did we all have to wait to see whether or not Mack hit 80% of his snaps this year before finding out that we'd definitely get the 3rd round comp pick in the Jamie Collins deal?

According to one of the best in the business regarding the projection of comp picks(AdamjT13), "Compensatory picks are determined by a secret formula based on salary, playing time, and postseason honors."

The Basics and Methodology of Projecting the NFL's Compensatory Draft Picks | Over the Cap

Then why did we all have to wait to see whether or not Mack hit 80% of his snaps this year before finding out that we'd definitely get the 3rd round comp pick in the Jamie Collins deal?

According to one of the best in the business regarding the projection of comp picks(AdamjT13), "Compensatory picks are determined by a secret formula based on salary, playing time, and postseason honors."

The Basics and Methodology of Projecting the NFL's Compensatory Draft Picks | Over the Cap

Because Mack's salary is near the cutoff for 3s vs 4s (something like the top 5%). So his playtime would determine if he stayed above the cutoff or dropped below.

But the primary factor is always average annual contract value.

Huh????
AFAIK comp picks are a function of contract $

You're right partially. It's both actually, plus other factors like team performance. I've never seen the formula though. Have you?

You're right partially. It's both actually, plus other factors like team performance. I've never seen the formula though. Have you?

Nobody has, the NFL keeps it as secret as the "random PSI check numbers". But I think 6 3rd round comp picks is the max that the NFL has ever awarded, (which is why on the day of the trade through today, I have always said that I doubt the Browns are awarded a 3rd round pick for Mack). Plus if you look at the mock drafts at NFL.COM, they are "mocking" that there will only be 6 3rd round comp picks.

Maybe BB had some insider deal with Cleveland or they can change the Collins compensation in a potential deal for Jimmy. Either way, I wouldn't count on that 3rd round comp pick, because I don't think it is going to happen.

Fortunately for the rest of us

Groupthink? Dude, i was one of the very 1st to cite the most compelling reasons to trade JG this offseason, as opposed to waiting til 2018 or beyond. Ive just posted it in depth so many times, im tired of doing it. but you know damn well what they are. 1. leverage. Obviously Pats will NEVER have the same great leverage with jg that they have this offseason. i refuse to list all the arguments-been there done that too many times. go read them yourself. and ive forgotten more about nfl football than youre likely to ever know.

From LaConfora's Article....lol...."Belichick has traded players off the franchise tag before and he’s the rare exec to fully explore restricted free agency and he’s not bound to convention or concerned with groupthink."

Let's separate fact from fiction in QB market for Romo, Garoppolo and Cousins

im so good laconfora comes on patsfans.com and copies my thoughts

From LaConfora's Article....lol...."Belichick has traded players off the franchise tag before and he’s the rare exec to fully explore restricted free agency and he’s not bound to convention or concerned with groupthink."

Let's separate fact from fiction in QB market for Romo, Garoppolo and Cousins

im so good laconfora comes on patsfans.com and copies my thoughts

Wow. Just wow. You really are a freakin idiot. Havent you been ***** -slapped enough already? I guess not. I guess I'll have to do the honors.

What LaConfora wrote is pretty much what ive been saying for weeks.
What LaConfora wrote is almost the EXACT OPPOSITE of the gibberish YOU have been posting.

So youre bragging about the fact that yet another person totally disagrees with the dreck youve been polluting this board with.

And youre bragging because he used one word "groupthink"- that you used in one of your lame posts. And he used in in an entirely different meaning. Youre either 10 years old or disturbed. If youre 10, its ok, dont worry about it, kid-we all make mistakes. if youre not 10-this is the last time i'll waste my valuable time responding to one of your useless posts. youre a troll. and not even a very good one.

It's also never been more important for this franchise to have strong depth at the quarterback position. Our franchise star and all time greatest QB is aging and doesn't have a lot left to prove. He could be gone in any given year depending on how things go.

Just saying, trading Garroppolo right now is not a slam dunk. You are sacrificing a depth option that with only just a little bit of bad luck at the wrong time could be the key to saving the season next year.
We needed "depth" to cover for Jimmy this year during just a 4 game stretch. Brady usually goes about 9 or 10 seasons without needing games off.

Nobody has, the NFL keeps it as secret as the "random PSI check numbers". But I think 6 3rd round comp picks is the max that the NFL has ever awarded, (which is why on the day of the trade through today, I have always said that I doubt the Browns are awarded a 3rd round pick for Mack). Plus if you look at the mock drafts at NFL.COM, they are "mocking" that there will only be 6 3rd round comp picks.

Maybe BB had some insider deal with Cleveland or they can change the Collins compensation in a potential deal for Jimmy. Either way, I wouldn't count on that 3rd round comp pick, because I don't think it is going to happen.
You're saying that even with the contract + playing time, it's still no sure thing that we get the 3rd round comp pick from the Collins trade? If so, that will kind of suck.

C2Ylv1FW8AQYq2V.jpg-large-613x604.jpg

Well this is playing directly into BB's hands.

The media are all over the Garoppolo story. His value won't get any higher than this off-season.
If we cash in - we could reap a bounty of draft picks and take guys to help for next year and beyond.

So if a team like the 49ers or Bears offered say their high 2nd round pick this year and their 1st round pick next year for Jimmy G, you wouldn't take it?

Nope ! Not enough. You will need a high pick to simply draft his replacement, so that one pick does not count.

If BB really thinks jimmy is the hier to brady he wouldnt trade him. He did look great in his game and a quarter and a half....BUT it was only a game and a quarter and a half. We dont have any bad tape to judge.

What ever Bills intentions were when he said "If you couldn't see the name on the jersey and just watched Tom and Jimmy play, it would be hard to tell the difference"
"Jimmy can run the offense just like Tom"

I was actually surprised he said that and the way he said it. Either he truly believes it or he is trying to pump up JG's trade value.[/QUOTE]

Not all of a QB value is what he does. It is also about what his needs are to a team and the players on it. BB has been acquiring offensive players who are compatible with Tom Brady's talent. If his replacement has talents different from Brady, he needs to re-tailor the team to fit. That may mean disposing of some players and acquiring others. When Belichick makes that comment he implies that a major retooling is NOT NEEDED if it is Brady to Polo.

Brisset on the other hand is different. He has a slow and long release and is not as accurate in the short and itermediate game and may be more talented throwing long and running.

Goodbye to the Edelmans and Amendolas. Hello to the the deep and super talented big receivers, like Julio Jones and Dez White divas, who may be absolutely necessary, (if you can afford them). Long marches with lots of third downs, are probably not in the cards. Quick scores are.

The defense based on keeping everything in front of them waiting for a mistake, is probably not sustainable if the Offense does not take long periods of time off the clock. You will need spectacular game breaking players, (if you can afford them). The high cost of these positions will obviate affording the large number of good players, so the great depth will not be there.

Question: Is such a hypothetical team something that BB would want to coach or could win with consistently ? BB's comment implies some valid considerations, that most fans never even think about.

Last edited:
Not all of a QB value is what he does. It is also about what his needs are to a team and the players on it. BB has been acquiring offensive players who are compatible with Tom Brady's talent. If his replacement has talents different from Brady, he needs to re-tailor the team to fit. That may mean disposing of some players and acquiring others. When Belichick makes that comment he implies that a major retooling is NOT NEEDED if it is Brady to Polo.

Brisset on the other hand is different. He has a slow and long release and is not as accurate in the short and itermediate game and may be more talented throwing long and running.

Goodbye to the Edelmans and Amendolas. Hello to the the deep and super talented big receivers, like Julio Jones and Dez White divas, who may be absolutely necessary, (if you can afford them). Long marches with lots of third downs, are probably not in the cards. Quick scores are.

The defense based on keeping everything in front of them waiting for a mistake, is probably not sustainable if the Offense does not take long periods of time off the clock. You will need spectacular game breaking players, (if you can afford them). The high cost of these positions will obviate affording the large number of good players, so the great depth will not be there.

Question: Is such a hypothetical team something that BB would want to coach or could win with consistently ? BB's comment implies some valid considerations, that most fans never even think about.
Garoppolo has already shown that his bread and butter is in the short to intermediate game, so I'm not sure why you're stating that anything would change, or suggesting that Garoppolo is more of a downfield thrower than Tom is?

One analyst recently stated that the team trading for him will appreciate his "death by paper cut" similarity to running the offense just like Brady. If anything, Brady is the one slinging the ball downfield. We just watched one of his most accurate seasons in his entire career as it pertains to deeper throwing.

Wow. Just wow. You really are a freakin idiot. Havent you been ***** -slapped enough already? I guess not. I guess I'll have to do the honors.

What LaConfora wrote is pretty much what ive been saying for weeks.
What LaConfora wrote is almost the EXACT OPPOSITE of the gibberish YOU have been posting.

So youre bragging about the fact that yet another person totally disagrees with the dreck youve been polluting this board with.

And youre bragging because he used one word "groupthink"- that you used in one of your lame posts. And he used in in an entirely different meaning. Youre either 10 years old or disturbed. If youre 10, its ok, dont worry about it, kid-we all make mistakes. if youre not 10-this is the last time i'll waste my valuable time responding to one of your useless posts. youre a troll. and not even a very good one.

anyone who writes they ***** slapped someone on a message board tells me all i need to know lol. you just disagree with me....most people here agree with you on this point..NEWSFLASH: that doesnt make you right

Last edited:
maybe im in the minority here. but im willing to eat $20M in cap room for 1 year to have a top notch pro bowl caliber QB for 10 years after
Bill will trade Jimmy because when Tom retires Bill will go out with him. I think because of that they are going to capitalize on the winning while they can and while they can feel confident of attaining a number 1 or 2 seed over the next 2-3 years. Is there any chance that Tom takes a restructured contract to allow Jimmy to be franchised going into 2018 in exchange for a deferred ownership stake from Kraft? Can that be done?Maybe they pre-agree if Tom wins his sixth he will retire and they give Jimmy a long term deal after 2017 which they discuss this year. If we don't win in 17 we re evaluate Tom's season and decide what to do then. I know I am crazy but just thinking out loud. I have a hard time believing Tom wouldn't be willing to play on the cheap to keep the chance of the dynasty continuing! Damn I want to keep both of these guys until the decision is obvious. I think the 4 guys need to really talk and think this thru.

We needed "depth" to cover for Jimmy this year during just a 4 game stretch. Brady usually goes about 9 or 10 seasons without needing games off.
Just goes to show why sacrificing depth at the quarterback position is a risk. Thanks for arguing in favor of my point.

If we keep Brissett as the backup and draft a guy, I can see moving on from Garoppolo if we're convinced that Brady has what it takes to compete for a Superbowl each of the next 2 years. I really like what I saw from Brissett. With 2 years of work under him Brissett is probably going to be as ready as he would ever have been, and we'll know whether we need to go get a guy. You CAN afford to trade Jimmy G in that scenario just as long as you KNOW Brady's going to be at an MVP level for 2 more seasons. Otherwise you're taking the franchise in your hands unnecessarily.

This is a no brainer, we need to trade JG this year or we ain't getting s*t for it next year and we are not going to pay a kings ransom for a backup.
Jacoby is still a project and needs another year or two to be ready, I like his poise, he has a good arm and his pocket presence is pretty good.

Brissett is gonna buy us some valuable time do we can draft Brady's heir in about two years since this upcoming draft QB class is piss poor.

JG is a good kid, and I'm sure he will make it wherever he goes, even with the Browns to some extent.

I rather see him go to Cleveland so we get their 12th puck, but worse case scenario I'll even take the Bears pick for JG.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News