PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NEW ARTICLE: Should They Trade Back, Patriots May Already Have a Solution in Nathan Rourke Ahead Of 2024 Draft

PatsFans.com Article

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
Should They Trade Back, Patriots May Already Have a Solution in Nathan Rourke Ahead Of 2024 Draft
Ian Logue
The decision to claim former CFL quarterback Nathan Rourke off of waivers back in December could be one of the final moves by Bill Belichick that could pay dividends.

The post Should They Trade Back, Patriots May Already Have a Solution in Nathan Rourke Ahead Of 2024 Draft appeared first on PatsFans.com.

Continue reading...

(If you enjoyed this entry - hit the Thumbs Up/If not, hit the Thumbs down in this thread)

I’m curious about this guy. If you have seen it, take a few minutes to watch his preseason highlights.

Granted this was only preseason, but it is impressive.

Here are his CFL highlights.

I hope the team gives him an opportunity to show what he can do.

Rourke working with throwing coach Rob Williams this week:

Also, the coach Rourke has been working with is the same person who has also been working with Titans QB Will Levis.

This is a defensible position. And a second day QB like Spencer Rattler, a guy with an interesting bio and big time arm, to fill out the QB room.

We frankly have a bigger issue at LT.

The guy brought in last year, Calvin Anderson, to provide depth at LT developed a mystery ailment that almost killed him.

Starting LT Blob Brown has taken his mercurial talents elsewhere. Veteran Riley Reiff lived up to some posters’ nickname of “antique.” He was even less durable than the Jets’ Duane Brown, who whiffed in game one causing the Buffalo Bills player to get his mitts on Aaron Rodgers.

Maybe the same thing happened to OL coach Adrian Klemm. It was weird. Anyone know why James Ferentz ended up being the de facto OL coach? It could use its own thread: What happened to Klemm?

It all starts up front. Look at the Jets. Go on YouTube and watch Jim Plunkett in a Patriots uniform.

Trade back slightly. Take Joe Alt at LT. Edit: Or the stud WR Harrison Jr. It’s that simple.

Last edited:
I don't think this will affect their decision to draft a QB at 3. I think that's coming straight from the top. But he'll have an opportunity to show what he has and we'll see if he can outplay Brisket and the rook in camp. We'll also find out if we're the kind of organization that still allows talent to trump draft placement and free agency contract.

One thing I left out of the article because I didn't want to overinflate it was the fact that Dunk mentioned he's obviously covered a lot of players, and he hasn't been around someone who showed the "it" factor as much as Rourke, and he's been around a lot of really good players. He said when Rourke walks into the room, he just has that type of effect, which I thought was also interesting.

This is an encouraging take. My only question is WHY haven't any of his WR's been signed. #19 was consistently impressive.

Listen guys, with a month to go before the actual draft there are going to be a LOT of various scenarios that seem reasonable and well thought out. This is one of them. If the Pats trade down and Rourke turns out to be the answer, it will look BRILLIANT. If he doesn't and Maye turns out to be a stud, it will look idiotic. The same thing goes if the reverse happens.

In the end the draft, especially for QB's , is a crapshoot. We just have to understand it and accept the consequences and live with those who like to rattle off their perfect 20-20 hindsight years later

At Ohio University his completion percentage peaked at 61%, nothing special. However, Rourke had 60 TD to 20 Int in his three seasons there, including an impressive 20:5 in his senior year. In the CFL in 2022 he put up some gawdy numbers in nine starts, completing 79% of his passes, with 25 TD and 10 Int.

Is his CFL to NFL trajectory going to compare to Warren Moon? That would be nice, but doubtful. Former CFL QBs Jeff Garcia or Vince Ferragamo would be more realistic.

This is an encouraging take. My only question is WHY haven't any of his WR's been signed. #19 was consistently impressive.

Listen guys, with a month to go before the actual draft there are going to be a LOT of various scenarios that seem reasonable and well thought out. This is one of them. If the Pats trade down and Rourke turns out to be the answer, it will look BRILLIANT. If he doesn't and Maye turns out to be a stud, it will look idiotic. The same thing goes if the reverse happens.

In the end the draft, especially for QB's , is a crapshoot. We just have to understand it and accept the consequences and live with those who like to rattle off their perfect 20-20 hindsight years later
This is why I would encourage people to go to the draft forum and stamp their name on their mock. Hindsight is annoying.

what's that saying? If it's too good to be true, it probably is.

At Ohio University his completion percentage peaked at 61%, nothing special. However, Rourke had 60 TD to 20 Int in his three seasons there, including an impressive 20:5 in his senior year. In the CFL in 2022 he put up some gawdy numbers in nine starts, completing 79% of his passes, with 25 TD and 10 Int.

Is his CFL to NFL trajectory going to compare to Warren Moon? That would be nice, but doubtful. Former CFL QBs Jeff Garcia or Vince Ferragamo would be more realistic.
His completion percentage is what he went to Williams for, so he could become a more efficient passer:

“He’s a good athlete,” said Williams of Rourke. “He’s a natural mover, which is why I think a lot of his numbers at Ohio were on the athleticism side of things, as a dual threat. But his passing completion percentage and everything just weren’t where they needed to be, and that was really the area that he and I, right from the start, we started focusing on. Just optimizing the efficiency of throwing. For him, he’ll be the first to admit he wasn’t a very efficient thrower.”

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Back