PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NEW ARTICLE: Should They Trade Back, Patriots May Already Have a Solution in Nathan Rourke Ahead Of 2024 Draft

Ian, I love you man, but cannot see this ageing well.
Lol, again, this started based on the idea of them not taking a quarterback next month after all the chatter this week about them trading down.

If they didn’t, that would’ve left Jacoby Brissett, Bailey Zappe, and then Rourke. The question would then become if Rourke was to beat Zappe out in camp for the backup role and then potentially see time him play - and maybe win some games - if Brissett got hurt this season.

As I said, I’d they do take a QB, it becomes a non-issue and then a matter of if he can push to be the backup next year. But it was still cool to dive into.

Nice article, and I hope he gets a legitimate shot.

He works hard on his technique, just like Brady did, and seems to have no quit in him.

Could be an unexpected find?

The article didn’t mention it, or I missed it, so I looked it up.

He will be 26 in May.

A couple of more from the last two days:

Again - likely a moot point if they end up taking a QB next month, but he's been an interesting player to dig into a little bit nonetheless.

Ian's article made it to X, promoted by none other than Tom Curran. Wow

Certainly wasn't expecting that. I agree - definitely cool :cool:

Just had someone pass this along:

Absolutely missed by his teammates there. :)

I've heard from a surprising number of people from Canada the last few days. Sort of crazy how revered he is up there...his following is certainly passionate and they're rooting for him hard to succeed here.

Last edited:

LOL, and also:

I hope to high hell there is a true starting qb competition in camp. Nothing should be handed to anyone.
It would be a great great story if Nathan beats out Zappe and Brissett.

Thanks for the article, although I wasn't expecting a tome (which by 2/3rds of the way I said to myself... well I made it this far I gotta finish).
What jumped out at me the most was the improvement made in max throw distance from 56 to 62 yds in the first offseason and eventually to 67yds, consistently throwing the 65 range. Shows me there may be room for a lot of improvement for QBs even coming out of college.

I hope to high hell there is a true starting qb competition in camp. Nothing should be handed to anyone.
It would be a great great story if Nathan beats out Zappe and Brissett.
If they ultimately take a QB next month, the best he can probably hope for is potentially becoming the backup in 2025, with the first step likely needing to be beating out Zappe for the #3 spot this summer.

Again, I wrote this under the premise of them trading back given all the discussion, wondering how they'd maybe get through it. And I know Tom is also torn on them trading back and trying to really build up the roster. However, I'm realistic enough to know the circumstances would need to work in his favor, and it's not a hill I'm willing to die on by any means.

But he's a hard-working kid, and it'll be hard not to root for him. Still, Mayo said today they're more or less focused on taking a QB next month, so that likely will make his road that much harder - barring an unforeseen injury - as he tries to establish himself here.

Thanks for the article, although I wasn't expecting a tome (which by 2/3rds of the way I said to myself... well I made it this far I gotta finish).
Yeah...rewrote it several times and had to turn it into a long-form piece. There was just too much between the various comments from both Dunk and his coach, along with some other details that were interesting and would have been hard to cut from it.

Well, you never know....Brady was #199, Purdy was Mr. Irrelevant, Moon came from the CFL, Kurt Warner bagged groceries, and etc....

At least, this makes me feel better about a massive trade down...

I am happy to acknowledge the utterly insignificant but cheap signing of - let's see: what was his name again? - Nathan Rourke as the high point of Belichick's last few years. I expect this to do wonders for Canadian/US relations and look forward to the hockey fights in spring training.

Honestly I think there's a good bit to like about Rourke. Is it likely he is "the guy"? No, but in the event that they trade down (which Mayo said this morning at the coaches' breakfast they're open to doing) and opt to fill their WR and tackle needs first and foremost, and perhaps a developmental QB later like a Pratt/Milton/Travis, then they're left with a room of Brissett, Zappe and Rourke. I like Brissett fine enough, he's steady, but is it unbelievable that Rourke could outplay him in camp? He's pretty athletic, though he is a smidge shorter than desired for the position. He would give you a dynamic that you don't really get from the other two guys in the room.

Definitely an outside shot but I mean, the team went on a 6 super bowl run with pick #199 at QB, **** happens. Look at Purdy who has been really successful as the last pick of the draft. Can the Pats build up a strong roster everywhere else while developing a QB who has a lot of tools and just needs to slowly round out into a complete player? Anything's possible. He's shown a lot of resilience going to the CFL, then Jacksonville, now here. Clearly he will do whatever he has to do to achieve his dream and doesn't have an ego, which has a lot of value - as others have mentioned, echoes of Kurt Warner.

There's also a chance at some irony in the Pats' 2024 starting QB being Jacksonville's 2023 backup, while NE sent their 2023 starter (Mac) to Jacksonville in 2024 to be their backup.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Back