PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The Patriots Should Not Trade Jimmy Garoppolo This Offseason

Status
Not open for further replies.
Franchising him would sacrifice present trade value to hedge against the future of our own franchise. With an aging quarterback, if the franchise makes that decision I would consider it an acceptable decision.
Troll with a capital "T."

C2Ylv1FW8AQYq2V.jpg-large-613x604.jpg

Well this is playing directly into BB's hands.

The media are all over the Garoppolo story. His value won't get any higher than this off-season.
If we cash in - we could reap a bounty of draft picks and take guys to help for next year and beyond.

So if a team like the 49ers or Bears offered say their high 2nd round pick this year and their 1st round pick next year for Jimmy G, you wouldn't take it?

Sure, if we could make the 1st rounder next year a protected pick, like the NBA lottery picks, where the pick can't be confiscated by the Omissioner or butt hurt owners.

Troll with a capital "T."
Whether or not you think I'm a troll, franchises hedge their bets in that way all the time. Any franchise makes moves that are more about maximizing the strength of the franchise rather than maximizing the value of that one move all the time.

If the franchise thinks that accepting a lesser price in trade for Garoppolo in a year, is an acceptable price for having the best possible backup behind their 40 year old starting quarterback, I for one wouldn't quibble with that even if I thought that the odds favored Brady remaining effective and Garoppolo eventually being traded -- which I do.

A franchise in this position has to make a stand and play the odds and be prepared for the improbable. Both trading and keeping Garoppolo can be defended logically, so we'll see what BB decides to do and what approach he takes.

Dude, just give it up. Your scenarios make zero sense. I didnt even touch on the most compeling reasons to trade JG this offseason, because I and others have done that ad nauseum in other threads. You really dont know what youre talking about so im not really interested in continuing this. Go study with Miguel for a while-get an understanding of Bradys up coming contract status over the next several years,the pats cap, the implications of tagging JG, the upcoming 2017 draft, the teams that need qbs and th available fa qbs. then add in what we know about how BB operates. study hard, come back and thenpost something that makes sense.

lol. i find it amusing for you to tell me i dont know what im talking about. i wont even go there.

all i will say is we saw what happened to Peyton Manning in Indianapolis. you get older, things go downhill quickly. you cant put yourself in a position where you have no quarterback. and i highly doubt we would go 1-15 and get an andrew luck type.

so you can think all you want. if it were me, i would never, ever, ever trade a great QB. not sure if Jimmy G is. but if he is, and patriots probably know...i would never trade him. for anything

i could care less about miguel's cap page when it comes to potentially great quarterbacks. you dont trade them. period. its a QB driven league. i would go into the season with Brady and an average to crap defense than a Brian Hoyer type QB and a great surrounding cast. you think the 12th pick in the draft or something like that is equal to a great qB? lol. glad you arent running the patriots. we'd be sitting here in a year or two, our team at 8-8, stuck in mediocrity. but we will have the 12th best player in the 2017 draft!

and by the way. i dont know if im right...just my opinion. i hope brady is great for another 10 years. I just personally think we should keep jimmy g as long as humanly possible. if it means sacrificing a couple of players thats ok

Last edited:
I didnt even touch on the most compeling reasons to trade JG this offseason, because I and others have done that ad nauseum in other threads.

And about this point...not sure how old you are, but dont go thru life with this logic. group think suppresses ideas. free and open thought is to key to innovation. the easy road is to just say and do what everyone else does.

most compelling reasons...LOL

If Brady gets hurt, they're not winning the Super Bowl. Period.

Out of curiosity, why the disagreement? It has happened before. You're disagreeing with history.

Whether it's the Broncos last year who secured home field advantage with their backup, to Kurt Warner and the Rams winning a Super Bowl, to Phil Simms/Jeff Hostetler with the Giants or Doug Williams with the Redskins...I just don't understand how you can disagree with reality.

Last edited:
Franchising him would sacrifice present trade value to hedge against the future of our own franchise. With an aging quarterback, if the franchise makes that decision I would consider it an acceptable decision.

BB really does need to anticipate at least the possibility that 2017 is the last year for Brady. Even if it isn't, they have to prepare as if it might be, because with older players you just never do quite know.

Do I think that Brissett could take this franchise in a positive direction if Brady took a career ending hit in game 1? He seems like a smart hardworking kid, but my answer to the question is no, probably not. I think we need to give Brissett another year under Brady's wing before making him the primary backup, to let him work on increasing the accuracy of his arm and the speed of his decision making, and that means we need Garoppolo for 1 more season.

Alternatively if do we make a trade, the value we get back had better reflect the fact that we are taking a risk in trading him.

Fortunately for the rest of us
And about this point...not sure how old you are, but dont go thru life with this logic. group think suppresses ideas. free and open thought is to key to innovation. the easy road is to just say and do what everyone else does.

most compelling reasons...LOL
Groupthink? Dude, i was one of the very 1st to cite the most compelling reasons to trade JG this offseason, as opposed to waiting til 2018 or beyond. Ive just posted it in depth so many times, im tired of doing it. but you know damn well what they are. 1. leverage. Obviously Pats will NEVER have the same great leverage with jg that they have this offseason. i refuse to list all the arguments-been there done that too many times. go read them yourself. and ive forgotten more about nfl football than youre likely to ever know.

Things change fast, 2 years in the NFL is a long time. Who knows if Brady still feels the same way in a couple years. He will be 41 and Giselle is probably thinking are you kidding me? How long are you gonna play? Especially if he wins another Super Bowl.

Basically I want my cake and to eat it too.. but we can't keep JG and Brady.

I won't be surprised if JG is here next year.

The 12th pick is great but... damn this is a decision I am glad I don't have to make.

Would you take 3 more great years with Brady at MVP level and then he retires
or....

Would you take 12-14 more years with JG the only caveat that you know for certain is that he is a consistent TOP 10 QB?

Just a hypothetical.

Last edited:
JG stays only if teams offer crappy picks for him

Things change fast, 2 years in the NFL is a long time. Who knows if Brady still feels the same way in a couple years. He will be 41 and Giselle is probably thinking are you kidding me? How long are you gonna play? Especially if he wins another Super Bowl.

Basically I want my cake and to eat it too.. but we can't keep JG and Brady.

I won't be surprised if JG is here next year.

The 12th pick is great but... damn this is a decision I am glad I don't have to make.

Would you take 3 more great years with Brady at MVP level and then he retires
or....

Would you take 12-14 more years with JG the only caveat that you know for certain is that he is a consistent TOP 10 QB?

Just a hypothetical.
But you don't know me is a consistent top 10 QB. He played like one for half a game called Miami. That's it.

But you don't know me is a consistent top 10 QB. He played like one for half a game called Miami. That's it.

Of course thats why I said its "Just a hypothetical" comment/situation.

Its a possibility belichick believes brisett can be as good or better than jimmy.

If BB really thinks jimmy is the hier to brady he wouldnt trade him. He did look great in his game and a quarter and a half....BUT it was only a game and a quarter and a half. We dont have any bad tape to judge.

If BB really thinks jimmy is the hier to brady he wouldnt trade him. He did look great in his game and a quarter and a half....BUT it was only a game and a quarter and a half. We dont have any bad tape to judge.[/QUOTE]

What ever Bills intentions were when he said "If you couldn't see the name on the jersey and just watched Tom and Jimmy play, it would be hard to tell the difference"
"Jimmy can run the offense just like Tom"

I was actually surprised he said that and the way he said it. Either he truly believes it or he is trying to pump up JG's trade value.

BB doesn't tend to pump athletes' tires unless he means it.

Jimmy G is a relatively smaller (6'2") quarterback who lasted 1.5 games before getting injured.

I'd put my money on Brady playing 3+ more years than Jimmy G being a consistent 16-game-a-year starter in the NFL. Not to mention he likes to scramble a bit.

Trading Garrapolo just comes down to the offers they getIf the Patriots are offered a top 15 pick they will trade him, same goes for a first plus a mid round pick next year. If they are offered less than this then they will keep him because the worst they can do is a 3rd round comp pick if he leaves in free agency and dropping a round (which is all they are doing by turning down a second round pick) is worth keeping him for next season.

Its a possibility belichick believes brisett can be as good or better than jimmy.

It's probable, not possible. If the Pats receive a good offer, JG is gone.

lol. i find it amusing for you to tell me i dont know what im talking about. i wont even go there.

all i will say is we saw what happened to Peyton Manning in Indianapolis. you get older, things go downhill quickly. you cant put yourself in a position where you have no quarterback. and i highly doubt we would go 1-15 and get an andrew luck type.

so you can think all you want. if it were me, i would never, ever, ever trade a great QB. not sure if Jimmy G is. but if he is, and patriots probably know...i would never trade him. for anything

i could care less about miguel's cap page when it comes to potentially great quarterbacks. you dont trade them. period. its a QB driven league. i would go into the season with Brady and an average to crap defense than a Brian Hoyer type QB and a great surrounding cast. you think the 12th pick in the draft or something like that is equal to a great qB? lol. glad you arent running the patriots. we'd be sitting here in a year or two, our team at 8-8, stuck in mediocrity. but we will have the 12th best player in the 2017 draft!

and by the way. i dont know if im right...just my opinion. i hope brady is great for another 10 years. I just personally think we should keep jimmy g as long as humanly possible. if it means sacrificing a couple of players thats ok

You were one of the posters crapping all over Brady in early 2014 and claiming they should get rid of him then, and all he has done is win them two more Lombardis since then. You don't know what you are talking about.

I think the heir gets drafted next season makes sense

Trading Garrapolo just comes down to the offers they getIf the Patriots are offered a top 15 pick they will trade him, same goes for a first plus a mid round pick next year. If they are offered less than this then they will keep him because the worst they can do is a 3rd round comp pick if he leaves in free agency and dropping a round (which is all they are doing by turning down a second round pick) is worth keeping him for next season.

Comp picks depend on playing time. If TB is healthy the Pats probably won't get a comp pick for JG.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back