PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The Patriots Should Not Trade Jimmy Garoppolo This Offseason

Status
Not open for further replies.
Brady wants to play into his mid 40s and I am sure Bill thinks he can. Jimmy G is probably getting traded.

Yea that's true, its very possible that he has a change of heart at some point during an off-season, where maybe he wants to spend more time with his kids while they're still young

You just never know.. but I think its a pretty safe bet that he'll be playing for at least another 2 years.. that means Brisset has 2 more years to develop as a potential future prospect.. and apparently next year's draft has a lot of good prospects as well, so they can double dip

That 1st round pick + others we get for Jimmy could get a premium player at another position of need (ie; C, RB, TE, LB, S, T, DL)
I hear you. It's going to be great to get a nice draft pick, but I'm still hesitant to part with what many seem to believe is a good, franchise QB.

In BB we trust. I'm good either way.

Brady wants to play into his mid 40s
There's certainly a decent possibility that could change, year by year, depending on Brady's health, the number of SB's they may win, when Belichick decides to call it quits, any input from his wife/family, and many other variables that cannot be predicted.

If that "5 more years" projection suddenly becomes 3 more years (and we still have one more year with Garoppolo), then stronger consideration should be given to try and bridge that gap while keeping Garoppolo. Obviously, no one knows these answers, so a fair amount of luck may go into the decision either way.

I don't think its worth passing on the opportunity to cash in on Jimmy's trade value right now just for 1 year of insurance.. the picks we get could help this team for the next 5+ years to maximize the end of Brady's career...

That's certainly one side of it and you make a great point. Playing devil's advocate would mean that I'd point out how that mid-first round pick could just as easily flame out and amount to nothing. The odds of hitting are obviously much higher, but it's still a crapshoot.

Looking back over the past 10 years, I see an awful lot of missed opportunities in the early rounds of the draft, and you've got to remember that they've had their first rounder taken twice. Hell, I actually forgot about cutting Dominique Easley, too. It's not like the first round has produced a ton of top level talent lately.

The main reason they've been able to overcome such an obstacle? (Glad you asked): Top level, consistent QB play, which is obviously what every NFL team looks to build their squad around. After considering the fact that we haven't seen a tremendous amount of success in the past ten years aside from Mayo, McCourty, and Hightower, I'm not as sure as others that a trade would definitely be the right choice in this specific situation. Most situations, yes, but there's something about this one that makes me stop and pause a little longer, that's all.

Edit: my three examples of recent first rounders isn't the debate as opinions will differ. Off the top of my head, I would probably add Solder, too.

The point is he is traded now or he, in all likelihood, leaves for nothing.

Brisset is actually on the roster as well. Brissett was a rookie thrown into a complex Patriots system and actually demonstrated composure in that unenviable role, so it is unfair to compare JAG and he at the stage of development at which Brissett had to start in a regular season game. Brissett has received some rave reviews from non-idiots about his work ethic and potential, and he actually played through an injury that should have sidelined him (we can debate why JAG needed to sit down, and if Brady would have been on the field and/or avoided the injury).

This notion that it is JAG or bust overlooks QB #3, so there may already be a capable backup/future starter when next season kicks off. Neither will be Brady, but I wouldn't bet on JAG being worlds better or even better than Brissett when next season kicks off.

In general I'd agree, but as long as Brady remains effective next year, we'd lost Jimmy at the end of next season regardless. It's reasonable to argue that a high-quality backup is worth a round or two lower draft stock (Jimmy would, on the open market, at least secure a third round comp pick) when you're going to be a Super Bowl favorite, but there's really no way that Jimmy turns into the Patriots long-term QB without Brady crashing hard.

why would we lose him regardless next year? we can franchise him.

If Brady gets hurt, they're not winning the Super Bowl. Period.
We thought the same thing about Bledsoe in 20o1

Garoppolo looks good. Is he good enough to lead a team to a Superbowl? I think he might be, certainly down the line if he develops as expected, he has every chance to reach that level. And if he's good to do it ever, you can't rule out the possibility that he could manage it with a very good roster around him this year, if he had to.

why would we lose him regardless next year? we can franchise him.

Really? Please explain how the Patriots do that. JG will be paid around $20 million. Havent yet seen one advocate of keeping JG break down how it is even remotely feasible to keep him w/o severely weakening the team at several key positions.

Really? Please explain how the Patriots do that. JG will be paid around $20 million. Havent yet seen one advocate of keeping JG break down how it is even remotely feasible to keep him w/o severely weakening the team at several key positions.

maybe im in the minority here. but im willing to eat $20M in cap room for 1 year to have a top notch pro bowl caliber QB for 10 years after

We thought the same thing about Bledsoe in 20o1

No. Bledsoe's shortcomings were well-known back in 2000. I know Kraft gave him that huge deal but with BB as coach, he wasn't long for the team. I mean, if BB was planning to go with Bledsoe, why carry 4 QB's on the team? Brady seemed to have come out of nowhere but he absolutely didn't. Not to BB and the coaches, that's for sure.

maybe im in the minority here. but im willing to eat $20M in cap room for 1 year to have a top notch pro bowl caliber QB for 10 years after

Whoa, whoa, whoa! Hold on!

Who says JG wants to sit on the bench of the remainder of TB's career? That's at least another 3 years. There's no way in hell that you pay a backup QB $20 mil for one year. And "Pro-bowl caliber"? The dude played 2 games before getting hurt (because he doesn't know how to fall when being tackled) and you're saying he's "Pro-bowl caliber"? Yeesh.... :rolleyes:

No. Bledsoe's shortcomings were well-known back in 2000. I know Kraft gave him that huge deal but with BB as coach, he wasn't long for the team. I mean, if BB was planning to go with Bledsoe, why carry 4 QB's on the team? Brady seemed to have come out of nowhere but he absolutely didn't. Not to BB and the coaches, that's for sure.
Your argument is correct, however, WE didn't know that at the time. We thought our playoff chances rose and fell with Bledsoe. It took the fans a little while to realize what they had in Brady if my memory serves me.

Whoa, whoa, whoa! Hold on!

Who says JG wants to sit on the bench of the remainder of TB's career? That's at least another 3 years. There's no way in hell that you pay a backup QB $20 mil for one year. And "Pro-bowl caliber"? The dude played 2 games before getting hurt (because he doesn't know how to fall when being tackled) and you're saying he's "Pro-bowl caliber"? Yeesh.... :rolleyes:

again...if you read my prior quotes. i dont know how good Jimmy is....only the patriots really know. if they know they are sitting on a guy that good, then you pay $20M for him to sit an extra year. you have to read my comments as a whole to understand my point.... at the point brady will be entering his 42 year old season, after 2 more years, the decision has to be made. obviously he doesnt want to sit. but unfortunately, for him at least, he doesnt have much of a say in the matter

again...if you read my prior quotes. i dont know how good Jimmy is....only the patriots really know. if they know they are sitting on a guy that good, then you pay $20M for him to sit an extra year. you have to read my comments as a whole to understand my point.... at the point brady will be entering his 42 year old season, after 2 more years, the decision has to be made. obviously he doesnt want to sit. but unfortunately, for him at least, he doesnt have much of a say in the matter

I know they recently legalized it in MA so I have to ask. Are you high right now?

so youre willing to go from a top defense to one that is mediocre, while also becoming WORSE offensively? So they cut hightower,butler and who knows who else? I STILL havent seen anyone breakdown how the Pats roster stays on a SB level while franchising JG-you know why-because its not possible.

so youre willing to go from a top defense to one that is mediocre, while also becoming WORSE offensively? So they cut hightower,butler and who knows who else? I STILL havent seen anyone breakdown how the Pats roster stays on a SB level while franchising JG-you know why-because its not possible.

so youre willing to sacrifice 10 more years of greatness in order to sign 1 or 2 players on defense for 1 year? i look long term, i guess im different than you

We are all talking about trading now that his value is at the peak for like a 1st and something but there's another scenario I've mentioned before that I think could happen, and that scenario is Belichick trading him mid season or at the trade deadline next year for like a 3rd round pick.

So yeah you get less value but that way, he could assess the QB situation better and the team trading for Jimmy would still get a chance at evaluating him for like 8 games and even though a full season would be ideal, it would get them a nice idea about the future with JimmyG so this shot is definitely worth a 3rd for a player that a few months before is on the conversation of a 1st rounder and some change.

Why am I bringing this possibility? I think the timing for evaluating the QB future is just horrible right now, we just came from a SB win with Brady putting up a performance for the ages and it seems unlikely he is gonna go down the hill in 2017, I think the key year here is 2018 but we all know the decision needs to come before that. So after 8 games next year BB the decision BB needs to make might be a little more clear, or not, but anyway, better than today.

I don't know about you guys, Brady played one of his best seasons ever, but missing 4 games might have helped him and I've seen a thing or 2, very minimal, that I scratched my head, like a few balls without the spin he usually puts on the ball. 2017 he is probably play like the GOAT again but 2018 is too far in the future to predict anything.

oh and i disagree with the $20M number. if you planned correctly you could tell jimmy you are tagging him after this season..so right there you and he know he will be there 2 years. instead of waiting till next season and have a $20M hit in 2018, sign him for a 2 year $25M deal. give him a litte extra to sign it, and instead of $20M in 2018, you split it to $12.5 and $12.5M over two years to ease the burden in 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back