PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The Patriots played better defensively in the 4th quarter than it seemed

Status
Not open for further replies.
He tried to make an argument. Mahomes comp %, penalties, etc. I don't fault him for that.

But I think its been concluded the 2nd 1/2 D was shredded.

Indeed, it was shredded. I think I failed with this effort at making sure there was clarity in terms of my ultimate point, which was just that they didn't look as bad as I originally thought. During the game I thought they had no chance to stop KC if they had won the toss.

I've seen a lot of people in the media and here state that the Patriots couldn't stop the Chiefs in the 4th quarter and so, had the Chiefs won the toss, they would have easily gone down the field and scored.

In reality - and trust me, I felt at the time that we couldn't stop them, either - the Patriots played well defensively in the quarter. Once you look at the drive logs, you can see what I'm saying.

Firstly, about 60 of the Chiefs around 140 yards came on penalties.

They had 5 total first downs, 3 on penalties.

They ran 16 total plays and only 6 of them actually gained yardage that wasn't penalty yardage.

Obviously there was the fumble recovery that was negated due to, again, a penalty.

Their longest play - the 38 yard pass to Watkins to set up their last touchdown - was an illegal pick play that wasn't called.

Patrick Mahomes was 4 for 14 including incompletions negated due to penalties.

I don't see - after rewatching the game and checking the numbers - how it's reasonable to conclude that the Patriots couldn't stop the Chiefs in the 4th quarter. Oh, they also forced a 3 and out on one of the Chiefs possessions.

The Patriots dominated the game and in reality - not because I'm a homer, as I'm extremely objective - the Chiefs were fortunate to be in the game. Especially considering the two turnovers by the Patriots.

I agree with what you're saying to a good degree. The defense messed up and was on the back foot, but it wasn't like they were just getting beat all over the field every play. A lot of things went right for KC in those final 4 minutes on offense that were lucky to a degree.

Last edited:
Penalties are a part of being discipline. They were not discipline in the 4th. And whether it was big plays or not, they gave up 24 points in one quarter. If the defense is going to get credit for the 1st half, they need to be held accountable for the 2nd half. BB's defense has given up 72 points in the two biggest games in the past 12 months. Not exactly a confidence booster going forward...
The Chiefs averaged 35 points a game, and the Pats held them to 31 despite getting screwed on some ticky tack calls (one of which negated a fumble recovery) as well as one of the worst non-calls on a pick play i've ever seen that led to a touchdown.

They forced the Chiefs into a ton of 3rd and longs, they generated a lot of pressure on the QB, they were screwed by a few 3rd and long penalties which extended drives, and they held the best offense in the league below their average in all categories (points, yards, TOP).

The one thing that was concerning is crumbling with 31 seconds left to let them tie. Other than that, I was very impressed with how well the Defense played, all points mentioned above considered.

I know you're a troll but I figured I'd throw in a few facts for the rest to observe and feel good about going into yet another Super Bowl.

I don't think everyone is stupid. I definitely think you are stupid. Now try and argue that the D wasn't piss poor in the 2nd half. Hmm...you can't. They stink on the road. Snd technically SB 53 is on the road.

No it isn’t.

I've seen a lot of people in the media and here state that the Patriots couldn't stop the Chiefs in the 4th quarter and so, had the Chiefs won the toss, they would have easily gone down the field and scored.

In reality - and trust me, I felt at the time that we couldn't stop them, either - the Patriots played well defensively in the quarter. Once you look at the drive logs, you can see what I'm saying.

Firstly, about 60 of the Chiefs around 140 yards came on penalties.

They had 5 total first downs, 3 on penalties.

They ran 16 total plays and only 6 of them actually gained yardage that wasn't penalty yardage.

Obviously there was the fumble recovery that was negated due to, again, a penalty.

Their longest play - the 38 yard pass to Watkins to set up their last touchdown - was an illegal pick play that wasn't called.

Patrick Mahomes was 4 for 14 including incompletions negated due to penalties.

I don't see - after rewatching the game and checking the numbers - how it's reasonable to conclude that the Patriots couldn't stop the Chiefs in the 4th quarter. Oh, they also forced a 3 and out on one of the Chiefs possessions.

The Patriots dominated the game and in reality - not because I'm a homer, as I'm extremely objective - the Chiefs were fortunate to be in the game. Especially considering the two turnovers by the Patriots.

The Patriots defense could stop them. The flags not.

I don't think everyone is stupid. I definitely think you are stupid. Now try and argue that the D wasn't piss poor in the 2nd half. Hmm...you can't. They stink on the road. Snd technically SB 53 is on the road.
LMAO the game will be about 75% pats fans, with the 25% of LA being pink hat celebrities. Super Bowls are never considered "road" games, especially this one, and they clearly don't "stink" on the road after their performance on Sunday. You're really bad at trolling, bud.

I'm still chuckling at the "i have youtube" comment in defense of your assessment of the 2001 D because you weren't old enough to remember

Penalties are a part of being discipline. They were not discipline in the 4th. And whether it was big plays or not, they gave up 24 points in one quarter. If the defense is going to get credit for the 1st half, they need to be held accountable for the 2nd half. BB's defense has given up 72 points in the two biggest games in the past 12 months. Not exactly a confidence booster going forward...

The officiating was lopsided and let the Chiefs make this game a lot closer than it otherwise would have been. Let’s not make it more than it was. The much better football team won, period.

Btw- cool it with the personal attacks.

Nah you aren't a moderator. Ill say anything I want. Now go back and do your chores before Mommy gets home.
sick-burn-bang-the-gavel.gif

You're assuming the refs didn't continue to try and hand it to KC.

fbbec1e228fbf15f82f721382469879ee0cc0bcb764419ba8aade68542997d0e.jpg

the offense got really really goofy there for awhile

The defense in the first half was Susan, but in the second half was Glenn.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes