PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The Official NFL Draft Day 2 thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reading the on going arguments and fisking going on in this thread...

troyface1.gif

Last edited:
I think a Jets poster summed this up pretty well, before he went off the deep end with the rest of his post:

Again, this guy could turn out to be the next Ed Reed. However, the bottom line is that many of the very same people who are saying "Give Tavon a chance" would be killing pretty much any other team who'd made the exact same move. Well, sauce for the goose...

You are so jaded you are blind.
The posters who are saying don't pass judgment based upon a lack of information are exactly the ones that don't go around trashing other teams moves.
There are a number of posters on this board who consistently offer opinions that they do not want to judge without taking time to see what happens. You ripped into one of them in this thread telling him he wasn't allowed to wait to find out a justification for the pick.
See, this is why you are King Dooche around here, because you want to tell everyone what they think, you want to tell everyone what the reason to post is and you want to dismiss everyone who has a differing opinion than you with comments like this.
I would bet there are none of those poster who made comments about giving him a chance who ever or at least rarely 'kill pretty much any other team' about anything.
However, you have decided that you know what those folks are thinking, and have judged them to be dishonest about the opinions they post.
You ruin the discussion on this board with your arrogance.

Apparently he was dealing with a hamstring injury all last year, and still ended up with 10 sacks...

I have no idea if that is true..

Arkansas fan here. I think most of the insight on Bequette has been pretty good and there's not much that hasn't been covered.

He got hurt the second game of the season and missed the next three. He played a little it in the Auburn game but essentially that was his fourth missed game. He then went on to tally nine more sacks in the final seven games while never being quite 100%. He was probably looking at a 12-15 sack season had he never been injured.

As for the "character" issues (which has been covered) that's as big of a shock to me as any other Arkansas fan. With Mallett we could sort of understand it, even if some of it was fabricated, but you could still see where there might be some questions about his character. With Bequette, though, that one is just a big shocker. I mean he's one of the last kids on the team you'd expect to hear about getting in trouble or being a cancer in the locker room.

Take a second to read this story and see if you still have any concerns about Jake as a person.

To tell you the story of how Arkansas Razorback Jake Bequette touched the lives of a Saline County family by simply drawing a number on his standard issue wrist bands, one must rewind the clock just two short weeks. For three generations of the Carpenter family, those weeks have seemed like an eternity.

Razorback Defensive End Keeps Haskell Child’s Memory Alive*|*247 Saline

Last edited:
Arkansas fan here. I think most of the insight on Bequette has been pretty good and there's not much that hasn't been covered.

He got hurt the second game of the season and missed the next three. He played a little it in the Auburn game but essentially that was his fourth missed game. He then went on to tally nine more sacks in the final seven games while never being quite 100%. He was probably looking at a 12-15 sack season had he never been injured.

As for the "character" issues (which has been covered) that's as big of a shock to me as any other Arkansas fan. With Mallett we could sort of understand it, even if some of it was fabricated, but you could still see where there might be some questions about his character. With Bequette, though, that one is just a big shocker. I mean he's one of the last kids on the team you'd expect to hear about getting in trouble or being a cancer in the locker room.

Take a second to read this story and see if you still have any concerns about Jake as a person.

Razorback Defensive End Keeps Haskell Child’s Memory Alive*|*247 Saline

Nice, thanks for the insight N.O on Bequette. Seems like a great kid...

..Just for kicks, what are your thoughts on Mallet??

Last edited:
Nice, thanks for the insight N.O on Bequette. Seems like a great kid...

..Just for kicks, what are your thoughts on Mallet??

I think some of the off the field issues are warranted but I also think some of it was overreaction. I personally can see and understand the ****iness issues but that can also be a good thing in a QB if it's limited. As for the other things, I'll put it this way. Arkansas sports is all we have. There's no professional sports teams or another major college to take away attention from the University of Arkansas. When any kind of drama is happening at the school the news spreads like wildfire. In his three years here not once did we hear anything about Mallett having drug problems. I just think, had Mallett been struggling with something as serious as "hard" drug use, it would have leaked at some point in those three years. But like everyone else Arkansas fans were hearing about it for the first time in the months leading up to the draft like everyone else.

As for his actual playing ability, I still think he is/was the second best QB from the 2011 draft. Even leading up the draft last year I would have argued that he would be a better NFL QB than Cam Newton. Obviously I may have been wrong in that assumption but I still think he can be better than the other QBs drafted ahead of him.

There's not a throw he can't make and, when you factor in the numbers he put up in the SEC as a two year starter, it's still baffling to me how guys like Ponder, Gabbert, and Locker can go so high while Mallett is drafted in the 3rd round. Then you throw in the fact that he was coming from Bobby Petrino's complex pro-style offense and you've got a kid ready made for the NFL. It's all speculation but I think had he gone in the 1st round and started from day one, he would have done very well for a rookie QB.

I don't think I've ever seen a QB be so criticized for a few bad interceptions. Sure the pick he threw at the end of the Alabama game as a sophomore in 2010 and the pick he threw at the end of the Sugar Bowl against Ohio State in 2011 were bad. But every QB has thrown some untimely interceptions in crucial moments of a big game. Bottomline is that I think he was a 1st round talent that fell to the 3rd round due to some alleged off the field issues.

Theres no way you and I not being in the draft rooms and being privy to information would know whether or nor he could be had with a later pick. If the Pats had him as the top rated safety on the board whos to say another team didnt
First i love the rest of the draft picks so far. I hear the same thing Every year we don't know what they know. Theres a reason for that, because every year we take a player in the higher rounds that seems like a real reach, that said player could be had much later, that the 2nd or 3rd rnd pick Should have brought much greater value. These are just the D backs that haven't worked out, some were reaches some weren't. It shows how many high round picks have been used for the Defensive backfield with poor results

T Wheatly 2nd

J Wilhight 3rd

Darious Butler 2nd.... should have gone here, but shows the difficulty this team has picking DBacks

B Merriweather 1st same as D Butler

Ras I Dowling 2nd rnd is working his way onto this list

Guss Scott..3rd rnd

Eugene Wilson 2nd rnd... had a good year once

Dexter Reid 4th rnd

Brock Williams...3rd rnd

Last edited:
I think some of the off the field issues are warranted but I also think some of it was overreaction. I personally can see and understand the ****iness issues but that can also be a good thing in a QB if it's limited. As for the other things, I'll put it this way. Arkansas sports is all we have. There's no professional sports teams or another major college to take away attention from the University of Arkansas. When any kind of drama is happening at the school the news spreads like wildfire. In his three years here not once did we hear anything about Mallett having drug problems. I just think, had Mallett been struggling with something as serious as "hard" drug use, it would have leaked at some point in those three years. But like everyone else Arkansas fans were hearing about it for the first time in the months leading up to the draft like everyone else.

As for his actual playing ability, I still think he is/was the second best QB from the 2011 draft. Even leading up the draft last year I would have argued that he would be a better NFL QB than Cam Newton. Obviously I may have been wrong in that assumption but I still think he can be better than the other QBs drafted ahead of him.

There's not a throw he can't make and, when you factor in the numbers he put up in the SEC as a two year starter, it's still baffling to me how guys like Ponder, Gabbert, and Locker can go so high while Mallett is drafted in the 3rd round. Then you throw in the fact that he was coming from Bobby Petrino's complex pro-style offense and you've got a kid ready made for the NFL. It's all speculation but I think had he gone in the 1st round and started from day one, he would have done very well for a rookie QB.

I don't think I've ever seen a QB be so criticized for a few bad interceptions. Sure the pick he threw at the end of the Alabama game as a sophomore in 2010 and the pick he threw at the end of the Sugar Bowl against Ohio State in 2011 were bad. But every QB has thrown some untimely interceptions in crucial moments of a big game. Bottomline is that I think he was a 1st round talent that fell to the 3rd round due to some alleged off the field issues.

Thanks N.O great stuff. Mallet was awful with the media coming out of college, and that did not help him.

But I agree, mos-def a better prospect then Ponder,Locker and Gabbert. We got a steal with Mallet.

Tho I have to say, I am a little shocked about you not hearing about the drugs.

Now to be fair, my first hearing about it was from my disgruntled friend from Michigan. Which makes me think most of the rumours came from Michigan. So I am starting to believe Mallet partied at Michigan not so much at Aarkansas..

Any way thanks for the insight N.O best of luck to your program down there in Aarkansas. After that mess with Petrino and his, er' assistant. Hope you guys keep it moving..

Last edited:
Bequette's the first pick I like.

I missed most of the action last night so just catching up.

Wilson pick doesn't thrill me but I have to believe the Patriots saw something in him. BB wouldn't just pick someone to annoy the Kipers of the world. Would he?

Bequette -- looks like he could be a find. Guy seems to play with some intensity .. .speed and power. Just the type of guy who could unleash some 30-yard sacks on Tebow.

Since this is the general Day 2 thread — as opposed to the Pats Day 2 thread, and despite this one apparently being all Pats talk — I wanted to mention my surprise at the Colts picks. What happened? I thought they were going to go all Ravens and toughen up on D? So they pick a QB, two TEs and a WR? Sounds to me like somebody's trying to duplicate the past.

First i love the rest of the draft picks so far. I hear the same thing Every year we don't know what they know. Theres a reason for that, because every year we take a player in the higher rounds that seems like a real reach, that said player could be had much later, that the 2nd or 3rd rnd pick Should have brought much greater value. These are just the D backs that haven't worked out, some were reaches some weren't. It shows how many high round picks have been used for the Defensive backfield with poor results

T Wheatly 2nd

J Wilhight 3rd

Darious Butler 2nd.... should have gone here, but shows the difficulty this team has picking DBacks

B Merriweather 1st same as D Butler

Ras I Dowling 2nd rnd is working his way onto this list

Guss Scott..3rd rnd

Eugene Wilson 2nd rnd... had a good year once

Dexter Reid 4th rnd

Brock Williams...3rd rnd
The point cannot be stressed enough. Despite the greatest QB to ever play the game and the greatest defensive-minded coach in the NFL's history, we can't win the SB because we can't draft defensive players outside of the first round.

Our record with DBs is poor. It's time to hold people accountable. Not to disparage, but let the facts speak.

So when a Tavon Wilson is picked at 48--and I was catching grief for promoting Bruce Irvin at 31--the groupies come together for a group hug as we catch a ride with Thelma and Louise off the cliff.

This is the Jeff Lageman pick of the second round. We loved making fun of the Jets that year, assuming the posters were alive then, but now it's "Belichick We Trust."

Robert Kraft is watching. If Glass IR Dowling does his swan dive and Tavon Wilson disappears like the volleyball, you might start hearing rumors of a GM coming in to handle player acquisitions like it's done with the vast majority of the other teams in the NFL.

The point cannot be stressed enough. Despite the greatest QB to ever play the game and the greatest defensive-minded coach in the NFL's history, we can't win the SB because we can't draft defensive players outside of the first round.

Our record with DBs is poor. It's time to hold people accountable. Not to disparage, but let the facts speak.

So when a Tavon Wilson is picked at 48--and I was catching grief for promoting Bruce Irvin at 31--the groupies come together for a group hug as we catch a ride with Thelma and Louise off the cliff.

This is the Jeff Lageman pick of the second round. We loved making fun of the Jets that year, assuming the posters were alive then, but now it's "Belichick We Trust."

Robert Kraft is watching. If Glass IR Dowling does his swan dive and Tavon Wilson disappears like the volleyball, you might start hearing rumors of a GM coming in to handle player acquisitions like it's done with the vast majority of the other teams in the NFL.[/QUOTE]

They just went to the Super Bowl for the 5th time in 11 years! Fortunatley the people running things down in Foxboro know what they're doing and dont make rash decisions if a second round pick isnt popular with the message board posters. How they do on the field every Sunday is how this team is judged.

The point cannot be stressed enough. Despite the greatest QB to ever play the game and the greatest defensive-minded coach in the NFL's history, we can't win the SB because we can't draft defensive players outside of the first round...

This is the Jeff Lageman pick of the second round. We loved making fun of the Jets that year, assuming the posters were alive then, but now it's "Belichick We Trust."...

Robert Kraft is watching. If Glass IR Dowling does his swan dive and Tavon Wilson disappears like the volleyball, you might start hearing rumors of a GM coming in to handle player acquisitions like it's done with the vast majority of the other teams in the NFL.

You're making lots of good points, and even most of us, um, "groupies" have to admit a high degree of uneasiness with the Wilson pick.

And there are definitely some frustrating moments in this teams recent history. Let's face it, the sight of the opposing team marching down the field, unstoppable by the Pats defense, has been all too common here, starting with the AFCCG against the Colts. Heck, even Joe Flacco came thisclose this year.

But the IBWT bit, for many fans, has been earned by the relative recent success of this franchise. Every team has holes and every fanbase can point to where those holes cut their teams' season short. But what this franchise has been able to do this millennium, year in and year, has been extremely impressive, both within the context of the league and the Pats' prior history. Those recent frustrating losses have come in games that many franchises can only dream of playing in.

As for Kraft watching, of course he is. Yeah, you might hear rumors in the scenarios you describe, but they're not going to bring in a GM while BB is here and winning. Remember, this team's mission statement is to compete for a championship on a consistent basis; by that measure, it's hard to conclude Kraft is frustrated with Belichick on a professional level.

All that said ...man, Wilson better pan out. ;)

Last edited:
I missed most of the action last night so just catching up.

Wilson pick doesn't thrill me but I have to believe the Patriots saw something in him. BB wouldn't just pick someone to annoy the Kipers of the world. Would he?

Bequette -- looks like he could be a find. Guy seems to play with some intensity .. .speed and power. Just the type of guy who could unleash some 30-yard sacks on Tebow.

Since this is the general Day 2 thread — as opposed to the Pats Day 2 thread, and despite this one apparently being all Pats talk — I wanted to mention my surprise at the Colts picks. What happened? I thought they were going to go all Ravens and toughen up on D? So they pick a QB, two TEs and a WR? Sounds to me like somebody's trying to duplicate the past.

I actually like what the Colts have done. Rome wasn't built in a day and that team certainly can't be fixed on one draft alone. So they're giving their franchise guy an offense he's very familiar with to ease his adjustment into the NFL (the 2xTE's).

I expect them to go heavy on defense next year.

I saw this elsewhere.

Jamell Fleming, selected 80th overall, is the only Big 12 defensive player selected in the draft so far. No wonder RGIII had a good year.

He did not get invited to the combo so all the media types dropped him. He did have private workouts with the Pros and the Patriots picked where they felt he belonged. It seems others may have been interested as well. Too many people base their opinions on the media who are not professionals. Would you rather get your diagnosis from Web MD with this board as backup or go in and see the folks at Mass General.

The media types did not drop him because he did not get invited to the combine. Many players who don't get invited rise and get a lot of interest prior to the draft (Brooks of Miami OH for example). He was dropped because.........he wasn't good. And I haven't seen any reports that anyone was actually interested in him.

This pick is the Carter and Williams pick of last year, only they were picked where they should have been picked (though still probably overdrafted).

Last edited:
Don Banks at SI:

• In the can't-make-this-up department, one thing the Rams' two rookie cornerbacks have in common is that both Janoris Jenkins and Trumaine Johnson have had the experience of being tasered by police in the not too distant past.
Jenkins was tasered as part of his arrest in a 2009 bar fight, and Johnson was tasered by police in Montana last October, in an alcohol-related incident that occurred at an on-campus party.
That should make for some interesting first-day conversation between the newbies at Rams mini-camp. I guess after you've been "tased, bro,'' getting beat in coverage doesn't sting quite so badly.

Sounds like a dream combo for Fisher.

Last edited:
Greg Bedard tweets that he sees Bequette as a taller Mike Wright type ... and likely to get more playing time this year than Ch. Jones.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes