PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The Official Laugh at the Steelers Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I expect the game to be somewhat close at the half before the Pats pull away in the 3rd. I don’t think the Pats will be taking the ball if they win the coin toss either.
I think that it would be best for the Pats to defer, kind of see how it goes on the initial drives. I would prefer not to have a three and out to start and not get the ball to start the second half. I think we have a better chance scoring in the second half rather than the first drive.

Jagoffs have only beat 1 team with a winning record- The Squealers. Tennessee is beeter than the Jags. Over before 4th quarter.

Steelers: 13-3
Ravens: 9-7
Chargers: 9-7
Seahawks: 9-7
Bills: 9-7
Steelers (again): 13-3

Jacksonville defense has faced
Jacoby brisset
Jacoby brisset
Tom savage
Tj Yates
Deshone Kiser
Marcus Mariota
Marcus Mariota
Josh McCown
Joe flacco
Andy Dalton

In 10 of their 16 games. They lost 3 of those games.
They allowed 25 ppg in the other 6. One of those 6 was Pittsburgh that was 9 points bringing the average down from 28 to 25 and they allowed 42 to them today.

I've been saying similar things all along. The Jags have a good defense, but it's not as good as the Giants front four (Strahan) back in the day and shouldn't even be talked about next to the Seahawks, Bears, Ravens. They've got players (and Bouye has a form hold of the shirt of whomever he's covering throughout the entire f***ing route), but this isn't the patched-together Patriots they're playing.

The Jags match up, theoretically - their D against our O, but so did the Titans. How'd that work.

I have to agree that the Steelers would be more likely to come in and win here, though I don't think that would happen, either.

I've watched several Jags games this year. Their competition was pathetic - only decent team in their division was TN, who beat them twice. They played the NFC West and got pounded by only good team out there, and got pounded by San Fran for good measure. By the time they played Seattle, the team was devastated by injuries.

They played the AFC North, which really wasn't very good at all this year, particularly offensively (other than Pitt).

I never take a game lightly - any given Sunday - but if the Patriots just do what the Patriots do, they should win Sunday.

I've been saying similar things all along. The Jags have a good defense, but it's not as good as the Giants front four (Strahan) back in the day and shouldn't even be talked about next to the Seahawks, Bears, Ravens. They've got players (and Bouye has a form hold of the shirt of whomever he's covering throughout the entire f***ing route), but this isn't the patched-together Patriots they're playing.

The Jags match up, theoretically - their D against our O, but so did the Titans. How'd that work.

I have to agree that the Steelers would be more likely to come in and win here, though I don't think that would happen, either.

I've watched several Jags games this year. Their competition was pathetic - only decent team in their division was TN, who beat them twice. They played the NFC West and got pounded by only good team out there, and got pounded by San Fran for good measure. By the time they played Seattle, the team was devastated by injuries.

They played the AFC North, which really wasn't very good at all this year, particularly offensively (other than Pitt).

I never take a game lightly - any given Sunday - but if the Patriots just do what the Patriots do, they should win Sunday.
I also forgot to list Blaine gabbart. Add tyrod in the playoffs and that is 12 of 18 games against horrible QBs.
Not sure how those games translate when you face tom freakin brady.

Also this 4 man rush had more than half its sacks against Houston and Indy. They had 27 in their other 12 games. About the same as the patriots 40 in 15 games against nothoustonorindy

No to metion Brady had zero pocket escapability back before about 2014. He was great at sliding in the p0cket, but never really was able to get out of the pocket and throw on the run. Today, he can throw a football on a dime 10 - 15 yards away, across his body, while running and falling down. If Brady of 07 had the movement skillsets of Brady today, that game would have been a blowout.

So for everyone concered about the 4 D-lineman that can rush the passer effectively while dropping into heavy man coverage and flooding the middle of the field, that was Seattle and Atlanta. They were able to contain Brady for a bit, but that Giants type Defense is never going to keep Brady down for the entire game again.

Additionally, he has had 8-10 years to disect what the Giants did to him. Why do you think he has been working on these different aspects of his game, how to fall down, how to throw on the run, how to throw while running and falling down apparently. I'm sorry, the Jags may be able to gameplan against him Defensively for a couple of quarters, but he's seen it all before, once their D-alignments and strategy become clear to Brady, it's over for the Jags. They don't have the ponies on offense to get that far ahead. The only reason they got up on the Steelers like that is because of the turnovers (including two stuffed 4th down attempts) which gave the Jags lots of good field position, defensive scores and the Steelers inability to stop the run.

Keep a spy on Bortles, stop the run, and force him to beat you with his arm, not going to happen.

I would say if they play a completely mistake free game and have some sucess moving the ball maybe they hang in there and lose 23-17 or something like that. Now if Bortles makes any mistakes or the Pats generate any turnovers it could get ugly. I'm struggling to see how the Jags move the ball. The Pats run D has been stout and their pass rush is also impressive and improving.

I'm impressed too. "And improving" - if we take the Tennessee game as a benchmark - might be a little off, semantically speaking. I don't expect equal production against Jax. That said, if the Pats get half that pass-rush production, it could be a very ugly game. At the same time, if they get to Brady 10 times - as they did twice in 17, to ahem other QBs - it could be ugly another way.

I've sworn off listing players I like and their abilities or details of scheme week to week, and declaring what will happen Sunday. (Although I still unsuccessfully participate in the "predict the score" thread). That doesn't mean you shouldn't, I'm just bad at it.

But I saw somebody earlier saying Pittsburgh's D is "better than that." Or maybe they were talking about Jax's D. Who knows. Well, no they weren't. The game showed exactly how they played that game.

It's useless to say a team is good or bad at X, Y, or Z, then "curve-fitting" actual experience that matters to one's description, right?

This game coming up, we're exactly as good as we are in this game coming up. We're not "better than" a non-optimal outcome. If we put up 40 it's not a "fluke."

What we do in the game is exactly the correct answer for that specific game.

But that doesn't let us talk about anything between now and then.

Let me come down off my philosophical high horse, and ask, if any stat line is an outlier this weekend, according to your view of the Pats/Jaguars characteristics (probably similar to mine)... will you really be surprised?

For example, the run D has been stout and I love - to date - what Harrison adds on the edge. Okay. But if Jax has a 100 yard rusher will you say "OMG who saw that coming?" I wouldn't. If we get gouged for 150... big let-down, given expectations, but is that really an impossible outcome? If Bortles throws 3 TDs - yes, against our vaunted secondary (lately, vaunted for good reason) - is that really an unbelievable outlier? And if Brady throws for 1 TD, that's unusual, but would you really say "OMG that has never happened before..."

And bear in mind, in saying this, TFB showed vs. Tenn. he's still the best in the game. I'm not riding the recent statistically average stretch. I'm just saying, I can imagine all sorts of paths to an uncharacteristic outcome, and I hope that the Pats are doing the work to make them not happen. They tend to be good at that.

That's a long long way to say, that's why they play the games.

goddammit is it next week yet?!?!?!?!?!?

I don’t know if it’s just coaching. My take is this. I think they have too many prima donas , they aren’t prepared correctly. There’s a general lack of discipline. Too many clock management mistakes. Lack of focus and too much arrogance that’s kind of unwarranted. Beyond that they are a good team.

They probably have the most talented roster on offense in the league, with Big Ben, AB, Bell, and the others. Obviously I'm not saying that Ben is a better QB than Brady, but overall, imagine if you had Brady and he was throwing to that same receiving corps. It would probably be like 2007 all over again.

The issue is exactly above, the coaches don't prepare them well, they don't instill discipline, and their in game management is woeful at times. What carries that team is the pure talent. Unfortunately, for them, no depth either. They've invested too much in their top players and they don't have a plan for when a guy goes down.

BB on Weei now...already breaking down the Jags...for someone that “hasent had time to look at it yet” he is pretty much into it. He is clearly focused on the pass rush right now and knowing that trying to get running plays on the outside might be futile. But his preparation is already in gear for sure.

Without having examined every contract situation, according to SportsCap the Squealers have $2.9m in cap space. Clearly there will be some cutting and re-doing of deals but they are going to need to figure out a way to keep Bell happy.

I expect the game to be somewhat close at the half before the Pats pull away in the 3rd. I don’t think the Pats will be taking the ball if they win the coin toss either.
The reason Bill takes the ball in those circumstances is because he's very muh aware of what the wind can do at that stadium and in an important game he wants to be able to control which direction he has to go in the fourth quarter.

Understood .. the difference is I am right.
Pretty sure the Steelers thought that too. Fortunately, you don't play for the Pats.

Pretty sure the Steelers thought that too. Fortunately, you don't play for the Pats.
I agree that the pats won't take them lightly. But I KNOW and I am simply informing you, that the Pats will crush them. LOL

I was clearly talking about winning or losing.

Then your definition of "matching up" needs work. Matching up well or matching up better than another team =/= winning the game. Further, the only mention I've made about winning or losing this game has been me saying the following:

1. I expect the Pats to win by at least 10 points.

2. I expect the game to be somewhat close by the half until the Pats pull away in the third quarter.

There is no blueprint but that’s a different topic.

Sure there is. Unless you would like to explain to me how the 2007 Giants, 2010 Jets, 2011 Giants, and 2015 Broncos were all able to slow New England's offense down (some of them in spite of massive question marks at the quarterback position).

If you seriously think bortles today, afraid to try to throw to open receivers,

I didn't see that as being the case yesterday, which should tell you all you need to know about how Pittsburgh was going to be able to match up on defense with the Pats had they made it. If you saw it, please point out the quarter and time in which receivers were open and he didn't make the throw out of fear.

is better prepared to play against the patriot defense than Eli was after having played them and put up 35 in week 17 then won 3 playoff games in a row, probably at the peak of his confidence lets just not talk football with each other.

Eli also only put up 17 on the Patriots in 2007. Again, he rode his defensive line and their constant pressure of Brady while being able to dedicate 7 to coverage in obvious passing situations, to the W in that game. This goes back to my original point.

They present an easier matchup because they are impotent on offense and B.B. will exploit it.

Yes. Offensively is where they will lose this game. Especially with Fournette gimpy. I've said as much. The Steelers may have done a bit more on offense, but Big Ben's history outside of Heinz Field should be considered. I'm also not sure how much time he would have even had on the field as I expect Brady to have been capable of posting 40-50 points on a defense that just allowed a Blake Bortles offense, who spent a half without a healthy Fournette, to ring up 38 points on them.

Defensively, the Jaguars match up much better with the Patriots than the Steelers do. That point cannot even be debated.

Pittsburgh was a routine catch from beating us. That is a bigger threat than Jacksonville, and that’s not even debatable. But in 6 days we will know. If Jacksonville is inside our 10 with a chance to win or bets us you were right. When the game is a much easier win that Pittsburgh was I will be.

Pittsburgh also treated that as their Super Bowl, had a DC that admitted he spent an entire offseason watching tape of Brady and designing coverages to beat him, and were also playing a New England team without Hogan, Branch, and Van Noy... at home. All three would have been back for a rematch going against a Pittsburgh defense that had trouble stopping the run... at Foxboro. That's a death wish against Brady and the Patriots. The second meeting would have been an ass kicking.

I also lol at you comparing the result of whatever happens this weekend with the regular season Steelers game. You realize that logic could easily be turned on its face by saying the Jags beat the Steelers worse than we did and did it twice, so therefore they're a bigger threat to the Pats than the Steelers would have been... correct?

Then your definition of "matching up" needs work. Matching up well or matching up better than another team =/= winning the game.

My definition of matching up is fine. I feel the team matches up better against a team it is more likely to beat. I can’t imagine a definition that would mean more than that.

Further, the only mention I've made about winning or losing this game has been me saying the following:

1. I expect the Pats to win by at least 10 points.

2. I expect the game to be somewhat close by the half until the Pats pull away in the third quarter.
You are the one who objected to my comments to begin with and my comments were about winning and losing.

Sure there is. Unless you would like to explain to me how the 2007 Giants, 2010 Jets, 2011 Giants, and 2015 Broncos were all able to slow New England's offense down (some of them in spite of massive question marks at the quarterback position).
Because they were good defenses. Every offense doesn’t do as well against good defenses as bad defenses. If you consider “have a good defense” to be the blueprint of how to play good defense ok but I don’t get the point.

I didn't see that as being the case yesterday, which should tell you all you need to know about how Pittsburgh was going to be able to match up on defense with the Pats had they made it. If you saw it, please point out the quarter and time in which receivers were open and he didn't make the throw out of fear.
It happened all game. I’m not going back to watch film to give you the plays. Feel free to do that yourself. I saw it live I don’t need to see it again to know it happened.

Eli also only put up 17 on the Patriots in 2007.
He put up 35 in week 17.

Again, he rode his defensive line and their constant pressure of Brady while being able to dedicate 7 to coverage in obvious passing situations, to the W in that game. This goes back to my original point.
Bortles wouldn’t have made the plays Eli did in that game.

Yes. Offensively is where they will lose this game. Especially with Fournette gimpy. I've said as much. The Steelers may have done a bit more on offense, but Big Ben's history outside of Heinz Field should be considered. I'm also not sure how much time he would have even had on the field as I expect Brady to have been capable of posting 40-50 points on a defense that just allowed a Blake Bortles offense, who spent a half without a healthy Fournette, to ring up 38 points on them.
Pittsburgh has put up points against us consistently. They had us beaten if they make a routine catch a month ago. You act like they are the Browns only because it supports your argument.

Defensively, the Jaguars match up much better with the Patriots than the Steelers do. That point cannot even be debated.
It never was.
Offensively the Steelers are 10 times more dangerous. That cannot he debated

Pittsburgh also treated that as their Super Bowl, had a DC that admitted he spent an entire offseason watching tape of Brady and designing coverages to beat him, and were also playing a New England team without Hogan, Branch, and Van Noy... at home. All three would have been back for a rematch going against a Pittsburgh defense that had trouble stopping the run... at Foxboro. That's a death wish against Brady and the Patriots. The second meeting would have been an ass kicking.
Your unsupported opinion.

I also lol at you comparing the result of whatever happens this weekend with the regular season Steelers game. You realize that logic could easily be turned on its face by saying the Jags beat the Steelers worse than we did and did it twice, so therefore they're a bigger threat to the Pats than the Steelers would have been... correct?
With that you have totally clowned your argument and I am through.
Say whatever you want I have no interest in your views on this any longer.

edit. moving to a more appropriate thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye