PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

**The official Day 3 Patriots Draft Thread**

Status
Not open for further replies.
He looks kind of skinny to me. Didn't we already try the fast, jumps high skinny kid at OLB? How did that work out?

He looks kind of skinny to me. Didn't we already try the fast, jumps high skinny kid at OLB? How did that work out?

The Jets scooped him up...

So with that scenario, if Carter shows raw potential, then I'd definitely rather keep him at the end of the roster than one of the vets who may have already topped out. Especially when, going back to your earlier point, other teams have a tendency to grabbing up young players the Pats cut.

Markell is the real deal. He will be better than anybody. Tell'em BK!

True dat, they only produce about 20% of the wine in the world. :rolleyes:

They sure have lot to whine about. Lousy economy, a president who's a creepy old playboy and their national soccer team is on a steady decline.

I wouldn't expect you to understand sarcasm, Maehl was projected to be a late round pick at best. This is the same level of intelligence that bashed anyone who wanted Maroney gone.

Oh, right. Because the sarcasm in your post was entirely obvious.

You keep bringing up Maroney, but then again you declared last year's draft a failure after the McCourty selection. So, really, you can go ahead, spare me, and return to your regularly scheduled whining.

I really wish we could sign undrafted players. We could seriously use a few extra tight ends, cornerbacks and running backs. Maybe even a quarterback.

Kiwanuka: 23.5 sacks in 5 years
Lawson: 14.5 sacks in 5 years
Moss: 4.5 sacks in 4 years
Roth: 20 sacks in 6 years
Edwards: plays in a 4-3
Carpenter: 3.5 sacks in 5 years
Barnes: 9.5 sacks in 4 years
Moses: 3.5 sacks in 4 years

That list does not answer my question. Well, it does, but it answers it in a way that makes my point. There's not much out there if you're looking to pressure the QB with a 3-4 OLB. That is why you look to the draft.

Where's the list of guys taken in the 3rd round that can contribute this year? You still haven't posted it.

You and all of the other OLB whiners keep making it as though there was some instant fix available in the 3rd round. Let me give you a little hint, any immediate pass rushing upgrade would have been drafted by someone in the first round, like Von Miller.

On the other hand, each one of those guys (and other vets) I posted could play a role situationally or give us depth at the worst and contribute to the team this year to help with the pass rush or in the running game. Any OLB drafted in the 3rd round or later most likely would not have made a contribution this year, which means people would have started to label them as a bust if there wasn't any improvement to the pass rush.

Even if you take a guy who needs a year to develop, you haven't lost anything because, based upon their career history, the alternatives weren't going to get the job done.

Keep spinning. It's fun to read.

So basically you're now saying that they should've drafted a developmental player high so that you have something to complain about all season because he won't help the pass rush improve until the following year. Actually you would also have had the opportunity to complain about the running game too since your strategy would not have addressed those needs either.

Where's the list of guys taken in the 3rd round that can contribute this year? You still haven't posted it.

You and all of the other OLB whiners keep making it as though there was some instant fix available in the 3rd round. Let me give you a little hint, any immediate pass rushing upgrade would have been drafted by someone in the first round, like Von Miller.

On the other hand, each one of those guys (and other vets) I posted could play a role situationally or give us depth at the worst and contribute to the team this year to help with the pass rush or in the running game. Any OLB drafted in the 3rd round or later most likely would not have made a contribution this year, which means people would have started to label them as a bust if there wasn't any improvement to the pass rush.

So basically you're now saying that they should've drafted a developmental player high so that you have something to complain about all season because he won't help the pass rush improve until the following year. Actually you would also have had the opportunity to complain about the running game too since your strategy would not have addressed those needs either.

You seem to be missing the obvious here, but I'll try again.

1.) I don't buy the 3rd round argument. With picks at 17, 28 and 33, this team could have been taking OL/DE/OLB high in the draft, and didn't need to wait until round 3.

2.) Even going with your pretense, it doesn't matter WHICH player you talk about in round 3, because your argument about what's out there sucks, as I demonstrated when you listed your names.

Also, regarding the developmental players, feel free to go back and look at my posts on Cunningham during the season, and also to look at what I wrote about Spikes with regards to the passing game.

Last edited:
Why is it not surprising that while BB has everyone going WTF the Chiefs had yet another awesome draft?

Why is it not surprising that while BB has everyone going WTF the Chiefs had yet another awesome draft?

Ah yes, a wtf draft like last year which produced an all pro, a rookie TE who set a new NFL record and a further 4 starters? What a terrible draft that was.

And how can you possibly call the Chiefs draft this year awesome when these kids have yet to play a snap in NFL, and none of them are even signed to the teams.

Before commenting on how good/bad/wtf the draft is wait until you see them play.

I am amazed no one gave mark herzlich a shot, he was a top 15 a few years ago.

Ah yes, a wtf draft like last year which produced an all pro, a rookie TE who set a new NFL record and a further 4 starters? What a terrible draft that was.

And how can you possibly call the Chiefs draft this year awesome when these kids have yet to play a snap in NFL, and none of them are even signed to the teams.

Before commenting on how good/bad/wtf the draft is wait until you see them play.

I suppose that is the opinion of that super NFL GM Mel Kieper.

Deus Irae;2537917I love the people now defending the RB picks. When I was posting about team needs for the draft (OG said:
Unless you can show where THIS poster made that comment, then this is total BS and you know it.
You cannot say his argument is invalid because someone you argued with in the past said something different. You know better than that, and you.ve been caught.

Wow, I'm having a hard time understanding that people are still arguing the Patriots could have taken pass rushers at 17/28/33.

Solder was not going to last that long. He fills a need. Top LTs are not available usually past 10. Who knows when the Patriots would have been able to grab one of these guys again?

The only two guys that fit for the Patriots at 28 were Wilkerson or Heyward. I have posted many times that I've watched a LOT of Wilkerson and I think he is a soft player who get locked up easily. Great speed, great size, but he plays soft. Guards who went undrafted handled him like a rag doll. I posted links on ESPN3 today to entire games he played against BCS competition. Not good. Admittedly, he looked great against inferior MAC competition.

Heyward I liked, but none of us here even know if the Patriots had him on the board given his history of loafing.

So I guess that means Jabal Sheard and Brooks Reed were the two at 33.

Again, no one knows how the Patriots had these guys rated. Last year, Dowling was projected as a top 10 pick, higher than Amukamara. He played two games and fell into the second round. If the Patriots had him rated that highly, how could you neglect to pick him there and take a Reed instead who some had as a third or fourth round value?

You seem to be missing the obvious here, but I'll try again.

1.) I don't buy the 3rd round argument. With picks at 17, 28 and 33, this team could have been taking OL/DE/OLB high in the draft, and didn't need to wait until round 3.

2.) Even going with your pretense, it doesn't matter WHICH player you talk about in round 3, because your argument about what's out there sucks, as I demonstrated when you listed your names.

Also, regarding the developmental players, feel free to go back and look at my posts on Cunningham during the season, and also to look at what I wrote about Spikes with regards to the passing game.

How does my argument about what's out there suck? If you want instant help with the pass rush, the best way to do it would be to grab a FA OLB. Doing so would allow you to use your early draft picks to fill holes at other positions and then grab a developmental rusher late that may need a year or two. There are clearly players experienced in the 3-4 that are FA's that can help either situationally or potentially be a steal. I even gave you a list of some potential targets, but you dismissed that they all suck because of their career sacks totals (even though we all know QB pressures/hurries are more important than sacks). I come to remember a little known backup for the Steelers that came to NE in 2001 that didn't have a bunch of sacks. How did that work out?

Your argument was that its ridiculous that pass rushing help wasn't drafted as you believed that it was the most pressing need the coming season. I then asked you to provide a list of players that were available to the Pats that could have instantly helped, but you couldn't do it. Then you made the comment that it would be okay to take a player who may need a year to develop. However, if he would need a year to develop, then the pass rush wouldn't be helped this year. So what is it? Do you want pass rushing help this year, or do you want a developmental player that could help fix it in the future? Because if it is latter, then the Patriots did it in round 6 with Carter. If you wanted the former, then you would be pushing for a FA since you yourself said a pass rusher that is drafted may need a year or two to develop.

So you seem to obviously be changing your tune constantly because your argument sucks.

Btw I'm still waiting on that list of players in the draft who fit the Pats mold for OLB and were guaranteed to contribute this season that were available to the Pats.

I'm hoping that the Patriots have interest in Herzlich and that he wants to stay in the area. Both Tedy and Willie have endorsed him.

i hope too; let' seee

Kiwanuka: 23.5 sacks in 5 years
Lawson: 14.5 sacks in 5 years
Moss: 4.5 sacks in 4 years
Roth: 20 sacks in 6 years
Edwards: plays in a 4-3
Carpenter: 3.5 sacks in 5 years
Barnes: 9.5 sacks in 4 years
Moses: 3.5 sacks in 4 years

Interesting list, if i'm not mistaken most were players pat fans wanted to address the pass rush in previous drafts but Belichik deemed other players and positions more worthy over them. Maybe Belichik is right to take players with higher grades over the binkies of Patriot fans?

Just curious---What were you saying about the McCourty pick last draft?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back