PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

**The official Day 3 Patriots Draft Thread**

Status
Not open for further replies.
AHHH the perfect way to cap this crappy draft, ANOTHER CORNERBACK!!!!!!!

How can you call this a crappy draft...

There's another way to address the pass rush and that is called trades with other teams. Obviously they cant do that now but eventually they can.

1. Total remake at RB- BJGE is NOT going over 1000 yards again next year. Woodhead isn't going to be as special as he was last year. We now cover a compass with those two running backs.

2. Dowling could be a great player. Huge corner. Those are hard to find.

3. Mallet/hoyer is trade bait down the line

4. Our line is sured up for a good while now. What would we be saying if we drafter good pass rushers and NO O lineman? The same thing we'd be saying right now.

This guy is an excellent athlete. He was a four star recruit who starred on special teams.

Decent size 5'10 #205, good speed and agility (6.90 three cone, 4.4 guy, with a great 1.48 split), and very explosive (40" vert, 10'10 broad jump). Sounds like an ideal slot guy and special teams maven. That's just fine for a seventh rounder.

I would have preferred a center (Barnes), or a couple of front seven guys (Kearse & Bryant), but I am hardly going to complain. BB has done a good job this year, and I'm happy with the draft.

So there won't be any UDFA this year,even if the CBA gets done?

Excellent question! What exactly is the status with the undrafted rooks? They are FA's but what does that mean? No invitation available?

Heh! According to the NFL.com draft tracker, our last two picks have no height/weight or grading. Even the NFL knows nothing about them.

That's a testament to how widespread and throughout the Patriots scouting system is.

Let's toast the draft....!

Last edited:
There's still free agency. How can people not understand this? If they aren't drafting someone now, they still have the chance to find someone in free agency. Yeah, they might not find someone like who will be dominant like Demarcus Ware or Terrell Suggs in FA, but they can still find a player who can complement the current roster of OLB that may solidify a weakness. Plus a veteran most likely won't have as much of a learning curve as a rookie would.

Feel free to list all those great pass rushing 3-4 OLBs and 3-4 DEs that are going to be available in free agency this year. I'm sure there will be thousands of them.

Oh and when they took two RBs earlier in the draft, it meant that they had those players rated higher at a position of need than they had any of the OLBs at that point. Plus I'd love to see all of these OLBs available in the 3rd round that people keep saying would have instantly started. So slick, how about you start listing off the OLB who are guaranteed to make an impact right away like you and everyone else keep implying they would have. Guess what, you can't. However, a RB can have an impact even though he'll be the 4th on the depth chart since he has much less of a learning curve than someone switching from DE to OLB and RB is a position where you can't have enough guys do to players being banged up. Just ask the Saints last year when Thomas and Bush both went down for long periods.

I love the people now defending the RB picks. When I was posting about team needs for the draft (OG,OLB,DE,WR,RB) I was told by many a person that I was crazy to have RB on the list, because the 4 lettered one was now the man and Woodhead was there to spell him. Beyond that, all that was needed was a veteran to take a few carries per game to keep the rotation fresh. Now, because the team took a pair of RBs, it's all about how much running back was a need.

At least you're all consistent with the willingness to throw away your integrity in order to defend everything the team does.

Last edited:
Excellent question! What exactly is the status with the undrafted rooks? They are FA's but what does that mean? No invitation available?

I wonder if they need to start looking for jobs while holding off hope the CBA is done and then get a call,or do they have to wait until 2012 to get called off the streets?? :confused:

Trade for Fizgerald and lets get this season going.

Why would Herzlich be stashed on PUP? He played last year for BC. Granted he was a step slow, but he would be playing if he was drafted.

Also, Carter definitely has a chance to make the team. Right now one of Murrell and Moore are the 4th OLB. I'd even go out on a limb to say that I'd expect him to make the team over both of them. He'll only have trouble making the team if they bring in a one or two free agents (which I expect them to bring at least one in).

It shouldn't be hard to come up with some excuse as to why a guy still recovering from cancer isn't ready to play in the NFL.

And I would be surprised if Carter beats either Murrell or Moore or any free agent they sign, for a spot, unless the Pats decide they just want to keep the younger guy. Nothing about this guy shouts out NFL caliber player. Just my opinion.

That's a testament to how widespread and throughout the Patriots scouting system is.

Well that's crap. Hardly widespread because they never looked at a single OLB if some of the naysayers here are to be believed.

Hopefully you understand that I don't think your point is crap, it's spot on.

We can always use a CB who couldn't even start in college. He ended the season with 12 tackles, but we saw something in him, we liked.

Feel free to list all those great pass rushing 3-4 OLBs and 3-4 DEs that are going to be available in free agency this year. I'm sure there will be thousands of them.

I love the people now defending the RB picks. When I was posting about team needs for the draft (OG,OLB,DE,WR,RB) I was told by many a person that I was crazy to have RB on the list, because the 4 lettered one was now the man and Woodhead was there to spell him. Beyond that, all that was needed was a veteran to take a few carries per game to keep the rotation fresh. Now, because the team took a pair of RBs, it's all about how much running back was a need.

At least you're all consistent with the willingness to throw away your integrity in order to defend everything the team does.

The pats drafted two support backs in rounds 2 and 3......not like they got Ingram.

I think you might be borderline-obsessed with a late round prospect.

if you knew who this kid was. you would know he would have been an early 2 atleast.

cancer kinda messes u up:(

I hope he does not get drafted and we pick him up in FA'cy

FA'cy plz dont get drafted
you r obviously clueless to the ceiling this kid had

Hopefully BB has a plan up his sleeve and we all look dumb looking back. Worse 3rd down d in the league every season since 2008 I believe. Maybe Mathias Kiwanuka from the giants? Or maybe Carter turns out to be a steal.

We can always use a CB who couldn't even start in college. He ended the season with 12 tackles, but we saw something in him, we liked.

rofl.gif

I hope the guy pans out and becomes a dominant force. But you've got to love the lengths the homers will go to in order to defend everything. If a guy was a blind quadruple amputee, they'd be saying "Once regeneration therapy cures him, he's going to be a force!"

Last edited:
The pats drafted two support backs in rounds 2 and 3......not like they got Ingram.

No the Pats traded Ingram to NO for Vereen and their next year's first rounder, when all was said and done.

Well that's crap. Hardly widespread because they never looked at a single OLB if some of the naysayers here are to be believed.

Hopefully you understand that I don't think your point is crap, it's spot on.

I believe we did draft an OLB.

If you think my point is crap, then explain to me how a star OLB will improve our 14-2 record.

Do the Pats think Markell Carter has more talent and/or upside than the two Arizona DE/OLBs (Elmore and Reed) who were drafted after by the Packers and Vikings respectively?

The Pats don't subscribe to a national scouting service. They have their own grading system. This is why the Pats grades and those of other teams may differ significantly. Rest assured though that the Pats scouts gave these kids grades, BB and co. then looked at the film, and assigned final values before selecting even a 7th round pick. They probably have a ton of priority UDFAs rated as well that we have no idea about. In this labor situation, the UDFAs are in a bad situation though as far as catching on with an NFL club cos they can't be signed.

Last edited:
I give this draft a SOLID B+

I feel like throwing the football now:)

nice daft I'm happy

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday