PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The 1st pick in the draft is ONE pick better than the SB winner.

If you think a me-first USC QB is the answer....wow.

The topic is like saying that the chiefs are only one player better than the patriots (Patrick Mahomes)

They would be if Carolina was an intelligent, well run organization who let football people make football decisions instead of venture capitalists.
So every team that picks ahead of us will be geniuses, until these picks fail.

I remember posters here calling BB a clown for not trading up so he could get Zach Wilson and Justin Fields.

The same posters whining about BB drafting now… in hindsight we have a site full of experts.

Weapons have been an issue since 2019. The greatest QB ever was *****ing about them and they've gotten worse since. But everyone knew that Cam was washed anyways. The team that drafted him released him. Are you pretending this is some mutually exclusive discussion?

I know your brain is smaller than a rodent's ****, but try to use some semblance of intelligence.
Weapons… like the band of castoffs Mahomes had when he won last year, or Tom had in 2018 when smooth brains like you were complaining we had no talent.

You play too much Madden and think fantasy football is real world football.

"Yes, a top 5 pick is important. Folks seem to think that we have advantages throughout the draft, We do not."

You are not serious, arent you ?
OK, I'll try to be more clear.

My position is that after we make our first pick, the patriots will NOT have advantages throughout the draft. In every future pick, the patriots will pick after the SB champ.

The patriots will have one very, very, very valuable pick that will obviously make our resources greater than the SB champ. HOWEVER, after we pick our OT, the next pick by the SB champ is 32, and ours is likely to be 37. After that the SB champ picks at 64, we pick at 69 and so on.
=========================
As we go into the draft, presuming a #5 pick, we have a top OT and the rest of the draft. The SB champ has the rest of the draft. Will the OT move us significantly closer to the SB champ in quality. Perhaps, if the SB didn't have as many draft resources as we will have after we draft our OT. We aren't one player away from the path to getting deep into the playoffs unless that one player is a Stroud equivalent.

Tell us you started following the Patriots only when they won Super Bowls without telling us you started following the Patriots only when they won Super Bowls.
I was posting on boston.com when internet was dial up in the mid-90’s, my handle hasn’t changed and people know me.

I don’t use stupid pet names for players and coaches. Sue me…

The topic is like saying that the chiefs are only one player better than the patriots (Patrick Mahomes)
OK, I'll say it. With Gonzales. Judon and Bourne healthy we are close to KC, probably better, IF KC plays Jones at QB and we play Mahomes.

You do remember he missed 2 kicks in the Carolina SB right? So him being accurate 33% of the time (i.e. horrible for a Kicker) is the reason we won the SB? But not Brady leading offense to 30+ points? Get out of here with that garbage.
Brady scored 1 TD in the entire 2001 postseason… but it’s only the QB.

#Cheerleaders

Texans are the model. They draft a franchise QB #2, take Tank Dell, equivalent to Demario Douglas, in round 3. All of a sudden Nico Collins looks like a good WR. They don't run the ball well, the receivers are OK, they would have 2 wins without Stroud.
Get QB at top, get Tackle top of round 2, get a receiver round 3 or trade up into 2 as it is a very deep receiver draft. That's the way to go.
Except Caesario and the entire front office was two seconds from being fired until Stroud was gifted to him.

Many posters continue to say that those who pick early in the draft have a great advantage in every round.
No one says that.

Weapons… like the band of castoffs Mahomes had when he won last year, or Tom had in 2018 when smooth brains like you were complaining we had no talent.

Kelce who is a HOF TE and is consistently a top 3 pass catcher in the league is a castoff? Gronk (HOF TE) who got hot later in the season and Edelman who was the only good player in the Super Bowl were castoffs?

It’s a little too early to be drinking Wozzy. Sober up and we will reinstate your posting privileges

No one says that.
Nuance is in short supply here but two things can be true

1. Top 15 draft picks have the highest hit rates and yield the best results compared to the rest of the draft.

2. Teams with high draft picks are usually bad and are more than one impact player from being contenders

Kelce who is a HOF TE and is consistently a top 3 pass catcher in the league is a castoff? Gronk (HOF TE) who got hot later in the season and Edelman who was the only good player in the Super Bowl were castoffs?

It’s a little too early to be drinking Wozzy. Sober up and we will reinstate your posting privileges
So one weapon… that’s enough?

Sounds legit.

The Raiders got Devante Adams, Waller, Renfrow, Josh Jacob’s and got worse. But weapons… that’s the cure.

Travis Kelce Gronk and Edelman are castoffs… ok.

How did Alex Smith do against us with Hunt Hill Charles and Kelce. Must have been all the QB that blew us right out of our home opener.

#Cheerleaders
Never said that. Only correcting your wrong Vinatieri comment. Nice pivot though.

2001 he had 2 TDs, also who drove the team into all those field goals? Even the 1 Bledsoe TD was started halfway as Brady had them in midfield before his injury.

You do remember he missed 2 kicks in the Carolina SB right? So him being accurate 33% of the time (i.e. horrible for a Kicker) is the reason we won the SB? But not Brady leading offense to 30+ points? Get out of here with that garbage.
Looking back at Vinitieri’s stats, he had a lot of mediocre seasons. He wasn’t the most reliable when it got passed 40 to 50+ yards.

He also missed several kicks that got Pete Carrol fired and as you pointed out, missed kicks vs Carolina. A kicker is the most dependent player on the team. Adam couldn’t just teleport into field goal position.

No, see, I don't think you are really seeing OP's point. If you TOTALLY DISREGARD the very first pick in the draft then you can make silly and confusing arguments about how picking first and picking last is really the same. Now, I am not OP, but maybe I can explain it better for you. Let's do another example, but this time we will not disregard the first overall pick. Instead we will disregard every pick before round six that the team drafting first has. Now, if we look at this selective and stupidly exclusionary list of picks, we can see that the Super Bowl winning team picks 32nd, 64th, and so on. That is obviously better than not having a pick until round 6, right? So what I think OP was really saying was that by ignoring any information that does not fit your narrative and doubling down on misinformation, you can twist reality enough that some of the more simple minded among us will go along with you.

Why must I disregard the #1 overall pick? Makes no sense to me.

The #1 pick is LIKELY a franchise altering player. That pick alone is probably worth the rest of your draft picks. There is a reason the Saints basically gave up their entire draft for Ricky Williams.

Why must I disregard the #1 overall pick? Makes no sense to me.

The #1 pick is LIKELY a franchise altering player. That pick alone is probably worth the rest of your draft picks. There is a reason the Saints basically gave up their entire draft for Ricky Williams.
So, you think that our #1 pick will be franchise altering. Wow! How many such players do you think are available?

No one is disregarding our #1 pick.

I'll be plainer. I expect/hope that our draft will be one player better than PHI, our #1 pick. Hopefully, our management will be equal to OHI on the rest of the picks.

#Cheerleaders
One would think you'd know more about that postseason given that that was the year you started following the Patriots...

Game 1: Brady threw for 312 yards and ran for a TD in an absolute blizzard. One of the greatest postseason performances of all time when you factor in the weather conditions.
Game 2: The guy got injured. I mean, it sucks but it happens...
Game 3: Despite being seriously injured, he threw for a TD and, oh by the way, led the team on one of the greatest game winning drives in the history of the NFL.

The NE Patriots did a complete 180 the day Tom Brady took over as starting QB. That is a fact and is completely undeniable.

So, you think that our #1 pick will be franchise altering. Wow! How many such players do you think are available?

No one is disregarding our #1 pick.

I'll be plainer. I expect/hope that our draft will be one player better than PHI, our #1 pick. Hopefully, our management will be equal to OHI on the rest of the picks.

The 1st round pick ABSOLUTELY will be franchise altering....the question is whether for better or worse?

As for the rest of the draft relative to the Eagles (assuming they win the SB and are the #32 pick)...yeah I want to do better than them, no doubt about it. But remember the years where the Pats were always picking #25-#32....we always felt that there were maybe 15-20 guys with 1st round grades...and everyone from #15/#20 through #65 had pretty much the same level of talent...more or less. We were very happy when Wilfork dropped....we grabbed an injured Gronk...we tried with Easley...etc...all because the alternative was to stand pat and take a healthy 2nd round talent.

So, in other words...the Eagles would be at a disadvantage even if we disregard our 1st round pick because by the time the 2nd round rolls around...we will be picking the best player available whereas the Eagles will probably be picking for need (as it would be their first choice) with all else being equal.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Back