PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Tebow released

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tebow turned us into them. Post #12 is the first of several where this Zombie patsfans.com thread is quoted:

Tebow Released

I don't get the love for tebow. I really don't. His fans argue that he just needs time to develop, time to work on his mechanics, decision-making, etc. He has now been in the league 4 YEARS. That is longer than the average NFL career. He is no longer a wet-behind-the-ears college grad.

The college game is much different than the NFL. The talent level, the speed, etc. Even in Denver where he won a few games, he did not look like a pro QB. Certainly not one that could take a team to a superbowl.

I realize that those fans, particularly those that saw him in college, think that he could regain his former glory. But ask yourself, who do you think is a better evaluator of his potential, you or one of the best coaches in NFL history?

I understand that Aus. In my view, Tebow's biggest problem is his inconsistency in passing. Reading defenses and going through progressions are secondary problems. If Tebow had gone out there and completed 60+% of his pass attempts, the conversations would have been much different.

This +1, Demosthenes.

Performance counts. That's it in a nutshell. I really hope Tebow takes 300 days away from games and learns a Patriots playbook by heart while working with Tom House on throwing mechanics. He's had some lousy short term coaching and needs the football version of detox. Who better to be in a system with than his original drafter and NFL supporter, Josh McDaniels.

This is not to say that I envision him to be the starting New England Patriots QB within the next 4 years, but it is really his only option if he is to become a legitimate NFL QB anywhere in the league.

BTW, you, Christian Cat and several others have been terrific additions to this forum. You and the majority of Tebow fans have provided great insight and background info on Tebow.

Unfortunately, a minority of Tebow fans (like the poster who wrote a few hours ago "I will have to eventually sign up at *yet another* forum, and take abuse from *yet another* fan base. : ") revel in self-martyrdom and enjoy fanning the atmosphere they lament.

Thank you for being part of the majority of Tebow followers who have added to this forum. Please do stick around - who knows, with time, the story may have a happy ending.

Last edited:
I think this is the right move from a football standpoint, but I think it is shameful how so many people in this forum had such hatred and vitriol for the guy. He was brought in to try out, he gave it his best and he did absolutely nothing to hurt or embarrass the team.

He was not good enough to make the final cut, but there is no reason for so many in here to hate him so much.

Bears repeating
Not Patsfans finest hour

He was a guy picked by BB who many of us did not want taking up a roster spot yet rooted for him to succeed in some unanticipated fashion

Glad BB was not hung up on his FA signing

And for the record, this forum was not "destroyed" or "overwhelmed" by an influx of Tebowites as many here whined about incessantly

Bears repeating
Not Patsfans finest hour

He was a guy picked by BB who many of us did not want taking up a roster spot yet rooted for him to succeed in some unanticipated fashion

Glad BB was not hung up on his FA signing

And for the record, this forum was not "destroyed" or "overwhelmed" by an influx of Tebowites as many here whined about incessantly

1) "And for the record, this forum was not "destroyed" or "overwhelmed" by an influx of Tebowites as many here whined about incessantly".

Indeed. But that's because of Mod filtering, my friend. Christian Cat, Demosthenes, Situational Awareness, etc. have not been trollish at all and I am thankful that they are here. However, you don't see the trolls who have been filtered out.

2) There will always be athletes whom, for some reason, are targeted unfairly by fans. I still don't understand the derision a few years back for a FA WR who was signed for low money to be the #5 WR and who, by way of injuries and losing disgruntled players ahead of him was thrust into a more active role. The guy caught 60+ passes (more than twice as much as he had ever caught in a season before) and all some folks here could do was treat him like he was Jeffrey Dahmer.

3) I look at Tebow as similar to Doug Flutie's first few years in the NFL. The league couldn't get it's head around his untraditional style of play and, though he won games, he won them "ugly". If Tebow could take a step back, as Flutie did, and get out of the glare and work on his game, then maybe there is a reentry to NFL starting QB - as Flutie did.

Last edited:
Good luck to Tebow, hope his life turns out well.

My wife inexplicably asked me about Tebow about 3:00AM this morning, just out of the bleeping blue, lying there in the dark. After a moment of wtf, I explained that his problems were that he held on to the ball too long, unable to decide where to throw it, and when he did throw it he was too inaccurate. She said, "is he really a virgin still, at his age?" I said that there was a lot mythology out there about him, but that was a possibility, yes. She said, "well that's enough to keep any young man from being able to make quick decisions. The Patriots should just get him laid, and see if that improves the speed of his decision making."

I thought that might be the best advice I'd heard for helping the guy out. Who knows?
I bet you're thinking.

"My wife wants to talk to me at 3am. Excellent......................................."

Bears repeating
Not Patsfans finest hour
It also bears repeating

Why is it so different for Timmy than it is the many many players that have been slagged off on this site. Whether they be draftee's or free agents.

Timmy is a nice guy. We get it. But if he isn't performing and there are less than graceful comments it is no different than other players that have come forward and not met expectations.

This +1, Demosthenes.

Performance counts. That's it in a nutshell. I really hope Tebow takes 300 days away from games and learns a Patriots playbook by heart while working with Tom House on throwing mechanics. He's had some lousy short term coaching and needs the football version of detox. Who better to be in a system with than his original drafter and NFL supporter, Josh McDaniels.

This is not to say that I envision him to be the starting New England Patriots QB within the next 4 years, but it is really his only option if he is to become a legitimate NFL QB anywhere in the league.

BTW, you, Christian Cat and several others have been terrific additions to this forum. You and the majority of Tebow fans have provided great insight and background info on Tebow.

Unfortunately, a minority of Tebow fans (like the poster who wrote a few hours ago "I will have to eventually sign up at *yet another* forum, and take abuse from *yet another* fan base. : ") revel in self-martyrdom and enjoy fanning the atmosphere they lament.

Thank you for being part of the majority of Tebow followers who have added to this forum. Please do stick around - who knows, with time, the story may have a happy ending.

Thanks for the kind words Shmessy. It's been great here, and who knows, I might just stick around :)

That said, I do want to step in and defend Situational Awareness. This is what he said:

Worst part about all this...

I will have to eventually sign up at *yet another* forum, and take abuse from *yet another* fan base.

I'm tired of moving.

Tim Tebow's career is becoming Biblical. And it's the gritty, harsh, Old Testament style of Biblical.

;)

I took the statement kind of tongue in cheek, but then again, I've been on various sites with, and have been friends with him since 2011.

In that post, he's actually complimenting this board and the Pats organization. We Tebowites received a vastly different reception last year on the Jets boards and he's predicting that the reception will be similar next time around. In short, the difference is the level of "class" that exists here at Patsfans. As I said, the overwhelming majority of people here were very friendly and welcoming, even some of those who had no desire whatsoever for Tebow to be here.

I believe that his post also contains a wish that Tebow could have made a home here with the Pats. That the organization and team would have been great for him. That, and the chance to finally have some stability in his career.

1) "And for the record, this forum was not "destroyed" or "overwhelmed" by an influx of Tebowites as many here whined about incessantly".

Indeed. But that's because of Mod filtering, my friend. Christian Cat, Demosthenes, Situational Awareness, etc. have not been trollish at all and I am thankful that they are here. However, you don't see the trolls who have been filtered out.

I hope I'm included in your "etc.". Regardless, thanks for your hospitality. It's a pleasure to join discussions that have a minimum of participants that seem more interested in disparaging others and being disruptive than having reasonably respectful exchanges of opinions and ideas (mixed with a reasonable amount of trash talking ofc).

However, due to your site being down for a while today, I wondered if my IP had been banned.

Whew!!! By virtue of this post, clearly I'm not banned. That's good because I'll be dropping in from time to time to get a feel for how things are going for the Pats and want posting privs in the event I have something to say.

I've not participated on sports boards BT (before Tim) but have and appreciate the cyper buddies I've made doing it.

The Patriots are a class act and an easy team to become a fan of. As of this posting, the Pats are my favorite NFL team, BB is my favorite NFL HC, McD is my favorite NFL OC, Gator Spikes is my favorite NFL LB, Gronk is my favorite NFL TE, Brady is my favorite NFL QB, and Tim is my favorite NFL QB wannabe.

Later

Edit:
Demos has it correct about situational_awareness and that this board has been an oasis in the sea of s*** to which situational_awareness refers. Thanks for being you.

Oh, what the heck. My apologies for his Ian, but it really does seem like the right thing to do.

I said this earlier in this thread and I meant every single word of it. Most of the replies in this thread have only served to reinforce my belief in how classy MOST posters are on this forum.

Well hell, what a great way to start my Saturday, waking up to the news that things didn't go as I had hoped.

Such is life.

I'd like to thank the huge overwhelming majority of the posters I have met here. You all handled Tebow's signing with true class, unlike the dregs of humanity known as most Jets fans last year.

Of course, there were a few blithering asshats, who shall remain nameless, but that's to be expected in any population. That whole "standard distribution" thing ya know. To the credit of the Pats, and this site in particular, quite a few long time forum denizens stepped up and did their best to smack some sense into a number of these folks, and that was appreciated.

There are of course exceptions, as I mentioned in my post. And I wasn't going to name any of them publicly.

But sometimes, things happen that will cause a person to change their minds, and yes, just now, that "something" occurred. Someone apparently felt the need to leave a message on my Visitor's wall and since Wall messages are public, I have decided to share that message

belichick010405 said:
Today 03:46 PMbelichick010405

As far as I am concerned, you can go somewhere else Sunshine and Mr. Know It All. I really enjoyed yesterday's news and I hope that you have wasted two months of our time with your incessant diatribe. You have earned this message and there is nothing more to say. Tebow sucks.

Congrats Belichick on providing a fine example of someone outside the norm of the fine folks I have encountered here at Patsfans. I look forward to having many more conversations with you here in the future. :)

Thanks for the kind words Shmessy. It's been great here, and who knows, I might just stick around :)

That said, I do want to step in and defend Situational Awareness. This is what he said:

I took the statement kind of tongue in cheek, but then again, I've been on various sites with, and have been friends with him since 2011.

In that post, he's actually complimenting this board and the Pats organization. We Tebowites received a vastly different reception last year on the Jets boards and he's predicting that the reception will be similar next time around. In short, the difference is the level of "class" that exists here at Patsfans. As I said, the overwhelming majority of people here were very friendly and welcoming, even some of those who had no desire whatsoever for Tebow to be here.

I believe that his post also contains a wish that Tebow could have made a home here with the Pats. That the organization and team would have been great for him. That, and the chance to finally have some stability in his career.
What career? Seriously, where can he go? Not in the CFL or Arena league. And definitely not in the NFL.

@Demos

I guess I need to step up my game. I wasn't able to draw any of the most childish ('sorry Charlie'...my term of endearment for your message leaver) people out and get such a message. :)

What career? Seriously, where can he go? Not in the CFL or Arena league. And definitely not in the NFL.

Where Tim can go has nothing to do with his chosen career. But you know that don't you? (Rhetorical question). Or at least, you should.

However, thanks for your opinion. It's duly noted.

(Demos, am I doing better?)

It's a shame he's not practice squad eligible because, while I think even ardent Tebow supporters can admit now that he's not NFL QB material, he would be useful in helping teams prepare for mobile quarterbacks.

Where Tim can go has nothing to do with his chosen career. But you know that don't you? (Rhetorical question). Or at least, you should.

However, thanks for your opinion. It's duly noted.

(Demos, am I doing better?)
Tim's dream is to be an NFL quarterback. That is his chosen career and it is over. There isn't a single team that will take him. The Patriots gave him his last chance it failed. No shame in trying, but it's over. Now if he moves on from this and works with the community or church, that seems more of what he was intended for. Great guy, wish the best for him.

Tebow could get coaching from god himself on how to throw a football and I don't think it would help. Inability to see the field, slow processing speed is inability to read a defense quickly etc doom him ad a qb.

There are tons of guys with great character who "work and work" to get better and never get anywhere in the pros. No one laments them they just fade away. Why is tebow different? His character is "better"? He works "harder"? I don't know lots of qbs work hard and have good character and great athletic ability.

There's nothing special about tebow except that he's openly religious. If you took that away he'd have ridden into the sunset years ago and no one would have noticed.

Tebow could get coaching from god himself on how to throw a football and I don't think it would help. Inability to see the field, slow processing speed is inability to read a defense quickly etc doom him ad a qb.

There are tons of guys with great character who "work and work" to get better and never get anywhere in the pros. No one laments them they just fade away. Why is tebow different? His character is "better"? He works "harder"? I don't know lots of qbs work hard and have good character and great athletic ability.

There's nothing special about tebow except that he's openly religious. If you took that away he'd have ridden into the sunset years ago and no one would have noticed.

I suppose Elway wished Tim would take your type of advise. Had that happened the Broncs could/would have gotten Luck, saved a bunch of money, and possibly made the playoffs like the Colts did.

It's probably best if Tim follows his own council and ignores people that clearly have a anti-Tebow bias.

After all, we're talking about what's best for Tim, right? (Rhetorical question)

Tim's dream is to be an NFL quarterback. That is his chosen career and it is over. There isn't a single team that will take him. The Patriots gave him his last chance it failed. No shame in trying, but it's over. Now if he moves on from this and works with the community or church, that seems more of what he was intended for. Great guy, wish the best for him.

I disagree. As I wrote earlier, remember Doug Flutie. He was persona non grata to the NFL, then spent 6-7 years tearing up the CFL and got a second chance. I can't imagine Tim Tebow throwing in the towel.

Last edited:
I suppose Elway wished Tim would take your type of advise. Had that happened the Broncs could/would have gotten Luck, saved a bunch of money, and possibly made the playoffs like the Colts did.

It's probably best if Tim follows his own council and ignores people that clearly have a anti-Tebow bias.

After all, we're talking about what's best for Tim, right? (Rhetorical question)
My advice? I didn't give him advice or counsel. And your comment about elway makes little sense. Did elway tell Jim to not play pro ball at all? And you know they would have lost all their remaining games without tebow how?

I have an anti "qb who can't read a defense, doesn't see wide open wrs, holds onto the ball a ridiculously long time, taking sack after sack and throws with a windup either in the turf or over someone's head". The fact that that player is tebow is irrelevant to me.

Just pointing out to all the apologists that their standards are hypocritical. If tebow were Joe blow they'd say cut him. He's Mr. Christian warrior so it's "he just needs a chance! Some development!". It's dishonest.

I had no problem with curt warner cause he could actually play. Rodney Harrison publically thanked Jesus on air after the AFC title game one year. He was my favorite player.

And no I didn't say "what was best for Timmy". I couldn't care less about him. He's made millions in endorsements alone. I think it's a moot point though; no one will hire him to play qb so he is done as a pro. Hard to believe 32 GMs could be so wrong!! Oh Timmy!!

Many including ex NFL GM Charlie Casserly, have said he can't go to the CFL. I think that is what he needs. Although, as Kurt Warner testified, the Arena League required that he speed up the pace of his play, and let him succeed in the NFL.

Joe Kapp was a worse passer BY FAR, and he won Grey Cups and made a Superbowl appearance when Bud Grant brought him to the NFL with the Vikings. Watching him throw jump shot puts, as "passes" at Harvard Stadium, for the Pats, I can attest to that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results