PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

TC ROSTER TALK

And what about Sidy Sow? Can he make it as a tackle, most definitely only RT? I hear his lateral mobility isn’t good.

Sow had a 9.72 RAS score - very high. His 3cone was "great" relative to other offensive linemen. Looks like a great athlete with not a lot of college experience (not great college competition). Fingers crossed.

Andrews was an accomplished wrestler - good for OC. Mafi looks like a beast. Sow, I think, was a bit of a projection based on great athleticism. Kind of like Strange was a projection based on raw athletic ability?

If pats want another wr they gotta make a trade. Homerun type a trade to make a strong 5 group but I think it's unlikely Fournette,zeke,mckissic,k.hunt all make sense in a way. I think the pats carry 5 rbs going into the season especially with no FB on the roster. Mckissic would be good insurance if ty montgomery gets hurt again or isn't ready to go. The other 3 are more well rounded and still have something to offer.
I think Trent brown is a RT that's when he's at his best. Problem is he's still the best option at LT. Taylor lewan should take a visit. I know he's gone through some injuries but if he's healthy I'd love to see him play LT and move Trent brown to RT. Another low key good sign for depth would be George Fant. Dj fluker took a visit too I'd definitely sign one of those 3 for 1 of the open spots.
TE Adam Shaheen would be worth bringing in for a visit.
I don't see much of potential signs in the front 7 especially on the dline. There's a couple backers out there but I think NE is content with their big dogs and hybrid safeties.
Depending on jack Jones situation I wouldn't mind looking at Marcus Peters or ronald Darby both of whom have gone on visits recently. William Jackson maybe. Bummed about Jack tho I hope he can play. With Christian in the 1 spot jack could easily get 7,8 pics this year maybe more.
Back to that Dline
There's been reports on Aaron Donald being available in a trade.
Pats got loot. Could you imagine him on this already top defense. My goodness. And I could so see BB Makin that move. Could be a crazy scary historic defense

OL that could be special and not in the negative sense: Brown, Strange, Andrews (either one), Onwenu, Sow.

Could be. That interior is dynamic.

???

Jacobs/Chubb have barely missed games.

Derrick Henry has had one major injury in 7 years. Besides that, he's played almost every game.

McCaffrey has played every game four of his six years, and one of the years he missed games was the Covid year.

Only Barkley has been injury prone.
No... chubb has missed time, McCaffery is often injured, Henry is always banged up but does play though sometimes..

Point I'm trying to make is.. RBs don't have a long shelf life in the NFL.. come into the league at 22,23 and by 28 they are on the downside.. injuries can heal up but the it's scar tissue, arthritis that sets in.. arthritis can make a 25 year old feel like he's 50..

Without solid play from him, we could see the offense have problems. Calvin Anderson might work out as a backup, but having him man LT for the season probably won’t be a good idea.
He played just as well (or bad) as Trent Brown last season. If he shows up out of shape and plays lacksadasical you can take it to the bank Brown and is 12 million will be cut before training camp is over. His 1.3 million cap hit makes it too easy for the Pats and sets an example to the importance of being in shape and consistent play.

If both players are equal I’m going with the 2 yrs 7 million Anderson vs the 11 million in savings every time.

No... chubb has missed time, McCaffery is often injured, Henry is always banged up but does play though sometimes..

Point I'm trying to make is.. RBs don't have a long shelf life in the NFL.. come into the league at 22,23 and by 28 they are on the downside.. injuries can heal up but the it's scar tissue, arthritis that sets in.. arthritis can make a 25 year old feel like he's 50..

Chubb has missed only five games in five years for non Covid related reasons (missed one game after testing positive). That's pretty durable. McCaffrey - I'll give you. Henry's missed half of one season, and that's about it. Everyone plays banged up.

Yes, running backs have shorter shelf lives.

They might as well ride Stevenson if he can handle it. Do you think they pay will him enough to keep him after rookie contract? I'm not saying to burn him completely out for the playoffs, but last year, 279 touches aren't many. If he can't handle 300 combined touches a year (18 a game), he's not that good.

Chubb has missed only five games in five years for non Covid related reasons (missed one game after testing positive). That's pretty durable. McCaffrey - I'll give you. Henry's missed half of one season, and that's about it. Everyone plays banged up.

Yes, running backs have shorter shelf lives.

They might as well ride Stevenson if he can handle it. Do you think they pay will him enough to keep him after rookie contract? I'm not saying to burn him completely out for the playoffs, but last year, 279 touches aren't many. If he can't handle 300 combined touches a year (18 a game), he's not that good.
Your right and I agree. I've said before that.. Rham seen as how he was rode into the ground last season.. largely in part becuase we had no offense. He was the guy relied upon the most to make plays. Well I believe that BOB will want to keep him fresher for down the stretch.. having a nice mix of backs like we currently have will on help Rham.. I think Rham is one of the best all purpose backs in the league.. he's only gotten better each season.

He's a humble guy ,tough, great foot work runs between the tackles gets yards after contact.. he's everything you want in back.. he's an important piece to the offense. Now what I'll think will happen is I expect him to be productive and when that happens the team will likely present to him and extension before he becomes a FA.. probably a 2 year extension of some sort.. given how the RB position is just becoming such a secondary part of football

Chubb has missed 7 games. Only 1 due to COVID.

He missed 4 in 2020 due to a KNEE (MCL) INJURY. Him

He missed 2 (weeks 6&7) in 2021 due to a CALF INJURY.
He missed 1 in 2021 due to COVID. Week 10 against the Pats.

I agree that everyone plays banged up.
Henry has missed 4 games that weren't attributed to the Jones Fracture in his foot in 2021. That accounts for 9 games. He did return in the play-offs that year.

There’s hope for you Zappeites! Just watched the Patriots 2022 season review video on the NFL Network. Zappe had like 10x more screen time than Mac Jones as the narrator talked about Zappe’s “veteran poise “.

I just found it interesting. God, I’m glad TC practices begin Wednesday!

Chubb has missed 7 games. Only 1 due to COVID.

He missed 4 in 2020 due to a KNEE (MCL) INJURY. Him

He missed 2 (weeks 6&7) in 2021 due to a CALF INJURY.
He missed 1 in 2021 due to COVID. Week 10 against the Pats.

I agree that everyone plays banged up.
Henry has missed 4 games that weren't attributed to the Jones Fracture in his foot in 2021. That accounts for 9 games. He did return in the play-offs that year.

You're correct. I was thinking 16 game season in 2021.

Still 6 games in 5 years isn't bad.

Great to see Brown working hard, and apparently in shape... but is it possible to say that a 6'8" 350 lb-er looks smaller?
if Brown is down to 350 he really is smaller. IIRC his weight clause last year had a target weight of 365, and he’s usually been described as carrying 380 pounds.

…KB turned into this weird fan favorite when he was in the doghouse last year. Honestly, there is no measurable that makes one think "oh let's get that guy the ball." He was just 2A-2B with Meyers in a year without a 1... and by the way, unless TyQuantumUncertainty is alive when we open the box this year, we're still going to be speading the ball around to okay guys. It's a value approach. If somehow we get a "true no. 1" cheap, fine. But I think BB 2024 would rather be the team you can't score on than the team you can't outscore.
I disagree about KB. He turned into a favorite of mine before he played a down for the Pats, thanks to his positive attitude and off-season leadership when he was first signed from SF. His play in his first year with the team solidified that, and the measurable that makes one think "oh let's get that guy the ball” is his 2021 performance. iirc that got him a lot of fans who expected a step up for him last year, well before the OC cluster derailed him and the rest of the team.

I disagree about KB. He turned into a favorite of mine before he played a down for the Pats, thanks to his positive attitude and off-season leadership when he was first signed from SF. His play in his first year with the team solidified that, and the measurable that makes one think "oh let's get that guy the ball” is his 2021 performance. iirc that got him a lot of fans who expected a step up for him last year, well before the OC cluster derailed him and the rest of the team.
Every NFL team needs a guy like KB.. someone who's a leader on/off the field. Especially for Mac.. Brady had brown, faulk, primarily on offense as leaders. I absolutely love KB.. the guy can line up everywhere on offense. His attitude, his leadership abilities.. his work ethics. Last season I believe that when he saw that things didn't look right he checked out mentally. He owned up to that and I commend him for that. I believe BOB will heavily involve him more this season..

To all the eagled eyed fans who can tell if a guys in shape just by looking please chime in?

That’s good to see, I wonder why he didn’t do this prior to mini-camp. I went by how he looked at mini camp and then he practiced for ten minutes and then labored off the field.

Trent Brown doesn't seem too worried about being ready for training camp. TB New Car

Douglas would get grabbed by another team in a heartbeat.

Boutte may be one of the first cut unless he changes his attitude and work ethic.. It's pretty telling when a Vet chimes after your OC has taken you to Task.

That being said, Mills needs to watch his mouth as well. Generally, we haven't see that sort of comment from a Vet. Usually that's a "Behind Closed doors, vet pulling the rook aside", type of thing. Not something that get's broadcast into the media.
Maybe OC BOB is trying to light a fire under Boutte's @ss wouldn't be a bad thing for us he has Talent. In the case of Douglas if he shows nothing against his peers I think he PS material...Let TC begin so many intrigue.

You're correct. I was thinking 16 game season in 2021.

Still 6 games in 5 years isn't bad.
Nope. It isn't bad at all.

So excited for TC to get going.
I hope Onwenu is okay. Although, seems typical for Pats to use his early absence as a chance to see what the new guys have.
Testing out Mafi, Sow, Hines will be important for depth.
Seeing how Thornton & JuJu perform off the bat will also be critical. Is JuJu healthy? Does he have any speed and agility?
Same for Ty - if he doesn't gain immediate momentum and confidence, I'm worried about him getting lost on the bench.

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
Back