PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

TC ROSTER TALK

jdlboot14

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
I don't see an official thread for pure roster discussion and debate. So here it is.

Let's talk OL -
Can Brown return to form and lock down LT?
Will Stueber emerge and make the team as the LT in waiting?
Can Reiff hold off McDermott at RT as the old vets compete with young unknowns like Sow?

WR is every years enigma -
Thornton might be the most important piece this summer.
The 3 top guys are who we know they are.
What about Boutte or Douglas?
Who could be a surprise vet WR signing by the end of camp?

RB seems locked -
Keep Rham healthy, he could emerge as one of the leagues top all-around backs.
Let Strong play.
Ty could be the missing piece on O, more in the James White role.

TE should be improved -
It's all about what Gesicki brings.
Do we carry 3? Firkser or Sokol as the journeyman?

DL is probably the strength of this team -
Can Barmore become a dominant 3 down DT we need?
Will Godchaux/Davis/Ekuale be enough as the other "Guy" (pun intended)
We need White to add production immediately in spelling Wise Jr.

LB is a dying position -
Bentley & Tavai are the only true ILB's, our whole front may ride on Bentley playing every down.
Mapu, Wilson, Board may qualify here.
DE/OLB is in good hands with Judon, Uche, White, Jennings?

DBs provide the most intrigue -
All rides on Gonzalez being a star in year one.
Will Mills play strictly FS, or NB?
Can M. Jones save us from Bryant at Slot Corner?
J. Jones, Peppers, Bledsoe provide high potential questions.

ST is as unknown as we've had -
Does BB gamble with the rookies?
Cutting Folk for Ryland might be the biggest decision of the season.

Notice I left off QB - there's nothing to discuss here.

Good questions but OL is obviously the only huge concern.

What I see: Reiff looks to be the vet cut. Trent Brown is so woefully out of shape we can't rely on him. I've never been a fan of McDermott because I saw him so incapable last year. He's been in the league so long and on practice squads.

We're really relying on Calvin Anderson here. Gulp.

Can we move Cole Strange to tackle? Sidy Sow?

I mean, this is all so badly up in the air, we need to trade for someone!!!! LOL.

What I see: Reiff looks to be the vet cut. Trent Brown is so woefully out of shape we can't rely on him. I've never been a fan of McDermott because I saw him so incapable last year. He's been in the league so long and on practice squads.

I mean, this is all so badly up in the air, we need to trade for someone!!!! LOL.
A little early to panic. Don't know how we know what shape Brown is in. I thought McDermott stabilized the line at the end of the year.

Tyquan Thornton is arguably the second most important player on the team behind Mac Jones entering training camp.

Devante Parker - one of the worst separators in the league, injury prone
JuJu Smith-Schuster - a below average WR vs. man coverage & one of the best YAC WRs in the NFL. He’s someone you want as a #2 & making plays vs. zone coverage
Kendrick Bourne - wildcard. Has displayed playmaking ability but still has only one season in 6 years producing as a WR2

The passing game is limited on 3rd down. The QB can’t make plays running & there is no #1 option again. Who is Mac suppose to target on 3rd downs when opposing teams are in man?

Thornton has to develop in a starting WR & someone that keeps safeties back IMO. He had a good training camp last year & showed some ability in the preseason before injury.

Biggest question mark for me is the reports on OL performance. I’d like to be surprised by stories of their violent tendencies and ability to keep Mac clean. Are they picking up blitzers, not being fooled by simple stunts, not allowing free runners tee off?

WR is what it is. On paper you see a competitive squad. In reality, you have a lot of injuries waiting to happen and thats what concerns me most. Im excited for Gesicki and to see the mismatches they cause with him but am overall worried about TE depth. If thrust into TE due to an Henry injury, we’ll see real quick how much a classic TE is still needed.

Really intrigued by the rookie class. I hope they can stay healthy and get all of the time they need to develop. Curious to see how the DMC replacement goes.

If this team is firing on all cylinders and can capture lightning in a bottle, they'll surprise a lot of people, including me.

Positions/players I am watching closely.

Tyquan Thornton. Is he going to make a jump? Will he develop into a true receiver? Will he be able to beat press coverage or will all his opportunities just be BOB scheming him open?

The tackle spot. Will Brown be back at LT? Will he be in shape and motivated? Who out of the underwhelming options will emerge at the opposite tackle spot? To me Reiff is just as likely to retire in camp as he is to be a starter. How does it seem like the OL responded to Adrian Klemm?

Mac. Does he look confident? Is there a rhythm to the offense now with an adult running the OC show? Is the pissing contest with Bill officially behind them both? How closely are him and BOB working together? How does he looking throwing to Geseki and Juju?

Im curious as to who decided that Trent Browns problem is that he's out of shape. I don't recall him ever looking like someone who was in great shape to begin with. I think he's still young enough and an absolute monster of a man so I still have high expectations for him. He should be able to play as good as he did in the past again if the rest of the line gets its crap together.

WR Tre Nixon showed signs last TC and fizzled out with drops in the end: he looks like has some short area quickness along with sneaky deep speed. Would be nice if he made that improved jump. I am pretty sure we are carrying Five WR's so Five guys might be battling for one spot. One or both of the Douglas - Boutte should make the PS when it's all said and done unless they play lights out.

Tyquan Thornton is arguably the second most important player on the team behind Mac Jones entering training camp.

Devante Parker - one of the worst separators in the league, injury prone
JuJu Smith-Schuster - a below average WR vs. man coverage & one of the best YAC WRs in the NFL. He’s someone you want as a #2 & making plays vs. zone coverage
Kendrick Bourne - wildcard. Has displayed playmaking ability but still has only one season in 6 years producing as a WR2

The passing game is limited on 3rd down. The QB can’t make plays running & there is no #1 option again. Who is Mac suppose to target on 3rd downs when opposing teams are in man?

Thornton has to develop in a starting WR & someone that keeps safeties back IMO. He had a good training camp last year & showed some ability in the preseason before injury.
Yeah that's I don't get the Parker extension but what do I know: OC BOB must like something about him.

Positions/players I am watching closely.

Tyquan Thornton. Is he going to make a jump? Will he develop into a true receiver? Will he be able to beat press coverage or will all his opportunities just be BOB scheming him open?

The tackle spot. Will Brown be back at LT? Will he be in shape and motivated? Who out of the underwhelming options will emerge at the opposite tackle spot? To me Reiff is just as likely to retire in camp as he is to be a starter. How does it seem like the OL responded to Adrian Klemm?

Mac. Does he look confident? Is there a rhythm to the offense now with an adult running the OC show? Is the pissing contest with Bill officially behind them both? How closely are him and BOB working together? How does he looking throwing to Geseki and Juju?
I hope Tyquan Thornton is not another Denzel Mims the similarities Baylor WR's are not exactly setting the NFL world on fire.

I want to see these speed receivers make a difference, but part of me keeps thinking of Al Davis and his many (and mostly fruitless) attempts to take sprinters and make them receivers.

Having a speed guy who is a catching threat, coupled with a wiggle guy who can break down zones inside makes everyone else better. It would be nice to see Mac go from "quick to the check" to "Hmm ... so many options"

A little early to panic. Don't know how we know what shape Brown is in. I thought McDermott stabilized the line at the end of the year.
Who?? he played ok but we don't want that guy as a Starter we are playing real Teams this year.

Way too early. We all know the deficiencies unfortunately we’re gonna have wait and see if O’brien and Klemm can turn damage control into something in the realm of serviceable and hopefully then some. 3rd down and goal line were putrid last year. That would be a good place to start.

Im curious as to who decided that Trent Browns problem is that he's out of shape. I don't recall him ever looking like someone who was in great shape to begin with. I think he's still young enough and an absolute monster of a man so I still have high expectations for him. He should be able to play as good as he did in the past again if the rest of the line gets its crap together.
I think it is a motivation issue as well as the fact he apparently had weight clauses in his contract. When he was here in 2018 apparently Dante really had to ride Brown to get the most out of him and Brown really stepped up late that season. Of course he parlayed that into a big contract and turned right back into a pumpkin again. That isn't to say he is a bad player by any means he just needs a real coach so hopefully Klemm can get close to what Dante got out of him.

I don't see an official thread for pure roster discussion and debate. So here it is.

Let's talk OL -
Can Reiff hold off McDermott at RT as the old vets compete with young unknowns like Sow?

RB seems locked -
Let Strong play.

TE should be improved -

LB is a dying position -
Bentley & Tavai are the only true ILB's, our whole front may ride on Bentley playing every down.

Let's talk OL -

RB seems locked -
Let Strong play.

TE should be improved -

LB is a dying position -

I like it.. great post. Only thing rham is already established he is an all purpose back. He was basically the offense last season.

But great post!!

In training camp, he showed up at a considerably higher weight, and he couldn't move that well.

More weight around the middle. He had eaten himself into a problem.

I thought reiff salary was guaranteed . How can we cut him ?

This team has way too many questions and yet posters believe they will get 10-11 wins.

Dr Evil Whatever GIF

In training camp, he showed up at a considerably higher weight, and he couldn't move that well.

More weight around the middle. He had eaten himself into a problem.
According to scar.. Browns issues were more of a motivation issue more than anything physical. We've seen him be a dominant player before. It's a matter of does he want to or care enough.

I thought reiff salary was guaranteed . How can we cut him ?
I believe between the media and the panic and despair on the forum from some.. they won't even get to 1 win according to them..

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Back