PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Super Bowl loss destroyed the Seahawks

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had a hard time believing the Seahawks would trade **** Sherman. After reading that article it's a lot easier to believe

I doubt Brady would be as meek as Wilson was in response to ****'s antics at practice.

i like fiery players (e.g., rodney harrison), but not that kind of negativity. glad the rumors of the patriots trading for him were just rumors.

edit: then again, maybe he would have done better on the patriots since belichick and brady hold themselves and others accountable for mistakes.

edit: then again, maybe he would have done better on the patriots since belichick and brady hold themselves and others accountable for mistakes.

That's just it, though. He probably would be perfectly happy on a team that holds everyone accountable.

Yeah, a Seth Wickersham piece. Slanted point of view, lots of unnamed sources.... I've seen this before. Not interested.

Then again, there's this, so probably no need to even discuss.

I wonder if the 28-3 Falcons will suffer the same fate ( I don't see how they won't)

Here's something to mull over...

In the past 11 seasons, the Patriots have made it past the division round of the playoffs all but 3 years. Those were the 3 years directly following their first, crushing Super Bowl defeat in XLII. Of course, we can dissect what went wrong with each season, most obviously 2008, but it's still a pretty stark stat.

It's hard to come back from games like those. Looking back, I have to give the '90s Bills a ton of credit for making it back to the big game the next season after "wide right."

I'm still crushed by the first two and a half quarters of last Super Bowl. Winning by only six points is depressing. Does it even count?

I agree, but it would never happen to Brady in the first place. He is clearly a guy who commands tremendous respect from his teammates on both sides of the ball.
Very interesting article from my perspective because it's sort of an X-ray of a Pete Carroll locker room.

I've read in at least a few different places that Belichick will sincerely rip into Brady's performance, often early in the spring, with the whole "we could get a Foxboro High QB out here to throw better than that." Noteworthy contrast between that and the kid-glove treatment Wilson allegedly receives on "Tell the Truth Monday."

In the past 11 seasons, the Patriots have made it past the division round of the playoffs all but 3 years. Those were the 3 years directly following their first, crushing Super Bowl defeat in XLII. Of course, we can dissect what went wrong with each season, most obviously 2008, but it's still a pretty stark stat.

It's hard to come back from games like those. Looking back, I have to give the '90s Bills a ton of credit for making it back to the big game the next season after "wide right."
Hmm. I never thought of this. However, Sherman seems to be making things that much worse for his team. He is often right about the things he says, but at the same time, his delivery is often that of a sanctimonious douche.

Hmm. I never thought of this. However, Sherman seems to be making things that much worse for his team. He is often right about the things he says, but at the same time, his delivery is often that of a sanctimonious douche.
unlike a real douche, sherman's delivery doesn't cleanse the team.

Yup, I've said it many times.

I agree, but it would never happen to Brady in the first place. He is clearly a guy who commands tremendous respect from his teammates on both sides of the ball.
From even before he was a starter, he commanded it. IIRC, maybe it was in Patriots Reign but the story was that a new FA signee was in the weight room in 2001 preseason/OTA and Brady was describing coverages to defensive players and how he would attack it. The new player asked " who was that" and when told it was the backup quarterback, he was very impressed.

I read the article and thought it was interesting reading if overly melodramatic. I'd take Richard Sherman on my team any day of the week, and twice on Sunday (as the saying goes). Clearly he CARES, and on the Pats what he complains about on the Seahawks wouldn't be happening here.

His biggest issue, as I see it, isn't so much what happened in superbowl 49, but the failure of anyone to take accountability for what happened then, AND accountability for the lack of offensive production since that game.

Now while I personally believe there was nothing wrong with the play call in superbowl 49. People forget that Lynch was 1-7 in that situation that season, AND the Pats D had stuffed him before in short yardage situations that game, AND the Pats GL defense created a numerical mismatch vs an inside run.

I believe too much is made of Seattle's decision and not about the Pats EXECUTION on that play. It wasn't about what Seattle did wrong on that play it was what Butler and Browner did RIGHT. 99 times out of 100 if the Pats play that play correctly it would have resulted in an incompletion. The greatness of Butler's execution of that play wasn't that he broke up the pass, but was he managed to hold on to the ball after a collision that was so severe it knocked the receiver BACKWARD.

But all that being said, Sherman's complaints wouldn't be valid here since accountability is ingrained into the culture by both the players AND the coaching staff, starting with the 2 most important people in the organization, Brady and BB. No, Sherman would thrive in this enviroment.

But it should be mentioned that Pete Carrol's style was criticized too much in this piece. It was his "style" that allowed Sherman to developed from an overlooked 5th round pick to the best CB in the league. You may want to question his decision to seemingly protect Wilson from any negativity, but you can't argue about what he's managed to get out of Wilson these past 5 years. Anyway, whatever Carroll has done out there has given Seattle a very successful team for last 5 years.

But it also shows goes to point out the genius of BB's program. Of how hard it is to MAINTAIN greatness over time. There are some coaches who are great at building a program, like Parcells. But he failed when he was called upon to maintain it. Carroll is now facing that test. He built a great program in Seattle. Now lets see if his "style" can maintain it.

Last time I posed a similar question I got a pretty satisfying answer from here -

Dunno if it was the Superbowl. Carrol hasn't drafted a starter since 2013 or something crazy like that. His college scouting edge is washed up at this point.

I mean. Call me ignorant but did Carroll really win those games? They utilized a static defense with insane talent at a crazy low price. Then on offense they weren't exactly explosive, just supremely balanced with Lynch and Wilson being an above average QB with some good recovers.

I dunno. Different coaching staff as well. That SB loss stings but if I'm anyone on that team I'm saying "we literally had them on the ropes". That's as close as you get to winning without winning.

Speaking of which, people said the Seahawks draft was good - did they even fix the o line?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes