PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Where the 2016 Patriots had trouble and why

Status
Not open for further replies.

BobDigital

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
A lot of people are making predictions about the Patriots (yours truly as well) and if we are to do that then we should try to know as much about the team as we can. One of the best ways to do that is look at last years team and try to figure out what gave them trouble and will those problems be repeated.

In my humble opinion you can cut the 2016 Patriots year in 2 pieces. The games with Brady and the games without him. Lets focus on the 15 games with him. In those 15 games the Patriots were pushed hard 4 times. The other games were in the bag comfortably in the 4th quarter. Those 4 games were Seattle (week 10), @NJY (week 12) Ravens (Week 14) and the Falcons (Superbowl). Besides those games it never felt like the Pats were close to losing at any other time.

The question is why these 4 games and not the others. What can we learn from them. Let's go a bit out of order.

Ravens week 14. The reason this game was close can be summed up in 2 words. Cyrus Jones. The mistakes made here are obvious and avoidable with botched STs plays turning a almost blowout into a nail biting in the mid 4th quarter. This doesn't really need to be broken down beyond that.

Falcons Super bowl - So much has been said about this game I feel going over it again would be a waste of time. Protecting Brady was of course one of the major issues. This may or may not improve on the year and of course is something to look at as to reasons the Pats could have a hard time vs some teams. I will leave it at that for this game.

These next 2 games will have more meat on the bone.

Seattle week 10. This was at home and the only game lost under Brady that year. There were many reasons this game was lost but if i had to name the main ones it would be these in order of importance. Poor pass defense, Inability to exploit a poor offensive line, losing the turnover battle 2-0 (the Edelman one was rare though). As for the first 2 I believe those could still be issues. As safe as Brady is with the ball he does tend to throw Picks against certain teams and Seattle is one (since 2012). I don't think that is avoidable. Also the Patriots don't have the personal to really exploit a team whose weakness is the offensive line this year so that is still an issue. As for the poor pass defense... It is my hope Gilmore can do something about it. That being said it is just the case with a mobile QB who can pass pretty well, a talented D that gets pressure and defends the pass. This team is just a hard match up for the Patriots. They managed to win the one game that matters the most but all 3 were nail biters and really it felt like coin flipping. Luckily they don't face this team and will not have to deal with these same issues again that I believe would still mostly be there if they were to play again.

At Jets week 12. The Jets seem to give the Patriots trouble particularly at home most years. It came down also to the pass defense having a bad game. Part of it though was letting big talented WRs out muscle our CBs and win jump balls. It is something that tends to give the Patriots trouble; when other teams see a 1 on 1 and throw it up and dare them to pick it off. Particularly Butler had a bad day. A missed 39 yard FG took some key points off the board and a lot of drops. On the whole though I think this day was more a combination of odd and bad things happening more than any particular problem with the Patriots team as well as the Jets giving the Pats a hard time which they tend to do sometimes. I don't see them able to do it this year though. They are even worse than they were last year and to expect those 50/50 balls to be completed and FGs missed and passes dropped and white missing the easy 2 point conversion... I don't see it being an issue again as games were so many things go wrong like this happens only once every few years for the Pats usually.

Also it is worth noting all 4 games were with Gronk hurt (or getting hurt). I think that is a factor united them all you can't overstate.

Generally on the whole games like the Jets and Ravens should not happen again this year as I doubt they let a return man put them in such a bad situation or they have as many bad plays and missed chances in one game again in back to back years.

The Key games are the Falcons and Seahawks. I think the Seahawks have to do partly with how hard the Seahawks are for the Patriots from a match up stand point and they are not on the schedule and hopefully with Gilmore they would not let a non-elite pocket passer like Wilson do that too them again.

As for the Falcons and the problems they gave the Patriots I think they learned a lot from that game and hopefully the line will be able to avoid such a bad showing again. The offense, if healthy, is unlikely to be so shut down for over half the game. Looking at the 2017 schedule I try to picture how this team with the changes made to it will deal with the teams on it schedule and I feel pretty confident besides a few games generally those same issues should not pop up again.

Last edited:
Good take..

Thought the SB was somewhat of an anomaly, as statistically the Pats were still in the game at halftime even though the score said otherwise. What I saw was a slow defensive team in the first half that also had some protection issues, has that been resolved??

Atlanta ran 17 offensive plays in the first half, the Pats ran 40... the Pats "won" the TOP(19:35 vs. 10:25)and yards gained(210 vs. 189) at the halfway mark. The Pats held the edge in 1st downs 13-9. The Falcons scoring 21 points with 17 plays is quite a feat... we all know what happened after 2:21 of the third quarter.

This team has gotten younger and faster and is being rebuilt on the "fly".... but on any given Sunday crap happens.. Unless they are extremely lucky and get all the right bounces do not envision 19-0.. I am content with 13-14 wins and playing in top form for the "tournament"... but if we get to 16-0 cannot wait for Mercury Morris to crawl out of his "crypt" and enlighten us with a few pearls of "wisdom"...

Generally on the whole games like the Jets and Ravens should not happen again this year as I doubt they let a return man put them in such a bad situation or they have as many bad plays and missed chances in one game again.

Return man cost them the Denver game in 2015 too. :mad:

Good take..

Thought the SB was somewhat of an anomaly, as statistically the Pats were still in the game at halftime even though the score said otherwise. What I saw was a slow defensive team in the first half that also had some protection issues, has that been resolved??

Atlanta ran 17 offensive plays in the first half, the Pats ran 40... the Pats "won" the TOP(19:35 vs. 10:25)and yards gained(210 vs. 189) at the halfway mark. The Pats held the edge in 1st downs 13-9. The Falcons scoring 21 points with 17 plays is quite a feat... we all know what happened after 2:21 of the third quarter.

This team has gotten younger and faster and is being rebuilt on the "fly".... but on any given Sunday crap happens.. Unless they are extremely lucky and get all the right bounces do not envision 19-0.. I am content with 13-14 wins and playing in top form for the "tournament"... but if we get to 16-0 cannot wait for Mercury Morris to crawl out of his "crypt" and enlighten us with a few pearls of "wisdom"...
It's mostly about turnovers. Had blount not fumbled and Brady not thrown the pick 6 those stats may have added up to a 14-13 or even 17-14 halftime game.
The one thing the patriots have consistently been in the BB era is a team that rarely turns the ball over. When they do not they are virtually unbeatable. When they have turnovers they make it tougher but still win often.
In the 15 games Brady played the patriots had 12 turnovers. 7 were in the 4 games the op mentioned, 3 of which they won.
In 10 of 15 games they had zero turnovers. That is the "Patriot way" as much as anything else.

Jets play us tough. They almost beat us twice with Geno Smith during the 2014 SB season.

We dominated Baltimore. Cyrus/Slater implosion.

Seattle comes down to Russell Wilson being the most dangerous QB maybe ever vs. BB's scheme. Containing the pocket vs. a great pocket passer so he doesn't scramble doesn't work.

The Falcons roster was & is the only one that can hang with ours blow for blow.

It's mostly about turnovers. Had blount not fumbled and Brady not thrown the pick 6 those stats may have added up to a 14-13 or even 17-14 halftime game.
The one thing the patriots have consistently been in the BB era is a team that rarely turns the ball over. When they do not they are virtually unbeatable. When they have turnovers they make it tougher but still win often.
In the 15 games Brady played the patriots had 12 turnovers. 7 were in the 4 games the op mentioned, 3 of which they won.
In 10 of 15 games they had zero turnovers. That is the "Patriot way" as much as anything else.

Do not disagree about turnovers, there used to be a statistic by Pro Football Focus discussing how turnovers impact the final score, which only adds to reasons they could of lost.

But despite the turnovers still thought they looked and played "slow", even conservatively on Defense....

Does not really matter, but never liked the term "Patriot Way" as that seems to be a media creation in a feeble attempt to explain the success of the Patriots...

Houston was tough too, at least for the first half

Here's a weird one: how the heck do the 2014 Seahawks, an all-time great defense, sack Brady once in the Super Bowl, while the 2016 Falcons were below average all year but somehow sack him 5 times? That's more than the "carrying Peyton's rotting corpse" 2015 Broncos defense got to him in the playoffs against a beat up Patriots team! And that 2015 OL was beat up all year!

"Sometimes football is just crazy" - me, pretty often.

Last edited:
Jets play us tough. They almost beat us twice with Geno Smith during the 2014 SB season.

We dominated Baltimore. Cyrus/Slater implosion.

Seattle comes down to Russell Wilson being the most dangerous QB maybe ever vs. BB's scheme. Containing the pocket vs. a great pocket passer so he doesn't scramble doesn't work.

The Falcons roster was & is the only one that can hang with ours blow for blow.

Seattle came down to some dumb coaching. Taking a knee at the goal-line wasn't exactly BBs' best move.

Houston was tough too, at least for the first half

Sure. But IMO I felt if they were 8 points up or more during the entire 4th quarter it can not be argued you were in jeopardy of losing so that is what I went by. I needed some standard and that was the one I picked. In the Houston game they were never up by less than 8 in the 4th (and they quickly turned into a lot more than 8 in the 4th) so while not an easy game I can't say they were close to losing it.

I still worry about covering RB's out of the backfield, it's been a problem for a few years now and I haven't seen anything to suggest it's going to improve.

covering RB's out of the backfield

I can still picture some of those wheel routes...

Bedard (I think) just reported Harris had a lot of trouble covering RB's against the Texans.

I still worry about covering RB's out of the backfield, it's been a problem for a few years now and I haven't seen anything to suggest it's going to improve.

We don't have speedy linebackers

Here's a weird one: how the heck do the 2014 Seahawks, an all-time great defense, sack Brady once in the Super Bowl, while the 2016 Falcons were below average all year but somehow sack him 5 times? That's more than the "carrying Peyton's rotting corpse" 2015 Broncos defense got to him in the playoffs against a beat up Patriots! And the 2015 OL was beat up all year!

"Sometimes football is just crazy" - me, pretty often.
I agree but different gameplans
(route development)

I can still picture some of those wheel routes...

Bedard (I think) just reported Harris had a lot of trouble covering RB's against the Texans.
Yeah he did the day I was there, that was the Texans most successful plays. I had to look up his number because I figured it was one of the bottom roster guys getting beat that badly.

I agree but different gameplans
(route development)

I know, a lot goes into it, it's just funny how games play out completely contrary to what they seem like they should on the surface.

The Seattle game was also about the defense's difficulty containing certain RBs. Prosise burned the defense for a big TD IIRC. Devonta Freeman tore the defense apart in the Super Bowl. Gillislee gave the defense fits. In 2015, the defense had similar problems with Bilal Powell and Deangelo Williams.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes