PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Super Bowl loss destroyed the Seahawks

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's not the SB that destroyed the Seahawks but the fact that they stumbled into great players in late rounds during 2 drafts but were not able to reproduce any of that in the last 4-5 years......
Combined with the initial low cap hit, giving them more cap space associated with having a third round pick on a rookie contract as your QB until he got his second contract and suddenly the cap is a factor, as well as the other low round picks getting their second contract.....

It's not the SB that destroyed the Seahawks but the fact that they stumbled into great players in late rounds during 2 drafts but were not able to reproduce any of that in the last 4-5 years in combination with said great players getting expensive contracts and removing any depth they had during their 2013 run.

But I am sure that people will continue to tell tales of their supposed great drafting department and whatnot..

Those players that they drafted from 2010-2012 were all players that Carroll scouted when they were coming out of high school and into college. He was extremely familiar with them. Since that familiarity has dissipated, their draft results have followed suit.

Those players that they drafted from 2010-2012 were all players that Carroll scouted when they were coming out of high school and into college. He was extremely familiar with them. Since that familiarity has dissipated, their draft results have followed suit.

That's actually a pretty interesting take on their sudden lack of success in the draft. Can't believe I didn't see something so obvious..

A subtle difference - does Sherman even play offense? If memory serves, Bill O'Brien coached offense and Brady played offense (I wasn't trying to suggest a professional disagreement with a coach earns that result).

Not a big deal but that's Josh McDaniels in the clip.... I believe

Bill B had his 4th and 1 in Indy at the AFC championship game and Pete has this. Play enough games and it happens in a big one. This is a clear case of Pumped and Jacked vs Do Your Job and how the team ends up.

I read the article and thought it was interesting reading if overly melodramatic. I'd take Richard Sherman on my team any day of the week, and twice on Sunday (as the saying goes). Clearly he CARES, and on the Pats what he complains about on the Seahawks wouldn't be happening here.

His biggest issue, as I see it, isn't so much what happened in superbowl 49, but the failure of anyone to take accountability for what happened then, AND accountability for the lack of offensive production since that game.

I totally agree. To the extent the underlying facts and opinions laid out in the piece are true, you see multiple examples of Sherman raging at the lack of accountability that Carroll's sunny-side-up routine tends to leave aside. If they're really treating Wilson differently (i.e., not demanding that he improve upon his errors), then I honestly can't see how other locker room leaders wouldn't have a fit over that type of atmosphere.

The oversimplified microcosm of the 6-6 tie game with Arizona lays out the thesis of the piece very well - Defense plays very well, carrying the team, offense / ST's scores 6 points and they don't win - Carroll says things are great and gives "participation trophy" level praise to everyone, including the OL who had been terrible.

Sherman goes ballistic because this isn't championship caliber behavior on an organizational scale.

But all that being said, Sherman's complaints wouldn't be valid here since accountability is ingrained into the culture by both the players AND the coaching staff, starting with the 2 most important people in the organization, Brady and BB. No, Sherman would thrive in this enviroment.

But it should be mentioned that Pete Carrol's style was criticized too much in this piece. It was his "style" that allowed Sherman to developed from an overlooked 5th round pick to the best CB in the league. You may want to question his decision to seemingly protect Wilson from any negativity, but you can't argue about what he's managed to get out of Wilson these past 5 years. Anyway, whatever Carroll has done out there has given Seattle a very successful team for last 5 years.

But it also shows goes to point out the genius of BB's program. Of how hard it is to MAINTAIN greatness over time. There are some coaches who are great at building a program, like Parcells. But he failed when he was called upon to maintain it. Carroll is now facing that test. He built a great program in Seattle. Now lets see if his "style" can maintain it.

We've seen Carroll maintain the Seahawks' system in the short term - they were nearly 2x champs, 3/4 division winners, playoff contenders since 2013, etc. There's now the question of whether the Seahawks can propagate their success forward systematically over the medium / long term. If they cannot, then you basically have to see the Seahawks' success as a personality driven result (i.e., they were lucky enough to catch lightning in a bottle with good young QB plus Lynch, Bennett, Thomas, Sherman, Chancellor et al. all on the team at the same time).

If Carroll cannot adapt his program to either develop new players to replace superstars, or build upon the remaining time they have with their superstars with a system meant to support them, then we can identify it as a failure on his part.

BB has been amazing at retooling the Patriots, especially in identifying weaknesses via very honest self-scouting.

Moving forward, a lot of it is not going to be about Carroll's football system per se, but rather how well Seattle manages the salary cap and the quality of their personnel decisions in light of the cap. That's something BB has done extremely well. Now that Seattle is going through the stage where they're paying the piper, it's going to be interesting to see how they do.

Now is when we will see just how good Wilson is, IMO. Many years, Brady had to carry a team that didn't have an elite defense or even that many elite offensive players. And naturally, he didn't win a SB in that time, although they were obviously wildly successful otherwise.

Moving forward, a lot of it is not going to be about Carroll's football system per se, but rather how well Seattle manages the salary cap and the quality of their personnel decisions in light of the cap. That's something BB has done extremely well. Now that Seattle is going through the stage where they're paying the piper, it's going to be interesting to see how they do.

Now is when we will see just how good Wilson is, IMO. Many years, Brady had to carry a team that didn't have an elite defense or even that many elite offensive players. And naturally, he didn't win a SB in that time, although they were obviously wildly successful otherwise.
>>And naturally, he didn't win a SB in that time

Really just a fluke that they did not win some Super Bowls in that time. Many of those teams were far better teams than one or two of the years they won the championship.

Losing SBs sucks. For some reason, psychologically, it tends to stick with players and fans even more than losing playoff games. Think of the Bills. Think of our losses to the Giants. If we hadn't made it to the SB those years, if we had lost in the championship round instead, the mediots today would actually probably have a higher evaluation of Brady/BB than the fact that we made it to the SB and lost! It's really strange if you think about it. It is better to not make the SB at all than to make it and lose.

It must have been BRUTAL to be a Bills fan during that fourth loss. My God.

You told me this months ago during the post season and then everything made sense. I even texted a friend and he said "Holyshit you're right".

Am I going too far in that, when you really watch a Seahawks game, that the play calling and overall scheme isn't even that reflective of a great coach?

that's an interesting theory. why wouldn't carroll's scouting work at the next level, though, from college to NFL? is he less involved with scouting at the seahawks than he was at USC?

That's actually a pretty interesting take on their sudden lack of success in the draft. Can't believe I didn't see something so obvious..

People have been talking about this even before it happened, or confirmed in this case. This was a theory people brought still during their SB48/49 run.

A subtle difference - does Sherman even play offense? If memory serves, Bill O'Brien coached offense and Brady played offense (I wasn't trying to suggest a professional disagreement with a coach earns that result).

Sherman, a defensive player, disagreed with the offensive play-calling and got into an argument on the sidelines with the offensive coordinator, having likely spent no time working/practicing with that unit. ("Do your job." - What is Sherman's job?).
It's also fairly well known that BOB can be a hothead.

that's an interesting theory. why wouldn't carroll's scouting work at the next level, though, from college to NFL? is he less involved with scouting at the seahawks than he was at USC?
He didn't just scout the kids coming out of high school. He played against a lot of these players, schemed against them, and saw how they responded. You also must add his college scouting to the scouting he did in the NFL level too.

Last edited:
He didn't just scout the kids coming out of high school. He played against a log of these players, schemed against them, and saw how they responded. You also must add his college scouting to the scouting he scouted the NFL level too.

College coaches are often directly involved with scouting and trying to recruit blue chip prospects. For example, Saban and Meyer will go directly to a prospect's home and speak with their parents in the recruitment process. At the NFL level, a coach needs to lean much more on his scouting department. Those kids that Carroll drafted from 2010-2012? He had been familiar with them for at least 5-7 years (their high school days).

Bill B had his 4th and 1 in Indy at the AFC championship game and Pete has this. Play enough games and it happens in a big one. This is a clear case of Pumped and Jacked vs Do Your Job and how the team ends up.

Wasn't it a 4th and 2 and in a regular season game?

Faulk made the first down too. Pats got hosed.

I never had a problem with BB going for the 4th and 2 against the Colts. If the Pats make it then the game is over. If not then they have maybe a 20% chance fo stopping the Colts from going 30 yards. With the way the game was flowing it seemed unlikely they'd stop Manning regardless. He gave up about 40 yards in field position for the chance to end it with his stronger unit. With the way the past Super Bowl was going at the end if Atlanta was ever in that spot they should have done the same as they were not going to stop Brady regardless of drive length.

The pass play by the Seahawks was not a horrible call. The outcome certainly was for Seattle but if it falls incomplete it gets forgotten.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Back