PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Steelers to part with Tomlin if they Miss playoffs.

Pitt is getting tired of him.
He would be a good for the Jets or Dolphins.

The Pats win and taking the Saints to the brink has to be worth something.

Im not his biggest fan, but I dont buy the Pitt front office operating this way. It would be hush hush if he was really getting the axe.

Seems weird for this kind of news to leak when they don't even control their own destiny. Basically saying that Tomlin's future with the Steelers will be determined by how well the Browns play the Ravens.

Just crap organizational management, IMO. Whether Tomlin stays or gets canned should be decided by the Steelers' play alone. If you think the team being in this position in the first place is a scathing indictment of his coaching, then he should probably be fired even if the Browns gift them a playoff spot. Or if you think this was a tough year and that they did well to be alive at this point and they go take care of business against the Bengals, then keep him around regardless of what the Browns/Ravens do.

I don’t think hed get fired, the steelers prefer continuity and stability, though he cant hold a candle to the last 2 coaches there. Anywhere else hed probably be gone. Hes cost them at least 2 games with poor choices this year , leaving ben on the bench too long in Oakland and the fake punt yesterday when the defense was having a great half. With those 2 wins not only are they in the playoffs but theyd have a shot at the 1 seed right now.

And with the talent they have had there, to not sniff a sb in 8 years now is inexcusable. In 8 seasons, their biggest win was a divisional rd win in kc, and they got stomped out in Foxboro the next week anyways. The Steelers are of course a winning franchise and haven’t had a drought like this since the early 80s to early 90s and I believe bubby brister was the qb, not a hall of famer like they have now. Cowher had them more competitive in the 90s with guys like neil odonnell and kordell Stewart than tomlin can do with ben, that’s saying alot.

giphy.gif

Let’s begin with how stupid this premise is. Essentially Tomlin’s job hinges on the Ravens-Browns result. Sounds like about the most illogical way possible to assess performance. You’re doing good if the Browns win, but you’re canned if the Ravens win. Steelers themselves are 17 point favorites btw.

Tomlin is an overrated coach, but part of it is the players they draft are generally turds with elite football skills. Lots of selfish egos within a hero worship culture in Pittsburgh. My sense is he coaches a lot of guys who like the fame more than the game. They also value athleticism over intelligence. Plenty of morons on those Steelers team through the years. I’m not sure if it’s him, the organization, the city, or whatever that seems to embrace the superstar team model.

He’s probably an average NFL coach, perhaps slightly better. He isn’t close to top-5 like most lazy lists rank him. He also isn’t as outrageously stupid as he often is perceived as.

Regardless I’m glad to see that organization continuing their slow implosion. Just a highly hateable franchise of hypocrites, with selfish egomaniac players, and constantly acting like they’re all class.
In Pittsburgh it really is about the "Jimmys and Joes" and not the "Xs and Os".

I remember listening to Borges praise that kind of thinking while criticizing Bellichick. It is funny to think of how the greatness of Bellichick took down some relatively powerfull "locals" who thought they owned the place, because they took positions opposing the hiring of Bellichick.

Tomlin has benefitted from many talented players. I don’t think he’d do well if all teams had equal talent.

Pitt is getting tired of him.
He would be a good for the Jets or Dolphins.
I think he'd be terrible for the Jets. They need someone who loves Darnold & has a real background on the other side of the ball.

Tomlin has been a joke for years. This is exactly what I mean when I say that the pros don't have it all figured out or even know what they're doing.

Side Note
I'm on PF bc a mod at pp took exception to me calling Tomlin a bad coach.

In Pittsburgh it really is about the "Jimmys and Joes" and not the "Xs and Os".

I remember listening to Borges praise that kind of thinking while criticizing Bellichick. It is funny to think of how the greatness of Bellichick took down some relatively powerfull "locals" who thought they owned the place, because they took positions opposing the hiring of Bellichick.
It'd be nice if he could set his sights on those tomato cans Felger and Shaughnessy.

The Rooney family is amazingly patient and I doubt they move on from tomlin,

Plus tomlin and his staff have done a great job of developing talent (outside of the corner position).

It’s not the players fault that tomlin is a terrible in game coach, whose poor decisions costs the team a game or two per year.

I think this is a bunch of fake news....I agree with the other posters that point out how consistent and patient the Rooney family is.

it also doesnt make sense, while we might think he isnt a great coach he has been consistent and true Steelers are typically a high performance team. Who would they get that would do better....

People in Pittsburgh want his head, which is where all this talk is coming from. I'd be surprised if the Rooneys moved on from Tomlin.

And even if they did bring in a more disciplined coach, you might be looking at a roster retooling. There are some key veteran players in that locker room who are used to running the team; Rapistberger, AB, etc. It's not inconceivable they'd actively undermine a more authoritative coaching approach.

One caveat is that there is talk of Gruden coaching his last game for Oakland.

Gruden/ Pittsburgh is a match made in heaven. He would go from NFL hell to heaven in terms of franchises. Established QB and stable of stud WRs. I have met Jon Gruden and he is a down to earth guy.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Back